Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of getting this game, a few questions.

muchavezmuchavez Member UncommonPosts: 199

Hey all, with the recent housing patch I think my wife and I will be picking up this game as we both love housing, and she loves making pretty characters / good graphics / cosmetic clothes.

1. How are some of the more casual endgame options ie fishing / crafting.  Are all endgame raids uber hard?  We are more on the casual side and will probably do housing / fates / maybe light raiding and other fluff as our endgame.

2. How easy is switching your class?  Is it really just switching your weapon / leveling up the new class? no gotcha's anywhere?

3. My wife loves dressing her character up, how are clothing modes, lots of different styles?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by muchavez

Hey all, with the recent housing patch I think my wife and I will be picking up this game as we both love housing, and she loves making pretty characters / good graphics / cosmetic clothes.

1. How are some of the more casual endgame options ie fishing / crafting.  Are all endgame raids uber hard?  We are more on the casual side and will probably do housing / fates / maybe light raiding and other fluff as our endgame.

2. How easy is switching your class?  Is it really just switching your weapon / leveling up the new class? no gotcha's anywhere?

3. My wife loves dressing her character up, how are clothing modes, lots of different styles?

Thanks for your help.

Don't get the game just because of the housing.

They cost million and millions of gil and you need to be part of a big guild to collectevly raise the money needed to buy even a small house.  With that said, player/individual housing is slated for 6 months down the road.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game and play daily.  It's my mmo of choice, however, you shouldn't get this game just for the housing because it's considered an end game and long term goal of many players.  I would say less than 5% of all guilds can currently afford a house.

My 2 cents.

• muchavezmuchavez Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Originally posted by ZizouX

Thanks for your help.

Don't get the game just because of the housing.

They cost million and millions of gil and you need to be part of a big guild to collectevly raise the money needed to buy even a small house.  With that said, player/individual housing is slated for 6 months down the road.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game and play daily.  It's my mmo of choice, however, you shouldn't get this game just for the housing because it's considered an end game and long term goal of many players.  I would say less than 5% of all guilds can currently afford a house.

My 2 cents.

Ah good to know, can you comment on any of my other points?  If the current housing is pretty much impossible for 2 people to achieve we may hold off until personal housing or another game comes down the line.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

If you're going to play casually, you will love the game.

Fishing is 80% a mini game diversion and 20% helping mats for crafting.  

Crafting in this game has a lot of depth but takes a lot of work and time to make gil at a certain craft. However, it's very rewarding.

Next patch they're adding a vanity slot.  Meaning, you can mix and match whatever sets of gear you or your wife likes.  You can keep the stats of one set and match the looks of another.  There are some really great looking pieces... especially from the new raid Crystal Tower - Labyrinth of the Ancients.

There are hardcore raiding encounters and casual raiding available.  Crystal tower is causually and VERY FUN.  However, it's challenge comes in that you're matched with 16 other strangers even if you go in with 8 friends.  If it's just you and your wife, you'll be paired with 22 strangers.  The difficulty of CT comes in when no one is on a voice over ip and people are explaining to newer players how to beat the bosses.  With that said, I enjoy CT very much.  The boss encounters are hectic and fun.

If you want to do some hardcore raiding, you'll do Coils of Bahamut, which there are currently 5 (but one encounter doesn't drop loot or have bosses).

Like I said, if you enjoy "stop and smelling the roses" you will love this game.  From the writing of the quest dialogue, to the thousands of pop culture references, to Final Fantasy fan service galore.

You can also be all classes, jobs, crafts, gatherer on a single character.  

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Thanks for your help.

ok

1 - Its not a bad game for the casual player, given you can rank up all of your crafting skills, My reccomendation is not to do 1 at a time, but say do all them of 5 levels at a time, there is a serious inter-dependency between ALL crafts :)

2 - VERY easy, once you have your 'job' and then you level up other classes you just need to switch your main item and your that different class, and with the various 'pre-set' clothing you can just change with a click of a button - This is ideal for crafting as well, because each type of gathering / building will have different clothing stats so you simply change depending on if you want to build/ fish/ gather etc.... its probably the easiest game to change between classes

In terms of levelling them up each job has a major and minor class, when you get major to 30 and minor to 15 you get the quest to get your job (ie White Mage / Black mage etc) then as you level up your Job as a white mage then your major class is levelled up at same time, so when you hit 50 you then just go level up another major / minor etc

3 - this is the weakest part of the game, there is very little difference in the clothing, you cannot individually tailor items, there are (as of my last playing) no single use recepies etc, basicalyl what you have someone else (or everyone else) will

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• NadriellNadriell Member UncommonPosts: 197
    The game is fun, the end game dungeons are only hard if you do not know what you're doing and lastly, i invite you and your wife to excalibur!  you can join our FC vanadiels rejects!  we're casual but we're always up to something!
  • amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

If you want housing I'd suggest waiting on Wildstar, this game isn't really for casual players and the housing system they added to FFXI is a complete and utter mess at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_qvEj7P5rw