Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Most Wanted Indie MMOs of 2014

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by BearKnight

No disrespect, but William Murphy needs to learn what an MMO is. Some of these don't even belong on this list, such as Hex or DayZ. 

Hex is a Card Game, and DayZ is a lobby based individual server-to-server set. It is FAR from ever being anything near an MMO.

DayZ is essentially just normal Arma with zombies and a better interaction system.

Actually, I do know. Trust me. But I also know where the genre's headed, and how the somehow predetermined definition of what MMORPG means is changing. And frankly, if we as gamers can't accept that the MMO is broadening, we don't deserve to see the fruits such changes could potentially offer.

You also put Black Desert as an indie MMO, when it is not an indie MMO! You should know that since this site interviewed them. And yes, I've said it twice because it bugs the crap out of me. It's an AAA+ title and shouldn't be labeled wrongly.

Smile

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Razeekster

No disrespect, but William Murphy needs to learn what an MMO is. Some of these don't even belong on this list, such as Hex or DayZ. 

Hex is a Card Game, and DayZ is a lobby based individual server-to-server set. It is FAR from ever being anything near an MMO.

DayZ is essentially just normal Arma with zombies and a better interaction system.

Actually, I do know. Trust me. But I also know where the genre's headed, and how the somehow predetermined definition of what MMORPG means is changing. And frankly, if we as gamers can't accept that the MMO is broadening, we don't deserve to see the fruits such changes could potentially offer.

You also put Black Desert as an indie MMO, when it is not an indie MMO! You should know that since this site interviewed them. And yes, I've said it twice because it bugs the crap out of me. It's an AAA+ title and shouldn't be labeled wrongly.

I have admit Bill that one kinda threw me back myself. Really didn't think Black Desert was an indie MMO.

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted Member Posts: 121

It's obvious MMO's are broadening, this site should embrace the emerging genres, but to call anything that is MMO an MMORPG is just wrong.

• CypruskaCypruska Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Are these indie games? I thought indie games were a lousy-image-feeling bunch of games. These look like hot, attractive and amusing MMO's. What up?
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

No Pathfinder Online?

smh

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    SotA: When it releases you'll get my money until then have a nice day.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
     Shroud of the Avatar looks like a screenshot of Bree in LotRO...

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• akathosakathos Member UncommonPosts: 179

A-men!!  as another mentioned, seems like im guessing they got paid money to advertise this 'mod' because I'm sorry lets face it... DAYZ Standalone is still an ARMA 3 mod, a few different textures, the survival from Dayz mod, just with a separate .exe and they are charging for it.... I refuse to even buy this stand alone. It's just ARMA 3 zombie mode with a bit of TLC spent on annimation and textures/loot ....

It's a lobbied Shooter mod of a game, it is NOT an MMORPG,

Starting to tire of seeing these games claiming to be an MMORPG by this site... please clean it up.... or change your website name...

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Gloria Victis should be top of list IMO.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

What specifically makes DayZ an MMORPG?  I would like this new definition for the coming age.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by superconducting

have you tried it?  Cause if you have I dont see how you can say that

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Some non MMO games on that list.

1. Easily The Repopulation
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Originally posted by Myrdynn
    Originally posted by superconducting

have you tried it?  Cause if you have I dont see how you can say that

Wouldn't have said that if I didn't. Have you?

The hypemeter, although not the best indicator, is way more accurate than this list.

• AtadisAtadis Member Posts: 56
    The Repopulation should be 1! Lol at least that's the one I'm most excited for this year.
  • ShaggySanShaggySan Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys this is Dusty "Shaggy" O'Brien the community manager for HEX: Shards of Fate. I wanted to introduce myself here and invite everyone to ask any questions they have about our game. Everyone here at Cryptozoic is very excited to be #4 on your list. We are currently in the Alpha testing phase and working hard to meet and exceed your expectations.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

1.  The Repopulation.  Everything else is arguable at best.

@Shaggy -  Don't get too excited about the list, that is something Bill and his staff dream up, the community has nothing to do with it.

Speaking of Bill - pretty lame using the 'I see the future' excuse for throwing games so obviously NOT MMO's onto this list.  imo anyway.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

A mixed bag there, half of them should not be considered MMOs let alone being on the list.

Anyway only SotA, Black Desert and The Repopulation are interesting enough in that list.

Black Desert though is not going to be released in 2014, and I doubt SotA will be out by Xmas this year.

Only The Repopulation will release in 2014, so we have a winner there.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Black Gold

Texas tea.  Well the next thing you know ole Jed's a millionaire 

Cali-forny is the place he ought ta be!

• ZackBladeZackBlade Member Posts: 1
    I gotta say I'm excited for HEX. If the argument is what constitutes as a "mmorpg" then please feel free to correct me but i understand it as a game, online, with many people, taking on roles of a user created character, and going thru raids while leveling up and growing stronger with their guilds? In this argument would you all discount Kingdom Hearts : chain of memories as being an action game because it used a card mechainic? Hex embodies everything of a MMORPG and develops new views on it. Just because you can't press space bar to jump doesn't discount it from the genre in my opinion.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I personally think Black Desert is hands down going to be better than any of those other games and by a long shot.There is also other better games like Bless and a few other foreign market games as well,titles slip me for now,obviously they get no marketing over here.

I would have thought Star Citizen would have made it from this site,it is a kickstarter game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Hatefull

1.  The Repopulation.  Everything else is arguable at best.

@Shaggy -  Don't get too excited about the list, that is something Bill and his staff dream up, the community has nothing to do with it.

Speaking of Bill - pretty lame using the 'I see the future' excuse for throwing games so obviously NOT MMO's onto this list.  imo anyway.

Please don't generalize image. HEX (in its current alpha state) is an awesome game with so much potential. Really looking forward to see how this game develops.

Edit: @ShaggySan - Welcome to MMORPG image

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    hex's lead designer is in the M:TG hall of fame (yes there is such a thing) so yu know he has his credentials when it comes to TCG design.  Other than M:TG its the best trading card game i've ever seen.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Gloria Victis for me.  It looks clunky as heck, but it seems to have the look of what I want, and thats RPG back in my mmorpg. The others look interesting, but nothing else to really look forward to.

edit: pretty decent Gameplay footage.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I am sure a lot of us have put great though into this over the years. Frankly it is getting very hard to understand what sort of game a multiplayer when they are all being dumped into the "mmo" category.

There truly needs to be some refinement. They used to be called mmorpg and this was shortened to mmo likely to broaden the genre description (likely for developer needs rather than consumers). The issue is way too many games are being dumped into this category and you now have many completely different player bases bumping heads in a genre once considered niche. Voices are being drowned out and this is entirely unfair to players.

I can understand the term "mmo" being considered far more broad than "mmorpg" but this site and even the entire mmo industry needs to start differentiating these games a little more. This and other sites along with developers do consumers a disservice when treating everyone the same. There is absolutely no chance that long term mmorpg players have the exact same interests as those bouncing around FPS, MOBA, RTS, the odd f2p mmo and whatever multi-player game thrown onto this site (seemingly random).

It seems the mmo consumer is now considered your average gamer. They never used to be the average gamer. In fact (even from my most recent visit to Wow) the vast majority of mmo players I bond with and the type of guild I navigate (not intentionally actually) toward is always filled by nearly 100% full time mmorpg players who hardly ever play any other sort of game. How does it make any sense including these sort of players with the average cross platform gamer?

When a website starts covering games that would never be included as an mmo a few years ago you cannot help but have a sense of alienation build amongst mmorpg fans. Further frustration arises when one comes to an understanding that this change has come about more due to marketing and advertising than logic or common sense.

I truly wish more "old school" feelings of the mmo genre can be reclaimed but taking back the term "mmorpg". There needs to be something far more specific to identify this specific genre and it's fans. I feel this is a fundamental reason why the current state of mmos is what it is today. Games continue to attempt to market to a wide audience of player. There is no wide audience ... only various groups of players into various types of games. All we get are games trying to be everything to everyone and end up being a mottled mess of misdirection to the real world individual with varied tastes. Instead of having 5 unique games for 5 unique player groups we get 5 clones of the same trying to attract unique player groups. Which do you think works better?

There is a fundamental issue here. It is brought up over and over and should not be ignored. It affects the efficiency of this site and certainly the entire industry. The big developers continue in the same direction as they did years ago which has not shown much success.

If articles listing games that have nothing to do with each other other than there is a multi-player component (from a few to thousands) are to exist then perhaps a few articles narrowing down the viewership into "people who might actually be interested in the same games" may assist properly targeting the audience you want. If you want to continue covering everything in gaming other than single player then perhaps serious consideration should be put toward changing the name of this website. Other than that some acknowledgement that this issue is real would show a great deal of consideration towards your readers.

Grab all the money you can but start facing the reality of broadening your coverage by redefining terms players have been used to for years has an impact. It is the industry forcing these changes ... not the players and a loss of empowerment leaves people feeling defensive.

Imagine a website devoted to talks on political ideology called capitalism.com and them allowing discussions from every political spectrum to expand viewership. Will there be more or less division amongst the forum user?

Btw I actually like your articles for the most part. :)

You stay sassy!

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by jdnyc

No Pathfinder Online?

smh

Well technically if I'm not mistake PFO will only see an early enrollment in 2014 which is essentially a Beta and open or essential live won't be till 2015 when all the features are available.

PFO isn't on the list for the same reason why Camelot Unchained and Star Citizen isn't on the list.