Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why all the hate for this game?

Comments

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I was expecting this, but I got that...I think sums up most of the hate for the game. It's not that there's anything wrong with neverwinter, it's that it wasn't made for the person who's unhappy with it.

When you're not the target audience you either accept it and look elsewhere or you bitch and moan about the industry making crappy games NO ONE plays!

Wouldn't that be weird? Posts that complain about not being the target audience for a particular game rather than posts about how a game was written the wrong way, regardless of how many people are playing the game?

You might even be able to use a word like evolved. 

I really hate the "evolved" argument.  If MMO's are so evolved, then why are they so dumbed down as well?  They haven't been evolved, they've been expedited. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 38,232
    Originally posted by Randayn

I was expecting this, but I got that...I think sums up most of the hate for the game. It's not that there's anything wrong with neverwinter, it's that it wasn't made for the person who's unhappy with it.

When you're not the target audience you either accept it and look elsewhere or you bitch and moan about the industry making crappy games NO ONE plays!

Wouldn't that be weird? Posts that complain about not being the target audience for a particular game rather than posts about how a game was written the wrong way, regardless of how many people are playing the game?

I really hate the "evolved" argument.  If MMO's are so evolved, then why are they so dumbed down as well?  They haven't been evolved, they've been expedited. 

Streamlined might be the word your looking for, you know, took out all the "tedious" stuff that so many complain about.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing ESO - Blackwood at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476

For me it was when they stolen over $200.00 in items from me instead if simply replacing the items their bad programing did to lose those items.

That is very very bad business to do stuff like the and i will never ever buy another game from either of those company related to this game.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 818
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Six words: Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios.  That sums up the vast majority of the hate; they don't hate the game, just the people who developed/produced it, and claim that therefore they should hate the game.

Yep that alone is why I couldn't stomach it.  If it was anyone but PWE, I would of probably gave it a go.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by slowpoke68

Not currently playing.  I did play for about 2 months and got a toon to max level.  I was kind of forced into trying this game out by a friend.

Was surprised how much I enjoyed it.  It has some of the best graphics and sound of any game out right now.  You can start grouping pretty much right away for dungeon crawls.  Love the non tab target combat.  Felt visceral on my Guardian.  I can honestly say I never had so much fun smashing my shield into a mob's face.  Character development was a lot deeper than I expected it to be.

Thought the pvp was good.  Enjoyed it from 10 to 60.  Never felt pay to win to me, I spent a total of 20 dollars in the cash shop and always felt competitive...used the money to buy a bind to account mount.  Rarely I would run up against someone who obviously had spent a ton of money and destroyed me, but for the most part it wasn't a problem.

Game needs more classes, more pvp maps, and my biggest problem was people exploiting through dungeons at high level.  Its definitely not a super deep game and you will get bored if you are a hardcore 12 hour a day gamer.  But for f2p this was a shining star in 2013.  Much better than a lot of the triple A mmos which have come out over the last few years in my opinion.

Do not understand for the life of me why this game was so poorly received.  I will be going back to it from time to time to check it out.

Nothing special about it.  Just another special effects easy mode asian grinder game with nothing that entices me toward lore, pvp, or in depth pve.  I grew up with Dungeons and Dragons and like to read mature fantasy fiction...plus I played a real mmoRPG called, Dark Age of Camelot...so I'm spoiled.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Streamlined might be the word your looking for, you know, took out all the "tedious" stuff that so many complain about.

but, wasn't that what action/adventure games were for?  Streamlined versions of in-depth RPG's?  That's what it felt like to me

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 8,029

Wanted to craft a level 22 blue item and needed a crystal that you can buy for astral diamonds in auction house but was expensive or buy for zen which is real money. Kinda disappointing and lost a bit of my enthusiasm for crafting now when I saw the prices in ah.

Chamber of Chains
  • Ork-n-BeanzOrk-n-Beanz Member Posts: 20

Yep, going with the response of "PWI/Cryptic." 

Uncostomizable classes, piss-poor representation of the Neverwinter Nights successor, and the inevitable shenanigans that comes with a PWI cash-shop economy: DnD's hallmark has always been Customization, even with the generally ill-accepted 4th Edition. Neverwinter Nights has always been about great stories right from the get-go. And I remember a time when Cryptic wasn't all about the cash-grab (Hailing back from when they were still one and the same with Paragon and running a not Free to Play City of Heroes/Villains).

Neverwinter does DnD wrong, it does Neverwinter Nights wrong, and well... we all know what Cryptic and PWI do wrong. As such, I will never play it again, and I can not in good conscience recommend this game to anyone. It's just... bad. It had such great potential in a lot of areas, and it just gave us a watered down, bland, and unimaginative phoney of a game.

That's all this game is, a massive disappointment against the potentially awesome successor game it could have been.

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 400

I like  the game, I think that its fun.  Some of the dungeons can be challenging especially on hard mode.  I have a level 60 rogue then took a break and made a hunter ranger who is now 46.  I like the combat system.  I think that the dodging is much better than in FFXIV.  They do seem to be making the game easier though.  The mad dragon dungeon used to be very difficult.  The final boss was like a 30-45 min fight even with a good group.  I just did the dungeon on the hunter and we didnt have a tank and killed the dragon in less than 10 mins.  The wolf den final boss is still relatively difficult which I was happy to see. 

The negatives are the crafting system and auction house / cash shop prices.  Crafting is very tedious and painful with out spending real cash.  They had a 60% sale on companions so the price of them are reasonable now.  The mounts are ridiculously expensive.  The 110% speed mounts are at least $30.  I spent about $20 so far i bought extra character slots and a greater bag of holding which is 24 inventory spots, and a couple misc. things.  Also lock boxes drop which can only be opened with cash shop keys.  On my 46 hunter I have about 150 lock boxes.  In the cash shop keys are about $11.25 for 10.  It would cost over $150 just to open the boxes.  PvP needs upgrading there is only one map and people sit there idle just for exp.  I think it will be fixed eventually.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

"Neverwinter does DnD wrong, it does Neverwinter Nights wrong, and well... we all know what Cryptic and PWI do wrong. As such, I will never play it again, and I can not in good conscience recommend this game to anyone. It's just... bad. It had such great potential in a lot of areas, and it just gave us a watered down, bland, and unimaginative phoney of a game."

This poster stated it better than I did.  So I had to repost.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,761
    I didn't mind the game for about the first 30 or 35 levels. But, it does get a little tedious and boring at times. There are some interesting things they have but not enough to keep my interest long. I hadn't played anything D&D in at least least 10 years but this game does not remind of D&D. The item shop is way to over priced (as are most item shops).

Let's party like it is 1863!

• UnitAkiraUnitAkira Member UncommonPosts: 25

this is one game that could be something quite good ,but like anything that has Perfect World added into the mix it will fail simply because PWE focus is on the cash shop and not so much the play..dont get me wrong i dont mind spending a little cash but as learnt from past dealings with PWE games well its all pay to win and cost the same as a deposit on a house unless you are playing the game 20 hours a day ..

but yeah the graphics on this game are great ,combat is nice . PvP can be fun but needs expanding if only it didnt have dirty old money hungry PWE in there

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Like most of Cryptics games, you can compare this one to a late nite stop at Taco Bell.  It sounds like a good idea at the time, tastes good while you eat it with friends but later on when you go home you regret it while sitting on the toilet.

My issue with most of Cryptics games:

1. Lack of content

2. Terrible economies

3. High prices in the cash shop

4. Can absolutely be P2W

5. Poor crafting mechanics

Is NW fun to jump in and play an hour or two with friends twice a week? Yes.  Is it anymore than that?  Not for me.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,957

I dislike it because while 4th edition is the equivalent of D&D for dummies, Neverwinter takes that and pretty much dumbs it down to the point where it openly caters to people who rode the short bus to school. Add PW's pay to win, overpriced cash shop & the completely ruined economy into the mix and it just makes for an absolute stinker of a game which has less to do with D&D then the movie did, but without any of the redeeming entertainment value.

DDO is a far superior D&D MMO experience, it's just a shame they went with the Eberron setting instead of Forgotten Realms.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• slowpoke68slowpoke68 Member UncommonPosts: 545

Wow.  Lots of people with lots to say.  I'm still just amazed by the strong reactions to this game.

For context let me say. 

I agree with the person who said DnD hasn't been DnD since 2nd edition.  I agree totally.  Started playing table top in the early 80s when I was a kid.  My only experience with 3rd was in IWD2 and I didn't care for it.  I know nothing at all about 4th ed.

I also played DAoC and EQ1 and UO before that. 

Yes mmos have continued to dumb down and are almost unrecognizable from those days.

I guess maybe because I went in expecting to hate this that I was so pleasantly surprised.

I think that by today's standards, compared to something like GW2 this game is pretty darned good.

But with all that said, I get it.  I hate EQ2 at a core level.  I never looked forward to a game as much as that one, expecting EQ2, EQ with updated graphics and combat.  So I understand why people expecting a real DnD game would be disappointed.

But still, I don't get all the rage about the cash shop.  I played the game a lot for over a month and only spent 20 bucks, some of which I think I still have.  I always felt fine in both pve and pvp all the way to max level.

Good discussion to all, thanks for the thoughts.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 21,410

I guess different people have different expectations is the reason for the hate.

As for me, I love this game. It's the closest thing to 1st and 2nd Ed adventuring I've played. Some of the systems (like crafting/professions) are clunky and grindy and need to mature. Overall the game is a lot of fun for me.

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

PWE/Cryptic's handling of Cat-ageddon did it for me.  In fact, there are 2 $20 cards sitting on my desk unused because of it.  I thought to myself... hey look finally a game I can support and have fun with.. then they took a dump right on me (again).  That combined with the lackluster customer service (that took WEEKS to resolve and then wasn't actually resolved), the broken economy (that no one was punished for), and the P2W mechanics (crafting is a joke). 

Three strikes.  If you want to be F2P, I do not pay more than $15 a month on a game.  So set your numbers with that it mind.  Even then $15 is laughable when you consider the 120+ hrs I put into a $60 game.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Neverwinter was a decent enough game when leveling up.  I enjoyed the leveling process but grew bored in a matter of days upon reaching max level and had no desire to play another character.  It's not a bad game, I think it just has zero long term appeal for most players.
  • TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

If you've played Star Trek Online, you've played NW.  Its the same grind just with a different skin and names. Secret World killed STO, and now they've done it to NW.

• dragnmastralexdragnmastralex Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Ikeda

PWE/Cryptic's handling of Cat-ageddon did it for me.  In fact, there are 2 $20 cards sitting on my desk unused because of it.  I thought to myself... hey look finally a game I can support and have fun with.. then they took a dump right on me (again).  That combined with the lackluster customer service (that took WEEKS to resolve and then wasn't actually resolved), the broken economy (that no one was punished for), and the P2W mechanics (crafting is a joke). 

Three strikes.  If you want to be F2P, I do not pay more than $15 a month on a game.  So set your numbers with that it mind.  Even then $15 is laughable when you consider the 120+ hrs I put into a $60 game.

you didn't even mention the massive amount of gold farmers in the game or the hackers that steal accounts through the shitty security their website has that they will not fix nor with they replace anything stolen.  Then there is the issue of the broken dungeons, the queue that never works, the bugged quest, the bugged items, the laggy auction house, the limit on how much AD you can refine a day, the lazy holiday events, I could go on for days on the bad things about this game and then turn over and tell you even more about PWE and its other games... 

they are a company of gold farmers that run games and cheat you just to make more money... avoid them at all cost or you will get screwed.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Gamers are hateful people. Every game will have people that bash it on every occasion and I don't mean the people who simply don't like the game and express their view in an acceptable manner.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Who says I was talking about the game ?

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Talonsin

Like most of Cryptics games, you can compare this one to a late nite stop at Taco Bell.  It sounds like a good idea at the time, tastes good while you eat it with friends but later on when you go home you regret it while sitting on the toilet.

My issue with most of Cryptics games:

1. Lack of content

2. Terrible economies

3. High prices in the cash shop

4. Can absolutely be P2W

5. Poor crafting mechanics

Is NW fun to jump in and play an hour or two with friends twice a week? Yes.  Is it anymore than that?  Not for me.

1.  Depends on what content you are looking for.

2.  Yea the economy has kinda been a little wonky since teh "Caturday" thing.  I really hate how hard it is to get Astral Diamonds and would prefer if less things relied on it, so no argument here.

3.  They are fixing it.  The prices for all of the companions has permanently decreased since the Christmas sale, and I would not be surprised if the prices for other things like mounts drops.  So cash shop prices were high in the beginning, but prices are dropping and will likely drop in the future.

4.  Not even close. The cash shop does not have anything that can give one player a huge advantage over another (blame existing class imbalances on that), and let's face facts: people throw around the term P2W so much that the term means nothing nowadays.

5.  Again, not even close.  The crafting mechanics are fairly simple, yes, but by no means poor.  In fact, they are almost improvements on many other crafting systems.  No longer do you need to spend game time farming crafting materials; just send hirelings in your profession window out to do it for you, and uncommon and rare crafting materials can be gotten by a special chest you get for logging in five days in a row.  Same for crafting: get hirelings to craft for you while you play from your profession window.  If anything, the crafting mechanics of Neverwinter are ingenius, as you no longer need to decide between spending time craftign and spending time adventuring.  In Neverwinter, you can do both at once.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

Well, it's barely an MMO. It started out development as a non MMO and it shows.

Also, the level of customization is nowhere near as good as the older Neverwinter titles.

Basically, it's just a bad Neverwinter game with MMO slapped onto the name to swindle some extra cash.

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    the game lost me when a fighter class could find secret doors... yup, that's all it took.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.