Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All you need to know about Archeage

Comments

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Originally posted by Jonas_SG Sounds like a boring gameplay to me, because what you basicly saying is: " Number of buttons to push = skill " .

If the word "fun" for you associated with pressing only 1-2 buttons, you'll have alot of fun in Archeage

Originally posted by Renoaku

What I want to know which isn't listed here.

1.) Crafting, is it sand-box based, Can I learn and Max all crafts on a single character.

2.) Classes, Can I freely switch between classes on a single character like final Fantasy/Dark Fall?

. If Classes are based on Souls, or Talents, Can I have more one than tree and activate them as I wish to change them.

3.) Can you freely customize your character/ re-customize any time you wish.

4.) Is there housing can I customize it.

1. As far as I know you can learn any profession, but level to max only 2.

2. No you cant. You can drop one skill tree and get another, but if you didnt level it before, it starts at 10 level with only 2 basic skills available. You'll have to grind exp to level it to 50 and unlock other abilities. It will take you about same time as level a character 1-50. If you switch back to your old tree, it will stay 50. Potentially you can have all skill trees at 50, but gl with that. 

3. As far as I know - nope. But there is cosmetic stuff to wear.

4. Yes, but player houses here are only means for crafting top tier gear, since you cant to do it in public crafting stations. Nobody really cares about their homes and decorations from what Ive seen.

• Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

4. Yes, but player houses here are only means for crafting top tier gear, since you cant to do it in public crafting stations. Nobody really cares about their homes and decorations from what Ive seen.

Role Players will care.

Do you know if there is a Role Playing Community in Russian CBT?

Originally posted by Jonas_SG

Role Players will care.

There isnt and there wont be in EU/US. This game offers nothing for roleplayers.

Role Players will care.

There isnt and there wont be in EU/US. This game offers nothing for roleplayers.

Why are you so mad at the game?

I think it offers more to Role Players then any Western MMO this days:

1.  Chat Bubble - with Say/Shout/Whisper.
    2.  Rich Lore - based on Western and Eastern Cultures
    3.  Open world Housing System
    4.  Rich trading system, based on traveling.
    5.  Rich crafting system based on player team work.
    6.  Open World PvP in High level Zones
    7.  Ability to chat with the Enemy players.
    8.  Owning your own territory on the Northern island.
    9.  Pirats.
    10.  An ability to interact with objects - sittng in chairs, sleeping on the bed.
    11.  Lots of Emotes - even a rock-papper-scissors game.

I can go as far as saying this game excually earnes it's RP letters in MMORPG.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Role Players will care.

9.  Pirats.
    10.  An ability to interact with objects - sittng in chairs, sleeping on the bed.

+1

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Role Players will care.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

Wow there is soooo much fail in this review.

Maybe this reviewer should stick to themeparks because it is painfully obvious that is how he is choosing to play AA.

Getting really tired of this kind of reviewer whom feel they need to share their narrow minded view of how they choose to play AA while ignoring 99% of what makes AA unique. Yet another reviewer whom ignored most of the sandbox and played AA like wow, then condemned it.

Honestly everything you decided to review, should have been a footnote to the ACTUAL engaging features AA has but if you can't get out of the themepark mentality, than this is what you get.

I left the best part out: Player Factions.

The system allows to establish independent faction relations with all existing factions (NPC and other player made as well). And also allows you to combine the players who were previously hostile factions (Hariharan and Nuian). During the truce between faction players, they can come to each other's territory, and the guards will not attack them, and you can easily interact with the NPC merchants.

Not in Russian CBT yet i assume, since you need to be lvl 50 to create one.

• dreadlordnafdreadlordnaf Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Thanks for the info, useful.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by steelwind

Wow there is soooo much fail in this review.

Maybe this reviewer should stick to themeparks because it is painfully obvious that is how he is choosing to play AA.

Getting really tired of this kind of reviewer whom feel they need to share their narrow minded view of how they choose to play AA while ignoring 99% of what makes AA unique. Yet another reviewer whom ignored most of the sandbox and played AA like wow, then condemned it.

Honestly everything you decided to review, should have been a footnote to the ACTUAL engaging features AA has but if you can't get out of the themepark mentality, than this is what you get.

I got the feeling that OP is a frustrated solo themeparker.  

Edit:  As the thread continues, I may be wrong.  I think OP just has very different tastes than some of us.  It also appears that while the PvP does have meaning it doesn't have EvE/Darkfall level of risk vs reward.  I was hoping that it would find a medium between Darkfall and themepark instanced PvP.  At this point it's a bit too close to no risk themepark PvP for my ideal system.  OP's other complaints about balance may be valid as well.  Other than that I think OP is being overly negative.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200

Role Players will care.

This is the most nonsense and the biggest lie you just told.

9.  Pirats.

I played many games friendly to roleplayers, LoTRO on RP server, Star Wars: Galaxies on Starsider, Face of Mankind. I know where there is good ground for quality RP. Archeage is probably one of the worst MMOs for RPers since not only they dont have right tools for it, but most AA players couldnt care less about roleplay. They seek war here. What you listed is laughable. You'll know why, when you actually play the game.

Well, maybe our meaning is different and you consider just sitting in your ship and enjoying the view - a great roleplaying as a pirate. Then yeah, you can imagine anything if you want. But for me its interaction between players.

• arunasmearunasme Member UncommonPosts: 129

I like the people that bash the dude for skipping out on "whats most imporant/real features that define AA"

You guys are idiots, havent you lurked on the internet long enough to see that mmo's are not getting anywhere, AA is your typical mmo, it brings nothing new, nothing fresh, nothing that will keep you playing and coming back for more as months pass.

"Reviewed the core/basic elements, but skipped out on the "important stuff" - are you guys joking ? Since when do people care about all that "revolutionary" other STUFF?

I'll give you my numbers, because you know what? Fuck you. 99% of the playerbase of any given mmo only care about leveling up as easy as possible as fast as possible.

Every instance run, quest chain, gear set, skill set, race+class synergys, material locations, etc are choosen by players even prior to any mmo release to ensure that everything up to cap, will be done as fast and effeciant as possible.

The majority don't care about the billion skills you get. Learn only "those" main ones that are tested, working and owning.

The majority don't care about the huge world and all of it's secret, who has fucking time for that? I need to level faster.

The majority don't care about endless number for unique dungeons and raids. Just pick the top 3 with the best gear drops/time to complete ratio.

The majority don' care about all the "other" stuff, because the rewards are shit and you waste your time.

NOW, if youre the 1% of players that supposedly explore every corner, raid, use what the game is ofering even if the rewards are shit( and while reading these forums from time to time, I'm under the impression that 99% of the POSTERS are that 1%) you wount be able to do it. Because it will feel lonely, empty, cold and worthless.

I'll end this most epic and eye opening post with my words of wisdom. Something that (most of the people who are bashing the review for saying he TRUTH)  should tattoo on theyr dick's and read each time while taking a piss and waiting on a new mmo to download.

"I'm a casual player, why on earth would I waste my time saving the princess in neverland on the other side of the pond if all I get is a fucking hp potion or a random mystical reward?"

P.S. For the ones who post along the lines: the game is beta, its an old version or "YOU SHOULD REACH END-GAME LEVEL THATS WHERE THE FUN STARTS" -

FUCK YOU, THE GAME SHOULD BE INTERESTING AND IMMERSIVE SINCE LEVEL 1 IF ITS NOT THERE WHY ON EARTH SHOULD I GRIND MY TEETH DOING SOMETHING I DONT LIKE FOR 100 HOURS TO LATER ENJOY MYSELF FOR "x" HOURS WHICH, 99% OF THE TIMES, WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

God, that felt good. Thanks !

9.  Pirats.

I played many games friendly to roleplayers, LoTRO on RP server, Star Wars: Galaxies on Starsider, Face of Mankind. I know where there is good ground for quality RP. Archeage is probably one of the worst MMOs for RPers since not only they dont have right tools for it, but most AA players couldnt care less about roleplay. They seek war here. What you listed is laughable. You'll know why, when you actually play the game.

Well, maybe our meaning is different and you consider just sitting in your ship and enjoying the view - a great roleplaying as a pirate. Then yeah, you can imagine anything if you want. But for me its interaction between players.

You are loosing more and more credibility with every post you make, maybe its time to move on?!

Btw, in case you didn't notice, AA is heavily critisized for it's creative freedom and immersion breakers (I am not one of those). So one could argue that there is almost too much freedom for RPing, so much so that it overflows to players that don't want to see it. But I am guessing you probably missed all that because you were too busy going from quest hub to quest hub. My experience (and I guarantee is far, far beyond yours) is that RPing is more alive and well that just about any MMO in existence.

Btw, why don't you tell  us about the house you built, what ships you had. Your stories from the vast oceans. Tell us about how trading faired for you, did you take any risks? How about your stories about pvp encounters at Freedom? How about those castle sieges you took part in, up north. How about your treasure hunting experiences? Anything?

Originally posted by arunasme

I like the people that bash the dude for skipping out on "whats most imporant/real features that define AA"

You guys are idiots, havent you lurked on the internet long enough to see that mmo's are not getting anywhere, AA is your typical mmo, it brings nothing new, nothing fresh, nothing that will keep you playing and coming back for more as months pass.

"Reviewed the core/basic elements, but skipped out on the "important stuff" - are you guys joking ? Since when do people care about all that "revolutionary" other STUFF?

I'll give you my numbers, because you know what? Fuck you. 99% of the playerbase of any given mmo only care about leveling up as easy as possible as fast as possible.

Every instance run, quest chain, gear set, skill set, race+class synergys, material locations, etc are choosen by players even prior to any mmo release to ensure that everything up to cap, will be done as fast and effeciant as possible.

The majority don't care about the billion skills you get. Learn only "those" main ones that are tested, working and owning.

The majority don't care about the huge world and all of it's secret, who has fucking time for that? I need to level faster.

The majority don't care about endless number for unique dungeons and raids. Just pick the top 3 with the best gear drops/time to complete ratio.

The majority don' care about all the "other" stuff, because the rewards are shit and you waste your time.

NOW, if youre the 1% of players that supposedly explore every corner, raid, use what the game is ofering even if the rewards are shit( and while reading these forums from time to time, I'm under the impression that 99% of the POSTERS are that 1%) you wount be able to do it. Because it will feel lonely, empty, cold and worthless.

I'll end this most epic and eye opening post with my words of wisdom. Something that (most of the people who are bashing the review for saying he TRUTH)  should tattoo on theyr dick's and read each time while taking a piss and waiting on a new mmo to download.

"I'm a casual player, why on earth would I waste my time saving the princess in neverland on the other side of the pond if all I get is a fucking hp potion or a random mystical reward?"

P.S. For the ones who post along the lines: the game is beta, its an old version or "YOU SHOULD REACH END-GAME LEVEL THATS WHERE THE FUN STARTS" -

FUCK YOU, THE GAME SHOULD BE INTERESTING AND IMMERSIVE SINCE LEVEL 1 IF ITS NOT THERE WHY ON EARTH SHOULD I GRIND MY TEETH DOING SOMETHING I DONT LIKE FOR 100 HOURS TO LATER ENJOY MYSELF FOR "x" HOURS WHICH, 99% OF THE TIMES, WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

God, that felt good. Thanks !

Players like you are what is ruining today's MMO's. Stick to FPS games they seem to fit your style better.

You did get one thing right, casuals should probably stay away from AA.

Originally posted by steelwind You are loosing more and more credibility with every post you make, maybe its time to move on?!

It is not my intend to win credibility of obvious AA fan, that any neg about the game considers personal insult.

Here are some facts. There werent any known RP guilds on korean servers. There arent any on russian beta servers. I never heard nor seen anyone roleplaying in AA. If you think you can - more power to you.

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194

High end content

For solo and small group of players there is nothing to do here at all. Well, you can farm like 5 dungeons on 50. And you can grow crops. Thats it. Top clans wont let you even get close to raid bosses. They wont let you do trading routs by sea - your trading goods will be taken away almost always. And northern continent is also only for big clan wars. No other end game activities, sorry.

Archeage is the game for PvP clans to decide whose D is bigger. And you as casual player is not welcome in this competition.

Thanks a lot for the writeup. Managed to revive my interest which was almost gone after the news of the retarded currency system they planned.

I take it that you never played EvE online nor any other sandboxy game. You know if there was too much "content" at high level people wouldn't have to think of creating their own. But as far as you described they actually have to and they do so splendidly. I really hope that the players here in western europe will bes as creative and consequential as the PvP clans you mention.

On the other hand if you personally want to have fun in such a game stop asking what it can do for you and just start creating content. Even small gangs can do some pirating and mischief or you go with a bunch of friends to get the monopoly on trade resources in certain areas. The possibilities are much broader than just do a daily routine of waiting in the capital for the moronic LFG tool to pop you into a boring PVE dungeon with total strangers you will probably meet never again.

Originally posted by steelwind You are loosing more and more credibility with every post you make, maybe its time to move on?!

It is not my intend to win credibility of obvious AA fan, that any neg about the game considers personal insult.

Here are some facts. There werent any known RP guilds on korean servers. There arent any on russian beta servers. I never heard nor seen anyone roleplaying in AA. If you think you can - more power to you.

One of the first rules of RPers is never to force RP on to others. So if you don't want to RP, no game is going to force you in to it.

1. Chat Bubble - with Say/Shout/Whisper.
    2. Rich Lore - based on Western and Eastern Cultures
    3. Open world Housing System
    4. Rich trading system, based on traveling.
    5. Rich crafting system based on player team work.
    6. Open World PvP in High level Zones
    7. Ability to chat with the Enemy players.
    8. Owning your own territory on the Northern island.
    9. Pirats.
    10. An ability to interact with objects - sittng in chairs, sleeping on the bed.
    11. Lots of Emotes - even a rock-papper-scissors game.

If you don't see that list as a tool for Role Play - You are not a Role Player and should go back to your PvP Arena in WoW and 60 button mashing skills.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    Very accurate review that fanboi's deny to the grave.
    Originally posted by Rylah Thanks a lot for the writeup. Managed to revive my interest which was almost gone after the news of the retarded currency system they planned.

I take it that you never played EvE online nor any other sandboxy game. You know if there was too much "content" at high level people wouldn't have to think of creating their own. But as far as you described they actually have to and they do so splendidly. I really hope that the players here in western europe will bes as creative and consequential as the PvP clans you mention.

On the other hand if you personally want to have fun in such a game stop asking what it can do for you and just start creating content. Even small gangs can do some pirating and mischief or you go with a bunch of friends to get the monopoly on trade resources in certain areas. The possibilities are much broader than just do a daily routine of waiting in the capital for the moronic LFG tool to pop you into a boring PVE dungeon with total strangers you will probably meet never again.

I have 70 mil char in EVE not counting alts. But AA is nothing like EVE where PvP and other activities have a meaning and benefits.

You can do pirating in small groups, yes, but you get nothing for sinking other ships. And they dont even suffer much, since ship can be restored with crafted item "Glasses". Taking trading packs from others was the only reward for PvP, but guess what, XLGames recently announced that if you took someones pack and delivered it to NPC, you dont get full price for it anymore. Only 40%, while the man who crafted pack gets 60% (could be otherwise, not sure) by mail.

• RiannesRiannes Member UncommonPosts: 98

very very good review. appreciated and thank you.

i had high hope for this game, seeing it as L2 legacy.

not so much anymore (and not only due to reading your review but from other sources as well).

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by fodell54

Role Players will care.

9.  Pirats.

+1

Yeah, as a dedicated roleplayer in these games, this game offers more to a roleplayer by your own review than any game I have seen in the last 10 years. I appreciate the honest look at it, and liked your review, but you are just flat out wrong about it not offering anything to roleplayers. A sandbox world with player housing? Yeah, sounds great to me.

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194

I have 70 mil char in EVE not counting alts. But AA is nothing like EVE where PvP and other activities have a meaning and benefits.

You can do pirating in small groups, yes, but you get nothing for sinking other ships. And they dont even suffer much, since ship can be restored with crafted item "Glasses". Taking trading packs from others was the only reward for PvP, but guess what, XLGames recently announced that if you took someones pack and delivered it to NPC, you dont get full price for it anymore. Only 40%, while the man who crafted pack gets 60% (could be otherwise, not sure) by mail.

Hmmm. Now then it seems I misunderstood you. That is indeed fubar. From earlier reports I had the impression that you could rob caravans and ships. A sandbox which only consists of a glorified version of Farmerama is useless.

Originally posted by Rylah Thanks a lot for the writeup. Managed to revive my interest which was almost gone after the news of the retarded currency system they planned.

I don't find EvE to have a meaningful PvP and i have a char with 81 Mil skill points.

What XLGames announced, they announced for Korean version, and by the time it arrive to  NA/EU - it will be many months later. It can even change due to feedback from Korean players.