Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how is the DayZ early access?

SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

Hi just basically for someone to sell this to me. I mean I already play the mod, so why should I buy this atm? How is the crafting? Is it a pain in the ass to locate stuff? Do loot piles and tent mechanics work the same? Is looting refreshed after a time period when a given area is vacant and a player moves in to the area like in Dayzmod?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I played the Dayz mod when it first came out so finding melee weapons instead of firearms really bothers me. Also, spawning out in the middle of BFE where it takes 20 min or more to get to a place with a few buildings gets old too. I like how they reduced the amount of zombies though.
  • uberwolfeuberwolfe Member UncommonPosts: 9

It's brilliant.

Many of the old bugs still exist and there are only a fraction of the features implemented, but still it is already a massive step up from vanilla DayZ.

It very much feels like it's own beast now, not some cobbled together mod. The inventory works brilliantly and organising/equipping your loot is no longer a chore.

The choices of clothing and the depth of weapon modification is already quite deep, and we're only scratching the surface here. 

Sadly, the KOS mentality still exists in a huge way, and most of the current players are vanilla veterans so noob players don't stand much of a chance.

But if you play the mod, there is no reason to any more. I have uninstalled it and now run the standalone solely. Currently I've already put in around 18 hours (man time flies in this game).

Tents have yet to be implemented and the loot only cycles after server reset every 4 hours - so yeah, in the starter zones (camper's coast) don't expect to find much.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Sawlstone

Hi just basically for someone to sell this to me. I mean I already play the mod, so why should I buy this atm?

How is the crafting? Its not really crafting. More like combining items. So grab can opener, drop onto can, select open can or swap. Or drop scope onto gun, select attach, you now have a scoped weapon.

Is it a pain in the ass to locate stuff? It can be, see next two answers.

Do loot piles and tent mechanics work the same? No tents so far that Ive found. Loot piles have changed. See next answer.

Is looting refreshed after a time period when a given area is vacant and a player moves in to the area like in Dayzmod? No. So far that Ive experienced and read on the official forums loot piles dont respawn except at server restart. Thats a serious pain in the ass. But they are going to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

I'll finish by saying this is in VERY EARLY ALPHA, its actually a big step back from what youre used to in the mod. So if youre frustrated easily, I'd wait about a month or so before you pick it up.

But they are fixing, tweeking, adding, eliminating, balancing, almost daily.

And the new interface is awesome, and Chernus map has changed quit a bit, but still stayed the same at the same time.

I think Im 30 hours played so far. Oh and expect character wipes.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Gameplay-wise, it's a lot better than what the mod ever was, because of the clunky movement and inventory management.

Beyond that, it's still very much a work in progress, but our posse has had a lot of fun with it already.

Lots more features needs to be implemented.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • DeadlobsterDeadlobster Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I'm downloading it right now. Hope it's good. Im starving for something decent to play.
  • KamofilaKamofila Member UncommonPosts: 116

If your on the fence and have 30 bucks to spend i would just get it now cause even rocket says as the game gets closer to being complete the price will go up.  And i am personally looking forward to watching this game expand as i play. Compared to the mod when  the standalone is complete will be leaps and bounds better. There are even too many new features to list that have already been implemented given some old features (i.e. vehicles, Quick logging, loot respawning, ect...) are not implemented yet. Some cool new things that are in the game........

1. No longer just a costume and a backpack.

each piece of clothing is equipped separately (shoes, gloves, helmets/hats, masks, sunglasses pants shirts/jackets, backpack and gunsling/tactical vests) each with there own benefits like storage space or lights for headlamps and gaskmasks and im not sure all items benefits are implements yet.

2.  guns have attachments

right now the gun selection is slim but the guns that do exists have multiple mods than can be put on your guns like scopes, silencers, bipods, flashlights, grips/underrails and shoulder butts.

3.   The map is familiar but more awesome

The map has WAY more buildings to go in to and also more buildings and little settlements throughout the map than ever existed in the mod.

4. Blood transfusions make sense!

You no longer just find a blood bag and have someone give you blood.  You must first test the friend/victims blood to make sure it is a match or risk getting sick and dyeing.

5. EMOTES!

can emote sitting down, telling someone to stop, that you are friendly or even that you surrender by putting your hands behind your head as you crouch using the various F keys.  In that last emote if someone has handcuffs they could cuff you.

There are more new things that are also already implemented and i am enjoying the ride thus far even with the bugs and and lack of content in its current alpha state.

The one thing that is hard to get used to is having to use spacebar to bring up your weapon of put it down at your side to run faster. Some of the animations have weird delays but i think its being worked on.  Mind you that you can just click the mouse to bring your gun up but remember to put it back down before you start running to avoid the short interruption in your run can be tedious.

Do you like lollipops? Suck it. Don't bite you greedy twit.

• uberwolfeuberwolfe Member UncommonPosts: 9

I think it's worth mentioning that the details of the items are incredible. There's a Skyrim-style inspect mode where you can examine closely every object you pick up. From something as detailed as a fully-customised assault rifle to a can of beans, everything is textured absolutely magnificently.

Items are not just some low-poly model or 'icon' in your inventory.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am definitely interested in DayZ, always have been. I think its smart for me to hold off on getting it. I don't want to convolute my opinion of this game being hasty. I think this product is gonna pan out and from what I read from your posts its make some good changes.
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719

No vehicles, no base building, no additional currencies, no npc shops, no npc missions, no lingor/panthera/taviana map support, no safes, no vehicle locking, no gates.

Thank you but no thank you, I will be playing Dayz Epoch/Lingor/Panthera, Dayz Origins Taviana, and Dayz Overwatch for fast fights.

Standalone is missing 95% of what i like and want from Dayz, so i'm just gonna wait until atleast something of previously mentioned  is implented.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by uberwolfe
    It's brilliant.Many of the old bugs still exist and there are only a fraction of the features implemented, but still it is already a massive step up from vanilla DayZ.It very much feels like it's own beast now, not some cobbled together mod. The inventory works brilliantly and organising/equipping your loot is no longer a chore.The choices of clothing and the depth of weapon modification is already quite deep, and we're only scratching the surface here. Sadly, the KOS mentality still exists in a huge way, and most of the current players are vanilla veterans so noob players don't stand much of a chance.But if you play the mod, there is no reason to any more. I have uninstalled it and now run the standalone solely. Currently I've already put in around 18 hours (man time flies in this game).Tents have yet to be implemented and the loot only cycles after server reset every 4 hours - so yeah, in the starter zones (camper's coast) don't expect to find much. 

DayZ is FREE FOR ALL FULL LOOT PERMADEATH(sorry for those caps but seems most of you don't understand this kind of games and how they should be played) multiplayer game.

Its not running around with PEACE SIGNS flowers in your hair as hippie and shouting MAKE LOVE NOT WAR:P

Ive played the mod for more then a year and only on servers with no restrictions and never EVER played with KOS in mind always with friendly attitude with this i manage to survive.

But i play these games becouse i don't care of risk losing all i know when i enter such game worlds and i just adept playing smart instead of whine about the death match mentality most have.

DayZ is hardcore if you can't handle this, i suggest go play some safe zone no risk games.

This is not mend to be personal, its just how i see this kind of games and how they should be played hope you can understand that?

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    The poster you're attacking has already played the mod he even said he uninstalled the mod to play stand alone by itself now. Where do you get he doesnt understand its a FFA pvp loot permadeath game? Chill out
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    The poster you're attacking has already played the mod he even said he uninstalled the mod to play stand alone by itself now. Where do you get he doesnt understand its a FFA pvp loot permadeath game? Chill out

Haha, ya dude above you needs to chill out.

I have bought the SA, and am loving it! Sure I've been killed and its okay with server wipes and updates there is no love affair with my gear. I am having a great time trying to escape the coast and gather what I need to head for the hills. The bandits and Killjoys are actually providing some much needed content for a person like me. I'm sure they don't mean to but they are actually making me alot better at the game....so yeah thanks for the training camp so to speak!

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

DayZ has been a blast for myself.  When seeing another player, I get that same feeling when I used to see a PK back in Ultima Online.  You don't know if you can trust them or not and it really helps bond that friendship.  I've lost a guy already and I was upset, but it was a learning experience.

Highly recommend this game and it really is polished for a Alpha game.  I've played Beta's that were not as far along as DayZ is.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• xenoracexenorace Member UncommonPosts: 205

Completely worth the $30 I spent. It has taken some time (and video watching) to get the graphics to a good "sweet spot" where I can get decent FPS and overall graphics.  The game feels like an alpha build to me, not going to lie, but I 100% understand an early access game and still have no problem giving money to a project I feel can make a long lasting effect in the gaming community.

I love the inv system, the moding of weapons is fun, and I enjoy trying to rub things together in ways I think are logical to get a new effect! Go figure you need to purify water that you get from a pond?

I already have a few interesting stories of my own playing solo, and I LOVE watching other youtubes on their adventures. DayZ is what you make it, which is great because it keeps away those with zero imagination away.

S.C.I.F.I
    <Sights, Clouded, In, False, Illusions>

Originally posted by MacroPlanet

DayZ has been a blast for myself.  When seeing another player, I get that same feeling when I used to see a PK back in Ultima Online.  You don't know if you can trust them or not and it really helps bond that friendship.  I've lost a guy already and I was upset, but it was a learning experience.

Highly recommend this game and it really is polished for a Alpha game.  I've played Beta's that were not as far along as DayZ is.

I have the same mentality. Here is a little short of what I came across and nearly shit my pants. Loved it lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixSQjRQFtIA

Night time can be scary when you are alone.

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

This game has the potential to be the end all to games. There is literally limitless potential to this game. It has the feel and the fear of a full loot MMO. If we can get some in depth crafting/housing and an economy system into this game I can guarantee you I won't be playing another game for 10 years.

The feeling of fear and nervousness I get when encountering another player is beyond any game I have ever played. Being in a town and hearing gunshots nearby literally makes me jump in my chair.

Haven't enjoyed a game this much in a while and this sucker is in Alpha and getting lots of monetary support. I really hope these developers can pull this off.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Don't worry. Before this game will be even remotely close to be able to be called "ready" (as in version 1.0), the dev team has long since started working on the next game based on ArmA 3 engine and selling it as early access with 10% of the features available.

This is the essence and the big pitfall of Early Access. When you sell a million copies of an unfinished, rough version, why would you spend much more resources to finish it?

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    DayZ feels like a really crappy alpha. The controls are terrible just like they were in Arma. It doesn't feel smooth at all. Yes I understand it is alpha, but it felt like the worst $30 I had ever spent. I'm not sure how small the development team is, but the original mod came out quite a while ago. I know they started over on the new engine, but damn does it feel clunky. I didn't see any building or crafting. Nothing is simplified. It's overly complex for basic things. 
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Don't worry. Before this game will be even remotely close to be able to be called "ready" (as in version 1.0), the dev team has long since started working on the next game based on ArmA 3 engine and selling it as early access with 10% of the features available.

This is the essence and the big pitfall of Early Access. When you sell a million copies of an unfinished, rough version, why would you spend much more resources to finish it?

1. You must really hate the game to say such things of a developer without any proof at all.

2. Why they would finish it? Well it has the potential to be an awesome game or a massive lawsuit because let me put it to you this way: They are selling access to a incomplete game with the promise of completing it, if they go back on this promise what happened to the War Z will pale in comparison and the lead developer would kiss his public image (pretty much his entire career path besides being a nameless programmer) goodbye.

Try and make more sense next time because the Blood God has little patience for fools.

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

brought this last night and have had a decent go of it now...probably about six hours.

unless you are really prepared for an Alpha game then stay away. Theres so many bugs at the moment that you really need to have a strong alpha head on you.

Controls are clumsy at best. Pretty much the worst thought out controls i have ever experienced. Though please bear in mind i have been playing MMO's for over 20 years now and have got so used to them that this may be why these seem so alien. Trying to be kind there.

I know they have mentioned that zombies stay dead once they are dead for the sake of stability while in Alpha. This shows as on a server of just three people i saw one zombie in three hours and i went to every built up area possible. I then left and tried a more populated server and didnt see any.

Most builings i went into had possibly two to three rooms when from the outside they looked multi story four bedroom houses. Bit dissapointing there. i didnt really find that much i could interact with to be honest.

Now i understand this is an Alpha game, but i really found my first six hours boring. nothing to do other than walk around empty buildings and search for water and food. Most items i found i couldnt interact with either.

The idea of the game hasnt lived up to what i thought it would be to be honest. its more of a scavenging game than a zombie apocalypse at the moment. Stay away if you are going to get frustrated with Aplha builds. this is slow and boring at the moment. If you want to help them turn this into a better game then by all means join and help.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Bandits wanted my clothes. Walked away naked but alive.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282

Been to eight towns now and explored every house. Upstairs always seems to be a dead area in that you cant even open the doors...it's just a hallway with door textures. in those eight towns i found a t shirt, three cans of food and a shovel. Cant open the cans at all and spent an hour searching for something to open it with. I am now starving.

Found a zombie and attacked it with my shovel, couldnt really tell if i was hitting it at all, but it ebentually fell.

The zombie made me bleed so i tried to sit and rip my shirt for bandages but when right clicking it wouldnt even give me the option. so it was a case of just sit there until i eventually died lol.

i have played many Betas before, even going back to Vanguard. And i a make sure i take that into consideration, but this is my first Alpha and i have to admit i wasnt ready for how early this is in production. There is really nothing to do! most content is to look at and cant be interacted with. there are hardly any zombies around, which i understand why, but surely they should just slow down respaws or something as there is just not anything to play other than run around looking for food.

Am i missing something here? i am playing the stand alone version from steam but the videos i see seem to have much more to do. if there are mods out there that are much more advanced... then why didnt they start with that engine and add to it?

i just cant understand why there is so little in this game.

Please bear in mind that this is my first Alpha stage game ever and i really wasnt expecting a game this early into development after watching the videos and hearing people talk about it.

• BrumeBrume Member UncommonPosts: 62
    As for myself if you want a great zombie experience Infestation ( aka WarZ) Is the best game outthere. The standalone of dayZ is a big step back from what it used to be. Dont get me wrong, the graphic are good, and the inventory mechanic have improved, but pretty much everything else is a step back and its even worst compare to the actual infestation. DayZ have the potential to be a really good zombie game, but we will need to wait at least 3-4 month before the game start to get good. Actually there is simply too much bugs, lack of implementation to be considered a good games. Its still an Alpha, and it need to be consider as one. 
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Telil

brought this last night and have had a decent go of it now...probably about six hours.

unless you are really prepared for an Alpha game then stay away. Theres so many bugs at the moment that you really need to have a strong alpha head on you.

Controls are clumsy at best. Pretty much the worst thought out controls i have ever experienced. Though please bear in mind i have been playing MMO's for over 20 years now and have got so used to them that this may be why these seem so alien. Trying to be kind there.

I know they have mentioned that zombies stay dead once they are dead for the sake of stability while in Alpha. This shows as on a server of just three people i saw one zombie in three hours and i went to every built up area possible. I then left and tried a more populated server and didnt see any.

Most builings i went into had possibly two to three rooms when from the outside they looked multi story four bedroom houses. Bit dissapointing there. i didnt really find that much i could interact with to be honest.

Now i understand this is an Alpha game, but i really found my first six hours boring. nothing to do other than walk around empty buildings and search for water and food. Most items i found i couldnt interact with either.

The idea of the game hasnt lived up to what i thought it would be to be honest. its more of a scavenging game than a zombie apocalypse at the moment. Stay away if you are going to get frustrated with Aplha builds. this is slow and boring at the moment. If you want to help them turn this into a better game then by all means join and help.

Interesting... I played about 6 hours earlier this morning too. 

I spent the first 30 minutes running for my life from zombies trying to find water, a backpack, and an axe.  I then spent the next hour looting my way through the middle of the map towards an airfield... Got all sorts of stuff like food, compass, ammo,  clothes, med supplies, weapon mods, Etc.

Then I got to the airfield and found a bunch of camo, a hunting backpack, a ballistics helm, and a magnum.  

I then ran into a guy with a mosin who took a pot shot at me.  I ducked in the a bush and flanked him by hiding in the trees and rolling through high grass and was able to kill him and loot him.

I then ran into another guy with a shotty, and was able to outmaneuver him and kill him.  Took his shotty and ammo and used a hacksaw to make a sawed off and stuck it in my backpack.

I then ran into a fresh spawn and traded him my axe and a full canteen for his can opener and wished him well.

I then met up with a friend in electro and we had a shoot out with 2 other guys who were sniping.  After looting them, I had to go to work

maybe we're playing different games, cause I had a god damn blast

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

The game has some serious issues, maybe they will sort it out but i don't think so. Movement is clunky and interaction with the world is very odd. 

The game is good though, will be better after some time.

Don't buy it right now, its not worth it. Wait for it to be at least in beta or close to release. I regret buying it so early. 

a youtube video that i agree with > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2xwEYo3aF4