Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Can't wait to see it on PS4." - Smedley

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

A new quote to MMORPG.com, but unobserved.  Something important.  There was some speculation as to whether EQN will appear on a console.  Some read between the lines, some didn't.  Well here's some direct quotes.

SOE president 'can't wait' to see EverQuest Next on PS4

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/11/18/soe-president-cant-wait-to-see-everquest-next-on-ps4/

In an interview with GamerHubTV, Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley hinted at a PlayStation 4 release for the studio's next big MMO, EverQuest Next. Smedley was coy on the details, explaining, "We haven't announced technically that we're putting it on the PlayStation 4, but it's fair to say that we're a Sony company, so I say that with a smile on my face. Can't wait to see it on PS4."

So there you go, a console style MMO for everyone to enjoy, just like EverQuest Online Adventures.  Console MMO's are known for high quality, right?

Why does this game even have the logo EverQuest attached to it again?

Oh well .. it's a definite from those quotes (beyond other speculation) that this game will be a PS4 console title.  Some of EQ fans felt this, but the highlighted blue is confirmation.  Good thing there are only 4 hotbars, otherwise we'd need a new controller!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

lol man, consoles are like the antichrist on these forums. Are you sure you're gamers?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by DMKano

SoE has been given a directive that all upcoming games must run on PS4.

I havent seen announcement of Free Realms coming to PS4  (it's on PS3)

but maybe SOE will stream it

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/20/playstation-4-will-stream-ps1-ps2-ps3-games/

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Originally posted by Foomerang

lol man, consoles are like the antichrist on these forums. Are you sure you're gamers?

You have to wonder, lol

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Karteli

A new quote to MMORPG.com, but unobserved.  Something important.  There was some speculation as to whether EQN will appear on a console.  Some read between the lines, some didn't.  Well here's some direct quotes.

SOE president 'can't wait' to see EverQuest Next on PS4

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/11/18/soe-president-cant-wait-to-see-everquest-next-on-ps4/

In an interview with GamerHubTV, Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley hinted at a PlayStation 4 release for the studio's next big MMO, EverQuest Next. Smedley was coy on the details, explaining, "We haven't announced technically that we're putting it on the PlayStation 4, but it's fair to say that we're a Sony company, so I say that with a smile on my face. Can't wait to see it on PS4."

So there you go, a console style MMO for everyone to enjoy, just like EverQuest Online Adventures.  Console MMO's are known for high quality, right?

Why does this game even have the logo EverQuest attached to it again?

Oh well .. it's a definite from those quotes (beyond other speculation) that this game will be a PS4 console title.  Some of EQ fans felt this, but the highlighted blue is confirmation.  Good thing there are only 4 hotbars, otherwise we'd need a new controller!

While watching the big unveil I chuckled because I am still waiting for this "world changer" to the genre, they hyped it up so large it could only do one thing which is fail. Specifically when it is nothing like what the majority of EQ fans wanted.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

The PS4 is a capable gaming machine.  It's not like they're going to have to cram everything into 256 MB of system memory like they would need to in order to make it run on a PS3.  Furthermore, the hardware is similar enough to a PC that porting it will probably be far easier than it would have been with previous consoles.  Having the console owned by the same company as makes the game means that roadblocks to updating will probably be greatly eased as compared to what consoles have traditionally done.  Putting it on a console with 8 weak CPU cores means that they'll have to put in the work to scale it to more cores, and we won't get a single-threaded mess of a code base like EverQuest II.

So I don't see what the problem is.  Or are you worried that the game might end up being gamepad-friendly?

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096

I don't know about anti-Christs but, not every one can handle a P.C., most people in fact cant. Just go to any computer forum, and you will see. Just look at all the repair shops, hell prolly go look at your girl friends computer, and you will see all the un-intended garbage they put on it. So there is nothing wrong with a easy mode. If some one doesn't want to take the time to figure out how to use, and customize a P.C., and just wants to put a game in and hit a button ahh well. 

So, just don't play games that release on consoles. Maybe they will brake the trend, but i doubt it considering what a console represents. But I think World of Warcraft already did a good enough job, turning MMOS into a brainless activity. Just be thankful they are making Ever Quest Landmark, that should be good. 

I think it being on console will ruin the game my self, just look at ESO, that game will only be popular on console. You can tell that is was designed to make console owners happy. So EQN, will prolly be the same. Bad graphics, linear quest lines ect.ect.ect. 

Originally posted by Quizzical

The PS4 is a capable gaming machine.  It's not like they're going to have to cram everything into 256 MB of system memory like they would need to in order to make it run on a PS3.  Furthermore, the hardware is similar enough to a PC that porting it will probably be far easier than it would have been with previous consoles.  Having the console owned by the same company as makes the game means that roadblocks to updating will probably be greatly eased as compared to what consoles have traditionally done.  Putting it on a console with 8 weak CPU cores means that they'll have to put in the work to scale it to more cores, and we won't get a single-threaded mess of a code base like EverQuest II.

So I don't see what the problem is.  Or are you worried that the game might end up being gamepad-friendly?

I am not worried, the keyboard and mouse are a better forum of control any way you look at it. The best example is go play that eve shooter for ps3. Watch the people with the game pad, vs people with a good mouse and keyboard. It makes it look like they are using cheat codes. I went into those servers with my mouse and keyboard, and my first game I was scoring high. 

[mod edit]

Not to point it out, but if you think a PS4 is a capable gaming machine, I dont know what kind of computer you have, but you should of spent that 400 dollars on a PC upgrade. PS4 is about as capable as my computer i threw in the garbage 4 years ago. My friends computer which was built over 3 years ago is a more capable gaming machine. And its just a amd 6 core, with a 5870x2. Just look at BF4 since that game  was targeting consoles, we got a game with shitty graphics compared to what they could of been. But since the ps4 is garbage in that department, we get a game with bf3 graphics, so console players can do 64 maps.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

hm, is this site called www.gamers.com or www.mmorpg.com... guess i am having a display error here ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

I think it's safe to say we will be seeing A LOT more mmo's coming to the new consoles because of how powerful ( /rolleyes) they are! Why not? It's a cash pot that has potential and the big dogs will take it.

Simple as that. 

Be ready for shit console port mmo's too

Originally posted by Thane
    Originally posted by Foomerang lol man, consoles are like the antichrist on these forums. Are you sure you're gamers?
    hm, is this site called www.gamers.com or www.mmorpg.com... guess i am having a display error here ^^

So you're saying if you only play mmorpgs, then you're not a gamer? That's unfortunate heh.
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Here is another example, Skyrim. I bought a PS3 , and played skyrim on it. I made it to level 5 and quit. Now on the P.C. version I have spent over 700 hours playing it, and never even beat the game. Skyrim on the console for me is a unplayable garbage game, designed for children. The combat i swear they were just like, lets just make it so people can close there eyes, and spam buttons and still win. 

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    I'm curious to see how the community would play out on PSN. The game has been touted as a community working together game. I'm sure the console fantasy community can't be more toxic than the PC one.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

I've seen plenty of dev saying that their MMOs where going to be released on consoles, out of these "announcement", only the Final Fantasy MMOs, Phantasy Star Online series and FPS MMOs made it...

In other word, I'll believe it when I see it.

Originally posted by makasouleater69
    Originally posted by Quizzical The PS4 is a capable gaming machine.  It's not like they're going to have to cram everything into 256 MB of system memory like they would need to in order to make it run on a PS3.  Furthermore, the hardware is similar enough to a PC that porting it will probably be far easier than it would have been with previous consoles.  Having the console owned by the same company as makes the game means that roadblocks to updating will probably be greatly eased as compared to what consoles have traditionally done.  Putting it on a console with 8 weak CPU cores means that they'll have to put in the work to scale it to more cores, and we won't get a single-threaded mess of a code base like EverQuest II. So I don't see what the problem is.  Or are you worried that the game might end up being gamepad-friendly?
       Here is another example, Skyrim. I bought a PS3 , and played skyrim on it. I made it to level 5 and quit. Now on the P.C. version I have spent over 700 hours playing it, and never even beat the game. Skyrim on the console for me is a unplayable garbage game, designed for children. The combat i swear they were just like, lets just make it so people can close there eyes, and spam buttons and still win. 

Heh so what are you complaining about then? You get to play Skyrim on your PC and its just how you like it. So how does that equate to consoles making PC gaming crappy when your example proves the opposite.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    No real big shocker. It makes good business sense to leverage the new platform to increase the player base. It also explains the lower level visual style being applied as it will take much longer for the graphics to become visibly dated. The downside is that this not what the existing playerbase of the EQ games wanted. Developing a new IP and bringing it to the console platform would have been preferable. 
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by azarhal

I've seen plenty of dev saying that their MMOs where going to be released on consoles, out of these "announcement", only the Final Fantasy MMOs, Phantasy Star Online series and FPS MMOs made it...

In other word, I'll believe it when I see it.

SOE has done it for past games

Free Realms launched on PC 2009, launched on PS3 2011

DCUO - simultaneous launch PC / PS3  2011,  available on PS4 Nov 2013

Planetside 2, launched on PC 2012, expected on PS4 early 2014

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331

I never read this anywhere, but I assumed it. The control scheme for DC universe is probably a good indication of what EQ next fans are in for.

yeah there is some bias against console gaming here.  The origins of the genre lie with the personal computer.  I think it's the fear that the game will be simplified and that a mouse/keyboard control scheme will be too, to accommodate a console's capability & controller.  

image I couldn't stand playing the Batman games on my PC.  They were very obviously made for consoles.  Simple solution though: play it on the console.

• GotterdammerGotterdammer Member Posts: 36

Some people do take the console hate a little far, but consoles ARE the training wheels of the gaming world. That's a fact. Closed, non-upgradable systems of set specs running software that cannot be configured or altered in any meaningful way, extremely limited control sets and only the most basic functionality built in.

Is it really that much of a surprise that people feel that complicated games like MMOs are ruined when designed with consoles in mind? I know I feel that way. If EQN is released with a console minded UI on the PC version, I won't be giving them my money. If they make a PC version with a 100% PC UI and a console version with a 100% console UI, I'm completely fine with that.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by makasouleater69

I am not worried, the keyboard and mouse are a better forum of control any way you look at it.

The way I look at it is, I use a keyboard and mouse a lot at work.  If I come home and use them some more, I might well hurt myself from repetitive strain injuries.  A gamepad is different enough and far better ergonomically than a mouse that it is much safer to play games using one.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

" ... 4 weapon skills and 4 abilies map perfectly to 8 buttons ..."

Nobody will need more than 4 skills and 4 abilities in an MMO.

Sigh.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Originally posted by Gotterdammer
    Originally posted by Foomerang lol man, consoles are like the antichrist on these forums. Are you sure you're gamers?

Some people do take the console hate a little far, but consoles ARE the training wheels of the gaming world. That's a fact. Closed, non-upgradable systems of set specs running software that cannot be configured or altered in any meaningful way, extremely limited control sets and only the most basic functionality built in.

Is it really that much of a surprise that people feel that complicated games like MMOs are ruined when designed with consoles in mind? I know I feel that way. If EQN is released with a console minded UI on the PC version, I won't be giving them my money. If they make a PC version with a 100% PC UI and a console version with a 100% console UI, I'm completely fine with that.

Ok fair enough, but I'm tired of hypotheticals. What pc game are you playing right now that has been negatively affected by its console counterpart? I'd really like to know.
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

It will be the consoles that expand the genre period. So all the elitists can hate as much as they want but this will most certainly be the case. Consider the AAA PC exclusive fantasy mmo dead unless someone makes it on Kickstarter.  Otherwise get your heart set on Star Citizen and other indy mmos.

And as someone mentioned we will have Landmark, so just make your own mmo with that. MMO's are an expensive game and a mass market one system type unit is very appealing to all of these companies unlike dealing with the headache of hundreds of thousands of variations of home PC's.

My most anticipated mmos of next year personally? Destiny, The Crew and the Division and I will have all of them on a brand new spanking PS4. There are no mmo devs that have the experience, class and just polish of Bungie and Ubisoft. Absolutely none. Not to mention none of these games are that tired standard European fantasy crap. One can only play Lord of the Rings variants but so long without getting sick of them.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93

This isn't 2001. EQOA was the one my best mmo experiences ever. The graphics were garbage, even in those days, but still better than PCs crap graphics, and on a PS2, nonetheless. PS4 has 8 gigs of ram and a GPU setup built for gaming. Is it future proof? no. Will is run an MMO at 60 fps? maybe. The cartoony graphics of EQN are similar to WoW, when it was released, and after 9 years WoW still holds up compared to other MMOs trying to go the realistic route.

EQOA might have been simple in comparison to PC, and PS4 might be too; however, I know if FF14 can pull it off so can EQN. If all this is true about EQN coming to PS4, it is now officially the number one game I am looking to buy.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Sounds good to me.  I wait until games actually come out or I have a chance to play them before getting alarmist.  For all we know this will be the console MMO to end all MMO's.  Or it could be utter crap.  Either way I'm interested to see how it pans out and think it's worth pursuing for the sake of something different.

Steam: Neph