Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering buying this computer, will I be able to run modern games(and mmo's) with minimum lag.

SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

Instead of the radeon hd 6670 2gb it'll be coming with the better radeon hd 7770

AMD Athlon 750k 4.0GHz Quad core CPU

8GB of 1333mhz DDR3 ram

1TB hard drive (Not sure of RPM)

450w basic PSU

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    how much more for the 7870? i think you might get a worthwhile enough performance jump if the price is not too much of a bump up.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• LitestepLitestep Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I don't know  about the CPU/GPU balance  ...  but 450W PSU sounds too low.   
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    honestly, i'd see if Quizzical is around over the holidays and posts on this.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    It may play some games at med-high but you may regret that CPU and gpu in a year or 2 and wish you went with a 7870 or 7950.
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    With Black Friday almost here you could prolly snag a lot better one off new egg for cheap. Or if you don't mind learning and studying building your own PC is easy and can save a lot of money.
  • SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

This is it here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200906156137?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I'm not too sure how much the upgrade would cost, I've emailed them.

Sorry for not linking it in OP, college network wasn't allowing me too.

• WreathwoodWreathwood Member UncommonPosts: 4
    As has already been said, the PSU seems a little low for the kind of GPU's you are looking at. It depends on which brand you get of course, but i'd recommend getting something higher. It'll also give you more options for upgrades in the future.
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    The power supply is likely junk and would need replaced if you did upgrades in the future. The 7770 GPU is mid range at best, it's OK if you don't mind playing at medium settings but don't expect any more out of it, as games progress it will need replaced sooner rather than later. The CPU is also junk that will hold back any future graphics card upgrades.
    I'd imagine that they wouldn't ship it to me if the PSU was too low though
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Simple answer to your question is a 7770 and that cpu will be able to run most games on Medium settings I would imagine.

What worries me is the "450w basic psu"

If your getting this used and at a great deal then it may be worth a buy, especially if you can put a better psu in it.

Without more information its hard to give any advice better than that.

What your calling "lag" would actually be low or choppy framerate. Lag refers to network issues and is not gpu related.

Edit: I see you posted a link. No I would take a pass. The system is already dated badly and more than likely everything in it is cheap cheap cheap. You would be lucky to get through 12 months with it still running.

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Also has no OS. But overall just seems like a pretty basic computer. With the parts they used, its looks like they found the cheapest parts they could find and put it into a computer to get it to run games on minimal settings.
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by Sarariel

If you read the description it says "450W basic PSU". In Ebay speak that means it is cheap junk that they threw in there, it will be unlikely to even supply the full 450W and will have a good chance of failing, possibly taking other components with it.

In general Ebay builds are full of cheap crap with the odd headline parts to make them seem like good deals when they are in reality awful.

Thanks guys c:

I'll have a look on overclockers and such for something not too overly expensive.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Best advice I can give you on this is wait for Quizzical to comment on the topic.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Instead of the radeon hd 6670 2gb it'll be coming with the better radeon hd 7770

8GB of 1333mhz DDR3 ram

450w basic PSU

GPU is fine. It can run Battlefield 4 multiplayer on medium/high, so it should have no problem dealing with MMO's.

CPU is sub-par. Ditch it for at least AMD FX-6300 or better. You will not be able to get decent FPS in massive battles (either in shooters, MMO's, even RTS's, whatever you prefer.)

Get faster RAM (at least 1600 Mhz) and if money is the issue, 4GB will do fine. You will not notice the difference between 4 or 8 GB of RAM.

Hard drive speed is important for loading times, either for Windows boot or games in general. Aim for at least 7200 RPM, if not SSD, or even hybrid (Seagate Momentus XT).

Decent 450w PSU will have no issue with this configuration, even if you put 2x7770 in Crossfire. But, make sure you get decent (brand name) PSU.

• WreathwoodWreathwood Member UncommonPosts: 4

I'd recommend taking a look at some forums (I found aria pretty good, but there are a bunch of others) and get together a list of components, or at least a general spec. Even if you have no plans to actually build a pc yourself (it's easier than you may think) it'll give you a better idea about what is good and what isn't, when it comes to purchasing. Pre-built machines, even from reputable suppliers, can make use of less than desirable components.

I think I'll look at all the parts that are recomended and then see if I can get them all seperately and build it myself.

Would it be okay for me to link the parts this forum (either in this post or a new one) and receive feedback?

As it'd be my first self-built computer and I wouldn't want to mess it up.

• gkb3469gkb3469 Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Keep shopping. My computer is better than this pc and its almost 3 years old.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Looks sufficient enough to run most games with ease.

Joined - July 2004

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Looks sufficient enough to run most games with ease.

Yes but for how long?

A cheapo PC might boot up and run games for 3 months before going balls up. That does not make it a good deal.

@OP

State your budget and start a new thread for some recommendations

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Just a point of note, your PC specs won't reduce lag unless your problem was a weak network adapter.

Unless you're referring to other types of slow down that can be caused by any given component depending on where and what type of slow down is occurring. But if you're referring to lag as in network latency then you need to identify the cause.

If you're plugged in via ethernet cable then either the cable is old and needs to be replaced as some of the wiring may have become weak/loose with age or you're just on a slow network or behind many firewalls (which if you're at a University, may be the case).

If you're on wi-fi, then you have many different potential reasons for lag.

Obstructed from access point (i.e. too many physical walls between your PC and router) or too great a distance.

Old network card (b/g) upgrade to n or ac.

On a busy channel/frequency (download inSSIDer and find less populated channel - assuming you have admin rights over your router).

Poor compatibility between network adapter and router, rare but has been known to happen.

You have comcast and comcast hates its customers - and happens to be incompetent.

You're running software firewalls, some of them are resource hogs and are often ineffective, if you truly have sensitive information, get a physical firewall.

List can go on for a bit depending on other circumstances.

Apologies, I really did mean Frame rate issues with games on higher graphics/busier area's.

I wasn't aware that lag referred to latency only, sorry.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

Mate, read their own description. They claim that it's the cheapest PC they've made under $350, which means that they cut the price down from $549 as soon as they posted it. They are obviously cutting corners and playing the cheapest of marketing ploys ever. They know that the PSU is too low and they know that most customers don't know what PSU is.

I'd say that it's probably worth it for a budget PC that can run most games on Medium or higher but as the posters before me have said: mind the PSU.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

8GB of 1333mhz DDR3 ram

450w basic PSU

Freaky, I just bought that same setup cept with 500W lol.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Apologies, I really did mean Frame rate issues with games on higher graphics/busier area's.

I wasn't aware that lag referred to latency only, sorry.

In that case, listen to what others are saying about the PSU, def need more power. And I'm not a big fan of large HDD's (like 1TB) that's a huge file system to spin through even if it is amazingly fast. It will be your bottleneck.

I'd recommend going with 2 500GB drives or if there's an option, getting a smaller SSD and adding another when you're full. Most CPUs+GPUs are incredibly fast these days and increasingly people are finding that their HDD can't keep up with their faster components.