Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So running it on a PS4 with a 4k TV is just as good as PC?

burdock2burdock2 Member UncommonPosts: 420

When the game is released on PS4, if you happen to have a 4k TV, would you be seeing the same level of quality on it as you would on a PC/Monitor, only bigger?

Also, I am thinking of getting it on the PS3 to later upgrade to PS4, how is the PS3 version running currently? Do we, as PS3 users also get the 2.1 patch?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Not really, The PC version has higher resolution textures than the console version.

The game *Might* run at 1080P on the PS4 so that means running up to a 1080p image on a 4K TV, That just means you will get a clearer image but the game will not be running at a resolution of 4K.

The PS4 and Xbox One already struggle a lot to output and maintain a solid 60 frames per second at 1080P and most are upscaled from 700P and 900P to 1080P, If that was upscaled even further to 4K both consoles would slowdown to a crawl, It would be like watching a slide show.

So in short, Yes you can run your PS4 on a 4K TV but it will not be running at a 4K resolution in games as the PS4 and Xbox One simply dont have the power needed, For the PS4 or Xbox One to support 4K resolutions in games they would have to seriously beef up the hardware which would put the price up considerably.

Even if they got it to work somehow I doubt it would be a pleseant experience judging that to run games at 60 frames per second or even 30 and at 4K a computer runinning multiple GTX Titan graphics cards is needed and just one of those cards retails for £899.

• paulrgodpaulrgod Member UncommonPosts: 240

Its already been confirmed from Yoshi P that FFXIV running on PS4 will be equivelant to running the PC version at Max settings.  Not sure if it'll be 30 or 60fps though - more likely will be at 30fps.

You'll only get the 1080p display from the PS4 which will be upscaled to 4k on your TV - usually the results of upscaling aren't that pretty so expect some jaggies and such to become apparant as each pixel will be 4x it's original size.

The PS3 version currently is perfectly playable and of course it recieves the same content and patches as the PC version - it has to as the servers are Cross play - meaning that PC and PS3 Players all play on the same servers together.

Hope this helps!

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    it will run 60 fps yoshi said
  • You have to remember though, On the PC you can run the actual game on a 4K display with an ingame resolution of 4K, Non of that upscaling rubbish that the consoles use because they are vastly underpowered *Not a fan boy of either I own both a PS4 and PC just telling it like it is*

If your buying a 4K TV for your PS4 your wasting your money as the PS4 cannot output 4K resolution in games, It's like comparing a bugatti veyron *PC* to a homemade go kart *Console*  ^_^

• c0796c0796 Member UncommonPosts: 39

Thanks for the explanation, Dice. I didn't think we would see anything 'compatible' with 4k in gaming anytime soon. And if it was, consoles would be way behind. Not exactly powerhouses like some peoples PC's.

I'm guessing the first thing we will see in 4k is movies, correct? Haven't they been filming in 4k for years now?

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    4k only matter if your TV is huge like maybe 70+ inches, below that 1080P is fine.  theaters usually use 4k since their screens are way too big for 1080P.
  • Originally posted by c0796

Thanks for the explanation, Dice. I didn't think we would see anything 'compatible' with 4k in gaming anytime soon. And if it was, consoles would be way behind. Not exactly powerhouses like some peoples PC's.

I'm guessing the first thing we will see in 4k is movies, correct? Haven't they been filming in 4k for years now?

Indeed they have, If I'm not mistaken a rep from sony said that they might be able to have 4K movies on the PS4 but thats where it would end for the moment.

To have 4K resolutions with games on consoles would be awesome but as I said earlier, A console would have to be a powerhouse to do that which would put the price up sky high which is something the developers wont do until the technology comes down in price so I reckon we'll have 1080P at the highest option in games on consoles for a while to come yet.

Here's a good way to look at it, The PS4 and Xbox One currently struggle to play games at a decent frame rate at 1080P and most games are upscaled, Most PC games run at 1440P and are not upscaled meaning your getting a true high resolution image with frame rates varying most of the time in the region of 100+, Now the difference from 1080P to 1440P is an increase of over 75% in pixels which requires a lot of horsepower from the computer.

So in other words just upping the resolution a little bit to 1440P we would need console hardware that is more than double the speed of the current console *PS4 XBXO* offering which I doubt we will see for quite some time.