Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes people think it's a sandbox

GintohGintoh Member UncommonPosts: 329
Roberts has said it's a sandbox, but who knows what that means to him? Have other things been mentioned to suggest it's a sandbox,  ie such as SWG? SWG in space would be nice.

Comments

• EinsamWulfEinsamWulf Member Posts: 69

As far as as I understand it, it's a sandbox because it offers you a universe to fly around and pursure your own path as opposed to a themepark that guides you through the world in a much more directed manner.

I'm not sure what you mean by SWG as that game was primarily ground based not space based.

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    EinsamWulf- Legionnaire of Terminus
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Sofar the core mechanics of the game have been about exploration, mining, terraforming plantets,keeping business's running by supplying resources. I'm not sure what else there is I haven't done alot of research on the game.. I just hope this is what I thought SWTOR was going to be.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by kabitoshin
    Sofar the core mechanics of the game have been about exploration, mining, terraforming plantets,keeping business's running by supplying resources. I'm not sure what else there is I haven't done alot of research on the game.. I just hope this is what I thought SWTOR was going to be.

Well so far the core mechanics are walking round a buggy room looking at a ship you bought and firing a gun at a target.

I would think it will be 6-12 months before we can say what ends up in the game.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Sim game cannot really be anything but sandbox.
  • A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276
    sandbox.... u buy the retail game and in the box there is loads of sand...... wtf

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(

• DrailliDrailli Member CommonPosts: 34

In terms of what as been said will be in the game, yes it is a sandbox, there are no levels beyond your own skill to constrain you to certain locations. If you think of theme park games in terms of linear progression, being level based, and guiding you on what you should do, then levels become your "must be this tall to ride this ride" or in true form must be this level to be here effectively. 

In terms of star citizen the whole universe is yours to play with, once it's out. As well the game devs have said that the game will allowed players to buy factories, build modded ships, and sell them like your local car dealer does with dealer installed modifications. The main difference between this game and old SWG is that it has both space and ground based elements, but it will be mostly space based on things like mining and the like, as well it will lack any level progression that makes you better with guns, selling stuff, etc.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by kabitoshin

Well so far the core mechanics are walking round a buggy room looking at a ship you bought and firing a gun at a target.

I would think it will be 6-12 months before we can say what ends up in the game.

Fish tank ....... you forgot the fish tank mechanic.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

There are no sandboxes up in space, that's ridiculous!

Woo, my post-count is the calendar year!