Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's the state of the game?

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Frostvein

Depends on who you ask.

They have a core stable playerbase and a bunch of F2P players that rotate in and out.

+1

On this site a " state of the game" is always a loaded question. The most biased answers you'll ever see show up here. Trying to use logic and reason to explain ones "bias" is a bit like trying to push water up hill. You think you're doing a great job of it, everyone else thinks you're an idiot for even trying.

come on..we need something more specific

we cant rage over something , as vague, as that

thats like a weather report saying " tomorrow, the sun will shine on parts of the World. other parts may have rainfall"

the information is correct ,but its also totally useless

Or you could just not hunt for things about this game that make you rage. That's fun too....

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by doodphace

The space expansion released a month ago.

One could think otherwise looking at the official forums. The f2p launch of GSF in January is the next big thing!

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by lugal

Originally posted by DocBrody

You left out the biggest draw for the kind of people who actually stick around.

Reason C "It's BioWare."

Do not think "C" can be counted as an option, as Bioware only exists in name, all the talent that made the company great in the past, have been gone for a long time.

I think the game's bumping along, not doing great but managing to hang in there thanks to the Cartel Market.

Bioware isn't what it used be back in the day when it made Dragon Age Origins. It's pretty much been all down hill in terms of quality since then, with debacles like the far smaller Dragon Age 2, and the horrible ending for Mass Effect 3. Such a shame Bioware was bought by EA. EA has won 2 consecutive years of the Consumerist's Golden Poo Award for Worst Company in America http://www.geekosystem.com/ea-is-the-worst-again/ I found the storylines in SWTOR less compelling and meaningful than those in DA Origins.

SWTOR didn't perform as well as the developers initially bragged it would, and the diva programmers or their bosses gave us a Star Wars WOW revamp with interactive stories that stop once all the stages are finished. There was a lot of hubris in the SWTOR hype. It seems they reaped what they sowed and had to go Free with Cartel Market in order to stay viable.

SWTOR will probably stick around for a long time since it has a famous name brand supported by lots of Star Wars merchandising and movies/cartoons. Even if free players don't stay long, they'll still possibly throw some coins into EA's coffers.

I'm more curious about how the SWTOR Free-to-play plus Cartel Market cash shop model will stand up over time. I wonder if players will get tired of spending money on intangible virtual goods.... Might it start to feel like being nickel and dimed? How much money will they have lost when they finally tally the cost? I think the price tag penny only starts to drop once players get bored with a game. At that point subs might start looking way better than the very lucrative cash shop/slot machine games out there.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by gervaise1

One could think otherwise looking at the official forums. The f2p launch of GSF in January is the next big thing!

The chain in which you convienantly left out, was talking about subscription numbers. The previous poster stated that subscribtions might increase when the space xpac comes out...i then advised him that it was already released a month ago (its odd that someone with such intimate knowledge of the community to estimate how how many subscribers, let alone active players the game has, wasn't aware of that).

Are you trying to imply that GSF releasing for F2P members in Jan has a higher chance of driving up subscription numbers than GSF being subscription only content as it has been for the past month?  Ya, im guessing you either didn't read the previous posts, or left them out on purpose, otherwise there was absolutly 0 reason to quote me :)

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

This game severely backfired for EA, to be sure.  EA spent $860 million to acquire BioWare (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-buying-bioware-pandemic-for-860m/1100-6180818/), then upwards of $300 million to make SWTOR ($300 mil tops according to EALouse, other estimates lower).

All EA did was put mud all over the brand BioWare.  They sought to More than compete with WoW (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306437/bioware-old-republic-will-more-than-compete-with-world-of-warcraft/) but they didn't understand what makes MMO'ers want to play MMORPG's.

As to the state of the game, the graphics engine is still horrible.  When you need to tweak a really good system to turn off basic services, just to get a few extra CPU cycles, there is a problem.  It plays great solo player, but when more than a dozen players are on-screen at once, the frame rate drops fast.  Illum was shut-down as an open-world PVP planet because of this; having several dozen players fighting caused framerates to tank less than 1 fps - it was pathetic.

The only way to get customer support is to subscribe.  Even if you buy stuff off the cash-shop CM as a freemium player, you still don't have access to essential support.

This is coming from a subscriber.  But if this game was not Star Wars, I wouldn't even be talking about it.

EA will keep the BioWare logo under their belt, just as they did for Origin Systems when they bought out a once good Ultima franchise.  It's sadistic irony that EA made a once great company name into a horrible Steam clone (Origin) with an EULA that most people would not want to accept once understood.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Came to this thread expecting to see the usual suspects beating their same tired "I hate ToR!" dead horses.

Was not disappointed.

The denizens of MMORPG.com are nothing if not depressingly predictable.

OP, if you really want to know what the state of the game is -- and, let's face it, that's laughably unlikely -- go play it.

It's not like it'll cost you anything to log in.

Originally posted by Myria

Came to this thread expecting to see the usual suspects beating their same tired "I hate ToR!" dead horses.

Was not disappointed.

The denizens of MMORPG.com are nothing if not depressingly predictable.

OP, if you really want to know what the state of the game is -- and, let's face it, that's laughably unlikely -- go play it.

It's not like it'll cost you anything to log in.

The truth hurts sometimes.

(some) People criticizing SWTOR still play the game, but their version of honest discussion is not "Best game ever, will throw money now!", "I want to buy everything in the CM, it's awesome!".  Look at the criticism next time and comment on what was said, instead of lumping everyone in the category of "haters", which is what you implied.

Open your mind....see what others might see.

It's not like it'll cost you anything to log in.  <-- the only thing you said I agree with!

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Reion1
    I'm just curious what the state of the game is looking like, in terms of populations, any new raids and I dont know about this galatic starfighter expansion but I was just checking server load and there are only two servers that are listed under heavy? This strikes me as odd because I remember my co worker telling me how bioware bought the license for atleast another decade. My question is how will they continue to maintain upfloat if no body plays the games?  This saddends me because I really do love SW and I feel that if another developer was given the chance to make this work that this game would be number one right now. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Not sure if any1 could do better job. After all... as for sub games goes .. swtor is most successful game after wow. Yep, pretty behind but stil strong 2nd. And swtor as it is is great, fun and looks & feel like sw game. Do not bother with "heavy" load with servers ... some company can allow i.e. 1000 players at once and call this "heavy load" while another could allow 10x more and call that medium load. Barely can wait for some new true expansion with new levels, worlds, ... Maybe some new class or alike. As it all looks from my experience playing it ... swtor is here to stay. And would be even more playing if people for some strange reason would not listen to doom sayers (that have only this enjoyment left in their lives) and would rather play in prima persona.

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Its got a million active players a month, of which a little under 500k of those are subscribers. Most MMOs on the market would dream for those numbers

This is incorrect. EAs last quarterly report did not even mention SWTOR which means it is not making a profit. They listed every single source of their profits. The quarter before that listed FIFA making more than SWTOR with its extra content. Its on EAs investor site.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by Reion1
    I'm just curious what the state of the game is looking like, in terms of populations, any new raids and I dont know about this galatic starfighter expansion but I was just checking server load and there are only two servers that are listed under heavy? This strikes me as odd because I remember my co worker telling me how bioware bought the license for atleast another decade. My question is how will they continue to maintain upfloat if no body plays the games?  This saddends me because I really do love SW and I feel that if another developer was given the chance to make this work that this game would be number one right now. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Not sure if any1 could do better job. After all... as for sub games goes .. swtor is most successful game after wow. Yep, pretty behind but stil strong 2nd. And swtor as it is is great, fun and looks & feel like sw game. Do not bother with "heavy" load with servers ... some company can allow i.e. 1000 players at once and call this "heavy load" while another could allow 10x more and call that medium load. Barely can wait for some new true expansion with new levels, worlds, ... Maybe some new class or alike. As it all looks from my experience playing it ... swtor is here to stay. And would be even more playing if people for some strange reason would not listen to doom sayers (that have only this enjoyment left in their lives) and would rather play in prima persona.

You are living in 2012.  Eve boasted more subscribers than SWTOR (550k).  That was when EA said they were below 500k (yet above 1, har har).  That immediately puts SWTOR at #3 or less, and that was a year ago, when things were good.

As a F2P (freemiun really) game, SWTOR is not 2nd. Not even 3rd or 4th.

And SWTOR is really for the US / EU markets.  If you consider Asian games, SWTOR is far below.  Wow is king because half of their account are Asian.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Re-subbed a few months back for a bit just to work through a couple of the class storylines that I didn't get to see the first time through.  Population on my server was healthy, and the game has improved in some aspects.  Decent amount of content and things to keep you busy.  Once the galactic starfighter expansion comes out, should be even better.  

Not a great game by any means, and it still suffers from some of the same issues I had with it the first time around, but I'd still rank it as a decent themepark MMO, and I still find it much more enjoyable to play than games like Rift and GW2, even while admitting those are both better overall games.  

Bioware is trudging along with this one.  If they keep adding new content at a fast enough pace, this game will be fine in the long run.  It will just never be the game many of us hoped for.  

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by gervaise1

The chain in which you convienantly left out, was talking about subscription numbers. The previous poster stated that subscribtions might increase when the space xpac comes out...i then advised him that it was already released a month ago (its odd that someone with such intimate knowledge of the community to estimate how how many subscribers, let alone active players the game has, wasn't aware of that).

Are you trying to imply that GSF releasing for F2P members in Jan has a higher chance of driving up subscription numbers than GSF being subscription only content as it has been for the past month?  Ya, im guessing you either didn't read the previous posts, or left them out on purpose, otherwise there was absolutly 0 reason to quote me :)

doodphace is right, I didn't realise it had released already(sorry).  Also it's the early access part which will hace boosted subs by any real amount(or not) not the f2p launch, although it's possible that part will boost the population more.

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159

right now there is 4 max lvl raids 

1: terror from beyond  5 bosses  3 modes   story- hardmode-nightmare

2: scum and villainy    7 bosses  3 modes   story- hardmode-nightmare

3: dread fortress         5 bosses   2 modes   story- hardmode

4: dread palace           5 bosses   2 modes   story- hardmode

and  Tobboro   1 boss   2 modes   story-hardmode

nr 3 and 4 are the new ones 

i have done every one of this raids and  from my perspective they are very vel done. lots of fun

this is comming from a 6 years wow raider

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Karteli

This game severely backfired for EA, to be sure.  EA spent $860 million to acquire BioWare (http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-buying-bioware-pandemic-for-860m/1100-6180818/), then upwards of $300 million to make SWTOR ($300 mil tops according to EALouse, other estimates lower).

All EA did was put mud all over the brand BioWare.  They sought to More than compete with WoW (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306437/bioware-old-republic-will-more-than-compete-with-world-of-warcraft/) but they didn't understand what makes MMO'ers want to play MMORPG's.

As to the state of the game, the graphics engine is still horrible.  When you need to tweak a really good system to turn off basic services, just to get a few extra CPU cycles, there is a problem.  It plays great solo player, but when more than a dozen players are on-screen at once, the frame rate drops fast.  Illum was shut-down as an open-world PVP planet because of this; having several dozen players fighting caused framerates to tank less than 1 fps - it was pathetic.

The only way to get customer support is to subscribe.  Even if you buy stuff off the cash-shop CM as a freemium player, you still don't have access to essential support.

This is coming from a subscriber.  But if this game was not Star Wars, I wouldn't even be talking about it.

EA will keep the BioWare logo under their belt, just as they did for Origin Systems when they bought out a once good Ultima franchise.  It's sadistic irony that EA made a once great company name into a horrible Steam clone (Origin) with an EULA that most people would not want to accept once understood.

according, to the doctor, the beta testers were ecstatic with joy

according, to some beta testers, it was quite opposite

now, we know , who was right

and, the 10s of mios of players? we will wait , for TITAN, to launch

maybe it will tank too, but it wont drag a well known IP Down with it

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210

nope still the second largest Western MMO out there.  Eve has 550k players  

Swtor has around 1 million players

They also said back in the Q1 2013 earnings call that the game was making more money then it was over a year ago.  That means it is making more money with the subs and the cash shop then it was when it had over 1 million subscribers.

Originally posted by bobdole1979

They also said back in the Q1 2013 earnings call that the game was making more money then it was over a year ago.  That means it is making more money with the subs and the cash shop then it was when it had over 1 million subscribers.

by your defintion, a F2Per pays as much , as a subbed player

if that was true ,WoT, and LoL would be drowning in $ now, they have roughly 50 mio players each

the second largest in the West? with 500k subs?

what place did they have at launch, with 5 X that?..also second in the west

that title doesnt mean squat

• loltacololloltacolol Member UncommonPosts: 26

Let me break this down and put it nice and simple for Swtor.

-The population is healthy lots of players! This is not World Of Warcraft you will not see 200 servers 30 of them being full.

-PvP is better than most MMO tab targeting games (COUCH WOW COUCH).  Arena 4v4 is now the new ranked mode no more warzones 8v8.

-PvE has a few raids and dungeons.  The over all quality of raids is OK its not bad  but could be better.

-F2p for Swtor is complete shit do not try and play the game F2P lol!

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

I came back a month ago and every day a lot of people in my guild come back. According to my guildies before f2p they had 20ish active members, now according to the game(it counts active members to provide an xp buff based on the number) we have 140 active members.

The game if full, i started a new toon and the starting areas were packed all up until 3-4 a.m....

They did a big push to get people back(as they did a lot of changes, most of them that i like) for Galactic Starfighter(their expansion with Space PVP) and from what i can tell it worked. Some of my guildies only play the space PVP part now...

We will see what will happen when other games launch but so far its the best MMO on the market for the leveling experience, with the voice acted quests and such... i`m guessing a lot of people trying it stay to at least get 1 character up to 55 and experience the story... We will see how many actually stick with the game in a few month.

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

if that was true ,WoT, and LoL would be drowning in $ now, 

uh, they are...

if that was true ,WoT, and LoL would be drowning in $ now, they have roughly 50 mio players each

no not at all see this is the beauty of F2P players can pay as much as they want so you get some players paying nothing and some player paying 10 times as much as a sub which is clearly what is happening. 

yes WoT and LoL ARE DROWING in cash.  LoL is HUGE and making money by the truck load.  WoT is too thats why they are making WoP and WoT for consoles.   If you ever get a chance to go to E3 go to the WoT party they are insane.  They own a real tank and drive it to the parties. 

No second largest MMO in the West with 1 million players. 

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Karahandras

Still going downhill like any other themepark, that era will very likely be over in 2014/15.

They don't tell you about sub numbers for a reason, probably around 150K 

and GSF is a clone of a free game on Steam called Star Conflict, just without PvE and less features

TBH I think 150k sounds reasonably accurate*and could even be very generous), but I also think it'll boost when the space expansion gets released, clone or not.  By how much and for how long will be interesting to see and could even define the future of swtor.

im guessing at 250 k

until theyre nr 1 , or they shut Down, we wont know anything

Certainly a possibility atm with the expansion been released for subing players.  Of course the opposite could be true too and it could have 50k subs(not during the 'spikes').

I think it's a safe bet to say they numbers have dropped since they released the 500k number with the last expansion(and that the 10mil/1mil being put about isn't realistic) but other than that I agree all this is just guesstimates for a bit of an interesting discussion.

no not at all see this is the beauty of F2P players can pay as much as they want so you get some players paying nothing and some player paying 10 times as much as a sub which is clearly what is happening. 

yes WoT and LoL ARE DROWING in cash.  LoL is HUGE and making money by the truck load.  WoT is too thats why they are making WoP and WoT for consoles.   If you ever get a chance to go to E3 go to the WoT party they are insane.  They own a real tank and drive it to the parties. 

exactly, in short: theyre milking their whales

i know, WoT is doing extremely well, possibly the best numbers on the market

but, theyre clearly NOT drowning in cash

IF THEY WERE , THEY PROLLY WOULDNT TRY , TO GET MORE CASH

Again: they were nr2, at launch, with 2,5 mio subs

if they still are nr2 , with 500k subs, what does that say about being nr 2?

i have seen real tanks before, even been inside a few

bringing a tank to a party is a nice gimmick, though, reminds me of the old college movies

Still going downhill like any other themepark, that era will very likely be over in 2014/15.

They don't tell you about sub numbers for a reason, probably around 150K 

and GSF is a clone of a free game on Steam called Star Conflict, just without PvE and less features

TBH I think 150k sounds reasonably accurate*and could even be very generous), but I also think it'll boost when the space expansion gets released, clone or not.  By how much and for how long will be interesting to see and could even define the future of swtor.

im guessing at 250 k

until theyre nr 1 , or they shut Down, we wont know anything

Certainly a possibility atm with the expansion been released for subing players.  Of course the opposite could be true too and it could have 50k subs(not during the 'spikes').

I think it's a safe bet to say they numbers have dropped since they released the 500k number with the last expansion(and that the 10mil/1mil being put about isn't realistic) but other than that I agree all this is just guesstimates for a bit of an interesting discussion.

i could see, where the 10, and 1 mio would fit in

10 mios tried it

1 mio liked it

other, than that...

exactly, in short: theyre milking their whales

i know, WoT is doing extremely well, possibly the best numbers on the market

but, theyre clearly NOT drowning in cash

IF THEY WERE , THEY PROLLY WOULDNT TRY , TO GET MORE CASH

Again: they were nr2, at launch, with 2,5 mio subs

if they still are nr2 , with 500k subs, what does that say about being nr 2?

i have seen real tanks before, even been inside a few

bringing a tank to a party is a nice gimmick, though, reminds me of the old college movies

No different then any other F2P game.   Call it milking if you want but that means every other game that has any kind of cash shop is also milking.   WoW, TF2, WoT, are all milking then. 

No  LoL has the best numbers that's for sure.   

wait let me get this right you think that if WoT was drowning in cash they wouldn't try to make more money.....

Are you freaking serious???

You think companies go  "Hey guys we made enough money lets stop making money"

No company in the history of the world has ever said that.

As i've said before SWTOR is at #2 because it has 1 MILLION Players  not 500k subs.  

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

to a new player, its in great condition with less bugs etc.

For a player that has been there from launch, with no class stories to look forward to, its a different perspective.

The game might be lacking in end game features, which is why it varies on who's perspective.

---------------------------------

It does have small scale pvp, but no pvp systems connecting to the environment, such as open world pvp systems.

Crafting is a mini game at end game to make money, and has no real use at end game. Same with resource gathering, and exploration as a result.

No player housing. ships do not count, since we can not decorate them codex unlocks/trophies.

They have no ambition to put the real benefits to the game such as pazaak, gambling, and bounty hunting. Which could easily be added in one patch and not even a real update. But would rather put a new pointless daily zone for gear grinders that like to grind. It seems this is what people want... just to do easy content repeatedly, or the customer they are catering to.

Companions are nice to have. Something that makes swtor better than other mmos. However, no open world pvp, and no plans for class story, or mini games such as swoop racing, leaves you with a slowly developed game that adds too much of the same.

There is the new GSF, but if thats not your thing... you will have to wait as a veteran of the game much longer for new content... and probably never see other content like bounty hunting (pvp) - not the silly event. Same with getting reputation with factions are meaningles since there is no othe faction, its only building favor passively to unlock vanity items. It should be two factions, and choosing which faction to build favor with and they play a role in pvp/pve.

No mounted pvp, or plans for it.

Soit depends also on what you are looking for. I enjoyed the story and combat. Not a fan of gear grinds. Maybe you will like the Makeb story enough to play it on alts. I played it once through, and its alright,but the environments are not great at times especailly when the creeps are all dead, since they are just standing there to begin with, but a boring environment with missing static npcs was very immersion breaking.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

This discussion has been closed.