Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Latest Ask Us Anything Focused on PvP

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Continuing the PvP theme started by the discussion of keeps, the Elder Scrolls Online team has taken a bevy of fan questions related to the topic and answered them in the latest "Ask Us Anything" series.

When a keep is under attack, is the defending alliance informed of the assault? If so, who receives alerts? Can we receive them while we’re outside of Cyrodiil and see battles on the map? Do you have a plan to deal with spying?

When a keep is under attack, everyone in the zone will see an icon on the map that indicates the assault status, so you’ll be able to easily determine which keeps are in danger. Some events are broadcast across the entire game; for instance, you’ll see a message when an emperor is crowned or an Elder Scroll is captured no matter where you are. As far as spying goes, there are only so many systems we can put in place to prevent it before we end up getting in the way of fun, so we need to be cautious. We can, for example, prevent players from joining a campaign if they have a character of an opposing alliance assigned to that campaign. 

Read all the questions and answers on the Elder Scrolls Online page.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    I get such a bad feeling this will be like GW2 PVP when it first released..
  • EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Correction: WvW PvP
  • crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    I see a lot of doom and gloom on mmorpg about this game (what a shocker), I however feel rather optimistic and am actually pretty excited.  If the WvW is similar to GW2 then at the very least it will be better than 90% of PvP in nearly every other game.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    They have out several "ask us anythings" at this point if you buy it and don't accept what it is, that's a you problem because you shouldn't have bought it. On the flip side being so open should make for a nice gathering of community members that want to make the game a better place.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by crysent
    I see a lot of doom and gloom on mmorpg about this game (what a shocker), I however feel rather optimistic and am actually pretty excited.  If the WvW is similar to GW2 then at the very least it will be better than 90% of PvP in nearly every other game.

Just your opinion.  Personally, I'd prefer open world PVP, with an anywhere, anytime approach to PVP.   I didn't like GW2 PVP at all, even with 3 teams.  PVE social aspects weren't strong enough, and thus there was no desire to stay on a particular realm.  Just switch to the winning side & zerg.  There was no thrill from winning either, so meh.  Just my opinion.

Social aspects won't be strong with ESO either, since it is just another single player MMORPG, essentially.

I do find it fascinating, however, that Zenimax is pushing PVP as a major selling point.  Recent trailer(s), interviews, and now this Q/A focusing on PVP.  It's such a crushing blow to ES .. but perhaps Zenimax sees something I don't?  Do PVP'ers want to do PVE content first to get max level, before they can PVP en'masse? (all the while paying a sub?)

I'm stocking up on popcorn, because (IMO) this is going to be a bigger blaze than even SWTOR. /munch-munch

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by Karteli

Just your opinion.  Personally, I'd prefer open world PVP, with an anywhere, anytime approach to PVP.   I didn't like GW2 PVP at all, even with 3 teams.  PVE social aspects weren't strong enough, and thus there was no desire to stay on a particular realm.  Just switch to the winning side & zerg.  There was no thrill from winning either, so meh.  Just my opinion.

Social aspects won't be strong with ESO either, since it is just another single player MMORPG, essentially.

I do find it fascinating, however, that Zenimax is pushing PVP as a major selling point.  Recent trailer(s), interviews, and now this Q/A focusing on PVP.  It's such a crushing blow to ES .. but perhaps Zenimax sees something I don't?  Do PVP'ers want to do PVE content first to get max level, before they can PVP en'masse? (all the while paying a sub?)

I'm stocking up on popcorn, because (IMO) this is going to be a bigger blaze than even SWTOR. /munch-munch

I'm not saying I love GW2 PvP, but I've played much, much, much, much worse.  I love open world pvp also, but it MUST be done right, not half-ass like many of the games that have tried to do it.  I'd much rather have a system like GW2 or DAOC that is fluid than something like Mortal Online full of hacks, exploits, bugs, etc.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Karteli Do PVP'ers want to do PVE content first to get max level, before they can PVP en'masse? (all the while paying a sub?)

They don't have to you can start pvp play at level 10 I believe.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Karteli Do PVP'ers want to do PVE content first to get max level, before they can PVP en'masse? (all the while paying a sub?)

Only for small & queued instanced PVP areas, from what I recall.  I got the impression of doing small WoW BG's until after a player already got blue, then purple faced .. at which point they got the new zone, Cyrodiil (at max level).  I used "PVP en'masse" to indicate Cyrodiil, since the other PVP zones are not massive.

Cyrodiil is max level only, no scaling.  Which is why I'm wondering how PVP'ers will react.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Only for small & queued instanced PVP areas, from what I recall.  I got the impression of doing small WoW BG's until after a player already got blue, then purple faced .. at which point they got the new zone, Cyrodiil (at max level).  I used "PVP en'masse" to indicate Cyrodiil, since the other PVP zones are not massive.

Cyrodiil is max level only, no scaling.  Which is why I'm wondering how PVP'ers will react.

Where do you get your information?

"How to take part in battles?

All you need to take part in AvA is to enter Cyrodiil. You can do this after reaching 10th level. All players between 20th and 50th level who enter the territory of Cyrodiil receive “battle-leveling” that temproary enhances their attributes. Players with Battle levels do not have access to full class abilities, skills and perks. Character with battle level is not as strong as a character with real level."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/19/the-elder-scrolls-online-interview-paul-sage/

"Lastly, on the PvP front, I asked what sort of progression system there will be for players who participate in alliance battles. Besides being able to level from 10 to 50 by engaging in PvP in Cyrodii"

Is there a reason you seem to purposefully spread misinformation about this game?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

Yeah thats going to work for about the first month.

Then once Campaigns start filling with Max Level players any lower level is just fodder.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

cyrodiil is the only pvp the game offers.  no battlegrounds no arenas.  at lvl 10 you can enter and you get scaled up to max lvl similar to gw2.

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Then once Campaigns start filling with Max Level players any lower level is just fodder.

Characters in Campaigns will be "battle leveled." Though they won't have all the skills and gear of actually-leveled characters, they will not be fodder, according to Zeni.

Of course higher-level characters should be stronger, however. Why should it be any different in a rpg?

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

If the rvr is anything like GW2 WvW, I won t touch it , at all, ever. Worst iteration of pvp, in years.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

The social aspects with 3-factions instead of servers, will be better in my opinion.  And a lot of the DAoC team is behind ESO like Matt Firor.  GW2 WvW was extremely poorly designed in terms of scoring, it encouraged the merry go around gameplay and didn't encourge actual PvP.  ESO is doing a lot of things that will fix that, including perks for defending your keep.  It will be more PvP instead of running around playing musical chairs.

Originally posted by Soki123

If the rvr is anything like GW2 WvW, I won t touch it , at all, ever. Worst iteration of pvp, in years.

What was it you didn't like about it?

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Distopia

I hate, that it tried to be like DAOC, and failed, IMO. I want to know my enemies names, I want ranks that mean more then helping me kill guards a little better, etc, I want to have different classes to fight, not the same FOTM, fighting each other , over, and over. I want to fight over relics, orbs or whatever. I want each zone to be different, not just a copy and paste of each other. I want a dungeon to access, depending on how many keeps my realm owns. That's the reason, after a few weeks of GW 2s WvW, I quit the game, and re subbed DAOC, and still do to this day.

I hate, that it tried to be like DAOC, and failed, IMO. I want to know my enemies names, I want ranks that mean more then helping me kill guards a little better, etc, I want to have different classes to fight, not the same FOTM, fighting each other , over, and over. I want to fight over relics, orbs or whatever. I want each zone to be different, not just a copy and paste of each other. I want a dungeon to access, depending on how many keeps my realm owns. That's the reason, after a few weeks of GW 2s WvW, I quit the game, and re subbed DAOC, and still do to this day.

You share one of my main concerns then, the nature of the PVP rivalries. This is seemingly one area they're getting right, that whole server vs server thing in GW2 is the main reason I never purchased the title.

You share one of my main concerns then, the nature of the PVP rivalries. This is seemingly one area they're getting right, that whole server vs server thing in GW2 is the main reason I never purchased the title.

So much this. If a game can deliver those parts of DAoC that were pure RvR magic, I will literally cry. No, really. I will record it and put it on YouTube. Hopefully I won't break any copyrights on crying sounds.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Complete lie.  This is utter nonsense and 100% false.  Complete fabrication and not read or sourced anywhere.  So far off the mark that the account and what led to this posting has to be brought into serious question as to the motive.  

You get levelled.

Matt Firor (I believe that's who said it, it's in this weeks "ask us anything") claims that they have seen a lvl "10" beat a level 50.

I don't think it's going to be an issue. Just know you are more vulnerable, run with your guild and level up to get your "real" skills.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

You get levelled.

Matt Firor (I believe that's who said it, it's in this weeks "ask us anything") claims that they have seen a lvl "10" beat a level 50.

I don't think it's going to be an issue. Just know you are more vulnerable, run with your guild and level up to get your "real" skills.

Call me crazy, but I have very fond memories of heading into the frontiers in DAoC at low level with my first character because I couldn't wait and getting mauled mercilessly (no surprise there.) It gave me a real drive to level up and get tough. Once I was capable, I remember the first time I was fighting those SAME people (you could become notorious in daoc) and giving as good as I got and it felt amazing. I feel that the concession of battle-leveling is weaksauce, but I am still looking forward to AvA because I realize my preferences have a specific origin and should not neccessarily be catered to just because that's my ideal. If they nail the dynamics, I won't even notice. I will, however, feel bad for thise players who will never know the majestic beauty that was OF DAoC.

Originally posted by PerfArt

Call me crazy, but I have very fond memories of heading into the frontiers in DAoC at low level with my first character because I couldn't wait and getting mauled mercilessly (no surprise there.) It gave me a real drive to level up and get tough. Once I was capable, I remember the first time I was fighting those SAME people (you could become notorious in daoc) and giving as good as I got and it felt amazing. I feel that the concession of battle-leveling is weaksauce, but I am still looking forward to AvA because I realize my preferences have a specific origin and should not neccessarily be catered to just because that's my ideal. If they nail the dynamics, I won't even notice. I will, however, feel bad for thise players who will never know the majestic beauty that was OF DAoC.

I"m with you. When I played Lineage 2 beign killed by higher level players just made be level "harder". I ended up being very high levle at the time which felt great.

DAOC was my first MMO experience, what got me interested in them was Morrowind being coined as the shy mans MMORPG by GI years ago. That lead to me looking into them and seeing SWG in development, thought I'd give one a go before it released and it was DAOC. Needless to say I was completely lost at first, so I went through these big gates where a lot of folks were. Next thing I know I'm following a marching line of 100's of people, right into a volley of archer fire. I was in total awe at the time lol.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Where do you get your information?

"How to take part in battles?

All you need to take part in AvA is to enter Cyrodiil. You can do this after reaching 10th level. All players between 20th and 50th level who enter the territory of Cyrodiil receive “battle-leveling” that temproary enhances their attributes. Players with Battle levels do not have access to full class abilities, skills and perks. Character with battle level is not as strong as a character with real level."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/19/the-elder-scrolls-online-interview-paul-sage/

"Lastly, on the PvP front, I asked what sort of progression system there will be for players who participate in alliance battles. Besides being able to level from 10 to 50 by engaging in PvP in Cyrodii"

Is there a reason you seem to purposefully spread misinformation about this game?

It's not just this game it's everywhere on the forums from what I've seen.  Kartell seems to like talking about things he knows nothing about like he does know a lot about them. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/401879/Castlevania-lords-of-shadow-Anyone-played-this-on-PC-.html

DAOC was my first MMO experience, what got me interested in them was Morrowind being coined as the shy mans MMORPG by GI years ago. That lead to me looking into them and seeing SWG in development, thought I'd give one a go before it released and it was DAOC. Needless to say I was completely lost at first, so I went through these big gates where a lot of folks were. Next thing I know I'm following a marching line of 100's of people, right into a volley of archer fire. I was in total awe at the time lol.

That awe was amazing though, right? I kinda feel that no matter how well-designed or feature-packed or streamlined for a specific niche a mmorpg is these days that the feeling of awe and wonder is gone. As if it had its time and passed, everyone trading their fun goggles in for either rosy lenses or critical microscopic lenses.

I really hope I am wrong.