Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: McQuaid Makes Us Wonder: Who Is that Burly Man?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Brad McQuaid is gearing up for January's revelation of the new game he is working on. To get fans in a frothy frenzy, McQuaid has released a piece of artwork of a burly blue-eyed man. Any thoughts?

A little teaser -- meet Oranthel, God-King of Skyfen! pic.twitter.com/zhrxt9pQja

— Brad McQuaid (@Aradune) December 30, 2013

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    His Royal Majesty King Brad McQuaid

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• RebellonRebellon Member Posts: 49

Fantasy mmo, who would have guessed it.

Brilliant!

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Looks like "King Slow" to me. The blade of that sword is as wide as a coffee table and the shoulders on that armor is like strapping one two toddlers for each arm.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Well, hopefully he has a solid strategy/team, little tired of the telegraphing, max level in a week or less, instance everything, and crafting/harvesting thrown in as a add-on to say they have it mmos.   So if he can truly deliver a EQ/VG/UO hybrid mix, I am all for it.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

It really shows to McQuaid arrogance that the first "sneak peek" render he shows of his new game is of someone in ridiculously ostentatious oversized armor sitting on a throne

Thats a really cool Snowboard hes got there though.

Oh..wait. Thats supposed to be a sword. NM

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Must of missed where that guy is named Brad.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Seriously, anyone giving money to this man deserves to lose it.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Ginaz

Seriously why would you care? Don't want to back it then don't lol. People on this site  have to much to say about what others do with their own cash.

I loved Vanilla EQ and Vanguard even with it's faults, i'll give Brad another chance depending on what he shows me.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    I have a feeling this game will either be ridiculously good or a complete train wreck possibly on a level even worse than Vanguard.  It was very little chance of being an "okay" game, in my opinion.
    Originally posted by sirphobos
    I have a feeling this game will either be ridiculously good or a complete train wreck possibly on a level even worse than Vanguard.  It was very little chance of being an "okay" game, in my opinion.

The same can be said for any mmo coming out these days, Brad is not in a special club.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

I'm going to donate money to this project just for the sole purpose of annoying all the haters out there.

I particularly love the people complaining about the sword being "too big".  I wonder how many of you played WOW?

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Hrimnir

I'm going to donate money to this project just for the sole purpose of annoying all the haters out there.

I particularly love the people complaining about the sword being "too big".  I wonder how many of you played WOW?

LOL, so right, it's actually laughable.image

• jagd241jagd241 Member Posts: 54

Depends.  If what you want in an MMO is an actionrpg/WoW clone then I agree: there are a lot of those out there and coming up real soon now. 

However, if what you want in an MMO is an updated EQ/VG with corpse runs/XP loss, items that matter and where the journey is the reward then you don't have much of a choice do you?  You either contribute to Brad's Kickstarter and hope he learned his lesson from Vanguard and he and his team succeeds, or you can spend the next ten years on a website complaining about the lack of challenge in modern MMOs.

As for me, he gets $100 - unless it's $150 to get alpha access.  Then he gets $150.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I would be interested in anything he makes,he is a better game designer than most everyone in this market with a few exceptions.

The only worry i have is his funding but i know it can be done with less than normal funding but only doing it one way,not by cutting corners in every aspect.

You do it by going small game,less assets but with a lot of depth in what you do.

I don't want to see a simple hand holding,linear questing game anymore and i don't want to see FAKE MMO worlds where you basically click instances all the time.

I just hope Brad has not been influenced by all the cheap efforts of late looking for free handouts or designing games that should be browser and one month and out.Other turn off are too few classes,TREE design i can't stand and 2 or 3 faction pvp i will run the other way.Matter of fact i want almost ZERO focus on pvp,it would ruin the entire game from the get go.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I'll back this game for sure.. EQ and Vanguard are my 2 most played and enjoyed MMOs ever.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

It really shows to McQuaid arrogance that the first "sneak peek" render he shows of his new game is of someone in ridiculously ostentatious oversized armor sitting on a throne

Thats a really cool Snowboard hes got there though.

Oh..wait. Thats supposed to be a sword. NM

For all we know God King of Skyfen could be 20ft tall and us mere mortals only come up above his knee caps?image

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Rebellon

Fantasy mmo, who would have guessed it.

Brilliant!

I like Fantasy MMO's and so do millions of other people.   Apparently you are burned out on them or games in general.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Hot damn he's doing world of warcraft 2! SWEET!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

I think I will too. I mean, I'm pretty locked up with Pathfinder Online at the moment but what's the worst that will happen? I'll be out $100 that I won't miss. Whoop ti do! Best case BM makes a traditional sandbox style MMO that I can play as my second or third MMO.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I thought it was really funny when Brad McQuaid came on the forums before the Vanguard Release and was pretty much making drunken posts.

The faults of Vanguard were simple. Brad McQuaid lacked the managerial skills necessary in creating a well-developed MMO. Entire game was scrapped and redeveloped in two years. When it came time to reduce the company, they took an approach similar to other San Diego MMO development companies. Kept all the friends, dropped everyone else. Even if the friends category lacked the actual talent.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

I lol'd for real however, I do agree.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Could this be an infinity blade MMO? I played them on my iPhone, they were pretty fun.

The god king and over-the-top sword makes me think that.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Originally posted by Cleffy

I thought it was really funny when Brad McQuaid came on the forums before the Vanguard Release and was pretty much making drunken posts.

The faults of Vanguard were simple. Brad McQuaid lacked the managerial skills necessary in creating a well-developed MMO. Entire game was scrapped and redeveloped in two years. When it came time to reduce the company, they took an approach similar to other San Diego MMO development companies. Kept all the friends, dropped everyone else. Even if the friends category lacked the actual talent.

good thing you have no clue what the fuck you are talking about.

Source?  10 year career at SCE.  People ask why I never post here, because its a fucking cess pool of misinformation and people like this fella here... have no clue what he is talking about, never worked for or designed a game in his life but all the sudden knows everything that goes into it.

Just curious, how many games have you produced?

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• 0Neo00Neo0 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by jagd241

As for me, he gets $100 - unless it's $150 to get alpha access.  Then he gets $150.

+1 .

Loved Vanguard and still play from time to time.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Brad McQuaid is 2 things.

1) Excellent game designer, one of the few that understand what an MMORPG is.

2) Awful Project Manager. I don't think he knows how to manage people.

Brad is an Artist not a Manager, so while he developed 2 of my favorite MMOs (EQ  and Vanguard) I am not sure I trust his skills as a manager to give him my money.

I really hope he hires an Executive Producers with the balls while he should supervise only the creative part of the game, this would give me more hope in the Project.