Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WinRT being phased out ?

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-we-arent-going-to-have-three-different-versions-of-windows-7000023593/

At present, Microsoft offer plain-old Windows for Intel-based PCs and tablets. There's Windows RT for ARM-based PCs and tablets. And there's the Windows Phone OS for Windows Phones.

Microsoft seems to be thinking about creating some kind of hybrid OS that will bring closer together Windows RT and the Windows Phone OS.

And at least according to one of my sources, it's more likely that the Windows Phone OS core is what Microsoft will use as the starting point, rather than Windows RT.

If Microsoft is pursuing this path, there might just be full Windows and the new hybrid ARM-targeted variant of Windows in just over a year.

Comments

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    I think it makes sense.  Tablets and phones have almost the same hardware, in many cases.  They are both used to perform the same functions, often.  The only downside I see is the market for tablet-laptop hybrids might be reduced.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    As though Windows RT had ever been phased in?  Are there any Windows RT devices still in production apart from the Surface 2?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Quizzical
    As though Windows RT had ever been phased in?  Are there any Windows RT devices still in production apart from the Surface 2?

I was about to post that all 6 people who use WinRT will have a moment of silence. I know they were all hailing it as the next big thing since WinCE.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Are there any Windows RT devices still in production apart from the Surface 2?

yes

http://reviews.cnet.com/nokia-lumia-2520/

Review Date: 11/20/13

The good: The Nokia Lumia 2520 features fast gaming performance and LTE support out of the box. Xbox Music is an incredibly robust streaming app, and Nokia Music allows you to listen to songs you don't own without an Internet connection. It includes the full version of Office.

The bad: It's thicker and heavier than recent tablets, and its pointy corners are distracting. The screen has a yellow tint, storage expansion is only accessible with a key or paperclip, and the keyboard accessory isn't as comfortable to type on as the Surface 2's.

The bottom line: Unless you want a Windows RT tablet with cellular connection, skip the Lumia 2520 and get the Surface 2 instead.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Would of been nice if they would of had the phone, tablet and xbox all be able to run the same apps, or at least access to the app on other platforms for free if you bought it on one of them (linking stores more or something).