Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Diablo 3: Hey Blizzard! Thanks for the Crusader!

Comments

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

Yep well Happy Thanksgiving, even if I'm a day behind lol.  Personally I have always loved my Monk and will be sticking with it for RoS regardless of class changes and whatnot, but even though 99.9% of us have not touched the beta I'm quite sure we will be seeing plenty of Crusaders when the expansion goes live.

I myself am thankful for the Blade and Soul open beta finally letting all of us Westerners in and have shown my thanks by doing little else except playing it for the past two days.  Heck, they even started up the OB on Thanksgiving!  (And they're in China and don't give a rat's butt about Thanksgiving, either!)

Hey we all have game aspects we try to be thankful for, especially considering the generally sad state of MMOs at the moment.  If you're happy and you know it about D3 or whatever other game tickles your fancy, then clap your hands or click your mouse or whatever.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    A great class can't change a mediocre game into a good one. I doubt Blizzard will ever do a real software jewel again. Blizzard is a name of the past. No thanks.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

That  doesn't explain why millions of people continued to buy it and play it months after it came out and still do to this day.  People have bought more copies of D3 than D1&2 combined. Even after the seething hate of the internet herd was splattered all over forums far and wide. Does it pain you so much that you can't admit that some people actually like the game? If I was a gold seller I would be mad about RoS. Try to keep up. Gold will be nearly worthless and you can't trade most items after loot 2.0. RoS is fixing nearly everything people complain about.  Be Thankful Blizzard Listens.

How many copies of 1 and 2 sold ?

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by Radoo

Meh, Diablo 3 was the fasted selling AARPG because it built upon the reputations of Diablo and Diablo 2, both games which were created by developers who truly had a passion for the genre they were working in and were gamers themselves making games for other gamers.

Diablo 3 in retrospect was made out of greed and the developers that worked on it are arrogant and rude. Need proof?

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/pc-games/that-loser/

I refuse to support Blizzard after reading that. They clearly no longer hire competent developers.

+1 and thanks for sharing.

Yet it sold more than 14 million copies and millions of people worldwide still play it every week.  I guess they all haven't got the memo about your "proof."  Or maybe they enjoy playing the game. You must be horrified. All those millions of fake posters  and shills having fun. How dare they. 

Clearly you didn't read the part where I wrote the only reason Diablo 3 sold that many copies was because of the stellar reputation of the first two games.

Diablo 3 would have never sold that many copies without those two games paving the way for it. People waited 10 years for the third game, so obviously they were excited. I doubt anyone was ecstatic about the RMT or DRM policies.

But who knows... You may be a gold seller for all I know.

That  doesn't explain why millions of people continued to buy it and play it months after it came out and still do to this day.  People have bought more copies of D3 than D1&2 combined. Even after the seething hate of the internet herd was splattered all over forums far and wide. Does it pain you so much that you can't admit that some people actually like the game? If I was a gold seller I would be mad about RoS. Try to keep up. Gold will be nearly worthless and you can't trade most items after loot 2.0. RoS is fixing nearly everything people complain about.  Be Thankful Blizzard Listens.

Wow, are you really that bad at reading? IT WAS BECAUSE OF THE REPUTATION OF DIABLO AND DIABLO 2! I think we can both agree that if you can't see that, you're just plain blind. 

Also, the console sold so many copies because guess how man AARPGs there are for the console...? Oh yah that's right...

Smile

Meh, Diablo 3 was the fasted selling AARPG because it built upon the reputations of Diablo and Diablo 2, both games which were created by developers who truly had a passion for the genre they were working in and were gamers themselves making games for other gamers.

Diablo 3 in retrospect was made out of greed and the developers that worked on it are arrogant and rude. Need proof?

I refuse to support Blizzard after reading that. They clearly no longer hire competent developers.

Yet it sold more than 14 million copies and millions of people worldwide still play it every week.  I guess they all haven't got the memo about your "proof."  Or maybe they enjoy playing the game. You must be horrified. All those millions of fake posters  and shills having fun. How dare they. 

Clearly you didn't read the part where I wrote the only reason Diablo 3 sold that many copies was because of the stellar reputation of the first two games.

Diablo 3 would have never sold that many copies without those two games paving the way for it. People waited 10 years for the third game, so obviously they were excited. I doubt anyone was ecstatic about the RMT or DRM policies.

[mod edit]. Like I said, people bought so many copies because Diablo 2 was loved world wide. They were expecting Diablo 3 to even be better as sequels usually strive to be better than their predecessors, but they were wrong as Diablo 2 still remains better than Diablo 3.

Also, want to know why it sold so much on the console? BECAUSE PLAYERS WEREN'T REQUIRED TO BE ONLINE 24/7 TO PLAY THE FREAKING GAME! That and how many AARPGs are there for the console? Oh that's right...

Smile

Apparently you can't read. Like I said, people bought so many copies because Diablo 2 was loved world wide. They were expecting Diablo 3 to even be better as sequels usually strive to be better than their predecessors, but they were wrong as Diablo 2 still remains better than Diablo 3.

Also, want to know why it sold so much on the console? BECAUSE PLAYERS WEREN'T REQUIRED TO BE ONLINE 24/7 TO PLAY THE FREAKING GAME! That and how many AARPGs are there for the console? Oh that's right...

I read fine. Apparently you don't understand games can't sell based on reputation of past games after about the first week. Bad sequels don't sell. D3 actually didn't sell worth a crap on console.  Considerably less than a million units. I only count PC sales.

Considering most of their PC sales were made when the game released and the rest over more than a year... Yeah, I wouldn't call their sales mind blowing or anything. You're honestly going to sit there and say the sales weren't because of Diablo and Diablo 2?

Let's see... Torchlight 2 was a much better game than Diablo 3 and was way cheaper yet still didn't manage to even come close to Dioablo 3's sales. Because Diablo was known as the king of AARPGs before the mess that is Diablo 3 came out. You really can't argue that. Well you can, but you'll be wrong.

Smile

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616

Apparently you can't read. Like I said, people bought so many copies because Diablo 2 was loved world wide. They were expecting Diablo 3 to even be better as sequels usually strive to be better than their predecessors, but they were wrong as Diablo 2 still remains better than Diablo 3.

I read fine. Apparently you don't understand games can't sell based on reputation of past games after about the first week. Bad sequels don't sell. D3 actually didn't sell worth a crap on console.  Considerably less than a million units. I only count PC sales.

You have to factor in many things; such as , the pc playerbase has grown exponetially over the past 10 years; due to pc parts becoming cheaper and more accesible. Also like others said diablo was a repuatable franchise made by a reputable company(Blizzard; although that reputation is sundering). The pure marketing put into the game was quite astounding(millions); I never seen a diablo 1 or 2 commercial on tv growing up. We were sucked into the hype and hyped the game even more based upon the features that were to be in game at launch; little did we know we didn't get a 1/3 of those features. Many gold selling companies were interested in the prospect of earning money legally through the game. 

If you take in account the like/dislike ratio you'd be 8:10 disliking the game in its current condition. 

Love how they are giving out infractions and removing posts that don't praise to whatever spew the writers are making articles about.

MurderHerd

Let's see... Torchlight 2 was a much better game than Diablo 3 and was way cheaper yet still didn't manage to even come close to Dioablo 3's sales. Because Diablo was known as the king of AARPGs before the mess that is Diablo 3 came out. You really can't argue that. Well you can, but you'll be wrong.

lol... you can't argue that torchlight was a much better game than D3 ? why not ? I didn't like it, so it wasn't better for me. 

Originally posted by DamonVile

lol... you can't argue that torchlight was a much better game than D3 ? why not ? I didn't like it, so it wasn't better for me. 

Maybe it wasn't better for you. But the majority of gamers who are fans of AARPGs defiantly can agree that Torchlight 2 was better.

It just didn't have millions to spend on marketing.

Smile

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

uhh no, TL2 is definitely not better than D3, neither is POE. D3 may have its flaws but its the best ARPG on the market right now.

sure sales had a lot to do with the fact that blizzard was making the game and that it is a diablo game.

but that aside, the game is just made better than anything else i have played in the ARPG genre.

saying TL2 is better is a laugher.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

But the majority of gamers who are fans of AARPGs defiantly can agree that Torchlight 2 was better. It just didn't have millions to spend on marketing.

based on what exactly? these forums?? you have the pulse of the entire ARPG fan base? lol

judging by your posts here, you must think your opinion is law. i would argue that the majority of ARPG players (i.e, diablo players/fans) never even heard of TL2

made up stats to back up your opinion just doesn't work i'm afraid.

Maybe it wasn't better for you. But the majority of gamers who are fans of AARPGs defiantly can agree that Torchlight 2 was better.

OHHH I didn't know I was talkign to the voice of millions....

I'm not the "voice of the millions." You want proof which one the playerbase liked better? Okay.

Look at the user score for Diablo 3.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii

Now look at the user score for Torchlight 2:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/torchlight-ii

Based upon that most players agree Torchlight 2 is better.

Smile

I'm not the "voice of the millions." You want proof which one the playerbase liked better? Okay.

yes that user group gave it a 3.3. Sounds legit when the real critics gave them the same score ( an 88 ).  IGN users gave it an 8.3 weird how that's way closer to what every paid critic seems to be scoring it.

Sounds more like you went looking for ppl that agreed with your opinion instead of actually finding out what " most" people think

yes that user group gave it a 3.3. Sounds legit when the real critics gave them the same score ( an 88 ).  IGN users gave it an 8.3 weird how that's way closer to what every paid critic seems to be scoring it.

Sounds more like you went looking for ppl that agreed with your opinion instead of actually finding out what " most" people think

That is what "most" people think. I just provided proof of it. And yes "PAID" (or "paid-off") critics did give it a better score, but guess what matters in the end? The players, and obviously from the horrid user score of 3.3 most players didn't like Dioblo 3 or hated the auction house, RMT, and always online DRM policies enough that they didn't feel as if it deserved a very high score.

On the other hand Torchlight 2 has a 8.8 user score and it had none of those problems... Huh, you think there just maaaay be a connection to that?

So yup, a crap ton of people did buy Diablo 3. Because of 1) the reputation of Diablo and Diablo 2 helped it make those sales. 2) Blizzard's massive advertising campaign for the game (Diablo 2 never had T.V. commercials for it). 3) An increased population of gamers. 4) The fact that people that signed up for the World of Warcraft annual pass got Diablo 3 for free.

In the end listing off how many units of Diablo 3 were sold proves absolutely nothing because of those four things.

Smile

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

That is what "most" people think. I just provided proof of it. And yes "PAID" (or "paid-off") critics did give it a better score, but guess what matters in the end? The players, and obviously from the horrid user score of 3.3 most players didn't like Dioblo 3 or hated the auction house, RMT, and always online DRM policies enough that they didn't feel as if it deserved a very high score.

On the other hand Torchlight 2 has a 8.8 user score and it had none of those problems... Huh, you think there just maaaay be a connection to that?

So yup, a crap ton of people did buy Diablo 3. Because of 1) the reputation of Diablo and Diablo 2 helped it make those sales. 2) Blizzard's massive advertising campaign for the game (Diablo 2 never had T.V. commercials for it). 3) An increased population of gamers. 4) The fact that people that signed up for the World of Warcraft annual pass got Diablo 3 for free.

In the end listing off how many units of Diablo 3 were sold proves absolutely nothing because of those four things.

And your whole post proves nothing as well.  When the expansion sells whatever percentage of the original, it'll deem whether the game has improved.  But to say that TL2 or POE are in the same category is a fluke.   I own both and neither are solid ARPGs.  Dungeon Siege(1) was IMO the closest thing to a successor of Diablo franchise than any other game produced.

Originally posted by kilun

And your whole post proves nothing as well.  When the expansion sells whatever percentage of the original, it'll deem whether the game has improved.  But to say that TL2 or POE are in the same category is a fluke.   I own both and neither are solid ARPGs.  Dungeon Siege(1) was IMO the closest thing to a successor of Diablo franchise than any other game produced.

Apparently thousands of positive user reviews for TL2 and thousands of negative ones for D3 proves "nothing at all." Alrighty... I guess denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

And yeah, the expansion will probably sell a lot. Simply for the reason because it's Blizzard and they spend a crap ton of money advertising and promoting their games. Not to mention you see Diablo 3 on MMORPG news sites like these... When Diablo 3 is no way or form an MMORPG.

Ever seen Torchlight 2 on here? No, and that's because they aren't spending massive amounts of money for advertisements like Blizzard is.

Also saying that neither TL2 or PoE are solid AARPGs just stinks of bias. Maybe you personally didn't like either one of the games, but they are still defiantly solid AARPGs.

Smile

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I think if you avoid the ah and just play it for the gameplay and story then the game itself is fantastic. The expansion will make this slot easier to do so it's all good.

Apparently thousands of positive user reviews for TL2 and thousands of negative ones for D3 proves "nothing at all." Alrighty... I guess denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

And yeah, the expansion will probably sell a lot. Simply for the reason because it's Blizzard and they spend a crap ton of money advertising and promoting their games. Not to mention you see Diablo 3 on MMORPG news sites like these... When Diablo 3 is no way or form an MMORPG.

Ever seen Torchlight 2 on here? No, and that's because they aren't spending massive amounts of money for advertisements like Blizzard is.

Wow had millions of haters giving it bad reviews. That didn't stop 12 million people from having a sub. Metacritic doesn't require you to actually even own the game, so wow you found a site that people can troll a game and this some how proves a point. Can you prove that even a single person that gave a review there actually owns the game ?

It just shows any fact can be twisted to ONE forum posters opinion when they need that ONE opinion to count for more than it really does. It wouldn't be good enough for you to say you think tl2 is better because who cares what one guy thinks. Now that you have a "most people" ohh suddenly it proves some fact.

Wow had millions of haters giving it bad reviews. That didn't stop 12 million people from having a sub. Metacritic doesn't require you to actually even own the game, so wow you found a site that people can troll a game and this some how proves a point. Can you prove that even a single person that gave a review there actually owns the game ?

It just shows any fact can be twisted to ONE forum posters opinion when they need that ONE opinion to count for more than it really does. It wouldn't be good enough for you to say you think tl2 is better because who cares what one guy thinks. Now that you have a "most people" ohh suddenly it proves some fact.

First of all, Diablo 3 isn't a sub-based game (for someone who is so heavily defending it, I'd think you'd know that...). Secondly I reiterate, "1) the reputation of Diablo and Diablo 2 helped it make those sales. 2) Blizzard's massive advertising campaign for the game (Diablo 2 never had T.V. commercials for it). 3) An increased population of gamers. 4) The fact that people that signed up for the World of Warcraft annual pass got Diablo 3 for free."

Most of my friends didn't even know about Torchlight 2 because it had almost no advertising at all, yet it still managed to hit a modest 2 million sales. Pretty good for a game that had such little advertising (in fact, I'm not really even sure it had any advertisements for it at all as I've certainly never seen any). On another note... All my friends knew about Diablo 3.

Smile

First of all, Diablo 3 isn't a sub-based game (for someone who is so heavily defending it, I'd think you'd know that...). Secondly I reiterate, "1) the reputation of Diablo and Diablo 2 helped it make those sales. 2) Blizzard's massive advertising campaign for the game (Diablo 2 never had T.V. commercials for it). 3) An increased population of gamers. 4) The fact that people that signed up for the World of Warcraft annual pass got Diablo 3 for free."

I think we're done here. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

The problem there is many aren't even reviewing the game in and of itself, they're reviewing the service. We saw the same thing with Simcity, XBOX one (before MS changed their policy), Ubisoft games, etc..etc.. Many are reviewing the DRM, and basing their opinion solely on that.

While it's fair to critique a game for anything that turns you off. It's not exactly telling of the actual game in and of itself. In terms of how it plays, how fun it actually is, how polished (which online had a huge and expected impact on that overall opinion. {it even turned into a bullet fired back at Blizz, EA, and Ubi policies}. DRM is simply a barrier, once you're past it it hardly diminishes game-play.

Personally I can't stand just about any isometric ARPG or hack and slash in general. The few I did were short lived thrills, and not much more. I have never liked diablo, but that doesn't cloud my opinion on this, people had a &^%$ fit over the DRM and bad launch, everyone saw that. That had to have an impact on those ratings.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/432/view/reviews/loadReview/236

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/432/feature/6745

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/432/feature/6739

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/432/feature/6691

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/432/feature/4544/Travis-Baldree-Interview.html

If Torchlight II was having an expansion, they would be talking about it. Diablo III is having an expansion and so they are talking about it. They rated Torchlight II higher than Diablo III by the way.

Originally posted by colddog04

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/432/view/reviews/loadReview/236

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/432/feature/6745

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/432/feature/6739

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/432/feature/6691

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/432/feature/4544/Travis-Baldree-Interview.html

If Torchlight II was having an expansion, they would be talking about it. Diablo III is having an expansion and so they are talking about it. They rated Torchlight II higher than Diablo III by the way.

Guess I missed those. 

Smile