Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim story overrated // Fallout 4 writers

klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

TBH one of the worst and just cringe worthy stories ever but still good game. second play through i literally ran around doing skyrim shit (mods).. because story isnt that good.  

proof is Bethesda's fallout vs Obsidian's fallout. the latter was superior in the story section, the first was better looking (only a tad tbh)

Bethesda knows great gameplay.. but they should hire the writers from bioware (or Obsidian) and do Fallout 4 proper. press 1 if u agree.

*EDIT changed title so people dont get confused on Main Quests / Overall story & writing* 

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

While new vegas might have had a more engaging story It felt bad as a do whatever you want game commonly known from the franchise.

Many dispise Fallout 3 I found it fun apart of some bugs. It took me weeks to explore the map I didn't bother doing the story there was so much to do with many interesting side stories unlike new vegas which I tried hard but felt a bad taste in my mouth everytime I saw a building far away to try and reach it and get hit by an invisible wall.....

While having an engaging story would be nice (I didn't find fallout 3 story to be bad apart of giving you the suit so early which is too strong) bethsedia games are known for the journey and "quests/adventures" you the player create.

And there will always be modders that create stories it's not like we don't get to play amazing storylines.

• TorgamaticTorgamatic Member UncommonPosts: 29

Personally never got much past fallout 2, but am enjoying the similar MMO  Fallen Earth. Some limitations on crafting, only 1 character to play, with free account, but 1 cash purchase opens it up a bit with there freeium perk. (guess that's the point,lol). Overall same feel and growth, looks a bit dated compared to the newer graphic engines out, but still fun to play.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by klash2def

TBH one of the worst and just cringe worthy stories ever but still good game. second play through i literally ran around doing skyrim shit (mods).. because story isnt that good.  

proof is Bethesda's fallout vs Obsidian's fallout. the latter was superior in the story section, the first was better looking (only a tad tbh)

Bethesda knows great gameplay.. but they should hire the writers from bioware (or Obsidian) and do Fallout 4 proper. press 1 if u agree.

Really Bioware?? Have you played the piece of crap stories Bioware did in ME3 and DA2, sorry but just no EAoware can't pull off a decent story to save their lives these days. Obsidian might be alittle better these days but they still managed to Kill the Neverwinter 2 story where they thought it would be cool simply to have you and your party buried under a ton of rock and killed in the end no matter what you did (short of being evil) never to be seen in the realms again. The crappy sketch ending with poor voice over in that one was just the slap in the face. Obsidians Kotor 2 ending was just about as bad. (theres a reason theres no Kotor 3 or NW3 as Obsidians basically killed off the IP in their attempts.) SO in comparison to  the examples I've given from both those companies Skyrim by Bethesda is golden 

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Can you link to where you saw people gushing over the Skyrin main story? I'm trying to figure out why you feel the least talked about aspect of Skyrim is overrated. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

I disagree. The story was in general weak in Skyrim, the mainquest and daedric quests were the ones that were actually pretty good. But the gameplay mechanics are awful. The game is an ocean the depth of a puddle.

The ones who require mods (I'm not referring to you.) to make the game enjoyable are the people who cannot appreciate the amount of lore, beauty and work that's been put into the TES series. And I don't blame them. Not everyone can love, or even enjoy, the same things as I.

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

You are right, story of skyrim was bad, but that game was not about story.

Skyrim is more about sandbox, and you can't make a sandbox game with great story.

Well lets see what koshima brings with new MGS, when someone can do it, then this guy.

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by mari3k

Skyrim is more about sandbox, and you can't make a sandbox game with great story.

Well lets see what koshima brings with new MGS, when someone can do it, then this guy.

That's probably the most ignorant statement about the Elder Scrolls that I've ever heard.

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Originally posted by winter

Really Bioware?? Have you played the piece of crap stories Bioware did in ME3 and DA2, sorry but just no EAoware can't pull off a decent story to save their lives these days. Obsidian might be alittle better these days but they still managed to Kill the Neverwinter 2 story where they thought it would be cool simply to have you and your party buried under a ton of rock and killed in the end no matter what you did (short of being evil) never to be seen in the realms again. The crappy sketch ending with poor voice over in that one was just the slap in the face. Obsidians Kotor 2 ending was just about as bad. (theres a reason theres no Kotor 3 or NW3 as Obsidians basically killed off the IP in their attempts.) SO in comparison to  the examples I've given from both those companies Skyrim by Bethesda is golden 

YES Bioware.. are you saying that the few misses erase the classic writings they have done in other games? more recently SWTOR.. game may be shit but the writing is almost better than all the films. And Obsidian did an amazing job with the story of FONV.. far better than FO3 and TBH there wasnt a better game story wise that year.  Please point me to a supremely better group of writers in the genre, i will wait. 

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    The days of Bioware doing outstanding work is long gone. They are just a name now, one that has been chewed up by EA.

Bethesda + Bioware or Obsidian Writers = success.. IP wont matter.. i was just pointing out FO4 needs writers other than the people from Bethesda's Skyrim team if they are going to do the game.. Skyrim's story isnt that great. 

(which by now we are all pretty sure its Bethesda who is doing FO4 being they brought the fallout license) 

Originally posted by Kabaal
    The days of Bioware doing outstanding work is long gone. They are just a name now, one that has been chewed up by EA.

explain what EA has to do with Bioware's writers being good or not.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Bioware is a brand used by Electronic Arts. They bought the dev studio called Bioware in 2007, but have continued to use the brand.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Can you link to where you saw people gushing over the Skyrin main story? I'm trying to figure out why you feel the least talked about aspect of Skyrim is overrated. 

Funny, when I read this my first thought was...I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about the main story in skyrim. Even my friends who love the crap out of the game have never brought it up once.

Originally posted by Vrika

Bioware is a brand used by Electronic Arts. They bought the dev studio called Bioware in 2007, but have continued to use the brand.

Im aware of ownership.

Im not aware that ownership has anything to do with the talent being there or not there. Im not sure if you played DA series, ME series, or SWTOR (bar hiccups like ME3 Ending) but all that *Bioware* writing was AAA blockbuster movie quality. EA owned the company when they did these titles.. again.. what does ownership have to do with the writers being good or not good.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I didn't like Skyrim's main storyline either, but that's why I only played through it once.  The thing that made Skyrim so great was that you could completely ignore anything you didn't want to do.  Well, at least after the first part you can skip anything.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I dont see how that automatically makes drew karpyshyn a bad writer.  If he was writing a story under bethesda, he probably would have more freedom.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by mari3k

Its Kojima, not koshima

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

I dont see how that automatically makes drew karpyshyn a bad writer.  If he was writing a story under bethesda, he probably would have more freedom.

I just tried to post: All Bioware's personnel could be considered employees of EA.

Klash2def's question was "what EA has to do with Bioware's writers being good or not?". I tried to answer, it has to do because EA hires and fires those writers and gives them their orders.

I don't want to start arguing whether Bioware's current writers are good or not. But whether they are good or not, it has very much to do with EA.

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

I just tried to post: All Bioware's personnel could be considered employees of EA. I don't want to argue whether they have good or bad writers.

Klash2def's question was "what EA has to do with Bioware's writers being good or not?". I tried to answer, it has to do because EA hires and fires those writers and gives them their orders.

. EA and Bioware are not one company as many would believe.. Bioware is a division of EA but its not EA. and EA is not bioware. also EA has nothing to do with the writers that Bioware selects or have been working with. 

Im aware of ownership.

Im not aware that ownership has anything to do with the talent being there or not there. Im not sure if you played DA series, ME series, or SWTOR (bar hiccups like ME3 Ending) but all that *Bioware* writing was AAA blockbuster movie quality. EA owned the company when they did these titles.. again.. what does ownership have to do with the writers being good or not good.

again what does EA have to do with the writers being good or not. They already penned a few classics in the EA era.. Im just pointing out to you that EA has nothing to do with the bioware writers ability

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

*EDIT changed title so people dont get confused on Main Quests / Overall story & writing* 

it's weird.  I've never heard someone say "skyrim is a great game.  the story is so amazing."  I don't understand how the story can be overrated when I don't think most people play for the story.

hey at the end of the day this is all subjective, i am not a game developer, I do know what moves me and its story.. so i'm only pointing out.. Skyrim had subpar writing..imo

imagine how much better that game would be if it had writing that was as good as the dragon element.. there are mods out there with superior writing..modders who did better than Bethesda's writing..that says a lot right there.  There are little mods for bioware games that can beat them at the writing element. 

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315

Most of the Bioware writers are long gone from a long time ago.  Oh, and they never wrote AAA blockbuster movie quality material.  They had some good stuff, maybe great for video games but hardly anything that you would consider academy award winning.  They mostly gave you the choice to save the orphanage or bar the doors and set it on fire.

The Skyrim story is garbage.  The game itself is fun just for all the stuff you can do in it. 

Originally posted by muffins89

it's weird.  I've never heard someone say "skyrim is a great game.  the story is so amazing."  I don't understand how the story can be overrated when I don't think most people play for the story.

I never said people play Skyrim for the story.. smh and This has nothing to do with the fact that skyrim's story is subpar. stop trying to take away from post. The point is the story is subpar, there are plenty of people who were raving about the story in 2011.. and still are now. google is your friend.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by muffins89 Originally posted by klash2def TBH one of the worst and just cringe worthy stories ever but still good game. second play through i literally ran around doing skyrim shit (mods).. because story isnt that good.   proof is Bethesda's fallout vs Obsidian's fallout. the latter was superior in the story section, the first was better looking (only a tad tbh) Bethesda knows great gameplay.. but they should hire the writers from bioware (or Obsidian) and do Fallout 4 proper. press 1 if u agree.   *EDIT changed title so people dont get confused on Main Quests / Overall story & writing* 
    I never said people play Skyrim for the story.. smh and This has nothing to do with the fact that skyrim's story is subpar. stop trying to take away from post. The point is the story is subpar, there are plenty of people who were raving about the story in 2011.. and still are now. google is your friend.

I think it's a valid observation. Could Skyrim's story have been improved upon? Certainly. Would that change make a difference to enough people that it would matter? Or, more importantly, would improving the story content be worth the additional time and expense of improving it? Probably not.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

This discussion has been closed.