Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What mmo will ESO resemble most

12346»

Comments

• CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337
    Guild Wars 2. Very similar but with a Elder Scrolls theme as well as different combat.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by Classicstar

Mix between WoW and GW2 themepark.

This is not a Elder Scroll game.

It's as close as you can get to an elder scrolls game. Everything about ESO smells of skyrim, from the text boxes describing weapons and armor down to the music score.

Except that those things (the looks and sounds) are just icing on the cake that is Skyrim. But this is not why Skyrim is so popular.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495
    I had the same impression...
    Originally posted by Benjola

It reminds me most of Darkfall

Simmilar combat and sieges.

Better graphics though but lighter PVP mechanics.

Can't wait.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by someforumguy

It's as close as you can get to an elder scrolls game. Everything about ESO smells of skyrim, from the text boxes describing weapons and armor down to the music score.

Except that those things (the looks and sounds) are just icing on the cake that is Skyrim. But this is not why Skyrim is so popular.

Skyrim is probably the on that strayed the most from the TES formula. A lot of the fun and crazy stuff was removed. Whilst it was from a purely objective perspective it was the best in the series. It had the best combat, best crafting, best graphics and best animations out of all the TES games. But they removed many of the things we loved from TES.

Personally I think that Skyrim's story and progression is terrible. Most of the quests are meaningless and grindy thanks to the Radiant AI quest generator. The amount of gold you are given for finding a single golden claw is four times its worth. The Dark Brotherhood had the most boring assassination questlines compared to Oblivion. The Thieves guild barely required you to steal to earn your place in the guild. Back in Oblivion you had to actually be a good thief to become a valued member. Same goes for the Mages guild. In Oblivion you went from Guild house to Guild house to prove your worth. You didn't just say "Hi" to some Altmer standing by the entrance to the college and cast a novice spell that any Breton child could cast.

I think that Skyrim made it really hard to feel as if you had achieved anything with your character. Nothing required you to truly work for it. I'm not talking about grinding, but I'm talking about how little use spells were in the College compared to in Oblivion were it was the only place you could actually learn all of these epic summoning spells.

But yet, from a purely objective standpoint it remains the "best" in the series. And it is popular thanks to it. It is popular thanks to the instant gratification and friendliness towards new players. And I think that is great, that means more frequent TES updates. But it also means that the following games will most likely be there to try and please the new crowd.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Skyrim. I loved it. But just not as much as I enjoyed Oblivion and Morrowind because their flaws did not affect the over all progression and storyline which is what I really enjoyed with TES.

Sorry for the rant, but well, Skyrim really isn't anything but a new, shiny, layer of icing. The majority of the quests aside from Daedric and Main Storyline were utter shit. In Oblivion for example when you first enter Skingrad you are faced with Glarthir and pulled into a massive conspiracy. It all felt meaningful.

All Skyrim offered me was better combat and magic. Better graphics with better level design and of course Dragons. That was all. That is quite literally just an icing of a TES game. They were great improvements but they were given to me at the expense of good and meaningful storylines with a reward that made you feel as if you had achieved something.

Albeit, Skyrim doing away with the leveled weapons and mobs in Oblivion was a very welcomed improvement.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by asrlohz
    Originally posted by someforumguy

Skyrim is probably the on that strayed the most from the TES formula. A lot of the fun and crazy stuff was removed. Whilst it was from a purely objective perspective it was the best in the series. It had the best combat, best crafting, best graphics and best animations out of all the TES games. But they removed many of the things we loved from TES.

Personally I think that Skyrim's story and progression is terrible. Most of the quests are meaningless and grindy thanks to the Radiant AI quest generator. The amount of gold you are given for finding a single golden claw is four times its worth. The Dark Brotherhood had the most boring assassination questlines compared to Oblivion. The Thieves guild barely required you to steal to earn your place in the guild. Back in Oblivion you had to actually be a good thief to become a valued member. Same goes for the Mages guild. In Oblivion you went from Guild house to Guild house to prove your worth. You didn't just say "Hi" to some Altmer standing by the entrance to the college and cast a novice spell that any Breton child could cast.

I think that Skyrim made it really hard to feel as if you had achieved anything with your character. Nothing required you to truly work for it. I'm not talking about grinding, but I'm talking about how little use spells were in the College compared to in Oblivion were it was the only place you could actually learn all of these epic summoning spells.

But yet, from a purely objective standpoint it remains the "best" in the series. And it is popular thanks to it. It is popular thanks to the instant gratification and friendliness towards new players. And I think that is great, that means more frequent TES updates. But it also means that the following games will most likely be there to try and please the new crowd.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Skyrim. I loved it. But just not as much as I enjoyed Oblivion and Morrowind because their flaws did not affect the over all progression and storyline which is what I really enjoyed with TES.

Sorry for the rant, but well, Skyrim really isn't anything but a new, shiny, layer of icing. The majority of the quests aside from Daedric and Main Storyline were utter shit. In Oblivion for example when you first enter Skingrad you are faced with Glarthir and pulled into a massive conspiracy. It all felt meaningful.

All Skyrim offered me was better combat and magic. Better graphics with better level design and of course Dragons. That was all. That is quite literally just an icing of a TES game. They were great improvements but they were given to me at the expense of good and meaningful storylines with a reward that made you feel as if you had achieved something.

Albeit, Skyrim doing away with the leveled weapons and mobs in Oblivion was a very welcomed improvement.

I guess opinions are just that, opinions. For me I had the most fun in Skyrim. I'm still playing it. For me it was simply that the world felt more alive, less static, and the leveling system made more sense without the need to completely mod the whole game unlike Oblivion and Morrowind where I completely had to Mod the games to death to get close to the experience I wanted. The story is fine, maybe Oblivion I liked slightly better storywise, but it just feels more like a living breathing world to me and that is the most critical thing I look for.

There Is Always Hope!

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290
    Threads like this are what's wrong with MMOs, gaming, and this site. What difference does it make what ESO will most resemble? What happened to taking each game that comes out at face value and either liking it or not? What it resemble is entirely subjective anyway...so why ask?
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

People who say GW2 have no idea and have never played ESO. It is nothing like GW2, not the combat, not the questing, not the world zones, not the pvp, nothing...

People who say NW are completely wrong. It is nowhere near as instanced as NW. The classes aren't predefined as NW. The combat may look similar but is vastly different.

ESO is very much a TES game, but with MMO considerations. There will never be a Multiplayer TES.. because TES is designed for you to be overpowered, and you can do what you want because you only effect your gaming experience, not thousands of other peoples.

I thought the same as a lot of people did and ESO was way down on my list. After beta testing it, it rose quickly and is now in my top 3 interested games, with Wildstar and EQN. 

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by STYNKFYST
    Threads like this are what's wrong with MMOs, gaming, and this site. What difference does it make what ESO will most resemble? What happened to taking each game that comes out at face value and either liking it or not? What it resemble is entirely subjective anyway...so why ask?

Probably asking so he can hear our subjective opinions.

Mine is that the PVE most resembles SWTOR.

I'll probably buy the game and play through it.  I enjoyed the level 1-50 experience in SWTOR and as such I think i'll enjoy getting to max level in TESO.

No idea about the pvp.

But the comparison could be useful to those who either liked or disliked SWTOR.  Not that everyone is going to agree it is a good comparison, but I think many people will once they have played it a while.  (which is speculation and not and indicator whether I have or have not played it myself)

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744
    Originally posted by fs23otm

People who say GW2 have no idea and have never played ESO. It is nothing like GW2, not the combat, not the questing, not the world zones, not the pvp, nothing...

I agree, it is more like SWTOR than GW2. GW2 had good  a reason for grouping with public quest. ESO is a single player experience similar to SWTOR. Very easy to solo as well with not much thought needed, just go from one quest marker to another.

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    Kingdoms of Amalur

My friend worked for 38 studios, said the engine is incomplete and has a ton of bugs. I feel sorry for whoever buys that steaming pile. It's an in house engine that uses Bigworld as the server and Unreal for the graphics. They have nice art assets though.

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158

The one that should've never been released?  I've played in beta....I'm of the opinion that they need to fire the animators and modelers.  I'm serious when I say this game belongs in the early 2000s.  Besides that this game has absolutely nothing to do with The Elder Scrolls other than having an old man in a robe who sounds like Sean Connery telling you that a magic machine has blown up and your soul is in danger. *deep breath*  No shit.

I've only seen a few people do the "pole up the ass shuffle" in my day but it was either because they didn't have the normal motor functions of a sober human or they were screwed up on some sublime drug. 

All those years of dreaming about an Elder Scrolls MMO has come to this....  It's as if they had to spite me for spending so much mental energy frivolously.

That is what it all resembles to me.  If the 2lb log I just dropped into the toilet is an mmo then I would say that is where the dev team got their inspiration.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by Swids2010

Said this many times it could not be anymore like GW2 except it has worst graphics. I'd like to know what there plan for a year on because wvw which is same as cyrodil's 3 faction pvp which is also elder scrolls end game focus is not holding players in GW2 anymore.

Yet DAoC is still going on.  Maybe just having 3 faction PvP isn't enough?  Maybe you need solid game design around it as well?

I couldn't stand GW2's art design, if that's what you mean by worse.  Not saying GW2 looked bad graphically, just that some styles are more subjective.  I like ESOs look.

Its quite simple why GW2 is currently failing as an endgame game..

- there is no real personal rewards in  PvE, most games live from the geargrinding endgame

- there is no personal rewards from PvP (its where DAoC has realmtitles and realmpoints)

-there is no more personal story progression at end game

- there is no more character advancement at max level (its where EQ2 for example has a great AA system

All in all, the game actually stops as soon as you reach max level... and just leveling alts gets boring really quickly...

Yes i know there is an archievement system, but archievemensts are a nice way to track your characters progression... but not a means of progressing your character.

Not only ESO should learn from this, but all other MMO developers should... people that play MMO´s want their characters to progress..

And thats exactly why i say mmo's these days are swallow and not interesting anymore, becouse of gamers like you.

If you say GW2 is when reach max lvl 80 is boring you dont belong in mmo's you ruined the whole genre with millions of others rush rush rush want cookies and uberness in no time if you dont het it to fast, you say it sucks.

Guild Wars 2 have beautiful world its huge and so much to explore there are alot fun events and nice encounters with mobs and bosses.

Community the gamers like you have ruined GW2 not developers but eventually with all your demands they slowly change the game introduce uber grind instance treatmill and the open world that suppose GW2 was all about with its events is empty becouse you guys grinding whole day in instance.

Endless whining about trinity its disgusting how so many of you have ruined the whole game:(

Only if you get tier1-2-3-4-5-6 ext and with uber items your pleased as easy offcorse spoonfed generation.

When you reach lvl80 its not over but you guys firstly rush to 80 in no time and with cashshop and prolly exploits you have all your gear and materials you want then scream the game is boring and hop to next mmo rins and repeat.

Btw i can predict future, you guys will come here in couple of months saying same about ESO and hop on to next big thing.

Other predictions mmo's in 5 years time as we know it are gone, you gamers want on day one max lvl and godlike gear.  And then stand whole day in some virtual town bragging how good you are:P

• Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Personally i am thinking a  mix between SWTOR, GW2 and LOTRO 

I'm thinking SWTOR/GW2 as well. Why LotRO?

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Personally i am thinking a  mix between SWTOR, GW2 and LOTRO 

Your question "what mmo will ESO resemble most" is an ironic question.

Elder Scrolls Online should not resemble ANY MMO. It should be Elder Scrolls; Elder Scrolls that happens to have massive online capability.

Unfortunately, ZOS took the exact opposite approach-- they started by designing [insert generic MMO], then found themselves playing catchup with Elder Scrolls after numerous fan outcries. And they are still finding it difficult to catch up to this day. This is NOT the proper way to write the next chapter in Tamriel's history.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by djazzy

LOTRO with ES combat

I may or may not have played the beta and that may or may not have been the impression.

That sounds pretty good to me actually.

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222
    After playing it several times; it feels like a MMO ES which is what it's suppose to feel like. I can't wait to play it!
  • realitytripzrealitytripz Member Posts: 2
    Zenimax had a chance to innovate the ground sandbox with ESO, but they didn't. They chose the generic theme park route. That's just facts and those of you complaining just need to accept it. Like any other theme park, they've innovated just enough to call the game their own. Unfortunately, what I may or may not have seen has turned me off and I probably won't be buying it.

I'm sure others will enjoy it, but it just isn't for me. It's not the new groundbreaking sandbox that I was hoping for.
  • Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293

Call me crazy ... but im going to just make an educated guess and say everyone will just say its WoW with Elder Scrolls.

Why? Because its an MMO. It has quests, and combat. So of course every prepubescent mouth breathing internet drone is going to jump on the "WoW clone" bandwagon just like theyve been doing for the last 10 or so years for EVERY. SINGLE. MMO.

Its an MMO that plays a lot like what you expect from an Elder Scrolls game. Itll have its MMO similarities just like every other @#^$ing game that isnt a brand new genre! They wont bitch about  how CoD, Battlefield, Halo, Killzone or every other @#$&;ing FPS game out there is also similar in gameplay ... but god forbid an MMO somewhat resembles the genre it was developed as in even the minut(sp?)  detail!