Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leveling alts

flagged

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Pretty much right now, though they are planning for the next patch to increase experience gained for dungeons making it viable to level off doing just dungeons.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

They are making it so that there are other ways to level your secondary classes in the next patch.  The one they went into depth with was increasing the rewards for Dungeons and increasing the need / want to return to those dungeons.  They will also add a random dungeon feature so that you get increased Exp. and tomes if that's used.  In that they hope that the times to get into dungeons will be much less and that it will surpass FATE grinding in terms of getting experience for your characters.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    It won't be the case in 2.1 but for now I'm just fate grinding my alts.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I'm not sure if running the same mindless instances over and over is much better than FATE grinding lol, but after doing some FATE grinding, I have to say pretty much anything will be more fun. 
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    I'm not sure if running the same mindless instances over and over is much better than FATE grinding lol, but after doing some FATE grinding, I have to say pretty much anything will be more fun. 

Right now fate grinding far outdoes the experience gain from anything else.  In 2.1 though the exp from guildhests/quests/dungeons/leves is being buffed, in addition there will be a lot more quests to do so you don't run out after 1 character.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Pretty much right now, though they are planning for the next patch to increase experience gained for dungeons making it viable to level off doing just dungeons.

Those are good news.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Personally ive done it the old fashioned way.

Primarily atm i have a WHM , Why would i want to grind another class, she does what she does, so i went back to scratch, and with my 'added knowledge' and also all the storyline it took me about 5days of work to get to capped on a completly new toon PLD

The other 'bigger' reason for this is the ever decreasing wealth in game, once you have run the quests you have very little income, so why not just crate alt and bring in income again, yes there are few streams of income but all markets are crashing, flip side of the stupid crafting system, but at some point there will be (assuming game stays in current earning market) no gil left in game.

But i found it easier to level a new toon, in fact my 'n' r/l friend did it last week, and the only bonus he had over my XP was the quickness getting from new location > new location and use of mounts.

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Yeah, it's probably better to re-do the quests you've already done, that is rather exciting.

I personally don't understand the huge barrier to doing instances with your other classes, but the playerbase keeps saying we are forced to do FATE's (because they give slightly more exp over time) so yeah.

I'll just keep enjoying myself doing both FATE's and instances, so as the community would call it, "wrong".

Enjoying oneself is "wrong".

MMORPG community ladies and gentlemen.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Yeah, it's probably better to re-do the quests you've already done, that is rather exciting.

I personally don't understand the huge barrier to doing instances with your other classes, but the playerbase keeps saying we are forced to do FATE's (because they give slightly more exp over time) so yeah.

I'll just keep enjoying myself doing both FATE's and instances, so as the community would call it, "wrong".

And you're just a shining example of a member of an MMO community with all the baiting and snideness. I've waited for over two hours as a DPS for some instances, so it's really not a very reliable source of XP whatsoever. 

And you're just a shining example of a member of an MMO community with all the baiting and snideness. I've waited for over two hours as a DPS for some instances, so it's really not a very reliable source of XP whatsoever. 

It's as if I was posting on the mmorpg.com forums! Where anyone not baiting and being snide is being hopelessly naive.

You do FATE's while waiting for the DF invite. Simple as that. I've yet to go over 40 minutes as a DPS in any instance (after playing every DPS class to 30-40 range) so while it is unfortunate that you had to wait over two hours, does not make it a common occurrence whatsoever. It is an exception to the rule, the rule being that you can expect to be able to enter the instance within an hour of queuing up.

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

You know I level prolly different than most people, but that's how I enjoy the game. What I do is I que up for a dungeon, then while waiting on that I work on my hunting log and do fates if they happen to pop around the area i'm in.

I usually get in within an hour every time to. I play around 4 hours every afternoon, and I usually do 2/3 dungeons a day. I actually enjoy the pace of leveling in dungeons. Has more of an oldschool feel to it I guss. Fates is just mindless power leveling, never did like that.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

It's as if I was posting on the mmorpg.com forums! Where anyone not baiting and being snide is being hopelessly naive.

You do FATE's while waiting for the DF invite. Simple as that. I've yet to go over 40 minutes as a DPS in any instance (after playing every DPS class to 30-40 range) so while it is unfortunate that you had to wait over two hours, does not make it a common occurrence whatsoever. It is an exception to the rule, the rule being that you can expect to be able to enter the instance within an hour of queuing up.

Well, you must be a lucky guy then http://i.imgur.com/5ZOS4X9.png

I recently felt like playing some FFXIV again. I'm having a good time, but the dungeon finder can be frustrating. I'm not saying it's SE fault, but it is what it is. I've started to level my conjurer job to see if I can queue faster...

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

Originally posted by Krematory

I recently felt like playing some FFXIV again. I'm having a good time, but the dungeon finder can be frustrating. I'm not saying it's SE fault, but it is what it is. I've started to level my conjurer job to see if I can queue faster...

That's basically my experience as well. There's a screenshot floating around on the official forums of someone with a 6 hour queue time for one of the story instances that they've been trying to do for 3 days. If they haven't smooshed every server into the same queue yet, they need to. Either that, or tanks and heals really need way way better incentives to PUG to help out with queue times a bit. 

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

I was thinking the same thing. 

Seems they've already fallen into the trap of trying to appease players by "adding or adjusting things for better xp gain". It's always about the xp with these games anymore. Always about "making it faster and easier for players to level to end-game quickly, so they can spend all their time grinding the same content over and over". 

In a certain other MMO, there was plenty to keep you busy on all jobs as you leveled up, even on subs, because the game was built laterally, not vertically. Content was added across all levels, not just added to the "top", which worked because it wasn't a race to get there. There was value to completing content that had nothing to do with gaining xp, but rather benefited your character in other valuable ways.

ARR's clearly designed more vertically, and we see the results... the ongoing need for "more ways to get more xp so getting to level cap is easier".  Just like every other themepark MMO built from the same mold.

Well, their decision to use FFXIV to cross-market their other games (even if it's not part of the FF universe) is different... I suppose. -cue eyeroll-

Originally posted by Krematory

Nah, my experience is quite a normal one. But you on the other hand seem to be quite unlucky with the tank supply.

That's basically my experience as well. There's a screenshot floating around on the official forums of someone with a 6 hour queue time for one of the story instances that they've been trying to do for 3 days. If they haven't smooshed every server into the same queue yet, they need to. Either that, or tanks and heals really need way way better incentives to PUG to help out with queue times a bit. 

I can see how that would happen for the battleground instances.

Either way, the metagame of DF is already being handled in 2.1. More and more incentives to queue for the DF and not just instances but said battlegrounds as well.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by gramudo
    i quit playing after i realized how leveling your other jobs worked, either grind fates or leves, has this changed at all? or have the said anything about this changing? i really miss the world and the final fantasy feel. thanks!

Thats allways bee the core of the final fantasy system...  

A system with paalel leveling jobs requires a dozen time then content  of other MMO´s...  it was quite obvious in beta that they would never archieve that.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by TangentPoint

Seems they've already fallen into the trap of trying to appease players by "adding or adjusting things for better xp gain". It's always about the xp with these games anymore. Always about "making it faster and easier for players to level to end-game quickly, so they can spend all their time grinding the same content over and over".

I don't see how that is the case in the least. The point is to make the dungeons most relevant content instead of FATE's, which doesn't translate to a massive xp boost across the board.

No matter how you design your MMO the playerbase will flock to what is most efficient. Be it about killing crabs crabs and more crabs in the best one or two camps or spamming FATE's while ignoring everything else xp-wise.

Changing the way your playerbase progresses in the game does not translate to making the levels go by faster. That's just your bias talking.

• ShainnaShainna Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I stopped playing when i realized the same as the op (plus the fact of waiting sometimes hours for a frigging dungeon run). I do prefer story questing instead of anything else they have. Is there any rumors about adding those?

SE is already on their way to making the metagame about more than gaining that +1 item level. It's clear that the (hardcore) playerbase is resisting this trend as much as they can of course.

I can't equip all of my classes with ilvl90 equipment? I should care about obtaining equipment for their looks unless I want to be bored? I should care about decorating my house with items that don't give me 9000+1 power level? Money actually matters?

I should do things for the fun of it (or achievements), instead of being rewarded with shinies?

The game is vertical-oriented, that much is clear. It'll be hilarious to witness, though, how this forum in particular, full of cynical mmo vets who aren't even playing the game will be increasingly misinformed regarding the way the game is built in the coming months.

"Der is an item levelz so is liek WoW lolz"

Originally posted by Shainna
    I stopped playing when i realized the same as the op (plus the fact of waiting sometimes hours for a frigging dungeon run). I do prefer story questing instead of anything else they have. Is there any rumors about adding those?

Make an alt then, lol.

• ShainnaShainna Member UncommonPosts: 58

Make an alt then, lol.

I did, one for each city with different purposes but after finishing each city story the main story becomes the same, at least to the point i reached (about halfway i believe). If there was enough diferent story venues so, at least for part of the travel, there was something different to experience, i would be a very happy player. I know it's not the norm but i prefer the travel to endgame than the actual endgame in most mmo's.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

Make an alt then, lol.

I did, one for each city with different purposes but after finishing each city story the main story becomes the same, at least to the point i reached (about halfway i believe). If there was enough diferent story venues so, at least for part of the travel, there was something different to experience, i would be a very happy player. I know it's not the norm but i prefer the travel to endgame than the actual endgame in most mmo's.

What are you doing playing ffxiv then and not GW2

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Growing up, did you ever get invited to someones house for a weekend but when you got there they got all paranoid every time you touched their toys? Wouldn't let you do anything but watch them play?

That's the feeling I get in FF14. It's like Square want an audience more than a player base.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

In a certain other MMO, there was plenty to keep you busy on all jobs as you leveled up, even on subs, because the game was built laterally, not vertically. Content was added across all levels, not just added to the "top", which worked because it wasn't a race to get there. There was value to completing content that had nothing to do with gaining xp, but rather benefited your character in other valuable ways.

ARR's clearly designed more vertically, and we see the results... the ongoing need for "more ways to get more xp so getting to level cap is easier".  Just like every other themepark MMO built from the same mold.

Well, their decision to use FFXIV to cross-market their other games (even if it's not part of the FF universe) is different... I suppose. -cue eyeroll-

Non-vertical progression just means that those of us that actually care about and enjoy progression get bored faster because there are zero meaningful changes to your character as you "progress".

Lateral progression is a cop-out.  Instead of taking the time to try and balance power gain you just decide to make everything equal which homogenizes everything....yipee!  This type of content is only really enjoyable, in my opinion, by explorers and/or completionists.  Those of us that enjoy achieving...anything....will feel short-changed.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.