Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Most Wanted Indie MMOs of 2014

124»

Comments

  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by BearKnight

    No disrespect, but William Murphy needs to learn what an MMO is. Some of these don't even belong on this list, such as Hex or DayZ. 

     

    Hex is a Card Game, and DayZ is a lobby based individual server-to-server set. It is FAR from ever being anything near an MMO.

     

    DayZ is essentially just normal Arma with zombies and a better interaction system.

    Actually, I do know. Trust me. But I also know where the genre's headed, and how the somehow predetermined definition of what MMORPG means is changing. And frankly, if we as gamers can't accept that the MMO is broadening, we don't deserve to see the fruits such changes could potentially offer.

    Broadening is great the genre needs more breadth than just RPGs but what we have here is not broadening but watering down.The Term MMO has become all but useless now as it is used by the industry and it's "Journalists" to include anything with online play no matter how limited in scale.

  • delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Actually, I do know. Trust me. But I also know where the genre's headed, and how the somehow predetermined definition of what MMORPG means is changing. And frankly, if we as gamers can't accept that the MMO is broadening, we don't deserve to see the fruits such changes could potentially offer.

    Sorry but I simply can not agree with this.

    What qualifies a game to be a MMORPG is not changing.

    A game such as DayZ is not a MMORPG, sure it might be a great game but a MMORPG it most def will not be

  • KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Black Gold

    Texas tea.  Well the next thing you know ole Jed's a millionaire 

    hehe talk about datiing your self. was a fun show in th day.

  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,581
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

    The Repopulation is SWG's spiritual successor.

    The only light in the dark MMO tunnel.

    Huh?  The repopulation is nothing like SWG.  Where in the world did you get that idea.  Full loot pvp has no place in an indie game ever, unless they can magically players to using only their client when playing the game.

    Are you being serious with this post? The guys behind The Repopulation where massive SWG fans from what I read and a lot of the initial features in The Repopulation where very similar to SWG and even the interface looked a lot like it.

     

    Also how does full loot pvp have no place in an indie game ? For starters the game will have different servers with hardcore rules and two full loot brings to much to MMORPGs and since playing darkfall and mortal online I find it very hard to get into an mmorpg without full loot as I get bored too fast.

    Full loot pvp means tons of cheaters on an indie game and I have yet to find an indie company than can even come close to restraining them.  I don't get people who ignore the obvious.

  • LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

    Multiplayer currently is just any game with more than 1 player on the same screen playing.

    Massively Multiplayer is more than 2 players at the same time.

    So stop arguing about whether something is MMO Or not.

    Our old definition of having more than 1,000,000 players on the screen online to be considered Massively Multiplayer is now outdated and needs to be redefined.

    Lets get back to looking forward to new and better games for our future as gamers. Instead of worrying about what is a true MMO or not. As long as its fun, uses new innovations and can make me play it for hours long. Then its an great game.

    Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

  • DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

    FYI Black Desert  is an indie company, yes the CEO has been around the company is new and about 50 members.

     

     

    It is considered one because they never really made games as a TEAM before. If this was the case heck I worked for many known company's before, but my newer company is considered indie because we are newer , and smaller.... We also have a low budget... We have the been around in the industry for years, so we should count as AAA , but we can't .. Just like this company.

     

     

    They should be I agree but not just  yet, so the writer is still right here.

     

    The famous Dae-Il Kim is coming back as the CEO of Pearl Abyss, a newly established game studio whose co-founder is Ja-Min Yoon. Dae-Il Kim is the star developer who was in charge of the developments for RYL Online, R2, and C9. Here is a brief summary of his resumé. 2000. Enters GamaSoft 2003. Developes RYL Online, a MMORPG in GamaSoft 2003. Moves to NHN Games 2006. Developes R2 in NHN Games 2009. [...]

  • KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    How can you have DayZ ahead of RUST? :S

    www.daneslaw.com

    @GamerKurisu

    Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Black Desert, The Repopulation and Shroud of the Avatar for me.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

    "Elite Dangerous is a first person spaceship MMORPG"

     

    what the hell?? total BS this is a space trading sim, not a RPG

     

    and it is not even an MMO it is peer2peer pseudo multiplayer, mostly singleplayer focus game

     

    I am baffled what kind of titles end up on lists here.

     

    next time they'll call War Thunder a RPG and Candy Crush an MMO.

     

    So the fact that this title is placed in front of actual MMORPGs on the list, is almost as baffling as the 10/10 innovation rating of GW2

  • docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184

    everything is getting blurred here :(

    Day-Z e.g. was announced not to be released until 2015. And as pointed out, is it a MMO?

    Shroud of the Avatar is also afaik a single player with online options, not a true MMO?

    then again what is an MMO.... what the heck, Diablo 3 is listed here, so.....

    oh well, *shrugs*

    --------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

  • PumaClipperPumaClipper Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by DocBrody

    "Elite Dangerous is a first person spaceship MMORPG"

     

    what the hell?? total BS this is a space trading sim, not a RPG

     

    and it is not even an MMO it is peer2peer pseudo multiplayer, mostly singleplayer focus game

     

    I am baffled what kind of titles end up on lists here.

     

    next time they'll call War Thunder a RPG and Candy Crush an MMO.

     

    So the fact that this title is placed in front of actual MMORPGs on the list, is almost as baffling as the 10/10 innovation rating of GW2

     

    Is "Elite: Dangerous" an MMOG?

     

    Will there be any roleplaying elements?

  • heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Black Gold

    Texas tea.  Well the next thing you know ole Jed's a millionaire 

    Logged in just to say that was hilarious.

    TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

    Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

    Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

  • Com_RavenCom_Raven Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by dakotaaoc08
    It's kind of funny that at one point Hex was going to be a fps mmo I think that was back in 2008 or so.  There was an article about it in Game Informer I believe and I have been looking forward to it ever since.

     

    I am not sure what game you are thinking of, but I think there is some confusion here... Cryptozoic was only formed in 2010, and I never heard anything about them doing a FPS (especially with Hex- they have a ton of CCG vets on their team).

    I would also argue that Hex is a MMO- you have different characters with races and classes, they gets stronger over time during PvE, including raids and dungeons, you can form guilds- all of which screams MMO, given how it is persistent. Surely that should take precedence over the fact that you use cards to fight?

    And for Black Desert, he clearly explained why it is listed under "Indie": Because there is no publisher signed. Which makes sense, right? Once they sign one, I am sure that it will be on the 2015 list for AAA MMOs.

     

  • NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

    Trust me. But I also know where the genre's headed, and how the somehow predetermined definition of what MMORPG means is changing. And frankly, if we as gamers can't accept that the MMO is broadening, we don't deserve to see the fruits such changes could potentially offer.

    I'm ok without that fruits. They are usually rotten anyway. And "means is changing" sounds more like "now PR department stamp it on everything just for marketing purpose" for me every time i hear that excuse. If yesterday online shooters like Call of Duty, Battlefield (multiplayer part of this games) or good old Counter-Strike were just "online FPS" now they are "MMOFPS" or "MMO shooters" (usually with f2p business model just to milk you for more cash) *nod to the dark corner with World of Tanks, Point Blank and games like that in it* Sorry, i'll never accept that. The only MMOFPS i know is Planetside.  Actually now it's enough to make some service like old Battle.net to justify MMO label on your lobby based online game. Know why? Because now it's popular! Means of MMO isn't changing, but this change is forced upon us by publishers no matter if we like it or not.

     
  • Com_RavenCom_Raven Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by dakotaaoc08
    It's kind of funny that at one point Hex was going to be a fps mmo I think that was back in 2008 or so.  There was an article about it in Game Informer I believe and I have been looking forward to it ever since.

     

    I am not sure what game you are thinking of, but I think there is some confusion here... Cryptozoic was only formed in 2010, and I never heard anything about them doing a FPS (especially with Hex- they have a ton of CCG vets on their team).

    I would also argue that Hex is a MMO- you have different characters with races and classes, they gets stronger over time during PvE, including raids and dungeons, you can form guilds- all of which screams MMO, given how it is persistent. Surely that should take precedence over the fact that you use cards to fight?

    And for Black Desert, he clearly explained why it is listed under "Indie": Because there is no publisher signed. Which makes sense, right? Once they sign one, I am sure that it will be on the 2015 list for AAA MMOs.

     

  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by BearKnight

    No disrespect, but William Murphy needs to learn what an MMO is. Some of these don't even belong on this list, such as Hex or DayZ. 

     

    Hex is a Card Game, and DayZ is a lobby based individual server-to-server set. It is FAR from ever being anything near an MMO.

     

    DayZ is essentially just normal Arma with zombies and a better interaction system.

    Actually, I do know. Trust me. But I also know where the genre's headed, and how the somehow predetermined definition of what MMORPG means is changing. And frankly, if we as gamers can't accept that the MMO is broadening, we don't deserve to see the fruits such changes could potentially offer.

    There are red oranges in this world, we still call them oranges, not apples. Just because the skin is red doesnt make it an apple.

    Fact is the definition is being changed by people that have no clue what a mmo is. Helping the uneducated along by giving into their not understanding is bad.

    A lobby game is a lobby game, a single player is a single player, and a single player with multi player support is just that. These are not mmo's just because you can group with a handful of people lol.

    Fact is a mmo is very clear in definition. Coop games are not mmo's. A shooter game is not a mmo or COD and BF games would all be labeled as a MMO. Lobby games are not mmo's oe SC and other games like that would be called MMO's.  I play card games online all the time, is poker a mmo now just because i play against thousands of people? These developers add that on there to attract people, but in the end they are not mmo's!

     

    Sorry but i disagree with this. Perhaps you should write a column on the definitions and set people straight. MMORPG.com sure has changed over the years, use to be about real mmo's now all kinds of trash can get in here, even with having other sites for FPS and RTS games.

  • I have to agree with those that dispute your vision of the MMORPG is changing, Mr. Murphy. PR types want to get their games included on as many lists as possible, and so have no problem fudging definitions or flat out making up new ones. See the recent "core gamers" discussion.

    The definition of 'What's an MMORPG' is not changing. The intentional fudging of definitions, which years ago we would have called lying, but of course no one uses that word anymore, by PR people does not somehow magically convert an online card game into a MMORPG. Nor will it cause people in an MMOFPS to start RPing.

    I certainly have no problem if MMORPG.com wants to start covering MMOFPS's, MMOTCG's, or MMOSHS's, but please don't BS us and try to tell us that they're MMORPG's.

    Paragon City Refugee - "We're heroes. It's what we do."

  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,005
    SoTA is not an MMO though..... wtf?!?!?!?
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,005
    After going over the list again, I don't think this guy knows what Indie or MMO means.
Sign In or Register to comment.