Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinions & Experiences With AMD 7870 Cards

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I have a friend who's looking to get an AMD 7870 card. Has anyone here purchased one, and if so, were you happy with it?

He's currently running an Intel i7-9xx proc with an AMD 5850 card. Benchmarks show a doubling of performance (roughly), but early reviews showed some issues with compatibility.

Thanks for any responses, suggestions, etc. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I have a 7870 in my system. Bought it when they were released. I have the Asus DC2 edition with an I 5 2500k, 16gb RAM, Samsung SSD, ect ect.

When I bought it I upgraded from a sapphire 5850.

IMO for the price they are now its a great card and should be a good upgrade from a 5850, if thats what your budget allows. If he is willing to spend a little more then a 7950 would be a bigger jump and a good buy.

With my setup I can run everything at high or max, usually a mix of them. Examples Crysis 3, Far Cry 3 are a mix of max / high. Batman AO, AC: BF, ect are all on Max.

Granted I am usually getting around 45 fps, nothing special, but very very playable and fine for what I need.

If he wants 60+ fps then he may have to drop a few advanced settings a bit, or get a faster gpu.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Thanks for the response. They don't seem to be having any actual issues with game play or graphics, they just have an opportunity to buy a better card. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405

Just built a new PC and have one.

AMD FX 6350

4 GB RAM

I bought the Overclocked 2 GB Edition.

I'm able to run everything I play on Ultra High(FFIV,GW2,PS2) and it runs smooth, lately I've been playing a lot of Planetside 2 and in large battles it doesn't miss a beat.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

If I was upgrading my 5850, I would be upgrading to the 7870 or 7950 or R9 280x. However, what to upgrade to really depends on a couple factors, price, if its used, and if its a reference cooler. If its used, need to make sure it works. Price should no longer be retail price considering the release of the R9 270. Reference coolers are always problematic but will get the job done.