Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Canada is Working on Open World Next-Gen Star Wars Game

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/66636/ea-canada-is-working-on-open-world-next-gen-star-wars-game

Kotaku's Superannuation has discovered a round of job listings for EA Canada. The game? A Star Wars title that is billed as a "major new next gen open world action game."

Also for anyone that didnt know, DICE is also making the next Battlefront and I am hoping it is with the Frostbite Engine of Battlefield.

This open world star wars game wont be based on any of the movies either http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=111647

Comments

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
    So is this for a MMORPG or more like a BF3/4 style of game? But Star Wars an d open world make me a bit giddy over it. 
  • Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I have a funny tingly feeling.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Sephros
    [mod edit]

Nope! Besides, not every Star Wars game has been bad. Quite the opposite in fact.

Empire at War, SW Battlefront, The Force Unleashed, the games of the X-wing / TIE Fighter series, the Dark Forces games, Republic Commando, the KOTOR games, the LEGO games, and many more have all been worthy of the Star Wars franchise, much more so then the prequel trilogy at any rate.

An open world Star Wars game would be mind-blowing if done right. Also, wasn't SW1313 supposed to be that type of title?

Sadly it's EA, but they are capable of producing quality titles. The Dead Space series has been consistently good, even if the third one followed RE's path into action gaming instead of remaining survival horror. Once the bugs got ironed out Simcity ended up being a worthwhile addition to that series. And so on, and so forth.

If it's bad, who cares? Add it to the pile of crappy EA titles. If it's good, then SW fans get a fun game to play. I'd rather they try & fail to make a good game, as opposed to not trying at all.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Sephros
    [mod edit]

Very few Star Wars games I've played are what I'd consider a failed attempt. The only few that come to mind have been mostly casual affairs. Like the Clone Wars MMO from SOE.

I can think of far more good to great games that were made around this IP. The JEdi Knight series, SWG, KOTOR 1+2, Empire at War, X-wing games, Rebel Assault games, Battlefront games, the NES and SNES games, etc...

As someone else stated, if it's bad so what? IF it's good..great. There's not much to be up in arms about here.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    If it's bad then it is going to hurt future SW games. For example, I got such a bad impression of SW:TOR and many other casual SW games over the years that I am not really excited by the announcement of yet another one. Star Wars is so dilluted as a franchise that it has lost much of its appeal, in gaming.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Lateris
    So is this for a MMORPG or more like a BF3/4 style of game? But Star Wars an d open world make me a bit giddy over it. 

Sounds a lot more like something  in the GTA  ballpark... Maybe a rework of the 1313 idea or some such.

This have been a good conversation

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by tawess
    Originally posted by Lateris

Sounds a lot more like something  in the GTA  ballpark... Maybe a rework of the 1313 idea or some such.

And I hope it will keep the bounty hunter protagonist, in 1313 it was supposed to be a younger boba fett.  I am thinking gameplay would be more like Batman Arkham games and Assassins Creed where you will get to use gadgets and stuff

Originally posted by Yamota
    If it's bad then it is going to hurt future SW games. For example, I got such a bad impression of SW:TOR and many other casual SW games over the years that I am not really excited by the announcement of yet another one. Star Wars is so dilluted as a franchise that it has lost much of its appeal, in gaming.

Bad games happen all the time, especially where film franchised incarnations are concerned. When has that ever hurt the future of anything being made? How many bad Marvel related games have there been? Plenty... Yet they still make them almost yearly, as with everything in games some are good some are not.

IF it personally turns you off of future games, that's not really anyone's problem but your own. IF reports are good would you buy it? IF that's a yes, it certainly didn't hurt EA.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    There is so little info about what they're actually doing. EA Canada has always focused on their sports titles in the past and mostly worked on console games. My guess is this is going to be a next gen console game as well.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    DICE does good work so the new battlefront should be pretty decent unless EA pushes it out the door 50% done.
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    There is so little info about what they're actually doing. EA Canada has always focused on their sports titles in the past and mostly worked on console games. My guess is this is going to be a next gen console game as well.

Most EA franchises make their way to PC though in some form or another. But I'd agree that the game will be built around playing with a gamepad not a keyboard and mouse.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Neither will this game be based on any of the movies including the new ones that are coming

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=111647

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I think this is a mass marketing push to make money from a well known IP but really bad business decisions by EA.

it is most certainly interesting news,but rushing another product just because you have the license to do so is bad opinions by their board.First of all they need another MMO attempt,not a single player game.Only this time they need to look at the word ACTION and see if they can actually pull it off.I did not need 100% action in SWTOR to enjoy it but i did  need some and NO not in instances or sitting looking for a Raid,i want Action in the form of EPIC invasions where players just get together to battle the invasion.

I do not want unlocking of areas or zones or linear anything,especially quests.I also do not want a random game that just seems to mix and match any kind of content for the sake of saying they have content,i want the game to play and feel like i am in an EPIC Star Wars game.

This is no different than when i was a kid going to see Star Wars for the first time,it was Epic,the whole family and some friends we were all excited and the movie did not disappoint.I don't  get excited in games anymore,i enter a game and i think "oh boy here we go again everything predictable.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    It's EA so i wouldn't get too excited.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I think this is a mass marketing push to make money from a well known IP but really bad business decisions by EA.

it is most certainly interesting news,but rushing another product just because you have the license to do so is bad opinions by their board.First of all they need another MMO attempt,not a single player game.Only this time they need to look at the word ACTION and see if they can actually pull it off.I did not need 100% action in SWTOR to enjoy it but i did  need some and NO not in instances or sitting looking for a Raid,i want Action in the form of EPIC invasions where players just get together to battle the invasion.

I do not want unlocking of areas or zones or linear anything,especially quests.I also do not want a random game that just seems to mix and match any kind of content for the sake of saying they have content,i want the game to play and feel like i am in an EPIC Star Wars game.

This is no different than when i was a kid going to see Star Wars for the first time,it was Epic,the whole family and some friends we were all excited and the movie did not disappoint.I don't  get excited in games anymore,i enter a game and i think "oh boy here we go again everything predictable.

Isn't that what EA do though? They release annual games that have mass appeal solely based on the games IP.

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Don't care what it's about!!!  IT'S A NEW STAR WARS GAME!!!!!!   :D :D :D

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Wizardry

All this from a job application posting ? I guess crazy town isn't a long drive for some people.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Sw is a hard franchise to do.all version lack a soul .swtor was it but some asked caused so much grief in such a short time that ruined in one week what took season to popularize.after ward it was never the same .player simply left.Ea always find ways to undo a good title they have . sw should not be redone yet . ea should create a new IP . which? Philip condoin world (Raymond e fiest book)I read all the top book and this is one of the few story I feel could be a success in game .another? The malazan book of the empire (if I recall)whiskey jack is in it .as good as pug story but way less RPG and way more action packed .just know toolan story alone is so emotional it would thaw any heart.you Think the secret world plot is thick ?Read the series (Steven Erickson is the author .those two book series are the best I ever read .in fact malazan is better suited for a game .Sw ? Screw that .malazan is way better material for a game.
  • FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906

Sweet.

If there is Jedi, I hope they look at Mount & Blade combat. Pick the best please:)

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• RewhymoRewhymo Member Posts: 53

BETHESDA MUST DO THIS OPEN WORLD GAME!!!!

that is all

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299

Exciting news, will have to keep an eye on any updates. I welcome any game that strives to create something better than those before it, and a Star Wars game is most definitely welcome.

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • cybersrscybersrs Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Star Wars franchise does not care if EA makes such bad game with their IP...

EA does not care if the game sucks, as long some people (not sure why) still paying for it...

Now we have to see ten more years with bad Star Wars games...

This world is doomed!
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by cybersrs
    Star Wars franchise does not care if EA makes such bad game with their IP...

EA does not care if the game sucks, as long some people (not sure why) still paying for it...

Now we have to see ten more years with bad Star Wars games...

This world is doomed!

What is "Star Wars franchise?" How does it have the capacity to care? Is it a person?

If you think that EA became the biggest publisher in the world (at one time, now second I believe) by not caring, they must be really lucky. 

"Some people" is a lot of people in this case. I don't like the game but that doesn't mean it sucks. 

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106

Oh BOY!!! EA IS ON IT! 

That means that I can spend money and get different coloured light sabres for my screenshots. Oh, and if I buy some of the day one DLC that was created instead of the team being put into bug control, I may also get a skin for free that has a value of $10.00!

How much do you think it will cost to unlock force lighting? Hopefully not too much, I'm only going to have $50-100 to spend on the game after the initial $89.99 for the deluxe version.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Another "Next Generation" MMO? What are we up to now, 45th Generation? Glad they tell us though. Otherwise, I wouldn't know the difference.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
This discussion has been closed.