Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the controls like? And is the cash shop pay to win?

TekdTekd Member UncommonPosts: 65

Is the control system similar to WoW? (can you hold down both mouse buttons to run?)

Do you have to buy things from the cash shop to win?

Is there any chance of a free trial?

Thanks!!

Comments

• EncephalitisEncephalitis Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by NevadaJake

Is the control system similar to WoW? (can you hold down both mouse buttons to run?)

Thanks!!

Give me an email and ill send you a trial, then you can find out for yourself without any biased opinions.

• TekdTekd Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Awesome, thank you! PM sent.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Yes it's pay to win...if you don't buy the content you can't do it. So by most people standards of " if I have to pay, it's pay to win" that falls into it.
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Yes it's pay to win...if you don't buy the content you can't do it. So by most people standards of " if I have to pay, it's pay to win" that falls into it.

Arguably its pay to win, because you can almost buy capped out stats from the start...But all you're doing is reaching the inevitable. Its not like paying for more weapon/spell points lets you climb over the cap, it just gets you their quicker.

Also, if anybody else wants in on a 72h trial, message me with an email to send to. I've got the site open and i have plenty to hand out.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I'm doing the 16G download as I type.  There is a three day trial key on MMORPG.  I played Beta and was not too impressed, but I'm willing to give it a second shot for a few days.  If I like it, it's the cost of one trip to the movies and no sub.  I really wanted to like this game prior to the beta, so I'm hoping it is a little more polished and shiny. . . most imporantly: fun to play.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

Originally posted by SomeHuman
    I'm doing the 16G download as I type.  There is a three day trial key on MMORPG.  I played Beta and was not too impressed, but I'm willing to give it a second shot for a few days.  If I like it, it's the cost of one trip to the movies and no sub.  I really wanted to like this game prior to the beta, so I'm hoping it is a little more polished and shiny. . . most imporantly: fun to play.

I never played the beta or anything, but the game felt clean and solid enough a few weeks ago. The only thing that gets to me is the combat system...I mean, it works and all, but it feels like they should have just outright stolen DC universes fluid combat and ran with it. It would make things sooo much better (personally).

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I wish it was pay to win.  Maybe it would be more popular if it was.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Thanks!!

Yeah, best thing to do is use the trial key to test for yourself.  Also, before hopping in look over the stickies in the newcomer forum:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Cash shop is primarily cosmetics and potions (health, AP boosters), with some convenience items and weapons (not as good as what you get by playing thru an elite dungeon) for subs.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Encephalitis

Arguably its pay to win, because you can almost buy capped out stats from the start...But all you're doing is reaching the inevitable. Its not like paying for more weapon/spell points lets you climb over the cap, it just gets you their quicker. <snip>

Well "pay to win" is one of these vague snarl-phrases which gets thrown around on this site a lot with a meaning which tends to be private to the person using it. Let's look at the details for TSW.

You can buy boost potions which double rate of AP and SP gain (AP is used to purchase your active and passive abilities, of which only seven of each from the main ability wheel and one of each from the auxilliary weapon wheel can be on your bar at any one time; SP is used to purchase "skill ranks" with weapons and talismans, which give some minor passive boosts when using the weapon types in question, and more importantly determines the QL (level) of gear you can equip).

You can also buy AP potions directly that directly grant AP, in units of 110 (for 1500 store points), 50 (750 store points) or 25 (400 store points); the former can only be purchased one per day.

1500 store points are a little over 10 UK pounds.

To be fully "capped out" requires 1155 SP & 9975 AP for the main ability wheel, 175 SP / 1750 AP for the Auxilliary weapon wheel as it currently stands and 600 SP / ~60,000 AP for Augments.

In any case most actual stats are from gear; the only equipment you can buy directly for cash shop store points is not quite as good as QL3 green (i.e. the best gear easily obtainable from ordinary mob drops and mission rewards in the starter area). "Veteran" gear (alluded to by Ortiwig) is statwise on par with what drops in Elite dungeons in primary stats, but have no secondary stats until you put a glyph in it, and one month's subscription will get you enough veteran points to buy one piece: a full gear set for a single build is seven talismans and two weapons.

So sure, you can sub for a year in advance, spend a small fortune on 25AP potions to get to Panoptic in a few days, step into Fusang in your shiny blue Veteran gear with no glyphs, and get one-shotted. "Pay to Win" . . . yeah, right.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by SomeHuman

I never played the beta or anything, but the game felt clean and solid enough a few weeks ago. The only thing that gets to me is the combat system...I mean, it works and all, but it feels like they should have just outright stolen DC universes fluid combat and ran with it. It would make things sooo much better (personally).

After another determined shot at this, it's the combat system that has finally nailed the coffin lid on this one for me. Try as I might, I just couldn't get to like it. In fact the more I persevered, the more my dissatisfaction with it increased.

So, to all those who enjoy the game - keep it going and keep this unique game alive.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Originally posted by dancingstar

Arguably its pay to win, because you can almost buy capped out stats from the start...But all you're doing is reaching the inevitable. Its not like paying for more weapon/spell points lets you climb over the cap, it just gets you their quicker.

Well "pay to win" is one of these vague snarl-phrases which gets thrown around on this site a lot with a meaning which tends to be private to the person using it. Let's look at the details for TSW.

You can buy boost potions which double rate of AP and SP gain (AP is used to purchase your active and passive abilities, of which only seven of each from the main ability wheel and one of each from the auxilliary weapon wheel can be on your bar at any one time; SP is used to purchase "skill ranks" with weapons and talismans, which give some minor passive boosts when using the weapon types in question, and more importantly determines the QL (level) of gear you can equip).

You can also buy AP potions directly that directly grant AP, in units of 110 (for 1500 store points), 50 (750 store points) or 25 (400 store points); the former can only be purchased one per day.

1500 store points are a little over 10 UK pounds.

To be fully "capped out" requires 1155 SP & 9975 AP for the main ability wheel, 175 SP / 1750 AP for the Auxilliary weapon wheel as it currently stands and 600 SP / ~60,000 AP for Augments.

In any case most actual stats are from gear; the only equipment you can buy directly for cash shop store points is not quite as good as QL3 green (i.e. the best gear easily obtainable from ordinary mob drops and mission rewards in the starter area). "Veteran" gear (alluded to by Ortiwig) is statwise on par with what drops in Elite dungeons in primary stats, but have no secondary stats until you put a glyph in it, and one month's subscription will get you enough veteran points to buy one piece: a full gear set for a single build is seven talismans and two weapons.

So sure, you can sub for a year in advance, spend a small fortune on 25AP potions to get to Panoptic in a few days, step into Fusang in your shiny blue Veteran gear with no glyphs, and get one-shotted. "Pay to Win" . . . yeah, right.

+1

Although I'm pretty certain the Timed AP Boosts do not affect SP gain. 

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy
    Originally posted by dancingstar
    <large snip>

+1

Although I'm pretty certain the Timed AP Boosts do not affect SP gain. 

They don't. Timed SP boosts were added later. I phrased that a little carelessly: "you can buy potions which double AP gain rate, and potions which double SP gain rate" would have been a better way of putting it perhaps.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Is it pay to win? Of course it is!

You buy the box and then you can play with maybe the most unique and well-written mmorpg's out there, which is easily a win itself. So pay (for the box) to win :)

Jokes aside, as others wrote the store is mostly for cosmetics, pets, titles, those kinda stuff. Only the Issues (dlc's) are not available for free, but even those are fairly cheap, and worth their price.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

nah there's zero pay2win in TSW

controls are great, can't believe how action combat it feels after trying FFXIV,  l love TSW even more now

• MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226
    There's nothing in the game you "cannot beat" with .4.4 custom. That said, you cannot buy .4.4 custom, and you cannot buy .5 upgrades, which are kinda pointless, but pretty. So, jokes aside about B2P model and expac purchases, no, it's not P2W.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The controls are fairly standard MMORPG controls, but movement plays a role in combat. It is possible to just stand there and take a beating while clicking buttons, but you'll have far fewer resurrections if you move out of the fires. I did not find the combat very exciting, but it's not something that really gets in your way either. Outside of combat movement is pretty smooth and animations look pretty good. Visually it looks ok.

Not sure about p2w stuff. I never saw anything in the cash shop that would give me a win anywhere. I saw mostly pets and clothing options.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Does two-button mouse run work like World of Warcraft (and Ryzom and Entropia Universe)? Or do you have to use the keyboard to move?

I am attempting to download the client right now :) thank you for the buddy key.

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314

Keyboard to move.

And this game is nowhere near pay to win.  The potions and boost you can buy are pretty trivial in the larger scheme.  The item shop is mostly really cool clothes, the DLC (And what one poster said is incorrect.  You can do some of the content that DLC has.  You just can't access all of it.  This is not pay to win, these are mini-expansions.) pets and titles.

TSW is a game of skill and thinking.  The combat is just fine and requires you to think and plan.  I think you will enjoy the game a lot.  Just don't go into it wanting to play it like WoW.  It is not like WoW at all....

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Does two-button mouse run work like World of Warcraft (and Ryzom and Entropia Universe)? Or do you have to use the keyboard to move?

I am attempting to download the client right now :) thank you for the buddy key.

Yes, 2 button mouse moves you forward, same as in other MMOs.  There's also a reticle combat mode you can use by pressing T.

What is the best server for someone who lives in PST (GMT-8)? I am downloaded getting ready to dive in.

Which is the oldest server? Are there special servers for PVP? Etc?

Also, regarding the Grand Master Packs, is there any reason to buy one of these before I create a character, or after? Are the freebie items bound to the first character you create, or is there a way to transfer between characters?

Is there an RSS feed for the official forums - if so, what is the address?

Thanks!!

What is the best server for someone who lives in PST (GMT-8)? I am downloaded getting ready to dive in.

Also, regarding the Grand Master Packs, is there any reason to buy one of these before I create a character, or after? Are the freebie items bound to the first character you create, or is there a way to transfer between characters?

(I skipped the rss one, I have no idea if there's any or not)

TSW has single server tech, so server selection at the character creation is only matters if you plan to pvp most of the times. All other aspects of the game are "unified", so you can questing, doing dungeons, chat, having a friendlist, form cabals (guilds) etc. with all the players, cross servers. With that, the different timezones aren't an issue since you are on the same place as everyone else in the game - except pvp.

Oldest server, I think all of them launched at once. There's pvp on every server.

Grandmaster pack is the lifetime sub. The only reason for buying it is because you like the game :) It has only a +10% discount compared to the regular subscription, and of course that it's cheaper on the long run. The "freebie items" are in the regular subscription as well. It's account-wide, so every character on the account can claim it, no need to transfer it among them.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

It's a single server cluster and there is cross realm play, so it really doesn't matter so much. Although as far as I know the physical servers are located on the east coast of the USA (except maybe the foreign language servers, not sure). In my experience it's more based off what Cabal you're in and I haven't really seen any server completely favor one time zone or another, aside from maybe the language specific ones.

There are no PvP specific servers but there are RP specific servers and a server for each German and French language.

The items in the packs are always available to every new character you make on that account from now until the end of time, even afaik if you make the character before you buy the pack. Although the actual gear items will probably become obsolete fairly quickly depending on how fast you "level" that it won't matter.

Is there an RSS feed for the official forums - if so, what is the address?

Not that I am aware of...

Hope that helps...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

fwiw, there is really no need to have more than one character.  the only difference is about the 10 min intro, unless they have changed things.

you can have every skill and every spec on 1 char, and the content is a blast, but it uses a lot of its luster if you know the results of the missions prior.  The majority of my enjoyment, was trying to figure out some of the quests on my own.  I tried a 2nd char and it was missing

• DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701
    does anyone else have a trial key by chance?
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

fwiw, there is really no need to have more than one character.  the only difference is about the 10 min intro, unless they have changed things.

you can have every skill and every spec on 1 char, and the content is a blast, but it uses a lot of its luster if you know the results of the missions prior.  The majority of my enjoyment, was trying to figure out some of the quests on my own.  I tried a 2nd char and it was missing

There are 3 character slots, because there are 3 factions...

While 1 character can do every role and learn everything in the game, for a collector-type of a player (or an altoholic) it worths to start all 3, there are faction-unique outfits, quests, and sometimes different dialogues on the same mission.

Ok, I know it's not much... :) but I for example rather play through the wheel unlock again than farming for weeks and chasing the actual best ql stuff :)