Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When are you too old to play MMOs/Games . . . .

Comments

• Agathos88Agathos88 Member UncommonPosts: 92
    I'll be 26 this month, and I don't feel too old. I guess it really depends on the community you place yourself in though. World of Warcraft can still be great regardless of age given the right community. EverQuest 2 however, I feel younger than the server I play on lol.

-Prior story writer for MMORPG.com

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Agathos88
    I'll be 26 this month, and I don't feel too old. 

Lol, you're a mere child!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Originally posted by Talemire

1st generation gamers FTW! Gamer til the Lord takes me home lol :)

But what to do if there are no games in heaven???? :D

Hehe, I said "til" the Lord takes me home. Gonna be much better/important things to do in heaven than gaming! :-D However, to be fair, when I was a teenager I definitely used to QQ about the thought of it lol.

I'm an agnostic myself, but I'm sort of serious here. How do you pass an eternity of time in a place with no modern entertainment?

well Hell is known for its carnal delights etc, but they will probably have MMO's too, F2P ones, without cash shops, because then you will have to grind grind grind, which sounds like hell to meimage

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    We who played games in the 80s and early 90s are the ones who are 30-40 years old now, we are the first computer gaming generation so to speak so getting told for gaming is like getting to old to listen to music, It's an entertainment that I for one will still enjoy when I'm sitting in the old folks home.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by Torgrim

We who played games in the 80s and early 90s are the ones who are 30-40 years old now, we are the first computer gaming generation so to speak so getting told for gaming is like getting to old to listen to music, It's an entertainment that I for one will still enjoy when I'm sitting in the old folks home.

Amen to that lol

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by ZombieKen

30 + ?  Too funny.

That was 2 decades ago. :-)

Dear Santa,

Where is my lootz? Were you too busy playing MMO's to swing by my crib Xmas eve? /sigh

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by Kuriouz

Can you be too old to play MMOs. I usually play F2p games and can't help but wonder sometimes, I might be too old to play games. Other players who are probably younger wondering why is someone in their 30s playing MMOs.

What do you guys think, if you're old should you stop playing games. How many adults do you think around 30+ play MMOs.

I'm in my 40's and doing fine.

I'll be too old to play when I'm too old to breathe.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

Hehe, I said "til" the Lord takes me home. Gonna be much better/important things to do in heaven than gaming! :-D However, to be fair, when I was a teenager I definitely used to QQ about the thought of it lol.

I'm an agnostic myself, but I'm sort of serious here. How do you pass an eternity of time in a place with no modern entertainment?

Well, the answer is indeed an in-depth one, but the short version is that, according to the Bible, heaven is a place where we leave all earthly things behind and praise and worship God in all His glory. Christians are very thankful and grateful for Jesus Christ's sacrifice on the cross for our sins so that we may be seen as holy and righteous in His sight on the day that all will stand before Him to be judged. I may sound super preachy right now, but you asked and I am very glad to answer - Long story short, when you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, instead of God judging you for your unrepentant sins, your sins will have been paid in full through Christ's death on the cross so that God sees you pure and cleansed by the blood of the Lamb. Read John 3:16 - God's mercy and love for us is pretty unfathomable and immeasureable.

And yes, I am more than ready and willing to get grossly flamed and trolled for writing this lol.

Isaiah 41:10
  • docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by Kuriouz

Can you be too old to play MMOs. I usually play F2p games and can't help but wonder sometimes, I might be too old to play games. Other players who are probably younger wondering why is someone in their 30s playing MMOs.

What do you guys think, if you're old should you stop playing games. How many adults do you think around 30+ play MMOs.

40+ here. And asking to why to play MMOs at a certain age is like asking in general about playing video-games imho.

Same as with music - the people making them are in their 70s even, if you e.g. think of Rolling Stones (good or bad another story), so why should only peeps in their teens and 20s listen to it? The times are changing... 

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Phry

well Hell is known for its carnal delights etc, but they will probably have MMO's too, F2P ones, without cash shops, because then you will have to grind grind grind, which sounds like hell to meimage

Rofl

Isaiah 41:10
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

I think its fine to play MMOs until you have a real responsibility or a real life goal to achieve. That thing isnt bound to your age but i think you should decrease your gametime by 90% when you get near 30. I think at that age you need to start to make a family and thats where real responsibility starts and gamelife ends.

In the end its all up to you but it would be wiser to stop early (around 25y) then lately(35y), because thats the most important time of your life, nothing will ever get so easy as in your mid 20s (school, friends, girls etc). And if you waste it with games- well i dont think thats very wise. Otherwise i can understand it how easly amazed you are by new technologies at that time and can get affected also.

To be honest, i think we are more of the Prototypes of the demographics in the gameindustry. Games started to evolve at our generation and now its changing again because we grew old, we dont want it anymore, or we dont have time to play and new kids are on the block.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I'm young enough to still be able to play but old enough to not give a damn anymore whether others think I'm too old to play.

Its a nice place to be.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I am 52 and I don't intend to ever stop playing MMOs. So the answer is... You are never too old to play MMOs.

It's good for brain image

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    When you're too old to grip a mouse or controller.
  • KhorraxKhorrax Member UncommonPosts: 53
     I remember reading this somewhere (I am translating it, so bear with me :P),'We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games.' If it's been mentioned before, ignore this :D
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by coretex666

I think that most men would answer that you are never too old to play video games, but go ahead and ask your wives what they think about it :).

You know you usually have women telling their husbands / sons "Arent you too old to play video games???!!!".

Maybe I am just prejudiced.

A good wife would always support your interests and hobbies and never knock them or make digs about them. Just saying.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

Some people have been finding their vision, hearing, and even hand movements to be impaired as they age.  I think video games are out of reach for a few.  So it depends on your health.  Boredom can also factor if you've made mmo's your life hobby.  Slowing down is not easy.  I have been on occasion deathly ill.  So I understand bed ridden.  But electronic games should not be thought of as any different than playing chess, shuffleboard, or golf.  Tho they are a new genre they are after all just games.  A few of us have engrossed into the mechanics of how games are made and by preference of a desire to learn may never fully detach ourselves.

Imagine virtual reality mmos being used in nursing homes as treatment for Alzheimer's.  Or physical therapy.  Or just plain exercise when you can't get outside in winter do to risk of lung infection.  Ha!  Grandpa might be kicking your butts in WoW one day!  The possibilities are endless if we'd keep open our minds and not shut up our hearts.

As far as there being games to play in Heaven or Hell???  Let's just say, the biggest Dev there is is God.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Well I am 68 and have been playing computer games since 1973.  I owned a coleco, intellivision, Nintendo consoles, PS3,XBOX, and many PC's.

I really enjoy games.  The biggest change that I have noticed in me as I grow older is I have less tolerance to all the crap that goes on in the game chat.  I mean really do people have to treat each other so badly ??

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

When you are burdened with real life responsbilities and hardly find any time for online games is when you realise you are too old for this and probably should focus more on things that really matter in life like your job, wife, kids, family and friends.

Now days i am mostly a weekend warrior.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    I'm 28 and my last guild I was young most were in their mid to late 30s a few near my age. Right now I rarely play but that is due to my 6 month old son and my wife finishing her phd. I'm lucky if I get a 3 hour stretch more than once a week to play usually I have about 30-60 min every few days so I've been replaying single player games. Can't wait til my wife is done and we can split the child care duties.
  • DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    Never, and anyone that says otherwise is wrong, and other less nice things that I won't say...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Originally posted by coretex666

I think that most men would answer that you are never too old to play video games, but go ahead and ask your wives what they think about it :).

You know you usually have women telling their husbands / sons "Arent you too old to play video games???!!!".

Maybe I am just prejudiced.

A good wife would always support your interests and hobbies and never knock them or make digs about them. Just saying.

Hell, my wife is more addicted to games than me.

I get crap for disliking a game and I stop playing it though, not much...but some.  She is usually in agreement though.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I think it's harder to play games when you are older.  I find I often am playing a game and see that it is designed more to get money then to make me happy.  When you have played enough games you can start to see the game mechanics clearly.  It's even worse when the games become a lot more restricted then what they once were.  I don't find this as much in single player games though.  I actually think many single player games like the Mass Effect series, Uncharted Series, Skyrim, and many others are a big step forward.  I enjoy playing them a lot.  I feel MMOs are not really improving at all, but are in fact staying the same aside form becoming easier, more restricted, and aimed at getting people to pay for virtual items.    Some single player games have this problem to, but it's usually a lot easier to avoid micro transactions in a single player experience.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Last time I was told games are for kids was around 1998.

Creator of Steam plays games

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by ZombieKen

30 + ?  Too funny.

That was 2 decades ago. :-)

Well yeah, but you're a zombie now. 

Well actually my project is the zombie.

It's too crappy to release.  I'm too sick to improve it, and too bull-headed to just delete it off the servers.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.