Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I missing out?

snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Hello everyone

So with work and family going strong in 2012-2013 I am now to the point where I have a bit of time. Last night I played WOW, since I stopped playing at ICC. I lasted only a couple hours in panda start zone and just could not do it anymore. I started playing Path of Exiles and just loving it. I really am looking to get into more of a traditional MMO. I have played a lot of MMO's back in the days ranging from DAOC, WOW, Lotro, EVE, Vanguard, GW1/GW2 and Aion were one of the bigger ones I stuck with over the years.

So with that said, Is the new FF worth the money? 

Is it best to start with the Entry monthly fee?

Is there a healing class or is it more like GW2?

Watched a whole youtube video that went over everyhting. White mage is main healer and paladin and bard are off healers from what I can understand.

Are the dungeons challenging or speed runs like WOW turned into.

Is the community in game supportive or is it full of kids filling the general chat with crap?

Thank you in advance.

Also I found it on sale for $14.99 on square enix site. Hope that comes with a free month.

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

For me....... I would say no.

• snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400

I actually ended up buying it :)

For 14.99 with a free month if I dont like it, well its the price of lunch at work :)

A few of the questions though I would like to have answered if anyone has input.

• ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 272

Hi, we have about the same background in MMOs.  That being said, this plays a lot like a slower paced wow.  groups consist of 4 ppl, tank, healer and 2 dps'ers.  The dungeons start off ridiculously easy but evolve very quickly to become quite challenging.  End game can be nigh impossible without a geared group of individuals who know exactly what to do in certain boss fights.  

The most recent patch added a lot of great quality of life features that make the game even more enjoyable to play.  

So yes it is very traditional in the holy trinity aspect.  I'm loving the game but it really only appeals to people who like very challenging end game (most of it done in groups of 8, there is one raid atm of 24 people but its pretty easy unless you do in with a pug).

The crafting is interesting but I haven't gotten very far.

All in all so far it's worth the sub fee for me, the game is gorgeous and very polished for the most part.  Combat is slower than some games but I find it to be more tactical that way, I'm not spamming a skill rotation, but rather watching the fight, waiting to silence, stun, make different decisions while waiting for my 2.5 sec cooldown, etc.

Good luck to ya. hope that helps at all.

as for speed runs, there were a few but were quickly patched by SE so that they could not be exploited.  you can tell they want all aspects to be challenging, however they don't fill dungeons with tons of trash.

Community has been very mature on my server, but there is some elitism at the top mainly because the very end game challenges are very difficult and require precision and teamwork to accomplish.  So people don't like to waste their time on those who are undergeared and inexperienced.  I am in a very casual guild that does end game, and they are a great group of helpful mature adults.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

14.99 for a AAA MMO w/the first month sub included sounds like a good deal to me. 

I consider myself a fairly jaded mmo player & I'm having a good time with this title. I say come aboard.

See also post above.

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286
    ive been turned off to this game after looking at it and looking at it and watching vids it looks to me that you just stand still and spam skills over and over so in my boredom i picked up tsw and i was supprised and it is very difrent and enjoyible for short times not taling playing constently  for 12 hrs every day 
  • snoop101snoop101 Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Thanks guys. Thats what I was looking for. 
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Does ARR have a release date for PS4 yet?

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by snoop101

Hello everyone

So with work and family going strong in 2012-2013 I am now to the point where I have a bit of time. Last night I played WOW, since I stopped playing at ICC. I lasted only a couple hours in panda start zone and just could not do it anymore. I started playing Path of Exiles and just loving it. I really am looking to get into more of a traditional MMO. I have played a lot of MMO's back in the days ranging from DAOC, WOW, Lotro, EVE, Vanguard, GW1/GW2 and Aion were one of the bigger ones I stuck with over the years.

Watched a whole youtube video that went over everyhting. White mage is main healer and paladin and bard are off healers from what I can understand.

Is the community in game supportive or is it full of kids filling the general chat with crap?

Thank you in advance.

Also I found it on sale for $14.99 on square enix site. Hope that comes with a free month.

I'll let you know exactly what FF14 : ARR is all about, have played almost 3 months myself.  Quest / Story wise the game is great. The crafting system is great also, UNTIL you get to the point where you need to farm  / grind tombstones off dungeon raids in order to exchange those tombstones for the rare mats needed to craft.  There's another punch, unless you're in a nice established friendly guild, good luck getting those dungeon raids.  Chat is spammed with requests of party members having to be geared and knowing the fight.    All in all, it was a nice 40$ for a Quest game, once you're done questing there is no point in wasting time trying to get a party going for dungeon raids. You got more chances getting a roam party going in EVE-Online.      For all the great graphics and story behind FF14 : ARR, the end game is probably one of the worst around. 

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Im loving this game, very high quality mmorpg with lots of content to progress in a variety of ways and a lot to to do at end game too.  The graphics are amazing especially if you use sweetfx to raise some things like HDR and Bloom and the environment is very well designed.  Some of the dungeons are breath taking to look at, like the crystal tower for example.  And its also got a epic main story with great characters.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

BIG NO just wait 100days to elders scrolls online.

FFXIV waste of money and time ,everything that's wrong with old school mmos.

• NadriellNadriell Member UncommonPosts: 197

OP.... i have played FFXIV since 1.0 beta, and it sucked in 1.0 but i stuck it out and met some good folks... at its heart, FFXIV is an OLD school MMO... none of this "live action combat" crap that seems to get all the kiddies today, just good ol' fashioned tab targeting, holy trinity and dungeon /raids..

I love this game, i did in 1.0 and i do even more in 2.0 and now 2.1   I encourage you to try it out and i also invite you to join my FC Vana'diels Rejects  on  Excalibur server. 218 members and we've been together for about 2 years now.. if you do join up and decide excalibur is right for you hit me up in game  the name is Hyala Silverkin we'll get those Dungeons and Raids done as we are always doing something.

Anyway, Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one...  my suggestion is buy it and try it. You coming from an older generation of MMO gamers will probably like it.

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263

I don't think you'll regret playing it (I wasn't). And I haven't noticed this being mentioned, you don't have to pay a full sub price. If you're okay with one char per server, you can pay for "entry level" (or something) instead of "standard" account. If I'm not mistaken it's 12.99 USD instead of 14.99.

I have stopped my subscription just before patch 2.1 and won't be coming back until personal housing and customization (barbershop and armor/weapon skin transfer) are ready.

All in all, it's a traditional fantasy mmo with a FF feeling added (kinda turn-based combat).

What I recommend is to find a guild asap. Have fun exploring Eorzea! :D

Cheers.

• faidedfaided Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by snoop101

Hello everyone

Thank you in advance.

Hello! So I actually just recently purchased this title b/c I too was curious.  So to answer your questions...

1.  Is it worth the money?  I cannot answer that for you, I don't control your income and anyone who says yes it is must know  you personally otherwise how would they know?  All I can say is it is worth mine.

2. Yes, if you are going to play it.

3.Are their healers?  Yes and they are needed for dungeons.

4. Are dungeons challenging?  Depends.  It really does, and this all depends on the people you run them with.  At lower levels it is extremely easy I haven't died in a single Dungeon as a DPS and I just hit level 30.

5.Hows the Community?  Its actually nice.  I jumped in just looking to play and see if it was fun and found a great Free Company (thats what guilds are called) that is extremely friendly and helpful as well as just general players I have yet to deal with someone who is a 12yr old brat.

To close the game for me is fun, I enjoy it and enjoyed it before I joined a Free Company (FC) although after I joined one my enjoyment certainly went up.  So the choice is yours I hope this helped.  Although I must say if WoW and its quest hubs did not keep you excited, I don't see how FF and its hubs will, that's just my opinion though.