Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monitor suggestion for older, farsighted MMO gamer

GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172

Hello folks,

I really really don't want to wear reading glasses when I play MMOs if at all possible, unfortunately it feels like the font size on many games are getting smaller and smaller and I don't always have in-game options to increase font size.

Surely there are plenty of older gamers ( folks who are over 45 years old )  who are farsighted and have experienced this problem.  What size monitor and resolution would you suggest?     I'm looking for a quality monitor with a viable native resolution for gaming and my vision that will last several years and hopefully allow me to continue gaming without having to use reading glasses.  

My existing monitor is a Dell 2007wfp which is several years old and though it still works I'm ready to replace it.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Can you see far away objects better?

How about trying to use the computer with a video projector, or possibly a large TV. While they're not ideal as computer screen, you could look at them from a much larger distance.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Vrika
    Can you see far away objects better?How about trying to use the computer with a video projector, or possibly a large TV. While they're not ideal as computer screen, you could look at them from a much larger distance.

I would recommend a 1080p television, with a "Gaming Mode" to eliminate any input lag. This will give you a resolution of 1920x1080. This can get pricey, but it's definitely cheaper than a comparably sized computer monitor.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by lizardbones

How about trying to use the computer with a video projector, or possibly a large TV. While they're not ideal as computer screen, you could look at them from a much larger distance.

I would recommend a 1080p television, with a "Gaming Mode" to eliminate any input lag. This will give you a resolution of 1920x1080. This can get pricey, but it's definitely cheaper than a comparably sized computer monitor.

Thanks for the suggestion, out of curiosity are you farsighted and use such a set-up?

Well I am also nearsighted as well, but I wear contact lenses to correct for that.  The farsighted part of my vision began in my mid 40s and it's VERY common for folks this age and older to have trouble seeing things close up as they age.    So farsighted people generally like to read text with larger fonts.

It's such a common problem that I figured there were probably certain sized computer monitors and resolutions that were ideal for older gamers.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

While a large screen TV does sound like it would be a good idea - I find it's actually harder to read text on it than a monitor. The pixels simply aren't optimized for showing text, and it appears fuzzy to me. A 1080 46" I have to run in 720 with the font size set to large for it to be legible for me.

Here's what I recommend:
    First, most games have some adjustment to their chat box font sizes. Not every UI element in every game does this, but most can at least get the chat box. That helps a lot right there. Even if a game can't adjust the font size, you can drop the resolution - this looks poor on most LCDs, but if you can stick to a multiple of the native resolution (like going from 1080 to 720), you can often still make it look ok. This helps a lot, and it's what I have to do when I'm playing hooked up to a TV.

I play at a desk, my monitor is just beyond arm's length from me. I find that a 24" 16x10 monitor pretty well fills my entire viewing field, and that to shift focus on elements from one far side of the screen to the other I actually do move my head ever so slightly -- so for me, that's right about the perfect size. I can catch everything in my peripheral vision, and to shift full focus I don't have to move much (ideally I wouldn't move at all, but cest le vie). For some people, that's 27-28". For others, that's a 4:3 19". It really depends on you, how you sit, and what you find is comfortable.

And that's the bottom line. It really depends on you. If it looks good to you, then it's a great monitor. Your eyesight, while it does impact what looks good to you, doesn't really make any particular type or make of monitor any better or worse, it still is going to come down to what looks good for you.

I like IPS LCD's - they look bright and vivid and clear to me, and I can't notice any lag or ghosting. Other people hate them, think they are too bright, and complain about pixel lag. I like both Widescreen and 4:3 monitors. My gaming computer has one of each. Some people can't stand widescreen, and some people can't stand the traditional 4:3 anymore.

I don't think they are wrong - they could very well be seeing something I don't. But it's going to be hard for you to know what you like or don't like unless you can get out and at least look at some screens. You don't have to buy them, but go out and see what the various technologies (TFT, IPS, LED, 120Hz, etc) look like - some of them will be in at Best Buy. Check out the Apple Store - those vary between the different model Macbooks and iMacs and showcase a few very nice panels (definitely don't buy an Apple monitor - they are extremely expensive).

That at least lets you know what you do and don't like, then you will know what additional questions you need to ask.

• repomanrepoman Member UncommonPosts: 18

hi

i am using for some time now 32" LED TVs and i have to admit it is quite good. I do have used some time 27" Samsung LEDs with low input lag and response but i love my big screen more.

I've mounted it at the wall and now i can sit in front of my large desk ( 90x200 cm :)) and, well, it works fine for me.

My first one was a Phillips PFL5606 - nice one ( 100 Hz but good picture and nearly nothing to moan - large Frame and no 3D )

but recently i decided to get me a new one for christmas :o) .  Don't know anymore what was first - the wish or the offer...

But as my daughter gets older I don't waste the old tv - it just changed the locations.

So there was an excellent offer some day and I get a new one: an LG LA6608 3D 400Hz mci LEDPlus.

And at least, with some work and some frickling i get a fine picture ( rename the HDMI Input to PC - IMPORTANT! )

and I can compete in BF3,Borderlands2 etc.  . No MMO at the moment ( GW2 , D3 , TSW ..., POE, AdventuresofvanHelsing and many more )

Needed some more action I guess.

greets

Trying hard to become human as it should be.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    You're in luck..because what you actually want is the cheaper moniitors because you want a big screen but not increased resolution. You can get quality 27" IPS monitors for next to nothing if they're "just" 1080p... usually under $200 on deals at Amazon, newegg, etc.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Grunim
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Vrika Can you see far away objects better?   How about trying to use the computer with a video projector, or possibly a large TV. While they're not ideal as computer screen, you could look at them from a much larger distance.
    Thanks for the suggestion, out of curiosity are you farsighted and use such a set-up?

I actually have better than 20/20 vision. My eyes are one of the few things that hasn't started to self destruct as I get older. I've just wanted a larger setup for gaming for awhile now. I have a 21" monitor at a 1680x1050 resolution which is fine, but a 40" 1080p screen sounds like heaven. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Change your resolution to 720p on actual monitor .if you don't like quality .revert to 1080p and change font size in window ( 200% )
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    I'm curious tho. Which game ?

Thanks to those of you who replied to this thread.  I ended up bringing home a 27 inch 1920x1080 IPS monitor today and I'm pleased to say I can read text much better than I could previously with my old 20 inch monitor.    For instance, I can finally clearly see my character stats in Path of Exile without having to bring my face close to the screen and squint.

It's amazing how in just a few hours I've adapted to a larger monitor. 

Signed,

A Happy Elder Gamer

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by Grunim

Thanks to those of you who replied to this thread.  I ended up bringing home a 27 inch 1920x1080 IPS monitor today and I'm pleased to say I can read text much better than I could previously with my old 20 inch monitor.    For instance, I can finally clearly see my character stats in Path of Exile without having to bring my face close to the screen and squint.

It's amazing how in just a few hours I've adapted to a larger monitor. 

Signed,

A Happy Elder Gamer

Glad you found a solution. This is why detailed U.I customization with the ability to adjust every element individually and not just a sliding scale for the whole thing is vital to me. This way I can get good resolutions but change chat font size and adjust each UI elements as my vision requires. Like adjustable inventory and character panes to see item descriptions and stats.

Games like RIFT had excellent UI options right out of the gate. SWTOR ended up with a pretty versatile one after a few laps. In other MMOs (even newer ones) , other than chat options which almost always have adjustable font sizes, I end up having to adjust everything upward just to read the quests or stats. Making the UI rather piggish on screen space. Or I have to lower resolution which sucks. Or both.

To be honest, my vision isn't even that bad despite having expended at least half my allotted breaths in this lifetime. Still I prefer everything baby bear when I setup my video games. There is no excuse for a severe lack of detailed avatar creation and UI customization in MMOs in this day and age. Somehow we still keep hearing plenty of them. It's a major mmo pet peeve of mine. Oh well, first world problems.