Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isn't..

CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

everyone playing this game????

Here's my quick review of this game so far. I spent the majority of my MMO time playing EvE, with some DF1 in there. Tried many others, like PoTBS, Age of Conan, mainly open world, full loot games. I got this off of steam for $19.99 after reading some stuff and watching a few vids. 

I spent 10 hours the first sit down. You start with very little and it's seems like a big world at first. You come to find out, that's it's not very big. You have to harvest some wood and rock to make a hatchet. You need to kill a pig or a deer to get some meat. Make a campfire and cook the meat. Once you got that down...you are basic player.

Next, you need to gather some resources and find a suitable area to make a small dwelling. Inside this dwelling, you will build a workbench, furnace and some storage containers. You will need a sleeping bag bc this is acts as a spawn point in case you die. 

I sorta thought it would take a long time to craft enough stuff to make a pistol, so I hunted with a bow and arrow for a bit. Had I just looked a bit closer, it's maybe the most simple crafting system I've played. You can make a 9mm pistol/shotgun/m4 rifle in no time at all. Crafting ammo is easy.

I realized after a few hours that this isn't an MMO in the traditional sense. It's a sandboxy, first person shooter. If you die with your stuff as you would expect, you lose it. Guess what? Who cares. I can literally go from a stone in hand, to pickaxe, shotgun toting rampaging mofo in less than 1/2 hour. 

When you log in, you are taken to a lobby to select a server. I found few official servers, but many modded and community servers. In retrospect, this should have been a clue to what this game actually was. It's more like CoD or Battlefield but on a much simpler basis. 

If you log in thinking you will need to craft for hours to be viable, you are mistaken. If you log in and think you will never catch up skill wise, there are no skills. 

In summary, it's been a great find for me. It's in alpha, but it runs smooth and the graphics look fine. It's not Skyrim or BF4 graphics, but it's fine for me. 

If you are interested in playing something that requires you to pay attention and like to build stuff and kill people...this might be for you. Just don't expect huge tech progression, bc at the end of the day, it seems like they want you to be competitive fast. It's been well worth $20 to me. 

Hope to see you in game.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
Hiatus: EvE
Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
Interested in: better games in general

Comments

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    It's in early access. I refuse to beta test or do any kind of early access to any game. Otherwise I agree, it looks really fun. I'm excited for it to come out. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by CactusJack

everyone playing this game????

Probably very bad marketing, because I have never heard of this title.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Best video game buy for $20.00 that I have ever spent. Hands down. A game that is this much fun in Alpha is very exciting. People need to know about this game.
    Hackers kinda ruin the game as well, but that will hopefully get taken care of soon. It is such a great game. Hackers are very frustrating though.
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Originally posted by remsleep

My big issue that is preventing me from trying it out are player run servers.

It's just like DAYZ mod (the original, not the DAYZ MMO) - where you were at the mercy of whoever was running the server.

I much prefer a setup where players only have the client - and everything server related is done by the game company.

There is a DayZ MMO?

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

Originally posted by lugal
    Originally posted by remsleep

My big issue that is preventing me from trying it out are player run servers.

It's just like DAYZ mod (the original, not the DAYZ MMO) - where you were at the mercy of whoever was running the server.

I much prefer a setup where players only have the client - and everything server related is done by the game company.

There is a DayZ MMO?

There is a DayZ Standalone early access Alpha going on. That game is also going to be amazing... or at least has the potential to be.