Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which old school MMO did you like the most?

My criteria for being old school is pre-WOW. Everquest was my first but I liked SWG more.

Comments

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

DAoC was one of the best designed MMOs of all time. It never needed instancing, and the game was balanced against itself almost perfectly, until the second expansion. Not to mention, it allowed for battles bigger than most modern games could handle.

I do REALLY regret not playing UO though.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

No EVE, Shadowbane or Earth and Beyond? 

/sadpanda

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• I voted EQ but pre-Planes of Power expansion
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Lineage 2 and Vanguard.

I actually like Ryzom a lot.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

/sadpanda

EVE was pre-WoW? Large oversight sorry.

• thundergodtthundergodt Member UncommonPosts: 31
    no Anarchy Online? that was my first and still most fav
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Lineage 2 and Vanguard.

Vanguard is not pre WoW.

• munsil42munsil42 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Voted SWG, but damn I miss Earth and Beyond!
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Lineage 2 and Vanguard.

^what he said.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    EQOA specifically the EQ: Frontiers. I think it was an extremely underrated game and it is unfortunate that so many people missed out on this spiffy version of Norrath. I absolutely loved the alternate xp system that let you purchase racial specific abilities... this is what races need now, something that sets them apart and alternate xp purchase systems should be in every game.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Anarchy Online.  I had no clue it was as old as it is.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Anarchy Online

Earth & Beyond

Neocron 2

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    UO and SWG (funny because I  never really thought about SWG as 'old school'until recently)
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

/sadpanda

I second Shadowbane and Earth & Beyond. I enjoyed the former in spite of its PvP component because I played with friends. Had it not been for that I probably wouldn't have bothered. I will say that I do miss my confessor sometimes though; I've never seen, heard of, or played a class in any other MMORPG quite like it. Both the mechanics and the lore were fantastic. It was basically a combination of fire mage, blood mage, and overzealous priest. Good times.

Earth and Beyond is the first MMO I played which I really got into. It was more 'Everquest in Space' than anything else, and was a crazy good time to play. Ships were customizable, your avatar (also very customizable) could walk around in stations, there was atmospheric flight and missions... basically everything that EVE needs to be a complete game, IMO (and everything the community recoils away from, sadly).

The classes were capable of doing fine on their own, but the mechanics actually managed to encourage grouping without penalizing solo players for anything other than extremely specific activities.

Those bastards at EA shut it down because although it was making them money, it wasn't 'profitable enough'. Shortly after closing it they killed off Westwood Studios. Pretty much the same situation as Paragon Studios & NCSoft, really.

Yet another classic game & developer destroyed by those assholes.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    SWG will always be my favorite, though Dark Age of Camelot is very close.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Voted FFXI. I still think about going back at times, but there's almost zero point now as I'd be starting from scratch and thinking about  the amount of catch up I'd have to do to actually participate with the rest of the population makes me feel physically ill. 
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Earth and Beyond

Dark Age of Camelot PRE Trials of Atlantis.

EvE Online PRE Exodus.

I honestly cannot decide which of these were better. They were all vastly different, yet all good. That's probably why I can't decide. I love variety.

I should have left EvE after Exodus, but stayed too long.... I missed out on "old" SWG (JTL/RotW time) by literally only hours. Worst mistake I ever made in this MMO hobby. SWG NGE I feel was only a shadow of what old SWG must have been.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

SWTOR.

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

Voted Asheron's Call, but would have been a tougher decision if one of the options was Anarchy Online.

• shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324

Absolutely can not beat the community in SWG pre-NGE -- beyond the skill system and all, the community that was encouraged by the housing and city building and guild and cantina-healing battle fatigue entertainment system?  Plus, best player housing system TO DATE.  WTF folks?  Is it that hard to catch up with something that was that good when WOW came out?

Which is why there are so many SWG vets with PTSD out there.  The system naturally encouraged community ties that were organic.

Current game systems naturally encourage game play that minimizes the obligation to ever interact or know anyone.  Reputation systems have to do with NPCs, not with your rep with other players.  Ryzom, SWG, Eve and a few other games were/are good at creating a sense of exception to this through community mechanisms, politics, etc.

It may be that it takes a niche game.  But it may be that we need to figure ways to sustain niche games -- we can't sustain but so many re-skinned WOW clones...especially now that F2P tears down all loyalty and staying power with any particular title unless there's very very clever game design, marketing and community management involved. (maybe irresistable IP but that can get so easily pooched...)

Originally posted by RebelScum99

SWTOR.

Old School. Sure. OK.

Pass it already, it must be good stuff.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

AC, UO, M59, EQ and DAoC all hold a very, very special place in my heart.

If I'm forced to pick just one, AC it is :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Earth and Beyond

EvE Online PRE Exodus.

Someone add a +1 feature to this forum, dammit. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Earth and Beyond

EvE Online PRE Exodus.

Someone add a +1 feature to this forum, dammit. image

+1 acknowledged and granted. Thanks ;)

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    DAoC.