Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possibly the biggest threat to WoW so far

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

WildStar like other new MMO IP's is generic as hell.

The game is like a singer that has attended a singing school for 12 years, who can sing any song perfectly but has developed no identity of his/her own as a singer.

The game is the epitome of Asian education culture where everyone is expected to memorize concepts while giving no room for creativity. The end result is intelligent drones that can imitate everything but have no mind of their own.

There is no background, no culture, just the bare minimum effort to be able to give the game a name based on something concrete.

This kind of blandness does not equate threat to WoW.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

WoW is WoW. Doing something similar to WoW won't hurt WoW substantially, simply because WoW does what WoW does best, period.

People wanting the WoW experience will play WoW.

imageimage
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    Originally posted by Tarblood
    THE ONLY REASON WOW WILL NOT BE KILLED BY ANY GAME IS, WHO THE HELL WANTS TO START OVER AFTER 10+ YEARS IN A VIDEO GAME THAT'S STILL ACTIVE, GROWING AND EXPANDING?! Also, I want Wildstar to win at least 500K subs a month, that's it. Don't need anymore, just don't have 100000 servers....

Growing?  Sorry buddy, WoW is not growing any more.  Its going downhill and quick

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by Talonsin

Nothing will touch WoW.  It came out at the right time, it had great gameplay mechanics for the time of its release and now it is a cultural icon.  Younger kids play it just because they hear about it so much on TV and in conversations.  Blizzard still has its incredible number of subbers for lots of reasons:

1. Many people have max level toons and enjoy the raid content

2. So many people have played and have so many friends from the game that they don't want to leave

3. For many people, it was their first MMO and holds a lot of sentimental value

4. Young kids jump in so they can be cool and figure out what the meme's are all about.  Who was Leroy Jenkins?

5. It has low PC system and internet connection requirements

I think Wildstar will sell around 2 million boxes but due to MMO saturation, the current generations tendency to get bored quick and other factors, I don't see it ever coming close to WoW and I would be surprised if it held on to 1.5 million subs 6 to 8 months after release. 

The times have changed and like it or not, nothing will ever hit the WoW numbers until some game development house reaches down into their pants, grabs their manhood and develops an original game where people can build things, earn a reputation across the entire server and actually influence the gameworld. 

swtor sold roughly 2.8 mio boxes, with a MASSIVE hype, and a big IP

and you expect wildstar to sell 2 mios?

im guessing roughly 800k boxes, and 400k long term subs

this is a niche game, not a blockbuster

lol...by your definition ALL MMORPGs except WoW are niche games then :)

It's like those who say SWG was a flop it only had circa 300k subs at peak....they conveniently forget this was in a time when the WoW equivalent (EQ) only had circa 500k subs itself.

To call Wildstar a niche game (based on an assumption of 400k subs) at a time when all other MMORPGs in the West apart from WoW would literally KILL to have a guaranteed 400k subs is.....I dont know....disingenuous at best.

Driz

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

Looking at a large number of videos of Wildstar over the past week or so I don't really get the feeling that it brings anything new to the genre.

It looks pretty and it seems fairly smooth playing, although I imagine the combat system and dodging will be annoying playing with an sort of latency.

The questing design seems to be a real let down though.

WoW 2.0 eh? It's quests are still the old school kill x of y style quests with walls of text (disguised by hiding them in smaller block behind pseudo choice dialog options). WoW since Cata has significantly better and more interesting quests.

The world is still a field full of mobs standing around (or occasionally pathing along set paths). i.e. nothing new over what WoW and dozens of other games before and after it have provided.

Yes it has player housing, but that only really satisfies a small number of players and I'm not one of them.

So in the end what does Wildstar off that is new and exciting over WoW?  SWTOR had the voice acted questing + companions. TSW had investigations quests and the no class system. GW2 had your level scaling to the zones and WvW. Wildstar has?

Your quote is a typical canned response to a new themepark game, and it doesn't speak well for you in terms of researching the game you are criticizing.  At this point, I can't go into detail about every little bit of misinformation in your post.  But suffice to say, the reality of Wildstar is completely opposite to how you portray it in some of your points.

As far as innovations, Wildstar is offering a different leveling structure completely independent of adventure leveling with the path system.  Much like Vanguards's diplomacy system worked separately from the levels you gain from adventuring, the path you choose does the same in Wildstar.  It allows people to choose alternate content while they are out in the world, based on how they like to play the game.  Moreover, all the paths work together so that everybody benefits from the path you choose.  Now, anyone saying this isn't innovative simply has their head buried in the sand, or is hating on the game for no reason than to hate.    

And also, while on the subject of "innovation,"  lets also understand that a game doesn't need to be innovative to be successful.  And it doesn't need to be innovative to be a solid game.  Unlike GW2, where ArenaNet tried so hard to do everything so different from a tried-and-true MMO formula, and ended up worse off for it, Carbine is taking the Blizzard approach:  They are taking the good things from games like WoW, making sure they include all the MMO staples, and then improving upon the things from those successful MMOs by sprinkling in their own adjustments.  

You don't have to reinvent the wheel every time out to make a successful game.  You simply need to make a solid, fun game.   

Considering that every game released in the last ten years not named WoW that has used that formula has failed horribly I would call it a tried-and-true formula for failure.

yes it's true many have not done well following this formula, but that's because quite a few of them didn't try to bring something new or intresting or try add their own style to game. Carbine have taken SOME ideas from WoW, but at the same time added so much of themselves and many other things to the game. Like Rebel said, people haven't taken the time to look at what the game offers, they see quests, raiding, PvP and instantly think "omg Wow clone, nothing new".

If this is true then please direct me to WoWs:

• Path system
    • Housing
    • Warplots, that alow me to place raid bosses as guards
    • Action combat
    • Rotating end game raids
    • Meaningful crafting system where the gear is actually of use while leveling.
    • Redesgined sci-fi themed classes
    • In-depth skill/AMP system

These are a few things i could think of, and we still have little information about their elder game. Don't take this as me being a fanboi, i'm all for people providing negative feedback or criticizing aspects of the game they don't like, but stating a game offers nothing and is a copy with out researching, when both games offer different things with barely anything in common, is a bit silly imho. 

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by DanitaKusor

Looking at a large number of videos of Wildstar over the past week or so I don't really get the feeling that it brings anything new to the genre.

It looks pretty and it seems fairly smooth playing, although I imagine the combat system and dodging will be annoying playing with an sort of latency.

The questing design seems to be a real let down though.

WoW 2.0 eh? It's quests are still the old school kill x of y style quests with walls of text (disguised by hiding them in smaller block behind pseudo choice dialog options). WoW since Cata has significantly better and more interesting quests.

The world is still a field full of mobs standing around (or occasionally pathing along set paths). i.e. nothing new over what WoW and dozens of other games before and after it have provided.

Yes it has player housing, but that only really satisfies a small number of players and I'm not one of them.

So in the end what does Wildstar off that is new and exciting over WoW?  SWTOR had the voice acted questing + companions. TSW had investigations quests and the no class system. GW2 had your level scaling to the zones and WvW. Wildstar has?

Your quote is a typical canned response to a new themepark game, and it doesn't speak well for you in terms of researching the game you are criticizing.  At this point, I can't go into detail about every little bit of misinformation in your post.  But suffice to say, the reality of Wildstar is completely opposite to how you portray it in some of your points.

As far as innovations, Wildstar is offering a different leveling structure completely independent of adventure leveling with the path system.  Much like Vanguards's diplomacy system worked separately from the levels you gain from adventuring, the path you choose does the same in Wildstar.  It allows people to choose alternate content while they are out in the world, based on how they like to play the game.  Moreover, all the paths work together so that everybody benefits from the path you choose.  Now, anyone saying this isn't innovative simply has their head buried in the sand, or is hating on the game for no reason than to hate.    

And also, while on the subject of "innovation,"  lets also understand that a game doesn't need to be innovative to be successful.  And it doesn't need to be innovative to be a solid game.  Unlike GW2, where ArenaNet tried so hard to do everything so different from a tried-and-true MMO formula, and ended up worse off for it, Carbine is taking the Blizzard approach:  They are taking the good things from games like WoW, making sure they include all the MMO staples, and then improving upon the things from those successful MMOs by sprinkling in their own adjustments.  

You don't have to reinvent the wheel every time out to make a successful game.  You simply need to make a solid, fun game.   

Somewhere in that sentence you should have thrown in an "in my opinion", because imho if there is one thing Anet did do right, it was to get away from the typical quest hub. 

It's a message board...I'm assuming everyone realizes that it's always an opinion.  I'll agree with you regarding GW2 packaging their quests better.  I believe that was an improvement over the old style, even if the quests themselves weren't much better than what we've previously seen (in my very humble opinion).  Not everything GW2 did was bad.  There were a lot of good ideas.  I just didn't care for the implementation on much of it.  But, you even see in Wildstar that they are taking the good aspects from a lot of games, including GW2 and the limited action set/combat, and tweaking it a little for their game.    

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

WildStar like other new MMO IP's is generic as hell.

The game is like a singer that has attended a singing school for 12 years, who can sing any song perfectly but has developed no identity of his/her own as a singer.

The game is the epitome of Asian education culture where everyone is expected to memorize concepts while giving no room for creativity. The end result is intelligent drones that can imitate everything but have no mind of their own.

There is no background, no culture, just the bare minimum effort to be able to give the game a name based on something concrete.

This kind of blandness does not equate threat to WoW.

Admit it, you really haven't followed this game very closely, have you?  One of the things anyone who has paid any attention at all can say about this game is that it does have it's own personality.  And Carbine is definitely putting a new spin on some old ideas.  

Also, nice jab at Asian culture.  Stay classy. 

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by ImperialSun
    Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by Talonsin

Nothing will touch WoW.  It came out at the right time, it had great gameplay mechanics for the time of its release and now it is a cultural icon.  Younger kids play it just because they hear about it so much on TV and in conversations.  Blizzard still has its incredible number of subbers for lots of reasons:

1. Many people have max level toons and enjoy the raid content

2. So many people have played and have so many friends from the game that they don't want to leave

3. For many people, it was their first MMO and holds a lot of sentimental value

4. Young kids jump in so they can be cool and figure out what the meme's are all about.  Who was Leroy Jenkins?

5. It has low PC system and internet connection requirements

I think Wildstar will sell around 2 million boxes but due to MMO saturation, the current generations tendency to get bored quick and other factors, I don't see it ever coming close to WoW and I would be surprised if it held on to 1.5 million subs 6 to 8 months after release. 

The times have changed and like it or not, nothing will ever hit the WoW numbers until some game development house reaches down into their pants, grabs their manhood and develops an original game where people can build things, earn a reputation across the entire server and actually influence the gameworld. 

swtor sold roughly 2.8 mio boxes, with a MASSIVE hype, and a big IP

and you expect wildstar to sell 2 mios?

im guessing roughly 800k boxes, and 400k long term subs

this is a niche game, not a blockbuster

lol...by your definition ALL MMORPGs except WoW are niche games then :)

It's like those who say SWG was a flop it only had circa 300k subs at peak....they conveniently forget this was in a time when the WoW equivalent (EQ) only had circa 500k subs itself.

To call Wildstar a niche game (based on an assumption of 400k subs) at a time when all other MMORPGs in the West apart from WoW would literally KILL to have a guaranteed 400k subs is.....I dont know....disingenuous at best.

Driz

they are

Theres wow, and then Theres the rest

aion is supposed to be around 6 mio players

but where is the following sub culture, that wow has?

the crazy music videos, the player made movies?

Again..if SWG s numbers were that good, WHY DID THEY CHANGE THE GAME?

a bankrobber, dropping the loot, to mug an old lady?

no, swg was tanking, and they tried to tweak it into a wow clone

they only pissed of most of the players , they had, and gained very few new ones

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I think this game may actually hit WoW's subs hard. Unlike so many other WoW clones, this seems to be doing what WoW did, but better. The stylized graphics are sharper, the combat more slick. It is adding housing which Blizzard is attempting to answer with their own version. The crafting is a more customizable version of WoW's tried and true system. I think this is less of a WoW clone and more of a WoW v2.0

They are doing what Blizzard did to EQ. And they may just beat them at their own game. I think Anet tried to beat WoW by going the polar opposite route. But Wildstar seems to have everything that a WoW fan enjoys, but better.

The storylines and characters are tounge in cheek and full of pop culture references, the raids seem bigger and badder, exploration is a career path.

I think WoW just may take its biggest subscription hit when this game launches. And I think Blizzard knows it.

I actually think this game will be faster Free to Play or/and integrate a cash shop.

This game is produced by an Asian Company called NCSOFT.

They did produce games like:

* Aion, Lineage, City of Heroes and GW/GW2

and holy shit...Tabula Rasa aswell Exteel.

I first thought this game could be interesting, but after checking who is actually producing this game I only can imagine in what direction the game is going. After I did notice who is actually producing this mmorpg my alarm clocks did start ringing.

If you like the games mentioned above, great. I did play them and Aion, Lineage 2, City of Heroes were just plain crap and GW2 was such a disappointment, Tabula Rasa was a huge flop........no thank you, personally I wasnt impressed with any game from them. But the game will probably have its own success, there are enough people around who have a different taste about games.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by spizz

I think this game may actually hit WoW's subs hard. Unlike so many other WoW clones, this seems to be doing what WoW did, but better. The stylized graphics are sharper, the combat more slick. It is adding housing which Blizzard is attempting to answer with their own version. The crafting is a more customizable version of WoW's tried and true system. I think this is less of a WoW clone and more of a WoW v2.0

They are doing what Blizzard did to EQ. And they may just beat them at their own game. I think Anet tried to beat WoW by going the polar opposite route. But Wildstar seems to have everything that a WoW fan enjoys, but better.

The storylines and characters are tounge in cheek and full of pop culture references, the raids seem bigger and badder, exploration is a career path.

I think WoW just may take its biggest subscription hit when this game launches. And I think Blizzard knows it.

I actually think this game will be faster Free to Play or/and integrate a cash shop.

I first thought this game could be interesting, but after checking who is actually producing this game I only can imagine in what direction the game is going. After I did notice who is actually producing this mmorpg my alarm clocks did start ringing.

If you like the games mentioned above, great. I did play them and Aion, Lineage 2, City of Heroes were just plain crap and GW2 was such a disappointment, Tabula Rasa was a huge flop........no thank you, personally I wasnt impressed with any game from them. But the game will probably have its own success, there are enough people around who have a different taste about games.

...and I though olders ( based on your registration date ) have more brain then...you know... the rest.

That ...Asian company is the publisher. Ever heard of .. ArenaNet? Carbine? Paragon Studios? Cryptic Studios? Right ... 

Thanks for you "cool story bro" !

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by IceAge

...and I though olders ( based on your registration date ) have more brain then...you know... the rest.

That ...Asian company is the publisher. Ever heard of .. ArenaNet? Carbine? Paragon Studios? Cryptic Studios? Right ... 

NCSOFT is a company specialized in distribution and developing of games. They may have a weight when it comes to decision.  I played a lot of games from them and really dont care what studios are behind, they have a vision and a distribution plan and they decide what products are getting sold. They took over a lot of developing studios and they closed studios and the products are sold under their name.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by spizz I really dont care what studios are behind, (ncsoft) have a vision and a distribution plan and they decide what products are getting sold, they took over a lot of developing studios and they closed studios. 

personally, i value the studio over the publisher

yes, Carbine is associated w ncsoft but i view Wildstar as a Carbine game

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I think most people playing WoW probably don't even know about WS. 

In fact, I think most people that stop playing WoW are more likely to not play another MMO than are. 

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Malacth

Actually WoW is the MMO Genre now. It's the most widely known MMO game, and widely played MMO game, and will continue to be for a very long time. It will become a relic when it has thousands of people playing it, not millions.

agree - WOW may as well be culture now

I think Nadia's video says it all lol.

Isaiah 41:10
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

WoW isn't going to be done in by any single MMO; instead every big title that comes out takes a little bite out of its playerbase until eventually there won't be much left or they'll change the business model.

Either way, WoW isn't going anywhere anytime soon - and Wildstar won't do much more than take another bite out of it.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by IceAge

NCSOFT is a company specialized in distribution and developing of games. They may have a weight when it comes to decision.  I played a lot of games from them and really dont care what studios are behind, they have a vision and a distribution plan and they decide what products are getting sold. They took over a lot of developing studios and they closed studios and the products are sold under their name.

...right

Sure, you have a valid point and that's about it. Indeed NcSoft may weight in SOME decisions, but you know what? From my point of view, NcSoft is a top 3 company. I don't care they closed TR , CoH , etc.  or even Studios which they bought, because I am pretty sure they closed it because they had VALID reasons to do that. No , don't listen to the "internetzzz" . I am pretty sure they have data which we don't have.

So, yes, there is an influence here and there, but the core game is based on the Carbine Studios ideas ( see GW2 ). So I am somehow, agree with this. If it wasn't NcSoft, then we might not be able to see WS where is it now. Heck, we might not even see it at all. 

If you cannot see that, then what can I say .. go away and don't look back?

I don't say that NcSoft is the best company nor that they didn't made mistakes ( I am looking at you Aion ) , but all in all , is an O.K company. Much better then a lot out there. 

But in the end , I think it resumes to even like them or ... hate them, but it has nothing to do with WS other then publishing and maybe some ideas here and there which is ... acceptable. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485
    The "bites' on WoW are coming fast and furious nowadays. They are under peak vanilla. It will be interesting to see how they come out next quarter which is Feb. 6.
  • theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684

I honestly don't care if its a threat to wow or not. I'm interested in the game, therefore I just hope its successful and can hold my attention for at least a short while. Its been a while since an MMORPG has held my attention for very long. The last one I can think of was SWTOR, and even then, it was only for a few months.

I enjoyed wow when I played it, and will probably check out the new expansion as well. I don't get the need to find a demise for the game, especially since whatever game that will replace it will probably be just as hated. Then again, MMORPG's have kind of fallen from grace as of recent.

I don't know. I just want me some sci-fi mmo goodness, and hope that this game can deliver. 

Groovy.

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

I don't really see why anyone would want to play Wildstar over WoW. Some claim that the graphics in Wildstar are better but I find the game uglier, especially now that WoW is getting updated player models. There's just something  a lot more atmospheric about WoW compared to Wildstar

Wildstar will have housing, but so will WoW in their next expansion

Warplots sound interesting but not THAT interesting that I'd pay a sub just to keep playing warplots. Unless WoW's Warlords of Draenor turns out to be crap I think I'll just keep myself subbed to WoW

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Zzulu

I don't really see why anyone would want to play Wildstar over WoW. Some claim that the graphics in Wildstar are better but I find the game uglier, especially now that WoW is getting updated player models. There's just something  a lot more atmospheric about WoW compared to Wildstar

Warplots sound interesting but not THAT interesting that I'd pay a sub just to keep playing warplots. Unless WoW's Warlords of Draenor turns out to be crap I think I'll just keep myself subbed to WoW

The combat is better.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by evilastro

The combat is better.

At the same time, it's action based.

People playing WoW have a hard enough time staying alive with tab targeting and mods telling them when to move.  I don't see them transitioning over to a more difficult system.

I just started playing WoW for the first time and am amazed at how bad the average player really is.  No awareness whatsoever.   I'm generalizing of course but i see it every single day.

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

"People playing WoW have a hard enough time staying alive with tab targeting and mods telling them when to move. I don't see them transitioning over to a more difficult system."

Nonsense. Action combat is just better. Here is why - it matches up better with real life. For example in WoW if you are in an AOE you take FULL damage. If you are out of it you take none. If you try to jump out of it you still take full damage even if the fire is on the ground. If some dude throws a fireball at you and you try to duck behind the wall - it will curve around the wall and hit you. 

This is all because of the way World of Warcraft calculates the combat. Back in 1999 computers didn't have access to high bandwith. So the game makers compromised. Rather then player A doing something - and then the other players and NPCs doing something and then checking what happens.. They just said okay player A does something - we check right then and there what happens and then we let them draw shit to explain it.

This saves bandwith. The fireball hits you if Blizzard says you were hittable at the exact moment the guy casts it. Action combat OTOH matches up closer to how our minds IMAGINE things would work. Standing in fire - jump the heck out of it. Slow moving missle coming your way - move out of the way. This is the way game makers always wanted combat to be. ITs the way it was in single player games with no bandwith issues.

Nowadays if you are far from a bomb that goes off in a game you might be hit with a piece of shrapnel - but if you are close you are probabaly dead. THis is how we imagine bombs to work - and thus players really like action combat.

By modern standards WoWs combat is an archaic compromise. The sooner people start playing better MMOs and realize this the better..

• Heavy-armor-warriorHeavy-armor-warrior Member Posts: 222

Watching wildstar, it reminds me a lot of the early WoW. When people thought it was the game.

I do think that wildstar can take the thrown....that is... if it can get past TESO.

Teso is a mmorpg with a lot of RPG stuff. It seems pretty cool. It will grab a lot of new mmorpg players plus single-player TES players plus normal mmorpg players who just want to test it out. So its got quit the fan base.

Its also released before wildstar so if it is good, its just might shadow over wildstar which is a shame if it does.

BUT with all that said, if that game does suck. Then wilstar will take over WoW probably.

My 2 cents. (Its worth $2.74 in most countries.)

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Alders
    Originally posted by evilastro

The combat is better.

At the same time, it's action based.

People playing WoW have a hard enough time staying alive with tab targeting and mods telling them when to move.  I don't see them transitioning over to a more difficult system.

I just started playing WoW for the first time and am amazed at how bad the average player really is.  No awareness whatsoever.   I'm generalizing of course but i see it every single day.

That's a fair call, it changes in harder raids and arenas, but the average player is sub-par by other MMO player standards.

In arenas the lower tiers are like taking candy from a baby, and then you will hit a wall where players actually pay attention and use CC properly, its quite jarring.

Same thing with raids, raid finder and even flex are pretty much a joke, once you get into heroics you really need to be on your toes.

Wildstar appears to be targeting disgruntled WoW players who preferred it when there was actually hard content, rather than content for everyone.  You are right in saying that will probably mean they will never have the popularity of WoW.  The next thing to beat WoW will probably be a MMO version of Candy Crush Saga or Angry Birds.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    So many echoes.... deja vu. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron