Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oculus Rift: GET OFF MY LAWN

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by iridescence
    Originally posted by Myria

As for the cost, seriously? Most people, even most gamers, do not spend anything like $300 on a vid card. Nor do most people spend thousands on TVs and stereos -- not even remotely close.

I never get the top of the line video card but every one I've ever got until the last one has  been about $300 (last one was closer to $200). If this thing really does what it promises $300 will be a bargain for it and I will buy for that price in a heartbeat. 

Of course I've been hearing VR and 3D is "the next big thing. Just around the corner" for literally 30 years so I retain a healthy dose of skepticism but if it works it'll be awesome to finally have it.

If you're a gamer  with a huge game collection it would be stupid not to spend a couple of hundred bucks on something like this if it works. Like someone buying a huge music collection and then listening to it on a bottom of the line iPod knockoff with headphones from Wal-mart.

That's the most important piece of the puzzle as things stand right now. There aren't that many games (especially out of a person's collection) that this will work well with right now. It's not exactly going to change in that regard.

What matters is that devs really start developing for it and accepting it in their designs. If not it doesn't stand much of a chance. As, until that happens most people aren't going to bother with it.

We've seen this over and over in the gaming and entertainment industries. Most prominently in gaming, from the Dreamcast to many modern products. A lack of an install base, and a lack of support severely limits the potential of said product.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

Maybe i am just pessimistic but VR and 3D always had those trends where they pop up every decade and are hailed as the next best thing.

I don't think it is the time for VR right now but color me impressed if i am wrong and VR is as a tangible success!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by gamesrfun

At that point, you get to see who is going to grow up embracing new technologies and who is going to continue to read hard cover novels.

I had to actually check your age as that seemed like something an adolescent would say. 31 really? I'm sure you've seen a bit of the world at 31 and know that things "books" are still a part of every day society and aren't going away.;

People still read hardcover novels.

Just because you think this cool and novel technology is worth it doesn't mean that everyone will care.

Not everyone needs High Definition or 3D or more bells and whistles. Some people just want good content.

There are great games out there that have been around for years and people still go back to them becuase they are great.

Vampire Masquerade is one of them. I also put a plug for Masters of Orion II and Andromeda and Morrowind.

Good for you that you like it but until there is solid proof that it is "AMAZING" and that no game experience is worth it without it, I think the jury is still going to be out on this one.

Additionally I have reservations about strapping a screen to my face.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by SEANMCAD

You might want to wait until it is actually a success before gloating...I've long since lost track of the number of items that were going to "change everything" and went nowhere.Not, contrary to what many seem to think, that the Rift is new, exactly. VR headsets have been around for a very, very long time. They have their uses, to be sure, whether or not one of those will ever be home gaming to any meaningful extent remains to be seen.Personally I think the Rift still isn't ready for prime time. Too limiting, too expensive, and, most critically, to unlikely to gain a sufficiently large install base to ever be anything but a niche novelty. Might turn out I'm wrong, we'll see, should be an interesting ride either way.Either way, declaring victory at this early date is beyond foolish.
    like what device?as far as cost I really which everyone would just stop it. People spend thousands of dollars on TVs and stereos at $300 its just as expensive as a high end video card for christ sake.
    Those "high end" stereos and video cards serve multiple practical purposes. The companies that make them also survive more on their more common products.It's really not the same thing.
    Exactly. $300 for a toy? Remember the Rift is a "toy" for all intents and purposes. It has VERY limited use in a home setting. It also means that the $500 Monitor (x2 if dual monitoring, x3 if triple monitoring) a user may have is now null and void.

Sean, I don't know about you, but I do not have money burning a hole in my pocket. Maybe $300 is a drop in the bucket for you, but for me, that takes saving and NEVER foolishly spent. Maybe you can buy me one, since you think it is so cheap?

I am intrigued by the Rift, to be sure. Will I be getting one? Not in the near future. I also do not have a 3D TV (with glasses) or monitor. I rarely buy top-of-the-line technology when it comes out. I am usually a generation or two behind "the latest and greatest" thing.

I hope it does well and gets support, but for now, I am on the sidelines for this :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Distopia

Those "high end" stereos and video cards serve multiple practical purposes. The companies that make them also survive more on their more common products.

It's really not the same thing.

a VR headset has a LOT more multiple purposes then a high end stereo system could ever even dream of.

A VR headset doesnt JUST play games. It can also play movies, training for all kinds of  various industries

You need something to hear all that don't ya ? :P

Either way the main point is what followed your point of contention. The Rift has to survive to be successful. Those companies don't usually survive on only high end products. The rift certainly has to catch on and move significant product to be successful. To do that it needs uses, which is Movies, Games and "other"... That involves and depends on other markets accepting and creating for the device, it's not as cut and dry as you're making it.

Which I might add isn't a hurdle stereos and GFX cards have to face, they're typically designed around and use pre-existing products that are available in abundance. As I said it's not the same thing.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I think VR is neat, but in so far as gaming goes, I think it will remain niche, although a very interesting niche.

Simulators obviously will go ape over it - it's what they have been trying to achieve all this time. A few genres of games will take to it somewhat - MMOs among them, but by and large I think most entertainment will stay outside -- at least until we get something as immersive as a holodeck.

I mostly play games and consume my entertainment to escape my reality for a while, but that doesn't mean I want to replace my reality entirely. I kinda like my flat monitors - it's like I'm looking through a window into an alternate reality, and as such, I'm free to also close the curtain and walk away at any time. It's not a second life, it's not an alternate reality, it's not another responsibility to juggle (and sometimes MMOs come close to all 3 of those as it is), it's a form of entertainment. But that's just me and my personal opinion.

My kids probably will love it.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Exactly. $300 for a toy? Remember the Rift is a "toy" for all intents and purposes. It has VERY limited use in a home setting. It also means that the $500 Monitor (x2 if dual monitoring, x3 if triple monitoring) a user may have is now null and void.

You could call a stereo or TV a toy in the same sense. Probably your PC as well unless you work at home same with cameras and fancy smart phones. None of these things aren't needed by people and exist only to entertain or make life a little more pleasurable. They are all luxuries.

$300 isn't that much for an entertainment device. If it replaces my $500 monitor, all the better, guess I can just effectively  get the Rift for free by buying a cheap $200 monitor next time I need one.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

I am going to try and sum up things on this topic and then leave it alone for 12 months to see what happens in the market.

1. To equate the failure of VR in the 90s is kind of like saying Beta video tape will fail because of Blueray. The resolution is higher than anything that existed at the time and that is just for the dev kit. The technology that exists today for cell phone screens is what makes it possible for this headset to work well.

2. People spend thousands of dollars on TVs and home theater systems pretty much to just enhance movies and games. Does everyone spend thousands to 10s of thousands of dollars on such gear? no. But clearly if someone is making them and someone is buying them then that means there is a market. A market doesn't have to be large for it to be a market (aka Porsche). $300 is actually fairly low for something many people have been dreaming about for decades. People dream of having a theater experience in their home and they are often willing to spend 10s of thousands of dollars for such experience.

3. Its not just for games, with some tweaks it could be used to watch movies, TV, training, experience skydiving, learn motorcycle riding etc.

4. Could it fail? Yes. but the underlining technology is there and if Oculus specifically fails others will enhance and improve with new products. Oculus already has competition in this market.

5. FPS: The idea of FPS is realism. So yeah moving your head instead of moving your mouse may or may not be more accurate but either way it doesnt matter. 1. moving your head is more realistic anyway and 2. M+K is better than a controller but that doesn't stop hard core player from using a controller.

6. Whats the real con? There are two real cons to the Oculus that I have noticed nobody has pointed out. 1. Controls, its impossible to see your keyboard, GUI screen activities like menus etc is hard to do and they will have to find a different approach. 2. Given that its not translucent you have to take it off to do anything in the real world. That is going to be a problem in games that might need you to be in the VR space as well as the traditional space. Having said that, guess what? translucent monitors are a thing of reality and people are already working on glasses that are translucent monitors.

Take care see you next year

(ADDED: I could end up eating my words and there maybe no future in VR. I recall when WoW came out and saying to myself 'no no people want the technology to move toward realism not cartoons' and well...see what happen

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Thinking about VR and Mmos, I can't help but be reminded of the DOT Hack series. How I loved the 'idea' of a VR Mmo. Not sure now if I'd want it though.

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

What i hope is that they don't ask for more backers once the release time arrives or just before it happen's and also push the release date. Looks like a standard thing that business do recently.

Also it is true that it is going to take time before developers release full products for this new technology . Remember in there video they said existing games most adapt there coding and new games must be made with that technology in mind. So basically you can't play a game already on the market with all the bells and whistles that come with the Oculus. It will look like a normal game if not adapted.

Now one thing i am wondering here is : are the 3d movies really gonna work on those or not. 2 different technology here i can see a problem for people that could think good i will buy this instead of a 3d tv.  You are wrong if you think that becasue not the same thing at all.  

Edit : i am so looking for this technology, it was a dream since a child to be able to experience this VR thing, and if they succeed then i am buying one once it is out. Hopefully it is not only a dream but a reality now

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Nice gadget, and would love one for console gaming but, when using a PC, being unable to see the keyboard while playing is a bit of a dealbreaker.  Using a couple of dozen keys - not to mention combos - with my left hand, whilst I cannot see the keyboard, renders the Oculus useless to me for PC gaming.  Fair enough if the game only requires mouse control, but for games like Eve Online, Skyrim, et.,  and all my MMORPGs I'll wait until something better suited to PC gaming comes along.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by iridescence

You could call a stereo or TV a toy in the same sense. Probably your PC as well unless you work at home same with cameras and fancy smart phones. None of these things aren't needed by people and exist only to entertain or make life a little more pleasurable. They are all luxuries.$300 isn't that much for an entertainment device. If it replaces my $500 monitor, all the better, guess I can just effectively  get the Rift for free by buying a cheap $200 monitor next time I need one.
    But these will not "replace" your monitor. You will still need it for anything else you do on the PC besides gaming. Think you can do word processing with these? How about spreadsheets? Can you do video editing with these? How about checking your e-mail? YouTube may fun, though :)

My TV has multiple purposes. I watch TV, DVDs, and play on my X-Box 360 on it. I have a fairly extensive game library of old games. Will the Oculus Rift help me in playing them?

Really, I am glad that people are excited for the Rift and its progress. I hope it is everything people want it to be. I just do not get caught up in the hype. Sorry about that.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

I am going to try and sum up things on this topic and then leave it alone for 12 months to see what happens in the market.

1. To equate the failure of VR in the 90s is kind of like saying Beta video tape will fail because of Blueray. The resolution is higher than anything that existed at the time and that is just for the dev kit. The technology that exists today for cell phone screens is what makes it possible for this headset to work well.

2. People spend thousands of dollars on TVs and home theater systems pretty much to just enhance movies and games. Does everyone spend thousands to 10s of thousands of dollars on such gear? no. But clearly if someone is making them and someone is buying them then that means there is a market. A market doesn't have to be large for it to be a market (aka Porsche). $300 is actually fairly low for something many people have been dreaming about for decades. People dream of having a theater experience in their home and they are often willing to spend 10s of thousands of dollars for such experience.

3. Its not just for games, with some tweaks it could be used to watch movies, TV, training, experience skydiving, learn motorcycle riding etc.

4. Could it fail? Yes. but the underlining technology is there and if Oculus specifically fails others will enhance and improve with new products. Oculus already has competition in this market.

5. FPS: The idea of FPS is realism. So yeah moving your head instead of moving your mouse may or may not be more accurate but either way it doesnt matter. 1. moving your head is more realistic anyway and 2. M+K is better than a controller but that doesn't stop hard core player from using a controller.

6. Whats the real con? There are two real cons to the Oculus that I have noticed nobody has pointed out. 1. Controls, its impossible to see your keyboard, GUI screen activities like menus etc is hard to do and they will have to find a different approach. 2. Given that its not translucent you have to take it off to do anything in the real world. That is going to be a problem in games that might need you to be in the VR space as well as the traditional space. Having said that, guess what? translucent monitors are a thing of reality and people are already working on glasses that are translucent monitors.

Take care see you next year

(ADDED: I could end up eating my words and there maybe no future in VR. I recall when WoW came out and saying to myself 'no no people want the technology to move toward realism not cartoons' and well...see what happen

Well regarding control if the mouse and keyboard still need to be use. Then it wont be for the clicker's that's a fact :) Joke here!!!

But i can see it will be very good for mmorpg players. to look behind you etc just by turning your head. right click mouse to tell the game to move the character not just the camera. Then the w,a,s,d, to go forward, left, right , backward and your regular 1,2,3,4,5,etc for skills or letter's rebind to work with skills or spell's .

Yes it will be another adapt yourself kind of thing. But even the key binding people will get use to it. Just that now they wont have that 10 sec or less reaction time to look at keyboard anymore. Again a game developer would be able to include a virtual keyboard or something similar to that at least to give the impression that you can see the keyboard eg: icon on a part of the screen that shows the skill and the corresponding key attach to it like on a regular monitor and if your finger's are already place in a certain way on the keyboard you know exactly where that key is by default specially if you are the one that re-bind your own key's.

But you wont be able to eat or drink anymore at the same time you play or even smoke ( for smokers only) that could be a issue for certain people. :) 

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by gamesrfun   At that point, you get to see who is going to grow up embracing new technologies and who is going to continue to read hard cover novels.  
    I had to actually check your age as that seemed like something an adolescent would say. 31 really? I'm sure you've seen a bit of the world at 31 and know that things "books" are still a part of every day society and aren't going away.;

Just because you think this cool and novel technology is worth it doesn't mean that everyone will care.

Not everyone needs High Definition or 3D or more bells and whistles. Some people just want good content.

There are great games out there that have been around for years and people still go back to them becuase they are great.

Vampire Masquerade is one of them. I also put a plug for Masters of Orion II and Andromeda and Morrowind.

Good for you that you like it but until there is solid proof that it is "AMAZING" and that no game experience is worth it without it, I think the jury is still going to be out on this one.

Going with Sovrath on this one - what's wrong with reading hard cover novels anyway?

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I'd like to add, if and when one has a family and want to watch or play together, isn't the point to 'be together'. 3+ individuals of a family sitting together but separated by headsets isn't very 'together' in my eyes. Once in a while maybe, but I doubt it'll replace 'meaningful' interaction.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

But these will not "replace" your monitor. You will still need it for anything else you do on the PC besides gaming. Think you can do word processing with these? How about spreadsheets? Can you do video editing with these? How about checking your e-mail? YouTube may fun, though :)

No but if the Rift makes it so I rarely use my monitor for gaming it'll mean that I can just buy a very cheap monitor or keep the still quite nice 4 year old LCD Dell monitor I have until it literally wears out so that would still save me money. 

I'm not drinking the Rift Kool-Aid yet. It may totally flop but it's a potentially very nice piece of tech and personally I don't understand ignoring it because of the quite modest price tag :)

At least they don't want $1000 for it like the Google Glasses. Those I will definitely be waiting on (although again I'm intrigued by the tech itself).

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

cell phone from the 90s

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hfHjj9ezz-I/SZ5F4keTlcI/AAAAAAAAC-8/M8ZBt56P5Cg/s400/early-cell-phone.jpg

The SPECIFIC reason its popular now is because of the technology that exists NOW that didnt exist in the 90s

What point exactly do you think you're trying to make?

The SPECIFIC reason cell phones are more popular now is they're cheaper and cell coverage is far better. What that has to do with 3D VR headsets, I've not a clue.

3D TVs weren't available in the 90s, commonly are today, and still aren't very popular.

Thinking that something is going to be a success just because the tech has improved some is downright silly.

Those two comments you made contradict each other.  Cell phones are cheaper and better coverage is because of the improvement of technology.   LCD and LED TVs werent available either in the 90s and very popular today

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

To everyone that doesn't understand or is bashing the Oculus Rift, please do us and yourselves a favor and go read up on it.  Watch some videos.  Learn about it.....because it's coming, and it WILL change gaming forever, I can promise you that.

I have a Dev Kit. I've used it a bit, and I can easily see where this can and will go in the forseeable future.  The thing is incredible.  If you've ever used a VR headset before, then you know why they usually have ALL sucked.  Head tracking was slow, the field of vision was too low, and made it feel like you were looking through toilet paper rolls. 

The OR isn't like that at all.  It's perfect 1:1 ratio for head tracking.  Which means, it absolutely simulates your head moving around.  The field of vision is also incredible.  It sucks you in.

What is amazing is how wild the feeling is when you are simply walking around the "Tuscany House" and you are in complete wonder.  You FEEL like you are really there.  Walking around, looking at the flowers, looking up at the ceiling, looking over a balcony down to the bottom floor.  It's truly incredible.

Now, throw in an actual game that you've always loved, and that's when shit gets real.  I played Half Life 2 for a while.  I literally spent 30 minutes just walking around the train station area where you start the game!  Why?  Because of the amazement of just how surreal it was to actually FEEL like I was there for real.  See, the OR doesn't just do the head tracking and the field of view perfectly, it also adds in the depth of field with the most incredible 3D I've ever seen.  It will seriously blow your mind. 

But there's a problem.  And a rather huge one at that.  It's also the reason I haven't take the OR out of the box since the 2nd day I had it.  Nausea!  Never have I had motion sickness.  I can ride the craziest roller coasters, Mission to Mars at Epcot on extreme, gravity balls, etc.  I've always felt immune to motion sickness and incredible G's.  But this headset made me sick as hell!!!  I took it off too late, then went and puked.  I laid down and took a nap to hopefully feel better.  I seriously didn't feel good until the next day. 

So yes, while the OR is absolutely incredible and revolutionary, it does have a very serious problem to overcome.  I'm not sure how they can do it.  But it's problem is actually it's main benefit.  It's immersion effect is so perfect, that our own bodies cannot handle it and get sick. 

So please, if you do not understand the Rift.  Try it for yourself, and/or do some research before just thinking it's anywhere similar to what the world has seen before.  Because it's MILES ahead of anything before it. 

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

When Oculus is out with Star Citizen, I will probably quit my job :D

no more sitting in front of games, total immersion inside the game instead

I have tried it, it freaked me out like you are suddenly somewhere else and everything in the game world seems tangible

watch this

http://youtu.be/Iz1alrrY8T0

had a similiar experience with another horror demo, it is real horror beyond anything imaginable

your body and brain believe you will get literally eaten by monsters

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm only getting older each year. Unless they can get the OR down to the weight of reading glasses I can't see myself using it as a primary gaming device.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

$300 for a toy? 

No, $300 for a dev kit. We don't know what an OR will sell for. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Virtual reality and 3D technology are coming. As technology evolves, I think it's bound to happen sooner or later.

However, I think that those raving about Oculus Rift should be a bit more patient. Oculus Rift is a great device for half an hour of fun, but it might not be at the level where you'd want to regularly keep it on your head for hours. I think it's more likely that Oculus Rift is still a trailblazer for new technology, and that the real success will be something that improves from it.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

You can not experience skydiving with a screen strapped to your face, nor can you learn to ride a motorcycle the same way. 

The motorcycle comment is just ridiculous, and anyone that's ever rode a motorcycle would know this. 

It's a gaming headset, not "virtual reality". 

Better is never a guarantee.  Most guys I know in the software industry are always lamenting over Linux not being the OS of choice on home PC's.  The occulus rift will be like anything else that requires developer support, it will succeed or fail based upon the GAMES that are made for it.  If developers don't develop games for it, then it won't matter how much it costs or how "cool" it is, it'll fade from the market. 

One article I read summed it up best, it's a chicken or the egg scenario for the Rift.  In order for it to succeed it needs developers to develop for it, but developers don't develop for things that don't have a large enough market. 

It doesn't matter how good the technology is today, unless there are games to play  on it that people want to play then the thing will never go anywhere, and right now they don't actually have any developer support. 

Right this very moment, it's more likely it will fail than succeed, because again without developers developing GAMES for it, it's USELESS.  Right this moment, they're still trying to get the developer support they need. 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Uhwop

You can not experience skydiving with a screen strapped to your face, nor can you learn to ride a motorcycle the same way. 

The motorcycle comment is just ridiculous, and anyone that's ever rode a motorcycle would know this. 

It's a gaming headset, not "virtual reality". 

Better is never a guarantee.  Most guys I know in the software industry are always lamenting over Linux not being the OS of choice on home PC's.  The occulus rift will be like anything else that requires developer support, it will succeed or fail based upon the GAMES that are made for it.  If developers don't develop games for it, then it won't matter how much it costs or how "cool" it is, it'll fade from the market. 

One article I read summed it up best, it's a chicken or the egg scenario for the Rift.  In order for it to succeed it needs developers to develop for it, but developers don't develop for things that don't have a large enough market. 

It doesn't matter how good the technology is today, unless there are games to play  on it that people want to play then the thing will never go anywhere, and right now they don't actually have any developer support. 

Right this very moment, it's more likely it will fail than succeed, because again without developers developing GAMES for it, it's USELESS.  Right this moment, they're still trying to get the developer support they need. 

someone has already spent a ton of money on sky diving simulator without the headset. I have no doubt headsets will be around the corner

http://skyventurecolorado.com/sky-venture-colorado-skydiving-gallery.htm

the Rift is not just for games I dont understand how that is not painfully obvious

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me