Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ Next :: Need for food and light sources

13»

Comments

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Why do you all always blame the casuals?

As far as I remember it is always the selfproclaimed "hard core super skilled pros" who say:

This is all stupid fluffy stuff! The only thing that matters is endgame raiding! Give me epics! Give me epics! We do not care about anything else!

I personally (I am a casual) would prefer a game, with a much more realistic approach, which would mean:

-You cannot carry a huge load of weapons, armor, etc. all the time. However, you really have to plan what you carry, because you may need more food, or some special tools (like a rope)

-You need food, water and sleep. In certain areas this could add some fun. If you run out of food and water, what are you going to do?

-Items do not give stats. I have never come across a piece of armor that gives me more strength. Truth is, it makes you less mobile.

-Weapons and armor have static damage / armor numbers. If swords do 10-30 damage - all swords do 10-30 damage. No more 1000-3000 damage swords anymore!

-For bigger transportation you need a carriage, which makes it only more complicated (the horse need, food, water, sleep, too).

-Mounts do not appear out of nothing, they have to be stationed somewhere and to take care of.

-Higher levels do not give you such a high advantage over low levels anymore. In reality I could easily kill a veteran fighter with a simple knive from behind. In an MMO I would "miss" him, due to level difference and he would not even have to target me, to kill me (he would have some kind of passive AoE-Aura, that kills me instantly).

I just needed 3 minutes for this list - more reality in MMOs. And I know, that an MMO with this qualities would exaclty alienate the "hard core pro MMO raiders".  So please stop blaming the casuals all the time - it is stupid and pathetic!

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu

Why do you all always blame the casuals?

As far as I remember it is always the selfproclaimed "hard core super skilled pros" who say:

This is all stupid fluffy stuff! The only thing that matters is endgame raiding! Give me epics! Give me epics! We do not care about anything else!

I personally (I am a casual) would prefer a game, with a much more realistic approach, which would mean:

-You cannot carry a huge load of weapons, armor, etc. all the time. However, you really have to plan what you carry, because you may need more food, or some special tools (like a rope)

-You need food, water and sleep. In certain areas this could add some fun. If you run out of food and water, what are you going to do?

-Items do not give stats. I have never come across a piece of armor that gives me more strength. Truth is, it makes you less mobile.

-Weapons and armor have static damage / armor numbers. If swords do 10-30 damage - all swords do 10-30 damage. No more 1000-3000 damage swords anymore!

-For bigger transportation you need a carriage, which makes it only more complicated (the horse need, food, water, sleep, too).

-Mounts do not appear out of nothing, they have to be stationed somewhere and to take care of.

-Higher levels do not give you such a high advantage over low levels anymore. In reality I could easily kill a veteran fighter with a simple knive from behind. In an MMO I would "miss" him, due to level difference and he would not even have to target me, to kill me (he would have some kind of passive AoE-Aura, that kills me instantly).

I just needed 3 minutes for this list - more reality in MMOs. And I know, that an MMO with this qualities would exaclty alienate the "hard core pro MMO raiders".  So please stop blaming the casuals all the time - it is stupid and pathetic!

I would describe "hardcore" and "raiders" as two different groups.  What you list doesn't sound remotely casual, it sounds very hardcore, though I agree loot whores wouldn't like it.

The main ones I agree with are the weapon damage and levels.  Higher grade materials on a weapon could give better armor penetration, but once it's cutting into flesh, it shouldn't matter if it's copper, iron, steel, etc etc, it should only matter how sharp it is, and how fast and hard you swung it.  And we should go back to D&D levels of stats - 10 meaning you are average in a stat, 18 meaning you have reached the pinnacle of what is achievable by humans without the aid of magic, and 25 being the absolute maximum no matter how much magical enhancement you get.

And make armor a tradeoff, not an automatic "more = better."  The heavier the armor the more protection it should provide, but at the same time the more it should reduce your ability to dodge attacks and slow your movement speed.  If you want to take hits like a tank, you should have to move like one, and if you want to maximize speed and agility by being unarmored, you should go down in no more than 1-2 hits from pretty much anything.

I would love it if a game took a more realistic approach to combat (though I think realism in eating/sleeping/crapping is going a bit far).  They could do it in a way that didn't scare away casuals by having very light penalties for dying and limited downtime, which would be pretty much necessary to preserve fun with a realistic combat system, because in such a system it would be a lot easier to die.

Make the game about the experience.  Not about a never ending treadmill for "phatter lewtz."

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.