Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVE Improvements since 2009?

SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

I used to play EVE, but even though it was one of the  most interesting mmos I have ever played it failed to keep me interested beyond 5-6 months, main reason for that was  the repetitive and very boring PVE aspects of the game...I loved the economy, crafting sandbox aspects...but a gamer does like some good old pve that doesnt bore one to death every now and then.

Just wondering if in the last 4-5 years if CCP has patched in any meaningful PVE to the game, and if there are any links to these improvements it would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• OlaffsenOlaffsen Member Posts: 3

I absolutely agree, the boring PvE (mission running) was what made me quit about  two years ago as well.

I returned to the game a few months ago but got bored again as soons as I entered the first mission.

Surely, there is a lot to do aside the missions, even in PvE, bit the missions desperately need improvement!

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Yup, EVE mission running could use a major overhaul. Or rather a complete replacement.

But that is not going to happen anytime soon. Sadly.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Hell, if there ever was a game where a random mission/level generator would make sense, and was actually possible, this is it. But alas CCP has thier focus elsewhere.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

yes they are improve PvE but it is still game based on players interactions ,it is why is Eve only & unique  real mmo on genre market

They are add some story  arcs missions ; https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Epic_mission_arcs

Exploration sites can count as PvE missions,too,

brw there is a lot old cosmos agent missions in cosmos constellations if missed ; https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/COSMOS_constellation , ...

As you know Eve is huge universe & have huge content just must to be discovered.

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201

Well one thing to think about here is this is not a theme park game, most theme park games have missions that progress with you as you lvl telling a story with different mobs and landscape and it's built around the storyline. Sandbox games have a base storyline to start with and the rest is up to you.

There are actually a lot of missions in EvE but the issue is they all seem the same simply because the landscape is the same and so are the mobs.  Your always in a ship in space shooting things in space.

People always complain about the lack of PvE in the game, but really, how can it be any better then it is?

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    You can generally take the same skills you use for mission running and do incursions. Incursions are group oriented missions, basically, and pay good isk while requiring a fair bit of skills and a good ship. The only thing that makes any of the isk grinding bearable is either doing it with friends or a bit of danger and incursions have the friends part built in.
  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    PVE has been improved with new exploration sites and hacking minigames. PVE, however, is not EVE selling point. It can be enjoyable, ofc, but if you don't plan on doing anything else other than you will get bored pretty fast.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Since 2010 there has been new kinds of PVE. Wormholes, sleeper escalations and incursions with new AI are much more challenging than your traditional mission farming. Coupled with the risks associated with them, they take much longer to get bored with.
  • EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196

Never played an MMO with as diverse PVE as in EVE, and I've played nearly every English speaking MMO there is.

Sad part of the OP's story is that they considered PVE = Missions to be the truth.

Even Questing = Missions doesn't hold true in EVE, as you can set yourself to countless of quests, some fed to you by in-game mechanisms but the more interesting ones aren't.

This modest picture defines merely a part of what can be done in EVE, 2/3 of the list is non-PVP and what is certain the most enjoyment can be achieved by not doing things listed here. 

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/eve-wtd.jpg

Time to stop complaining about EVE PVE, and take a long look at the lazy boring guy in the mirror. 

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Eluwien

Time to stop complaining about EVE PVE, and take a long look at the lazy boring guy in the mirror. 

This is how things works  with eve fans image ,they come to defend something in eve CCP admitted guilt http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/374603

''EVE PvE systems, mainly mission running, are terribly outdated and are due for a change. Exactly how and when is not something we can state on the paper, but we had having several internal discussions on how this could be done. https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2462718#post2462718

They says stupid things to defende while it already accepted by devs  .Surprised ? NO

Btw dont play with words , OP asked PVE not what is possible in eve.

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Originally posted by jagd1

''EVE PvE systems, mainly mission running, are terribly outdated and are due for a change. Exactly how and when is not something we can state on the paper, but we had having several internal discussions on how this could be done. https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2462718#post2462718

They says stupid things to defende while it already accepted by devs  .Surprised ? NO

Based on the same false assumption that PVE = Missions. Missions are due for a change, but only at the most narrowest view of most boring person without any will to look outside the force fed mechanisms its the whole which consists of PVE in EVE. Devs confess that the mission mechanism is outdated, players long ago realized this and instead are doing other PVE which is plenty to go with. 

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

Originally posted by jagd1

This is how things works  with eve fans image ,they come to defend something in eve CCP admitted guilt http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/374603

I don't defend blind circlejerking and fanboying (because I hate it myself as well), but I got the impression the OP was mainly referring to missions. Since 2009 there have been new and more challenging and less derpy kinds of PVE. Sure, none of them are particulary amazing, but compared to the snorefest that is running missions, I think it was an improvement. I do agree most kinds of PVE are in needs of revamps, though, even if they aren't the main focus of the game. 

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

So far I've tried the following PvE stuff in EVE:

• Mining
    • Trading
    • PI
    • Missions
    • Exploration
    • Sites
    • Wormholes
    • Manufacturing
    And PvP side:
    • Faction Warfare
    • Bounty Hunting
    • Plus all the skirmishes when I've done the above PvE stuff outside hi-sec
    In my humble opinion (IMHO) I find all of PvE boring as fuck. PvP is more exciting, but even that is crippled by the immersion breaking spreasheet engine and lack of a physics model.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by tom_gore

So far I've tried the following PvE stuff in EVE:

• Mining
    • Trading
    • PI
    • Missions
    • Exploration
    • Sites
    • Wormholes
    • Manufacturing
    And PvP side:
    • Faction Warfare
    • Bounty Hunting
    • Plus all the skirmishes when I've done the above PvE stuff outside hi-sec
    In my humble opinion (IMHO) I find all of PvE boring as fuck. PvP is more exciting, but even that is crippled by the immersion breaking spreasheet engine and lack of a physics model.

I totally agree with you.

I think Eve is more fun if you get to know a whole load of people in your corp or alliance. However, I have not got the time to do that !  Maybe when I am retired ?!

• XanitraXanitra Member Posts: 26
    yeah
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Pve definitely needs the love, on pve there is no real long term goal - big expensive ships turn you into a target for Pvpers, nothing to buy as a
    Pve player appart from ships and stuff to I'm make more isk.

Things like shares and share trading, ways to fly extremely tricked out and expensive ships into dangerous pve battle with maybe rewards other than isk (achieves, titles, pve only implants, protected space stations as super long term play (with massive running costs and little profit but sexy). give Pvers long term goals and we would stay, not just dip in and out every 6 months)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Salenger

I used to play EVE, but even though it was one of the  most interesting mmos I have ever played it failed to keep me interested beyond 5-6 months, main reason for that was  the repetitive and very boring PVE aspects of the game...I loved the economy, crafting sandbox aspects...but a gamer does like some good old pve that doesnt bore one to death every now and then.

Just wondering if in the last 4-5 years if CCP has patched in any meaningful PVE to the game, and if there are any links to these improvements it would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

You have played the game more than I have, and I dont know if this is useless post for you, but perhaps there's something to gather from me :)

First of all, imo the mission running should not be a main focus in EvE since it is extremely repetitive, I like to rather juggle between different activities. Sure it requires a pile of skillpoints to do effectively, but what I've found to love in EvE is slowly get better and make bigger profits from even the most simple activities.

Run some mission, and then do some mining, do a bit of exploration, maybe manufacture stuff too, and play some market games. Repetition is a choise in EvE.

Few tips to make PvE more interesting:

Have different ships for missions. For example have a Gallente turret/drone boat, and also train for Caldari missile boat. When you change ships every now and then it feels different because you have a ship that handles differently. Gallente armor tanks and you micromanage drones, while Caldari missile ship shield tanks and is perhaps more straightforward but the updated missle visuals and behaviour is really nice these days.

You can combine exploration with mining too. Search for data and archeology sites, but have a miner fitted for gas harvesting if you find gas clouds, mark them up and go suck em up. With the wormholes you can jump from hisec directly to null, grab few exploration sites and then head back. Beware of the real wormhole space though, it's the most dangerous place in EvE, there's no local or security and everything shoots at you, the native WH NPC's are the toughest in game too.

Mobile tractor unit is the latest "big" addition to mission farming as far as I know. You drop it at the start of mission and it collects all the loot and sucks in the wrecks for you to salvage on spot. You can sit next to it if you are in sniper boat and have salvage drones out, it is completely automated process then basically. Beware though some people can come to your mission site and try to destroy and rob your MTU, it only gives them suspect flag.

If you havent done much PvP, the Faction War is a good place to start and you can even earn ISK there instead of loosing. Dont worry about killmail and dying, the veteran EvE players respect you more even if you have a killboard full of losses compared to it being empty, and are very helpful most of the time when asking questions.

There are often noob roams being formed by some more experienced members on the default corp channels or on channels made just for that purpose, you should look some of this up on the official site forums.

At the end of the day, the game is more PvP oriented, as it is easy to find your self in PvP situations even in hisec, but I think it only makes PvE a bit more interesting too, and everyone should at least try some of the (more or less) organized aspects of PvP too, and maybe find at least a fun hobby if not the main activity in game.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Pve definitely needs the love, on pve there is no real long term goal - big expensive ships turn you into a target for Pvpers, nothing to buy as a
    Pve player appart from ships and stuff to I'm make more isk.

Things like shares and share trading, ways to fly extremely tricked out and expensive ships into dangerous pve battle with maybe rewards other than isk (achieves, titles, pve only implants, protected space stations as super long term play (with massive running costs and little profit but sexy). give Pvers long term goals and we would stay, not just dip in and out every 6 months)

It's how you look at it. My goal at the moment is to train and acquire bigger and more specialized ships. Sure your special ships can be more easily targetted by other players, but that's not something you should look negatively about, the first thing everyone must realize in EvE that you will eventually lose your ship.

It's what keeps the game running, you cant just farm for the "best" gear and then you are done. Loosing ships and modules is what creates content. To get that ship again or something else in it's place gives you something to do again, and when you are done you have more skills and knowledge to be better with it.

In themeparks the only goal is to get epics, and then more epics, while in EvE it feels more like the goal is to simply become a better player through all the activities you do. I find that goal a lot more rewarding because it spans across the whole game and not just the gear from the latest raid, and more exciting since you make up the decision of how high risks you take in game.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    I can verify mining is still as stale as ever. Wish they would implement a system where you have to fight off npcs in order to successfully mine. Something that would require actual group play. As is stands, only excitement is when you see a local ganker show up in local and you hop to your pvp ship to pod him.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    There is actually a long list of things you can do PvE. Just expect little in terms of Gil returns from the large majority. Unless they remove PLEX and I never expect them to, that will never change. Of course people don't say what they mean. They don't want PvE. They want to plex their account.
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

This game has the best PVE to be found.

Unless, of course, you consider PVE to be missions and dungeon-type encounters, in which case that an issue with you, not the game.

<3

Originally posted by free2play
    There is actually a long list of things you can do PvE. Just expect little in terms of Gil returns from the large majority. Unless they remove PLEX and I never expect them to, that will never change. Of course people don't say what they mean. They don't want PvE. They want to plex their account.

To be fair, the only kind of pve I can think of with bad income is mining, and that's only because it's so trivially easy to multibox it on a large scale due to how abundant asteroids are in hisec zones. And because of this, it's only really worth it if you have a large fleet of 24/7 miners online.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Mission running.... improves if the stories are immersive... and the world around you is more dynamic and dangerous...

If you dont like good stories... you better not play MMORPG-´s  but MMOFPS... oor MMO action adventure..

But the RPG in MMORPG still stands for stories and lore...  

O just keep playing Eve..  which is a great concept for people that love this kind of gaming.... tough i technically dont see the RPG part of EvE and i would prefer to call it an MMO space combat simulation

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Ianb4allIanb4all Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Originally posted by Salenger

Ok after looking at the improvements/nerfs they have done for the upcoming summer patch- it looks like high sec pve players got hit hard with the nerf bat-

Lots and lots of low/null sec improvements with added bonuses to industry an stuff to try and get more people into low/null sec..

I fear however that all CCP have achieved is to finally kill off high sec industry players and such..........they are going to take a huge hit in subscriptions with their short sightedness and with them listening to the CFC alliance and such....all those people will move over to Star Citizen..

You may say that theres more subscription players then the high sec carebears/industrials but in null sec those players have had access to some very rich pickings for many years now and quite alot of them have enough ISK to buy plexes  and keep them going for a few good years.

So that leaves the high sec industry.mission runners who do pay a sub..after the massive nerfs to industry refining in high sec will have dire consequences for them.

All I can say is thank god for Star Citizen.....as much as I like eve (yes lived in nullsec/lowsec and high sec) I dont think it has much of a bright future left......they caved to the CFC alliance which none can really challenge now.......this is called a stalemate in chess!

With no PVE updates or no mention of it......see ya EVE ...Hello Star Citizen!!!!!

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

Umm.. what?!

You're saying that if EVE PVE is boring, it's only because I'm a boring person?! MORON!