Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spongebob Squarepants MMO!!!

PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

Gotchya!!!

It would be a good idea though.Play a fish or something maybe try to open up your own little "chum bucket"?Id think it would be more of a virtual life.It could come complete with player housing and boats on wheels for mounts just like in the show.

PvP would be included too.Nothing serious just bragging rights.All characters in show would be digital actors as well.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)

Comments

• pinkdaisypinkdaisy Member CommonPosts: 361

As i've pointed out in other posts, movie franchises (and this would also apply to TV franchises, in this case spongebob squarpants) don't make good MMOs.  Movies/TV shows have one -- or a very limited number of protagonists and antagonists.  There is a "hero" in those mediums.  In the case of SBSP, spongebob is the hero. 

The problem with making a movie/TV show into an MMO is that not everyone can be the hero.  No one wants to be "unamed_random_sponge1047", they want to be sponge bob, patrick, or mr. crab.  If you *did* allow everyone to be a hero, then none of them are heroes.  The transfer is fundamentally flawed.

This isn't to say that movie/TV/singer/pro athlete franchises don't port well to games.  In the game of single-player RPGs, they do port well.  It makes sense in a single-player game to allow the gamer to become the hero spongebob.

Big companies are the ones who typically own/obtain the rights to create MMOs based on successful franchises (SWG, star trek, MxO, MEO anyone?).  The problem is the ones negotiating these deals don't give a damn whether the MMO they make at the end of the day is anygood or not.  They are just trying to leverage existing franchises into as many mediums as possible regardless of whether it makes sense or not from a gameplay standpoint.

Can me a conspiracy theorist if you like, but i just attended a dinner in the seattle area last month.  It was a panel disucssion on the game industry.  There were people from microsoft, other game companies, and one venture capitalist.  Not surprisingly the VC talked about how IP (intellectual property) owners needed to move their franchises to every possible medium to make as much money as possible.  An example would be to take a successful movie and make a cartoon, action figures, comics, video games, etc.  While it might make sense to move a franchise from one medium to another, there was no discussion about doing it only where it made sense.  Instead the advice was to do it wherever possible.  No wonder so many games based on movies turn out to be such crap.

PD

www.TheChippedDagger.com My 90-day 2D Java MMORPG project

They that can give up essential liberty for temporary safetey deserve neither. -- Ben Franklin
    If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. -- Milton Berle

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

puoltry i used to think u were a good member.........

now im gonna go re evaluate my life....

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Originally posted by Vampyr

puoltry i used to think u were a good member.........
    now im gonna go re evaluate my life....

Let me join you on that path....

Spongebob ruined the future of cartoons....

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• TheWarcTheWarc Member Posts: 1,199
    Where is this world going to...
  • RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Originally posted by TheWarc

Etheopia ?

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• KMar_SoldierKMar_Soldier Member Posts: 41

Oh my...

Originally posted by TheWarc

Six feet under.

::Semper Paratus Pro Justitia::

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

Good gawd lighten up a bit i was just killing time.:)

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

• TranquilityTranquility Member Posts: 171

Yeah that would be cool, and skills to annoy squidward's(mobs).

Lol, damn i bet all the major mmo company's are orginising meetings right now to get the license !

LOLimage

• PizzaFarnoPizzaFarno Member Posts: 179

Wow,this is a new stage of mmorpgs.The fall of mmorpgs-Gay ones

• DekothDekoth Member Posts: 474

Spongebob ruined the future of cartoons....

That statement alone virtually sum's up my entire feelings of this thread.

However I would of course like to add,

Spongebob destroyed what little hope I had left for this generation.

Heh and they called my Generation, "Generation X"

• doobsterdoobster Member Posts: 736

Originally posted by pinkdaisy

As i've pointed out in other posts, movie franchises (and this would also apply to TV franchises, in this case spongebob squarpants) don't make good MMOs.  Movies/TV shows have one -- or a very limited number of protagonists and antagonists.  There is a "hero" in those mediums.  In the case of SBSP, spongebob is the hero. 
    The problem with making a movie/TV show into an MMO is that not everyone can be the hero.  No one wants to be "unamed_random_sponge1047", they want to be sponge bob, patrick, or mr. crab.  If you *did* allow everyone to be a hero, then none of them are heroes.  The transfer is fundamentally flawed.
    This isn't to say that movie/TV/singer/pro athlete franchises don't port well to games.  In the game of single-player RPGs, they do port well.  It makes sense in a single-player game to allow the gamer to become the hero spongebob.
    Big companies are the ones who typically own/obtain the rights to create MMOs based on successful franchises (SWG, star trek, MxO, MEO anyone?).  The problem is the ones negotiating these deals don't give a damn whether the MMO they make at the end of the day is anygood or not.  They are just trying to leverage existing franchises into as many mediums as possible regardless of whether it makes sense or not from a gameplay standpoint.
    Can me a conspiracy theorist if you like, but i just attended a dinner in the seattle area last month.  It was a panel disucssion on the game industry.  There were people from microsoft, other game companies, and one venture capitalist.  Not surprisingly the VC talked about how IP (intellectual property) owners needed to move their franchises to every possible medium to make as much money as possible.  An example would be to take a successful movie and make a cartoon, action figures, comics, video games, etc.  While it might make sense to move a franchise from one medium to another, there was no discussion about doing it only where it made sense.  Instead the advice was to do it wherever possible.  No wonder so many games based on movies turn out to be such crap.
    PD

Thank you PD, for renewing my faith in MMORPG.com.  Great posts lately, well thought out, well structured, and good points.  I enjoy them, and will enjoy reading more.
  • PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

Seriously guys LIGHTEN UP a bit here.It was a joke and i was never serious about it.Were talking GAMES here ok?

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

• MagicStarMagicStar Member Posts: 380

You can't turn everything into an mmorpg.

----------------------
    Give me lights give me action. With a touch of a button!

• SobishSobish Member Posts: 61
    I don't see anything wrong with the Sponge bob mmo idea, would be great for the kids like my 5 year old daughter. Heck i'd prolly even play it!  image  Look how well Disney did with Toon Town and i think Sponge Bob is cool!  image   
  • fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

im all for it!

but you could have guess that
    <===