Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this signs that it's time to replace my lcd?

HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

I upgraded Civ V yesterday to Brave New World.  Upon doing that I noticed everything had this orange tent in game. Like the morning sun.  I thought at first it was a lighting effect they were going for.  Did the usual turned bloom off ect. Everything else looked fine out of game.  Didn't work and actually been having problems getting everything at least set back to where it was alright for everything else.

Gold has given me trouble on this screen for awhile now.  For instance these forums. Either to bright or if I dull that color down it dulls everything else way to much.  I've had it a few years. It's an Acer P191W.  Seems like no matter what I do, color corrections, brightness/contrast, vibrance, I correct one aspect but another is messed up. Guess I should get a 1080P screen anyway.

Just driving me nuts, either some colors pop way to much (Gold is extremely bad about this) or not enough. I don't have another screen to test with. Not 100% sure that it isn't my eyes either.   I have been to the eye doc within the past month, so.

I guess I am probably answering my own question.

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Unless there is a bent pin in one of the connectors, it sounds like it's time to replace your monitor. This has happened to a friend of mine at work, except with purple. Turning the monitor off and on usually fixes it for awhile. You could try unplugging and plugging in the video cable with the monitor off too.

Sounds like it's time to upgrade to a new 27" LED monitor though. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

Have you checked your monitor cable? Any problem with the cable could easily lead to the colors being screwed, and if it's a cable problem then there's no need to replace the whole monitor.

But considering that it's a cheap 19 inch screen, maybe this could be a good reason to upgrade to a bigger and better monitor.

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

Tried the cables.  I always thought it was my eyes, honestly.  Still not 100% sure it's not. I guess it was a stupid thread, sorry. It's just been annoying me and has been a slow process messing with it.  Letting my eyes rest and coming back after adjustments ect.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Hulluck
    Tried the cables.  I always thought it was my eyes, honestly.  Still not 100% sure it's not. I guess it was a stupid thread, sorry. It's just been annoying me and has been a slow process messing with it.  Letting my eyes rest and coming back after adjustments ect.

Seems like eyeballs or brain would be the least likely culprit for something like this. That would be easy to check though, just look at a monitor on another computer or at your television. You could also use your phone or something to look at the screen, and see if the orange color comes through the phone's lens.

Besides, maybe orange colored screen is something that always occurs in the cable instead of the monitor itself, and you would never have known had you not posted here.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Some monitors have a light correction factor to account for the kind of lighting in the room, sometimes called Target White Point. It's usually a weird number, like 6000k or 4500k, or maybe one of a few standard values (D50, D65). I've had monitors side by side, where one looks orange and the other blue, and this particular setting being the difference between the two. It's supposed to account for the difference that different lighting makes. Sometimes you can find a setting for it in the driver as well (Nvidia or AMD CCC)

Lower values will make the screen appear more yellowish-orange, whereas bigger numbers make the screen look more blue-tinted.

Worth a shot looking for something like that before plunking down money on a new monitor.

Gamma and contrast settings can lead to some weird color-pop issues -- red/orange being very noticeable for bleeding to me with incorrect settings, for instance.

Google around for Monitor Calibration --- they have some example images that can help you calibrate your monitor. There's also a built-in color correction to Windows that can let you set different color profiles, I'm not terribly familiar with it. There are a lot of settings on the monitor itself, a lot the video card driver can do, and a lot Windows can do natively.