Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Non quest reliant fantasy MMORPG

MMOcamMMOcam Member Posts: 6

I am looking for an mmorpg that is not based around going from quest to quest. The game can be based around group dungeons or open world grinding. Things I look for in an MMO.

-Nice variety of PVE (Dungeons, public quest, random events..)

-Crafting not being very important.

-I also enjoy a good  diverse class system/talent system. My favorite games with nice systems are (Guild Wars 1, Raganarok Online, Rift) 

-A nice loot system where there is always a hope to find a unique rare item would be a bonus but not necessary. (randomized loot like diablo)

I am hoping to find a newer game that is like this. Examples of games I liked Mu Online, Ragnarok Online. I am also thinking about playing flyff (not sure though).  These games are all quite old, not sure if there are any new games based around "fun" grinding instead of a questing system. I am just looking for a game to hunt monsters in a group and being able to solo is nice but not necessary. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by MMOcam

I am looking for an mmorpg that is not based around going from quest to quest. The game can be based around group dungeons or open world grinding. Things I look for in an MMO.

-Nice variety of PVE (Dungeons, public quest, random events..)

-Crafting not being very important.

-Nice skill/talent/diversity and how each character can be played.

-Nice loot system where there is always a hope to find a unique rare item. (randomized loot like diablo would be nice but not necessary)

I am hoping to find a newer game that is like this. Examples of games I liked Mu Online, Ragnarok Online. I am also thinking about playing flyff (not sure though).  These games are all quite old, not sure if there are any new games based around "fun" grinding instead of a questing system. Thanks for any replies.

Let me know if you find one...this is what I want in a game too...I can't stand the questing mmo's.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

You just named FFXi but it is not free like those games you were playing and does not meet the loot you want.It is not a looting game.The rare items have to be camped waiting long periods for the rare spawn.Most of these rare spawns are around 2 hours but some can be days or even longer.Crafting is not needed even camping rares is not as you could just buy them but rares are expensive to buy.IMO i prefer to not have tons of loot because it fills bag space and wastes a lot of time sorting that out.I played EQ2 and the amount of trash loot i would get was actually annoying.FFXI is a multi class system that takes work to get all your classes up.The key to getting the drop rates is to be playing a Thief at the time,otherwise drop rates have very low %.

The game has changed so much now,you can solo or group or alliance,depends how good a player you are and how well you know the game.I don't think your going to play ffxi anyhow,i think your looking for free game to which there is no such game that meets your req.FFXI is older but not as dated as those games you mention,the game is huge,so takes some knowledge to find your way around.

EQ2 is free ,a MUCH better game than those you played but is a questing game,tons of loot but no events.There is no diversity,you play one class and really only need to use one type weapon.I mention EQ2 because as i mentioned there is no game that meets your req free or sub fee.Wow is sub fee pretty much identical to EQ2.

Most every single game reserves the best rares to boss encounters,your not going to find nice loot killing trash mobs.

Another option if looking for free is Runes of Magic.I at one time played the game through to max level but has since been raised.The problem is the game sort of leans towards use of cash shop to be really effective as a player but not totally required.Crafting is non essential and there is decent loot from bosses as long you can find a few players to help out.I multi boxed the game,not easy to do if not used to it.The one class has a pet that you could literally go afk and the pet will attack anything that attacks you.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MMOcamMMOcam Member Posts: 6
    Well I have played a lot of games. I am definitely willing to play final fantasy 11. It definitely seems like it might be the game for me. It is still $40 though but if it really is not about going from quest npc to quest npc that will be good. I really like the multi class idea and all of the classes. I for got to mention that I like a good class/skill system (My favorite is guild wars 1). FF 11 seems pretty good, then again it is quite dated too. Is FF 14 realm reborn similar at all? Or is FF11 the best game for just going out exploring and hunting monsters? 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

About the only non-quest focused MMORPGs might be the very early games -- EQ1, for instance.  Yes, there were quests, but the key to leveling was (and is) grinding.  You get randomized item drops in the form of Defiant Armor and Weapons instead of earning your gear through a quest.   There's a variety of things to hunt in myriad zones in almost every level range.  There are lots of classes and races to choose from, with plenty of skills / talents to improve (getting all your Warrior's weapon skilled to max level will take awhile).   Crafting is available, but has always been a time-and-money-sink, and isn't mandatory.  (Archery may be the most useful crafting skill if you use a bow -- and that's just to avoid paying bazaar prices for ammo).  It's even F2P, and the Vox server still gets quite a few new and returning players.

UO may also be similar to what you're looking for, but I've not had any experience with it this century.

EQ2, as someone mentioned above, is similar to EQ1, but is a lot more quest-focused.  You can ignore the quests, but you'll likely find yourself stuck, not knowing what to do or where to go next.  (Somewhere along the way, EQ2 got a lot more linear than I remember from its inception).

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.