Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much play do you get with the $20 Quad pack ?

I played around with the F2P about a year ago when I was out of town and in a hotel for two weeks, when I got home I kind of droped the game.  I must say It was fun and somewhat old school.  I never understood what you would get If you buy the game, and now would love to play a Ruin-Keeper......It seems to me that the main site has you running around in circles to understand what you get for what !

- So My question is if I buy the $20 Quad Pack, you should get 30 days free ?

- Then if you decide not to sub after that, you can play longer because it's F2P ?

- I would never pay a dime in a cash shop, just something about them.  I would pay a sub if I had to, but with the quad Pack I almost think you dont have to pay anything for a long time.....Right ?

It just seems Lotro.com site is full of fluff and no answers............The game seems good, but the site always pissed me off !

Comments

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

The quad pack is fantastic value for money but it is the first four expansions for one low price and doesn't include the basic game or any free game time. The content starts at around level 50

The best strategy as a freemium customer is to sub for one month after downloading the game, which makes you a premium customer and permanently unlocks various useful things such as some extra storage, increased gold limit etc. Read the site for full details. After the first month you can switch to pay as you go. You'll have enough content to keep you going until about level 35 without needing to spend any more money although spending a small amount on the basic horse riding skill, some extra auction house slots, storage space etc can make life easier.

After level 35, you'll need to buy some quest packs but not all of them to get you to level 50, which is when the quad pack content comes into play. That will then give you months of play and take you to level 85 without further cost if you're an average gamer. After that, you'll need the latest Helms Deep expansion to take you to level 95 to complete the series.

If you do it this way, you'll have five character slots to play with allowing for for alts

I believe the special price of $19.99 for the quad pack is temporary, maybe just this weekend, after which it will go back to $39.99 by the way.

edit: You don't need to buy any quests packs to get from level 35 to level 50 if you're a subscriber but once you stop subscribing you'll lose access to those areas the same as you would with any other game. If you buy the quest packs as a freemium player, you keep them for ever, for all your characters, which I would suggest is a better strategy.

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312

So the Sige of Mirkwood is the first game, with the Expantion Quad Pack you get Mirkwood that is not the base game !

Soooo you would have to pay $4.99 + $19.99 to get the deal ?.............Then get 30 days for free and be able to play a long time after the 30 days because it's F2P ?

No, the quad pack starts with Moria, which is for characters around level 50.

edit: Without checking the current price for the first month, that sounds about right. The the quad pack gives you Mines of Moria, Siege of Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard and Riders of Rohan expansions. All content is included with those. The only thing you missing after them is the latest one: Helms Deep.

Originally posted by reaperuk

Ok, but for $4.99 and $19.95 I will be getting everything I need for a long long time with no Cash shop ?

Originally posted by page975

Ok, but for $4.99 and $19.95 I will be getting everything I need for a long long time with no Cash shop ?

Thats enough to get you to around level 35 without having to spend any money in the cash shop but spending a small amount will make life easier. ie You can earn the horse riding skill in game for free at level 35 or buy it for peanuts at around level 8.. about 295 turbine points I think,

Thats enough to get you to around level 35 without having to spend any money in the cash shop but spending a small amount will make life easier. ie You can earn the horse riding skill in game for free at level 35 or buy it for peanuts at around level 8.. about 295 turbine points I think,

Is the Horse rideing skill all I would need from the cash shop ( at level 8 )......I'm sorry to be a pain, but I really hate cash shops, they killed several mmos that I enjoyed for years.

- Vanguard

- EQ

- D&D Online

I've got a lifetime sub that I bought in 2007 but I've also got a premium (F2P) account that I use for dual boxing. For that one, I chose to buy the horse riding skill, 10 auction house slots, and some storage space  from the cash shop. You don't have to but it makes life a lot easier for not much cost. I then bought the Evendim quest pack at around lvl 35, The Trollshaws one and the Misty Mountains one which took me to Moria. I did actually buy the Moria expansion a couple of years ago but effectively bought it again by buying the quad pack a couple of weeks ago when it was being bundled with Helms Deep at a reduced price. it was cheaper than buying the individual expansions.

One way or another, you need to spend some money to take you from level 35 to level 50  either by subscribing or by buying the quest packs. Well, you could level by simply killing mobs I suppose. It's your choice but personally I'd rather use the cash shop and make a one time purchase and have access to those areas for ever. I think I probably spent around $50 to get  to Moria. After that, nothing apart from expansion costs.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

If you play Free to Play and purchase the quad pack you will be able to follow the main story line quests that follows the fellowship. It does not give you a large part of the side quest lines in areas that make up about half of the map that existed before Moria was added.

It lets you play the main story quests through Ered Luin (Dwarf and Elf starter), the Shire, Bree, Ost Guruth, Trollshaws and Eregion. It does not allow you to play a majority of the quests in other regions unless you also purchase the quest packs. Twelve quest packs. At 600 to 1500 Turbine Points each or all of the quest packs for 4000 TP.  The average conversion rate is 100 TP to the dollar.

Horse riding skill is available in-game at level 20 without cash shop purchase.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

I'm very humble, and thank you for your post,

However I think I'm gonna pass on this one. It just seems that Turbine would like there players to be accountants. The web site had always seemed misleading and I'm very big on principals, they also seem to spent time on exploiting everything in detail of what players would expect to have naturally.

For instance I had found this :

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/vip

If you click on "compare benefits " at the bottom of the page you would see they are even playing games with limited chat. Sure You could simply become a VIP member and have most things for the monthly sub along with the suggestions given by Reaperuk.....but its trickery none the less.

So the deal is not necessary a great deal.......I like playing my mmos where everyone i'm playing with are on the same level playing grounds....everyone !......People should not be gimped in any mmo . After all you have to play along side them.

So anyway thanks guys for the help

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Cheeper then this it does not get..

4 full expansion packs, leading you from level 50 to 85, which is about 200 to 300 hours of gameplay. for every character you play in that range..  and many of the raids, dungeons and skirmishes comming with those expansions are still available at max level because they scale dynamicaly.

If you like the game,  you can not make a better investment... however it takes about  150  to 250 hours to reach level 45, which is a requirement to enter the first expansion Moria.

What else do you get for $20?  you can go to the movies with your girlfriend only once for that money.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

It's the next day and I'm a little more awake.....Ive re read the responses here a little better.

This is INSANE...........There is absolutely no reason for players to have to go through this....None !!!!!

Turbine is gambling that the population would not be smart in purchases.  Yes, some players have made a science out of making better choices only for what ?.....Maybe come out just OK ?

Everything on the LOTRO web site is deceitful. You have to read mounds of fluff and glitter to get an actual answer for the simplest purchase question. One of the mistakes I made was thinking is Siege of Merkwood was the the original game, and that you get a free month with it for just $4.99. Ok, I was wrong there is no original game anymore and you will NOT GET A FREE MONTH. So shoot me I was wrong !

Now, The new way I'm looking at it is you have two choices :

1) Buy the Quad pack, then sub each month and then you will have MOST of the game.  Now that's $19.99+$14.99 a month. That's $34.98 to start with ( don't forget you do not get a free month ). Then $14.99 every month.

2) Buy the Quad pack, stay a free player and get nickel and dimmed to death in the cash shop.  I wish someone could explain how owning four expansions and still needing to buy adventure packs is still not deceitful ?

So, this is turbines HUGE DEAL ?.....To me it looks kind of just ok, maybe, maybe not, this could go either way.

I have money to buy anything, but I will not pay $10 for a 12oz can of Pepsi !!

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I think it all depends on how fun someone finds the free trial.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

It's the next day and I'm a little more awake.....Ive re read the responses here a little better.

This is INSANE...........There is absolutely no reason for players to have to go through this....None !!!!!

Turbine is gambling that the population would not be smart in purchases.  Yes, some players have made a science out of making better choices only for what ?.....Maybe come out just OK ?

Everything on the LOTRO web site is deceitful. You have to read mounds of fluff and glitter to get an actual answer for the simplest purchase question. One of the mistakes I made was thinking is Siege of Merkwood was the the original game, and that you get a free month with it for just $4.99. Ok, I was wrong there is no original game anymore and you will NOT GET A FREE MONTH. So shoot me I was wrong !

1) Buy the Quad pack, then sub each month and then you will have MOST of the game.  Now that's $19.99+$14.99 a month. That's $34.98 to start with ( don't forget you do not get a free month ). Then $14.99 every month.

2) Buy the Quad pack, stay a free player and get nickel and dimmed to death in the cash shop.  I wish someone could explain how owning four expansions and still needing to buy adventure packs is still not deceitful ?

So, this is turbines HUGE DEAL ?.....To me it looks kind of just ok, maybe, maybe not, this could go either way.

I have money to buy anything, but I will not pay $10 for a 12oz can of Pepsi !!

2) you still have to pay for the zones that dont belong to the xpacs...  Unless you are a sub... If you own an xpac, all quests skirmishes and dungeons in it ate free

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Nope, Mirkwood was the second expansion, and it never contained a free month, since it was a digital one. (at least around here, I never saw a Mirkwood box)

For the two choices, it's amusing how folks keep forgetting the 1month sub route :) I know, mmorsel is long gone, but that guide is still plastered all over the web, forums, etc...

So yep, this $20 is a "HUGE DEAL" indeed. Here's a 3rd choice for you:

buy the quad pack now (because it's a limited offer), play for free until 30 (with multiple characters if you want), subscribe for a month, during that bring your character(s) to Moria (and if you're cheap enough you can get the riding skill for them as well ;) ), and after the sub is gone, you won't have to pay anything up until the end of Rohan. Plus, your character(s) will be vip one(s), with unlocked restrictions.

That's easily 3-5 months of fun (based on your tempo), for 20+15 bucks. I think it's a great deal...

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you are starting out this really isn't that great a deal because you will still have to buy at least some of the quest packs to get to 50 to start to enjoy the expansions.  All the quest packs together are currently priced at about $80.  If your already 50 or higher than this might make more sense.

That 30 days of free sub time however does give you access to the quest packs while your leveling as long as you are a subscriber so as long as you can hit 50 before you sub expires you can get by without buying the quest packs right?

I have a level 35 from launch stuck with no where to go without buying  quest packs so as I understand it even if I bought these expansions I wouldn't be able to level to 50 without spending more money.  Also I don't get the 30 days free unless I create a new account.

Not that I am dissing the game or this deal I just wish that they would include the Quest packs in this deal so that it truly represented all the content you needed to level to the newest expansion.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

I think Turbine still expects you to pay a sub if you like the game and views F2P more as "unlimited trial mode". It is *possible* to play through the game without paying a cent but expect to grind and be inconvenienced a lot (although having the Xpacks will lessen that a good deal...).  If you're looking for pure F2P something like Rift gives you a lot more for your (lack of) money.

Turbine games were designed around the assumption that people would be paying a sub every month and they haven't totally moved away from that. 

Originally posted by udon

That 30 days of free sub time however does give you access to the quest packs while your leveling as long as you are a subscriber so as long as you can hit 50 before you sub expires you can get by without buying the quest packs right?

Correct, that's the point of the 1month sub :) if you can get your characters to Moria during your sub time, after that you don't need to get the quest packs between lvl30 and lvl50.

After you reach Moria it doesn't mean s**t if you're a sub or not (content-wise, I mean), the only thing matters is whether you own the expansions or not. If you don't, your subscription won't help a bit. If you do, you can play it as a free player, fully.

I'll admit I have nothing to play.

I'm done with FF14 and don't think I'll ever go back. I've been doing an on and off thing between Vanilla WoW and GW2 but I need a break from both.

If I recall from a year ago when I had LOTRO on my cheap laptop in a hotel, I liked the fact that the game didn't hold your hand and the classes were deep. In some ways the game seemed a little boring and others intriguing. This was on a cheap laptop and the graphics set to low levels were bad.  On a 15" screen, overhead name plats were ridiculously overshadowing each other making it a little unbearable.  The audio was terrible too on a $400 Laptop

But putting this all aside. I could imagine the game would look and sound great along with room for customizable settings on a better home PC, and a 55" TV with a sterieo.

So I'm downloading the F2P right now on my Power PC, and I'll be playing in a few hours and go from there.

-  With the quad pack offer for $20 I could see myself paying the $14.95 sub for minimum one month, probably more, and this sounds acceptable. I guess I'll also need the riding skill at level 8, and I assume the free points I get with a VIP will cover that ( I think )

-  WHAT I DON'T LIKE IS THAT IT DOES NOT STOP THEIR !!!!!.....They want more from you....And to me that's shady ! ( I really hate cash shops ).  Adventure packs ?...they should be ashamed of them self's.  Yet they run sales and try and pretend their the good guys.

Question :

1 ) The F2P limited chat. Will prevent me from finding a good Kinship to help me decide. As much as my negativity sounds here, I am extremely sociable, helpful, and overall nice in-game.....I guess I could let that annoyance slip buy for free to play.

But, some of you talk about paying for the first month only to get you around adventure packs. If you stop VIP membership, don't you loose chat, and other important stuff ??

2)  If I decide to go full bore playing. I'll have to commit. So if having the quad pack, VIP membership, and getting the riding skill. IS THERE ANY OTHER MUST HAVES ?

3)  I'll probably go with Brandywine server. Are their many kinships that use voice chat that are for noobs? If so I'm good at rounding up other noobs to play with....After all it's an mmo.

My only gripe is with the MARKETING, not developers or players !

1 ) The F2P limited chat. Will prevent me from finding a good Kinship to help me decide. As much as my negativity sounds here, I am extremely sociable, helpful, and overall nice in-game.....I guess I could let that annoyance slip buy for free to play.

But, some of you talk about paying for the first month only to get you around adventure packs. If you stop VIP membership, don't you loose chat, and other important stuff ??

2)  If I decide to go full bore playing. I'll have to commit. So if having the quad pack, VIP membership, and getting the riding skill. IS THERE ANY OTHER MUST HAVES ?

3)  I'll probably go with Brandywine server. Are their many kinships that use voice chat that are for noobs? If so I'm good at rounding up other noobs to play with....After all it's an mmo.

Highres client setted to max looks great even on 55". As for the questions:

1) nope, it won't prevent you anything. The chat "restriction" is only that you can't send tells all the time, just (if I'm correct) 1 tell in every 30 seconds. It's only in there against the f2p spammers. In an average conversation you won't even notice it most of the times.

If you stop being a Vip, you lose access to the quest packs between Lone Lands and Moria, and access to PvMP. Your character restriction unlocks will (mostly) remain the same as it was during Vip. There was a thread earlier on this with a list of Vip features, where I commented what you'll keep from that list after a cancel. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5999345#5999345

2) If you're a Vip, then nothing is a "must have" (except the expansions of course :) ). Vips can get the riding skill for free so you don't have to buy that. There are convenience items, you can spend your 500TP/month stipend on them, but none of those are must have either.

3) I'm not familiar on Brandy (I have only a low level on there), but since it's a very populated server I think you'll be fine. For kins you can check around on the official Brandywine forum. https://www.lotro.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?78-Brandywine