Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tried it again but... no. Just no

Comments

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Xthos

I may have to boot this back up, to see what all has been added, since I kind of burned through content, but I left before all the added content patches.  I loved the stories and feel of the game, and I am not a big zombie, or this genre type person, and I usually hit spacebar playing stuff like this.

I thought the combat was fine, and again, I am not the biggest fan of telegraphing and action combat, but I liked what TSW had to deliver, could of had a little bit more diversity in the builds, but it was nice that you had to adjust your build, depending on where you were and what you were fighting.

TSW is probably my favorite modern mmo at this time, I liked the game, just it suffered from the themepark problem of content ending.  I know a lot has been added though, so it may be time to load it back up and play all the new stuff.

"Last Train to Cairo" is a lot a fun, though that last mission is long and tough. The earlier missions involve some time traveling, and you get to meet Said (of the Kingdom) while he was alive. (No idea what he was saying, but clearly his personality has not changed...) You can get a Whip auxiliary weapon, and full Indiana Jones outfit.

• BeaumanBeauman Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Wesp

The ability wheel, the auxilary weapon system and now the augment system create a complexity that nearly matches a TCG. This design appeals to people who enjoy researching, testing, tweaking, and optimizing builds. Adding glyphs and signets to the mix and its insane the amount of possibilities. I can see how this would turn a lot of people off because they don't have the patience or time for it. There are plenty of games that have very simplistic class design and cookie cutter builds for those people. 

That's my problem with that game, right there. It isn't that I don't like that type of character build system (that isn't the case at all), but that I simply do not have the real-life time to go through all that to character build within an MMO.

It's that design that has made TSW, although I think it is a good game, inaccessible to me on my schedule.

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482

ok..

..is it a gem..by no means no..its a good game yes for what it is..a casual mmo title thats b2p with no sub and fun to play here / there and the lore and quest are fun and gets me involed..most ppl in mmo's now days just  grab n go rinse repeat but in this game the quests are really well put together

i think its time for me to find a new community to keep tabs on mmorpg reviews and news..yes iv done my fair share of talking bad about some games but it seems EVERYGAME that has a topic it is tore down quicker than fatties at a buffet table full of waffles

what was OP thinking? a total over haul of the game to fix his / her needs while he was on a break? or maybe a phone call from the devs to say "hey come back..we fixed it for YOU"  if people are trying to find a trinity type game or fix out of a $10 mmo **thats what i paid** with no sub fee your gonna be sadly disapointed..id like to know what the OP is playing now? my money is the flavor of the month..

• macwoodmacwood Member UncommonPosts: 134
    I got a copy for £1.70... But i did not have a friend to play it with me.. I will try and get round to it one day, There is just so many games out and coming i haz to try...
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by pajulaakso
    There is really only one thing keeping me out of this game. The broken Gear Manager.Last time I logged in, it was still crap.Has this been fixed?

Sir, With great pleasure i can safely say it is fixed. (I cannot express the amount of rage i had when it was broken..)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by JJ82
    Don't feel bad, I stopped playing because I just couldn't get past the horrible animations. Cant figure it out, this is the same company that made Age of Conan that had such beautiful animations and they somehow made this?

Nail, you hit it.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire

They have worked on the game.  For some reason, you're under the impression that because you don't like the game, it must be bad.  You are incorrect.

It's not the game, it's you.

It is not him, it is you.

It takes one to know one.

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317

I couldn't stick with the game for long and my principal reasons were: -

• fugly characters and animations (it matters to me to have some connection with my toon and part of that involves the physical appearance). 
    • the horribly clunky combat.  
    The first was an annoyance but the second was a game killer for me.  
  • avelarthavelarth Member UncommonPosts: 17
    sometimes i login the game and still client performance is terrible. they should fix client performance first, it looks like a alpha beta game.
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    The combat is so extremely dull and boring and repetitive... And its the main focus of the game, you fight constantly. If the combat was at least a little bit better or I wasn't forced to fight all the time I would of love this game... sigh
  • eviceuseviceus Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by mazut
    The combat is so extremely dull and boring and repetitive... And its the main focus of the game, you fight constantly. If the combat was at least a little bit better or I wasn't forced to fight all the time I would of love this game... sigh

Basicaly all MMO focus mainly on combat, i think you might be looking for an adventure game where you can solve riddles etc.

That being said, TSW has some of the best puzzle-like quests around, and some of them even dont include any combat at all (if you discount the need to kill some mobs in order to get into particular location).

If you have trouble with the combat, check at http://www.tswdb.com/builds/solo/

There are some solid builds for solo play. Some even aimed for begginers who generaly dont have access to many abilities.

The combat variety in this game is actualy pretty good, but not right from the start.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by mazut

When you're fighting stuff, what's your "rotation", or your routine? What type of build are you using, what synergies,etc? What weapons?

I know when I've played, I see a lot of people who are literally spamming the same builder over and over, using a finisher... then repeating that process. Some aren't even using a finisher. They're just spamming the same builder over and over. Basically, they're  playing it like they'd play WoW or most other MMOs... "spamming the '1' key". Then they're wondering why the combat seems so dull and repetitive.

I'm not saying this is what you're doing, mazut... because I don't know. I'm just pointing out that, for all the complaining I see about the combat, there's an awful lot of people I see in-game who clearly aren't even attempting to learn the system, or put it to use. 

TSW's combat is actually very diverse, very versatile, and provides a number of different possible playstyles. You can go with well-established ones, or do some experimentation of your own and see how it goes. TSW's combat system is the most rewarding when you're choosing weapons, actives and passives that build off and work with each other. A well-tuned and planned setup is actually a ball to play, and you can find yourself mowing down otherwise difficult enemies with relative ease. Seeing a setup you've figured out yourself, or perhaps another that you've tweaked more to your personal style work out really well is very rewarding. But a player will never experience that if they're spamming 1, 1, 1, 1, 2... 1, 1, 1, 1, 2...

It's also a matter of learning, understanding, then exploiting the weaknesses of different enemies. Diff. enemies are weak against different things. Knowing what those things are makes all the difference between taking them down with relative ease, dying to them over and over again, or having an extremely difficult time dealing with them.

The system is as deep, or shallow, as you make it. It's not a typical, super-streamlined, themepark style affair where you have a sword, and a bunch of skills you learn in a specific order... and then that's it. You have much, much, much more control over exactly how you play.

As for the animations being clunky, or whatever.. I dunno.. they never bothered me. I don't play TSW to watch the combat animations.

• englaengla Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Originally posted by Vutar
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire

They have worked on the game.  For some reason, you're under the impression that because you don't like the game, it must be bad.  You are incorrect.

It's not the game, it's you.

No, it is the game. As people told them repeatedly during beta and since, the combat is bad.

...in your opinion.  There's a whole boatload of people playing this game right now that like the combat and have no issue with it.

It's called learning to play.

Face it: you never figured out the deck/synergy/combo system.

I am giving this game a third  chance too, right now, and it is still the same mess as it was a year ago. And all the time I get the same answer: what is your build, do you get synergies, blah blah blah.

It does not matter what is my build, it does not matter what is my deck, it does not matter if I make excel-spread sheet about abilities and study them 24/7. The combat does not change. It is still the sam 111111123, 111111123, occasionally 4,5 or even 7.  Movement is still horrible, and game is very bad for ergonomy. Having to drag your camera with right-mouse is disaster that leads to problems with your right hand, and let me tell you, I have gone through that already and never again. And then I'm told I have to learn to move! Hello! I come from action-games and I damn well can move while I fight, but in this game it is impossible to move because controls are so freaking bad and retarded. That is why peole complain that this game is clunky.

I just noticed that I never even look at mobs when I fight because what I look is my frieking meter that shows when I have pushed button 1 enough times and can fire my consumer in button 2. If that is innovative and exiting game-play then I must be Gueen of England and 80 years old. It does not matter what is my build and deck because the combat noes not change from that, you still do the same. You spam builder and fire consumer. The whole - freaking - game is this.

I wanted to like this game, I have forgiven horrible character creation, frustrating forced solo-missions where you die all over again and can't repair your frieking broken equipment, so many bad design choises, just because I wanted to like this game. For the story and idea behind it. But actually I don't know what the story even is because this game is a deck-building-simulator and not a game. I am too frustrated and annoyed all the time to even care about the story anymore. I'm out, for good now.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Stop necroing stuff. 
  • eindinblocheindinbloch Member Posts: 60
    I hate to say it, because the genre and atmosphere of the game is fantastic, best around, but I have to agree with the OP.

The skills are just not fun for me.  I think the thing that kills it for me is that, while they have a ton of different synergies around different skills, they are based strictly around specific weapon types.

You want to have lifestealing?  You HAVE to use the assault rifle (I believe that's what it was).  You can't use hammers or claws or anything else, you have to use an assault rifle.

It would be very simple for them to just allow you to use any weapon and then base synergies around skills specifically.

I really really don't want to be forced to use a weapon to get the ability I want.

It's really too bad... I really wanted to like this game because of the lore and game environment...
  • Another_FanAnother_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Elikal

Too bad. I really had hoped this would be worked on after launch.

You know they did more harm than good with what they did to it after launch. As far as I can see what they did is shoved out the content they had in the pipeline as fast as they could right up to Tyler Freeborn, to establish credibility, user investment and critical mass then they just strung everyone along with all the other updates.

The new work they did overall lowered the enjoyability of the game. They Nerfed entire slices of the skill wheel destroying play styles, and changed difficult nightmare instances to little more than slot machines where you had to hope bugs didn't trigger after you spent 2-3 hours getting through.

Then they put in the Scenario/Augment system which may well be one of the worst endgame systems ever actually allowed to be implemented in an MMO.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Every few months I reinstall this game and attempt to play it again, and every single time I make it about four hours before deleting it in frustration. It's such a damn cool setting, with interesting and well-written quests and lore, yet the mechanics are just absolutely dreadful. Combat is boring and uninspired with very little 'oomph' to it, most skills are useless, progression is painfully slow, no dungeon finder or LFG mechanics in place, crafting is simply laughable, mob density is insane... it's just a badly designed game.

And yet the story and lore are so well done... sigh.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    the secred world could have been one of the best mmos but they did not think combat animations mattered and it bit them from behind,developers must learn a game must look and play good,and feel good.
  • StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by TheQuietGamer

• fugly characters and animations (it matters to me to have some connection with my toon and part of that involves the physical appearance). 

Indeed.

Combat & animations are horribly flawed.

But everyone should tolerate it as long they can, to try to see all the other cool and unique stuff that the game does.

• NemeisMercNemeisMerc Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko

Indeed.

But everyone should tolerate it as long they can, to try to see all the other cool and unique stuff that the game does.

I don't know about this. TSW has so many dealbreakers strewn throughout the game. Once you get past Kingsmouth, their starter zone that's designed to make people feel good about the game you just hit problem after problem.  For a game with such small zones, they seem to go to great lengths to make travel difficult, which you will find quickly in the savage coast and blue mountain. 

Blue Mountain is in itself a deal breaker for many people. If you haven't been working your build with this zone in mind (A bit of a pain for people that enjoy story)  you wind up being chopped to ribbons and repeating content back in the earlier zones just to set yourself up properly. 

Same goes for Egypt. Here they pulled out the can't take two steps without drawing a ridiculous amount of aggro trick. Bottom line, this is cheap, poorly done and very annoying to most people. I can see why devs like doing it, it slows down your progress immensely but it's like putting a tarp on a house and calling it a roof. Just no substitute for fun gameplay.

Note you can bypass egypt, but doing so means completely screwing up the story line which is your big draw

Transylvania is reasonably designed, but by the time you get here you are either working on signets or nightmare gear. Signets are horrendously grindy we are talking Korean die at the computer grindy. The other route are scenarios and augments which are Funcom's way of trying to monetize making your progress impossible. Either of these are bang a drawer on your hand because it feels so good to stop forms of entertainment.

I know people like to talk about the fun of theorycrafting and such but the grind needed to make new builds is insanely out of line with the fun/ unless you are willing to drop bundles of cash on Funcom for the ability to redo your gear.

Originally posted by NemeisMerc
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko

Indeed.

I don't know about this. TSW has so many dealbreakers strewn throughout the game. Once you get past Kingsmouth, their starter zone that's designed to make people feel good about the game you just hit problem after problem.  For a game with such small zones, they seem to go to great lengths to make travel difficult, which you will find quickly in the savage coast and blue mountain. 

Blue Mountain is in itself a deal breaker for many people. If you haven't been working your build with this zone in mind (A bit of a pain for people that enjoy story)  you wind up being chopped to ribbons and repeating content back in the earlier zones just to set yourself up properly. 

Same goes for Egypt. Here they pulled out the can't take two steps without drawing a ridiculous amount of aggro trick. Bottom line, this is cheap, poorly done and very annoying to most people. I can see why devs like doing it, it slows down your progress immensely but it's like putting a tarp on a house and calling it a roof. Just no substitute for fun gameplay.

Note you can bypass egypt, but doing so means completely screwing up the story line which is your big draw

Transylvania is reasonably designed, but by the time you get here you are either working on signets or nightmare gear. Signets are horrendously grindy we are talking Korean die at the computer grindy. The other route are scenarios and augments which are Funcom's way of trying to monetize making your progress impossible. Either of these are bang a drawer on your hand because it feels so good to stop forms of entertainment.

I know people like to talk about the fun of theorycrafting and such but the grind needed to make new builds is insanely out of line with the fun/ unless you are willing to drop bundles of cash on Funcom for the ability to redo your gear.

I just saw a bit on the official forums saying that they plan to keep Egypt and the No Mounts policy out of "Respect for Ragnar". Egypt was his baby ?  I'd love to know what purpose they think this is serving, either way they really really really need better travel. I used to use a mod that let me travel by suicide but it was incompatible with more important mods and really travel by killing yourself ? It just doesn't parse.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by Another_Fan

I just saw a bit on the official forums saying that they plan to keep Egypt and the No Mounts policy out of "Respect for Ragnar". Egypt was his baby ?  I'd love to know what purpose they think this is serving, either way they really really really need better travel.

Oh brother. They bitch that the zones are too small, and then they bitch that there are no mounts to get them across the (too small) zones even faster?

Originally posted by CasualMaker
    Originally posted by Another_Fan

I just saw a bit on the official forums saying that they plan to keep Egypt and the No Mounts policy out of "Respect for Ragnar". Egypt was his baby ?  I'd love to know what purpose they think this is serving, either way they really really really need better travel.

Oh brother. They bitch that the zones are too small, and then they bitch that there are no mounts to get them across the (too small) zones even faster?

Don't know about you but I am not a "they". Maybe you are a they

Anywho, moving your past your attempt to make your case by insulting people, it's pretty easy to see how both are needed. Start with the games tedious content, take a small zone put more mobs in than you can avoid, and movement becomes tedious and annoying.

Hope that clears things up for you.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

The Secret World has such a wonderful setting, but it has the problem all funcom mmos have: the term "entertainment experience". Outside of expanding your character, one has little vested interest in logging in; there is little player interaction, no player housing and very little collection systems to speak of.

If one could couple 75% Secret World with the 25% Sanbox of Archeage, what an mmo you'd have.

• oldschoolpunkoldschoolpunk Member Posts: 281

Don't know about you but I am not a "they". Maybe you are a they

Anywho, moving your past your attempt to make your case by insulting people, it's pretty easy to see how both are needed. Start with the games tedious content, take a small zone put more mobs in than you can avoid, and movement becomes tedious and annoying.

Hope that clears things up for you.

agreed, dont know why you wanna call zones small but plead for travel...I'd love to have travel to be able to traverse what are pretty sizable areas in my opinion.

Many keep bringing up Mob density...I just dont get it...I can go from one side of any of the areas to another and zig zag my way there and avoid mobs the entire time.  Im confused with this assessment that mob density is similar to Knight Online's mob density