Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free-Roaming vs. Linear Level Design

13»

Comments

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Helleri
    Originally posted by jazz.be

The way it's described here I'd choose heavy free roaming.

I wouldn't define as you did (free roaming vs linear) but it doesn't matter.

I absolutely dislike MMO game worlds with panoramic views, unreachable for the players. I absolutely love the feeling that everything is reachable, and possibly something can be found there, even if it's just a waterfall, fountain, npc ...

This is something I really hate in WoT...Yes, they are instanced battles. But, that red line and seeing all the places I want to take my tank off in the distance gets to me. Especially when it comes to where exactly they choose to place that "you shall not pass" line, sometimes.

If that goes through your head while playing WoT, you're just plain playing wrong.

I'm in a Dicker Max (the first TD I have been in where heavy tanks actually panic at my approach and make bad mistakes)...I can afford to lay down dmg's as I wonder about the universe i'm in.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    should make a poll, i vote free roaming
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    should make a poll, i vote free roaming

Sure, why not.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,935
    Nicely written post, OP.  Free-roaming ftw.  I'll quit a game that makes me feel boxed in.  I thought of RIFT as mostly free roaming and have lots of screen shots in places no one would bother going because there were no quests there.  I'm one of those players looking for the glitch where you can fall off the map.  Btw, I want on top of that mountain anyway.  No limits.

Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    Nicely written post, OP.  Free-roaming ftw.  I'll quit a game that makes me feel boxed in.  I thought of RIFT as mostly free roaming and have lots of screen shots in places no one would bother going because there were no quests there.  I'm one of those players looking for the glitch where you can fall off the map.  Btw, I want on top of that mountain anyway.  No limits.

I find it fun if I locate a spot where if i step a certain direction from just the right angle I glitch to way outside the map (and taking another step in any direction glitches me back) on free-roaming games, like...

[Aika Online]

But there is a breaking point where I am just like "Oh c'mon!" *rage quit*

I think the last one I played that was like that was Aerreven. If I recall correctly the last time I saw my orc, he was moon walking into the infinite void after falling through a building and out of the map. I must have fallen out of or off of the map a good 10 times inside an hour of play. Relogs fixed most of them but the last one (which I never got a response about from the devs).

Actually... stay away from that game. It's not just falling out of the map constantly without even trying to. Many doorways won't fit tall characters. You can take falling damage walking down stairs. Enemies can agro you from much further away then you can target them. Your view will be constantly bumped by so much stuff it's insane. As I recall it...that was one of the more horrible MMORPG experiences I have had. One of those very few games that I would confidently call un-playable.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,774
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Helleri
    Originally posted by jazz.be

The way it's described here I'd choose heavy free roaming.

I wouldn't define as you did (free roaming vs linear) but it doesn't matter.

I absolutely dislike MMO game worlds with panoramic views, unreachable for the players. I absolutely love the feeling that everything is reachable, and possibly something can be found there, even if it's just a waterfall, fountain, npc ...

This is something I really hate in WoT...Yes, they are instanced battles. But, that red line and seeing all the places I want to take my tank off in the distance gets to me. Especially when it comes to where exactly they choose to place that "you shall not pass" line, sometimes.

If that goes through your head while playing WoT, you're just plain playing wrong.

Why? WoT is a free entertainment product. I don't see why a reason why he can't play it anyway he wants, as long as he is having fun. Certainly it is a weird way, different from most. But there is no "wrong" way to enjoy a game. Just different ways.

Just like i play many MMOs as single player games. I don't see a reason why i should not enjoy entertainment products as i see fit.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by flguy147
    I dont care either way.   I just want to log on and have fun.  If the game is designed the way i enjoy then both ways are fine by me.  

Exactly words I wanted to post. :-)