Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The end of the year "Most fun MMORPG in 2013" top 5´s

Comments

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

1. WoW.. I returned a few months ago and I am having a blast.

2. TSW

Everything else I played or tried this year was a bust, probably Age of Wushu was the worst experience, the game is just boring as hell and riddled with gold sellers.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• dakotaaoc08dakotaaoc08 Member UncommonPosts: 77

1. Candy Crush

That is all.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

1.  Guild Wars 2.

2.  Planetside 2.

Hybrid/Non-MMO's:

3. League of Legends

4. Team Fortress 2

5.  N/A.

Honestly, I'm hoping that the genre gets a heck of a lot better in 2014.     The old combat system of games like EQ/Rift/WoW is stale and boring when compared to other games that have launched in the past few years and will be launching soon.   They're practically impossible to get back into once played one of the other games. 

Still, GW2 is really the most of with memorable events, a vicious political campaign mid-year, and some of the best PvP (i.e. WvW) have played in an MMO since vanilla WoW's Torren Mill or Ogrimmar raids.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Lineage 2 is still my game and I don't see that changing anytime soon. TERA gave me some fun for a while but its a themepark and that's pretty much all they are good for.
  • jdizzle2k13jdizzle2k13 Member UncommonPosts: 251

1.  Guild Wars 2

2.  Rift

3.  World of Warcraft

Those were the only ones I played lol

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Out of the six or seven MMOs I played this year, I would only consider two of them fun.

1) GW2

2) Planetside 2

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

1.The Secret World

2.Eve Online

3.Defiance

4.DayZ Standalone

5.?

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    1. TERA (Endgame had a huge political community if you got into that stuff and Shandra Manaya and Kelsaik Nest HM on release were the hardest dungeons i've ever played in an MMO(each took me 2 months to complete!), was really one of the best times I ever had in an MMO, sadly TERA devolved into a F2P dungeon grinder with the emphasis on PvP and difficult mechanics being thrown out the window upon F2P).
           2. GW2 (Played it for just over a month, very themepark with no community therefore it got extremely boring rather quickly, guilds didn't feel like guilds they felt like chatrooms).

3. FFXIV (Wasn't my cup of tea, combat was too boring and meh, there just wasn't much to it for me to enjoy, decent game, not my style).

That's all I had time for this year.

• RedCurryRedCurry Member UncommonPosts: 70

1. Path of Exile (more arpg than mmo, but whatever. it's awesome!)

2. Rift

3. Borderlands 2 (sort of an mmo)

4. The Secret World

5. SW:TOR

other non-mmo games that stole much time Starbound, Civ V,and Crusader Kings II

*month I wish I had back - FFXIV

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I would have to say FFXIV Beta and going back to start a new player in FFXI but other than that,i did not have a lot of FUN with mmorpg's.I had more fun watching movies and playing single player games or older FPS games.

I re-installed games like Unreal,Quake,Half Life.I guess i had a bit of fun playing NWN for about a month.

I can still remember the year i had to juggle having a blast playing FFXI,EQ2 and Vanguard all at the same time,i doubt will ever be another year like that again.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• StuperstingStupersting Member Posts: 31

1. Runescape 3

2. Eldevin

3. GW2

4. WoW

5. I only played 4 mmos this year...

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    1. Neverwinter
    2. Path of Exile  (toss up between this and Neverwinter)
    3. GW2
    4. Skyrim
    5. Asheron's Call (finally hit max level 275 after 14 years)
    2013 was weak for MMO's IMO and 2014 isn't looking any brighter.  On the plus side as long as Neverwinter and Path of Exile continues to churn out content then I'll be content till 2015 and EQN.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Age of Wushu. I only played it for a couple months, but I enjoyed it before the player base completely died out.
  • intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98

For me:

1. WoW: What an MMO for raiding. I'm still leveling other classes I don't know much about and love running through the zones with these new skills all over again.

2.FFXIV: A surprise to most because it has never been done before. A great relaunch of a classic IP.

3.Neverwinter: This game had incredibly fun action and shallow, but fast paced PVP that I actually liked while I played and the PVE was great. It was killed by its cash shop and exploiters early on for me, but it was still fun for a few months.

• StuperstingStupersting Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by denshing
    Age of Wushu. I only played it for a couple months, but I enjoyed it before the player base completely died out.

Why did the player base decline so much anyways?

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Stupersting
    Originally posted by denshing

Why did the player base decline so much anyways?

Not sure. I only quit because I hit a progression breaking glitch where I couldn't advance my internal anymore because the quest I completed to unlock further internal progression didn't give me the item I needed. I was high in the rankings and then bam, unable to progress. Support was crappy and said I must not have completed the quest or something.

If I had to guess on why it failed in the west, I would guess that it's because the western company was doing a horrible job handling the integration of content.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

1.) Firefall - this game has come a long way and it is finally shaping up and is turning into a very open ended experience, still needs tweaks here and there, but overall very creative and innovative.

2.) Age of Conan - the dev team really picked up the ball and ran with it this year, with crafting change announcements, social events and overall great community support they breathed some much needed life into this unique game.

3.) Wizardry Online - no matter what you say about this game there is one thing that cannot be denied, it does PK and it does PK well and old school and you don't have to be a space ship *hint: eve* to enjoy it. Hidden gem.

4.)  Tera - if you just want to grind and grind in an old school way with lots of loot and action combat, Tera's got that and was still one of the most fun games to just log into and have fun for an hour or two. 

5.) Eldevin - sure it is isometric "patch coming to improve camera" and point to click "patch coming to enhance with WASD", but overall the story, lore and overall open world gameplay of Eldevin is very fleshed out, captivating and offers alot of variety for a small form factor browser based game, solo dungeons, raids, pvp and deep crafting.

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

1. Age of Wushu

2. Star Wars The Old Republic

3. Lord of the Rings Online

In that order.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Most fun games of 2013, pretty easy win for FFXIV;ARR for me, but here are the ones i did enjoy playing;

1. FFXIV:ARR

2. Planetside 2

3. SW:TOR

4. Eve

5. WoW

but that was just MMO's i also played quite a bit of Skyrim, Oblivion, ME2, and even DA:O.

When you look at PC gaming, about all i have to say is that there is a hell of a lot of it going on image

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

1. GW2 - On and of. Constant content updates saved it for me. But if they do not add new skills , its dead.

2. Starbound - Great hope for 2014 MMO of the year

3. Defiance - Fun well executed game. Shame its so small.

4. Path of Exile - The real D3

All in all 2013 was the year that MMO's died. At least for me.

None of above are really MMOs in traditional sense.

I am really sad to see my favorite game genre go away. And I tried to play whatever is at hand. But i just can not force myself to run in the mouse wheel of repeating over and over again same themepark formula I played so many times over.

Its insane.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

As far as MMORPGs go

1. AOC

2.SWTOR (great fun for Co-op play with the wife).

3. DCUO

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Biggest surprise of 2013 : LOTRO , and how high it ranks among the most fun MMO of the year!

I might reboot it and Tera (also mentioned very often) based on this

• NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133

None.

In this (past already) year there wasn't a single MMO that kept me for more than one month. Planetside 2 was fun for a few weeks but i can not get that meaningless battles (it's like Battlefield with unlimited tickets - fun for a while, put what's the point?), few people running around and capturing points far from battle front (so there no really a thing like battle front) and other problems. Now a lot of that was fixed as i heard but too late. Neverwinter Online? Nope for a lot of reasons. GW2 was pure fun during first beta event. But at second beta event came some unpleasant thoughts... As someone said in general chat on my server "GW2 is almost like some single player game, but with lots of grind in it". So yeah, i better go and buy lots of great old RPGs on GoG than another MMO i'll quit after a month. Tera was fun to level up, but boring as hell after that. FFXIV? Nothing really improved for me since the first launch. Still think this game made from a metric ton of mindless grind, nothing new (first one had a lot of new ideas actually, but not all of em were good) and strange races i don't like.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Most fun MMORPG kind of limits things (compared to what's on the gamelist):

1. Vendetta Online

2. Dragon's Nest

3. Neocron

4. Realm of the Mad God

5. War Thunder

(RotMG doesn't have much RP, WT doesn't have a persistent world)

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

1.- EVE Online

2.- Final Fantasy XIV

3.-

4.-

5.-

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran