Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firefall: Why isn't this the talk of gamers?

winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737

Hi.

Recently, I've been on a long-spree of finding the right game for me. I had been playing all the MMORPGS you could think of, mainly those with medieval, high fantasy elements yet also some dark-themed games. While enjoying some of them I never fully found the right one.

Until earlier today...

Firefall. I almost literally ran into that game. I didn't really expect this game to be this good. A friend told me it was similar to Borderlands 2, mixed with MMO elements such as Guild Wars 2, WoW but sticking with the action and dynamic gameplay of Borderlands 2. Of course, it has its own unique feel it's just one way of describing it.

Now, what I'm wondering, is why this game appears so out of the radar? Is there something that is keeping everyone from screaming their lungs out and discussing how unique this game is? I know as a newbie to the game I shouldn't praise it this much but so far it's been phenomenal. If anybody is inspired or willing to give this game a shot let me know and we can save humanity together. One alien at a time...

(wuw such epix pic pls u must pley)

Char name: Baconfist. (lite name #1337)

Class: Dreadnought (for now..)

LVL: No idea.

Comments

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

It seems like the kind of game that tries to combine two genres but just ends up being weaker in each as a result.

Want to play a FPS and PvP?  There are better games for that.

Want to play a MMORPG and PvE?  There are better games for that.

Well, that's just my uninformed opinion.  Guess that's why I never bothered to read up on the game or download it.

• DkuangDkuang Member UncommonPosts: 37

I've been playing since closed beta and even purchased a support pack, the $100 dollar one, which was the highest tier one you could get. Why? Because I enjoyed the game and saw it having potential so decided to give the guys at Red5 Studios my support.

That being said, I've only logged on like maybe 2 times in the past...oh 8-10 months? Why? Because the game, although nice in certain aspects such of 1 character being able to swap into any battle frame, just lacks so much more. I feel like I'm literally running around doing much of nothing and getting really nothing back for my efforts.

Crafting is borked and just a crap hole in my opinion not to mention its a cluster of confusion, ask a new player how they enjoy gathering and crafting yet?

No difference between your biomedic and the next, except the color. You'd of figured they'd make the weapon skins or the ungrades you got for your frame make you look different? Nope, not at all.

Super small world as well, I mean I can continue to bash and bash so lets not ok? The game does indeed still have some potential, they do have world events like GW2 and Rift *like you mentioned* but just like those games...so what if you don't participate? It literally does nothing for the game world, so why bother? Oh no, I'm bashing it again, sorry.

Ok back on point, Firefall could of and maybe will be made better? However, with what they've come up with so far, I'm just not interested in going back. Its enjoyable for the first few weeks, maybe a month, but after that boredom sets in quickly with the repeating, often linear, game play.

Best of luck to you and others that still enjoy it if you've never played it though that's for sure. And no, I'm not watching the progress of the game anymore.

You reap what you sow.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    Originally posted by Dkuang

I've been playing since closed beta and even purchased a support pack, the $100 dollar one, which was the highest tier one you could get. Why? Because I enjoyed the game and saw it having potential so decided to give the guys at Red5 Studios my support.

That being said, I've only logged on like maybe 2 times in the past...oh 8-10 months? Why? Because the game, although nice in certain aspects such of 1 character being able to swap into any battle frame, just lacks so much more. I feel like I'm literally running around doing much of nothing and getting really nothing back for my efforts.

Crafting is borked and just a crap hole in my opinion not to mention its a cluster of confusion, ask a new player how they enjoy gathering and crafting yet?

No difference between your biomedic and the next, except the color. You'd of figured they'd make the weapon skins or the ungrades you got for your frame make you look different? Nope, not at all.

Super small world as well, I mean I can continue to bash and bash so lets not ok? The game does indeed still have some potential, they do have world events like GW2 and Rift *like you mentioned* but just like those games...so what if you don't participate? It literally does nothing for the game world, so why bother? Oh no, I'm bashing it again, sorry.

Ok back on point, Firefall could of and maybe will be made better? However, with what they've come up with so far, I'm just not interested in going back. Its enjoyable for the first few weeks, maybe a month, but after that boredom sets in quickly with the repeating, often linear, game play.

Best of luck to you and others that still enjoy it if you've never played it though that's for sure. And no, I'm not watching the progress of the game anymore.

^This.  I am a supporter of this game.  I played for a few months straight earlier this year, but it is, by the devs own admission, a work in progress.  I think that is one of the stand-outs of this game.  I know it will eventually be awesome for when I'm in that fps mode.  Currently that itch is being scratched by BF4 for me.  I'll continue to participate in the game and their forums.  For anyone who has not taken FireFall for a round or three.  It is definitely worth the time.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    The9 their publisher has had financial troubles for a long time, they asked Red5 to go into beta way sooner than it should have so its short on content they took down PvP cause no one is doing it for a complete revamp, they fired a bunch of people , then hired a few back. Pushing back the melding to reveal larger game world is planned but i am guessing its way down the road. The CEO stopped posting on the forums. So like everybody has been saying not much to do, i would check back in a year and see what you think, but frankly i am not optimistic about the future of this game. Frankly I started playing warframe and Firefall fell right off my map. Only thing i loose is a open world which is not that great for a much better co-op shooter.
  • BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Personal taste. Too much cartoon.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Sci/fi and space themed games are not my cup of tea.  Im more medieval fantasy in the vein of LOTRO and GW2.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Tuchaka
    The9 their publisher has had financial troubles for a long time, they asked Red5 to go into beta way sooner than it should have so its short on content they took down PvP cause no one is doing it for a complete revamp, they fired a bunch of people , then hired a few back. Pushing back the melding to reveal larger game world is planned but i am guessing its way down the road. The CEO stopped posting on the forums. So like everybody has been saying not much to do, i would check back in a year and see what you think, but frankly i am not optimistic about the future of this game. Frankly I started playing warframe and Firefall fell right off my map. Only thing i loose is a open world which is not that great for a much better co-op shooter.

They were literally in beta for two years. You cannot use that as an excuse at all. It was Red5's own fault because they wasted a crap ton of money on things like the huge gaming bus, hiring an actor/ex-wrestler to promote their game (when it was still in beta of all times), and they poured a crap ton of money into changing the game over and over and over.

It's like they had no clue what kind of game they wanted to make.

Smile

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Well personally I noticed very early on that there just wasn't much to do. All of the events or tasks around the map are largely the same.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by SomeHuman

^This.  I am a supporter of this game.  I played for a few months straight earlier this year, but it is, by the devs own admission, a work in progress.  I think that is one of the stand-outs of this game.  I know it will eventually be awesome for when I'm in that fps mode.  Currently that itch is being scratched by BF4 for me.  I'll continue to participate in the game and their forums.  For anyone who has not taken FireFall for a round or three.  It is definitely worth the time.

I had high hopes for it. When black water was added to the game I thought wow they really have something here. The open world content was pretty fun for wasting time but this was really what I was after from the game.

Then they added the 2 new instances....lol is all I can really say. If that's all they have left the game is in big trouble.

Lack of direction over the last 2 years has been it's only real major issue up until now. I'm still waiting to see what else they bring to the game but that last installment was pretty disappointing for me.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Is this even out?

Or still in beta? Tried beta, was fun. But I don´t play BETAs forever, why, to lose all my characters on release?

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396

Great game, don't get me wrong, but jeez, the game engine will be out of date by the time the game is fully realized. Still the same zone, and patch notes seems to be minor fixes and busy work to me. I get the impression they have a dev team of 5 people. I don't play anymore

I don't get gaming development nowdays. its like more people have access to gaming, more PCs, more home gaming systems, more people on broadband, a much larger customer base, and it seems like the cost of making clones from 2004 has skyrocketed

half made games, browser games and low budget F2P games are all over the place

Guess with better technology means cutting dev teams and not making better games is the theme of the day

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    there just isnt much game there
  • NijohcNijohc Member UncommonPosts: 1
    i think they hyped it up too much during dev/beta and had a really long beta. interest just died out. i guess it's been officially released? i didnt even know...

John

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200

Gets boring and repetitive too quickly.

Came back to the game recently, and most of the skill class and crafting menu's confused the hell of out me.

• IylzIylz Member Posts: 107
  • plat0nicplat0nic Member Posts: 301
    I loved this game until they brought a patch out that basically turned it into a completely different game.  Too confusing after that.

Main Game: Eldevin (Plat0nic)
    2nd Game: Path of Exile (Platonic Hate)

• cenen7cenen7 Member UncommonPosts: 55

then run from event to event , which takes more time then the actual event, until bored and log out

the only part i enjoyed was pvp but it was removed

• ReymasReymas Member Posts: 23

It was fun for a day or two, but you'll find the events get very old very quickly, environments are same-y and while the combat is tons of fun, it's not enough to keep things going, not for me at least.

Had potential, but lacks any serious meat on its bones, IMO.

• JippiijooJippiijoo Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Was looking forward to this game when i first heard about it, and then i got to play it and it was awesome, it didin't have the tab+target nonsense that makes PvP horrible in every single mmorpg that its in, but then i got into PvP and realized it was just instanced and last time i heard they removed PvP completely, but if they ever introduce open world PvP and still reward the player for their accuracy/reflexes and not the basic rotation based meaningless button smash competition i will be all over this game, but it is always great to see aim based combat in MMORPG's and i hope it will become alot more popular in future.
  • CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136

Its not a bad game. Actually its a really nice done one and i really enjoyed it a month or two. The only prob is the lack of content and the map gets boring after a while.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

It is a good foundation for a great game.

It needs so much more to keep the player interested. I dont mind the slow and even brutal crafting system, the slow xp curve, and I love the battlesuits and feel of the gameplay. With a tiny landmass, very limited range of "events", and nothing deeper to really sink into it does get old fast.

More people, more map, more game and it would be more often played by me. Its like a really overdeveloped skeleton of a game. Recent news is a breath of fresh air to those of us who have been popping in and out for years. Maybe we will finally see more game soon.

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155

First time I did play it, I thought that it would be another success like WoW was. I did love that game and I believe this game was on the radar of many, until they started to fuck all up. I also spent some money into game and I thought its fantastic. I did lure bunch of my friends who also did spent some money, but then, they started to change all what was on the Firefall good. Always when someone did say on the forum that something is to complex or hard to get, they just switch that feature off in new patch.

There were so cool things like, when you want to go to instance, you had to craft a key for it. I think, it was amazing idea and they just remove it. It wasn't even hard, you could do it in day or two, but they removed it because of some assholes whining is hard. And there is lot of things like this. I mean, the original idea has sense, so why they destroyed it everything. 

I did check very fast last patch so I can be wrong, but it looks to me, that they even removed the melding mist from the melding pockets. Thats completely crazy, I don't understand. I did read so much complains from veterans, paying players on the forum on this. All what they do is, they are replying on the forum, that what players are saying is shit and that they (devs), knows that they are doing all right. I mean, if it would be true, they would have players playing this game.

Another thing is, why the fuck they aren't expanding the map? Its so small. Fun for two months maybe, but not for year. They did say so many great things about what will come, so, where the fuck its???

To me it looks like todays devs all see the World of Warcraft and all that millions subscribers and they think that if they don't have a 2 millions players  in beta, all is lost and they just star to mess with the game to try lure more people.

I am sure, that wow didn't have all that player first days, they came with strong community, which was made by the original first players. On the begging there was just game where to have best gear was matter of hard work. If they would on the beginning of WoW remove all the challenge, I dont believe the WoW would be so huge success.

But, the RED5 knows best, they know everything best. They could say that to landlord when he will come for rent and they will have no money to pay. They could say to him, they will pay him wit their great, valuable opinion.