Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game will be such a letdown for so many people

13»

Comments

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Brenelael

This game has the most transparent development of any game in history. Every aspect of the game is described in the most minute details over and over again in interviews, a weekly show, almost hourly posts by the entire dev team answering questions and so on. The shear amount of information available on this game so far is totally incredible considering how early in development it still is. If someone is let down it's their own fault as the info defining exactly what this game is going to be is all right there at robertsspaceindustries.com for anyone that takes the trouble to go and look.

If you don't know exactly what this game is going to be it's your own fault for not doing a little research.

Bren

Which 90+% of the backers likely never did their research.  Everyone is real quick to jump on the hype band wagon blindly.  A fool and his money is soon parted which kickstarters only make it worse.  Every MMO that has been released has the same reception, everyone and their distant thrice removed cousin jumps on the game then the go forum raging.

I have my doubts about the multiplayer capability.  Might be great space sim but an MMO?  There are lots of big name companies with much greater experience and expertese that I doubt Star Citizen will hold much of a torch against from an MMO perspective.

No doubt that the amount of backing is astounding, however I think this will only make the shitstorm that will occur once SC is released bigger.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by furbans
    Originally posted by Brenelael

This game has the most transparent development of any game in history. Every aspect of the game is described in the most minute details over and over again in interviews, a weekly show, almost hourly posts by the entire dev team answering questions and so on. The shear amount of information available on this game so far is totally incredible considering how early in development it still is. If someone is let down it's their own fault as the info defining exactly what this game is going to be is all right there at robertsspaceindustries.com for anyone that takes the trouble to go and look.

If you don't know exactly what this game is going to be it's your own fault for not doing a little research.

Bren

Which 90+% of the backers likely never did their research.  Everyone is real quick to jump on the hype band wagon blindly.  A fool and his money is soon parted which kickstarters only make it worse.  Every MMO that has been released has the same reception, everyone and their distant thrice removed cousin jumps on the game then the go forum raging.

I have my doubts about the multiplayer capability.  Might be great space sim but an MMO?  There are lots of big name companies with much greater experience and expertese that I doubt Star Citizen will hold much of a torch against from an MMO perspective.

No doubt that the amount of backing is astounding, however I think this will only make the shitstorm that will occur once SC is released bigger.

Don't get me wrong as I have my concerns as well especially about how they are going to deal with ping and latency when you have people in NA in the same instances with players from AU and EU. This will be a major hurdle for them to overcome and being a programmer myself I'm not quite sure how they plan to accomplish this. Most games of this type get around this by having localized servers which SC may have to do if these issues become impossible to overcome directly. EVE uses a different approach to this issue by using basically traditional MMO turn based combat (It may look like real time but under the hood it's really a turn based/real time hybrid to compensate for ping and latency.).

----BUT---

I'm willing to give them the chance to succeed whereas a lot of others here have already doomed a project to failure that hasn't even gotten to the point where failure is even a possibility yet. There are ways around these issues. They may have to break up the community into localized server groups or they could make it so that people with high ping or latency would only get NPC encounters until their numbers are low enough for PvP. Or the matching system could take location into account when placing players together into instances.

---AND---

When people say that there isn't enough info just because they are too lazy to go and look at the mountain of information available including literally hundreds of actual in engine videos , Design docs, Interviews and so much more. Not to mention that every pledger already has the initial build on their HDs... Granted it isn't much at this point but every patch brings new functionality along with a slew of new bugs but it's pre-alpha so this is to be expected with such an early in development project.

I guess my point is I really have a hard time fathoming why people feel the need to bash on a project that they obviously know very little about and care even less. They seem to care more about the concept of trash talking a project than they do about the project itself which is just backwards logic at it's best. Hell, I seriously doubt half of the people posting in this thread know little more about this game other than it was crowd funded which is enough to send them on a holy crusade against it. They talk about the fanboys being out of control when they are ten time worse than any fanboy. At least fanboys have a clear purpose behind their actions... They want to support a project they love. The others have no clear purpose other than to Bash anything that has anything to do with crowd funding regardless of what it is.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

Dear OP,

(1) ALL mmo's and their ilk are "letdowns" in one way or another for the people who wind up not liking them.

(2) It is impossible to create a game that will appeal to everyone, regardless of the game's quality.

(3) There is a very simple reason why Coke and Pepsi are unable to put each other out of business, and don't even try to do so:  because not everyone is going to like Coke, and not everyone is going to like Pepsi.  Even if Pepsi gave away its product for free, many people would still drink Coke.

(4) One of the primary reasons that WoW and Guild Wars 1 have survived for so long is because they have been able to appeal to more folks than their competition and have been able to retain player interest for years.  Unfortunately, we have not seen this sort of quality in basically any other game to be released in the past several years.  Therefore, it is highly unlikely we will ever see another mmo with the player base that those two games have enjoyed, ever.  Ergo, essentially any game launched now can easily be called a "letdown."

(5) Coming onto these forums and handing down judgment on a game that hasn't even been released and that 99% of us haven't even touched, is every bit as idiotic as the threads we see claiming that something like WildStar is the Messiah of MMOs or that ESO is going to be "innovative" or "groundbreaking."  We have zero information on these games with which to make these ridiculous claims, be they fanboi drivel or hatred.

(6) If you don't want to play SC, then don't play it.  I highly doubt I will be playing it, but that is no reason for me to come here and trash it.

Thanks!

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by Hairysun

One thing I've noticed is that CIG is the most transparent companies I've ever seen.  There are constant updates on the SC website from new people they have hired to explanations of in game systems they have nailed down. 

I have found that many games being crowdfunded are doing this. The information being released on Shroud of the Avatar and how they are working with the community on a lot of things is nothing short of stellar, even IF you don't like the idea of the game you have to give them credit on the new direction they are taking in both being open and working with the community.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

OP: You are right this game will be a big letdown for allot of people.

Reason is people mostly complain about what a game is not or what feature's the game has not.

Hardly do we see people complaining about the actuall gameplay or it's playable feature's. Then again those players will of course use the official channels like official website/forum/tech support/customer support of that game if they encounter issue's.

On the other hand the game will NOT be a letdown for those who actually really follow the game.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    One of the main reasons why this game attracts me is because this isn't a mmo.  So with that said, I am so fine with some instancing if that is the case. 
  • KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

Originally posted by DocBrody
    Yeah I was looking forward to this game then I read about this PvE-slider thing they have.

This is no sandbox, no way. Hardcore my ***, they are patting the single players on the shoulder again. As usual.

l'll stick with EvE, thanks. Unfortunately there is only one developer that has the balls to make a real online sandbox -} CCP

So you are one of the Goons that got baned on the RSI forum?..

nope. I just enjoy the immersion in a player driven sandbox which Starcitizen is clearly not.

Slider and matchmaking and instancing, this is more like World of Tanks plus Economy don´t see how this is working yet.

CCP is just the only MMO developer who gets "sandbox MMO" right

See, this is what I've been saying since SC was announced. All these people trying to build it out in their head, hope and plead for it to be a MMO. It's not. Never was announced to be, never will be. Neither Chris Roberts nor CIG promised anyone that this was going to be a MMO. People have just tried to hope and pray and shoe-horn it anyway they can to be one.

And then other people who don't follow it read their wild rantings of "if you turn it this way and flip it over it looks like an MMO! Yay!". And they get mislead.

SC is a freaking Space Combat Simulator. I know most of you probably weren't even alive when Chris starting making Space sims, but that's what this is. Sure, it has multiplayer support and persistent server. That said, it is not an MMO as MMO has been defined by your WoWs and Darkfalls. CR and CIG have said this is a Space Sim from the start. It isn't their fault if people a) won't do the research for themselves and listen to the delusional, or b) refuse to acknowledge what the creators have said which it is NOT a MMO and IS a Space Sim.

So yeah, people are being mislead by many on this site and other MMO sites and they will be letdown if they are expecting themepark or sandbox MMO play.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

That is not quite accurate. There is a hangar demo which allows you to walk around in game in your hangar. That is indeed alot more than "just words".

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

While we're on the subject of "actual" game play it seems that when they created the kick starter cinematic they made it playable ..... sort of.  Since the cinematic was done within the game engine itself it was as simple as adding some user control to the ship.  It was called an early prototype as it was nothing more than just that.  

The prototype video mentions some of the poly counts of the models (Popular non-believer subject) and details thruster configuration to enable flight like an aircraft in zero G (Another popular non-believer subject).  So consider yourself warned.

Star Citizen Early Prototype - Gameplay (GDC 2012)

To say that it's a bit rough is an understatement.  If you need help with the definition of "Early Prototype" I'm sure someone around here can help you out.  Worst case scenario I would be happy to oblige.  Let me know .....

After watching I'm fairly certain we all can agree on one thing ........ Chris Roberts can't fly for shit.

~Hairysun

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Hairysun

While we're on the subject of "actual" game play it seems that when they created the kick starter cinematic they made it playable ..... sort of. Since the cinematic was done within the game engine itself it was as simple as adding some user control to the ship. It was called an early prototype as it was nothing more than just that.

Do you realize that they have licenced engine thus what you see is nothing more than a few models created with CryEngine SDK? About same level of "prototype" I linked?

It was almost 2 years ago, they already got tools to make the game, so what did they do since?

Also "flight like an aircraft in zero G"? That is the ridiculous part I was mentioning earlier. "Real spaceships movement and fly-by-wire system" - seriously...

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

I don't know about this game, but there hasn't been a thing in history that hasn't been a let down to someone.

Champagne are caviar are a let down to a lot of people.

The real problem comes when the champagne and caviar are a let down to the people who like caviar and champagne.

I fully expect Star Citizen to live up to Roberts' last decade or so of work in Hollywood.   If you are feeling real brave, go watch Wing Commander - The Movie again.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273
    I agree with the OP. All they do seems focused on milking to blood the backers. Look what achived with 2 mil Elite dangerous and with over 30 Star Citizen - a shop.