Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List of all 'world-building' sandbox mmorpgs

cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230

Hey all I wanted to see if I could put together a master list of all these 'world-building' (player created buildings / clan cities) sandbox mmos that have been coming out lately.  I know I have to be missing a bunch.

the repopulation

pathfinder online

camelot unchained

greed monger

wurm

xsyon

life is feudal

Embers of Caerus

archeage

earthrise

Divergence 

Peria Chronicles Online

Any more?

Comments

• cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by DMKano

CU is now a sandbox?

Wurm Online - done by 2 guys, they are up to 3 people now. Doesn't get more indie than this and the game is actually out.

I heard some people saying it was, i haven't done too much research.  I thought I saw a video about how you could create houses / clan cities so I added it.

• Chosen1Chosen1 Member UncommonPosts: 37

You can also transform the land, dig caves, cut and plant trees, whatever is possible in RL - you can do in Wurm.

And FYI - wurm was the predecessor to Minecraft. Yes, wurm was made by Notch. He simply dumbed it down and made more "user friendly", and woahla we have minecraft.

It's a real shame that people aren't aware of Wurm :(

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Might have to establish some elements other than "sandbox" to describe the games you are referring to. That word has entered the subjective, mutable realm that all catchphrase terms do here on the forums. As such, you are likely to get more debates about the nature of what a sandbox is than a comprehensive list.

For example, CU has a balanced-based class structure and defined, unchangeable factions so most would consider it an "open-world rvr" game even though it incorporates player-created content and deep building/crafting focus.

For the sake of participation, I would possibly throw Embers of Caerus and Life is Feudal in there.
    Originally posted by PerfArt
    Might have to establish some elements other than "sandbox" to describe the games you are referring to. That word has entered the subjective, mutable realm that all catchphrase terms do here on the forums. As such, you are likely to get more debates about the nature of what a sandbox is than a comprehensive list.
    For example, CU has a balanced-based class structure and defined, unchangeable factions so most would consider it an "open-world rvr" game even though it incorporates player-created content and deep building/crafting focus.
    For the sake of participation, I would possibly throw Embers of Caerus and Life is Feudal in there.

changed the title to the feature i was specifically looking for

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Camelot Unchained is definitely not a sandbox, unless there are hidden features we don't know about yet.

For now, it's a theme park PvP game, just like DAoC.

did a quick google search as i was not sure about this myself it looks like they do have something planned

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained/posts/462972

• MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226
  • driver4hiredriver4hire Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Divergence should go on that list but I do not think it will ever see the light of day.

Currently playing : World of Tanks, LoL
    Waiting for: The game of my dreams
    Played: Everything
    Favorites being Eve, UO and SWG Pre-CU

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Camelot Unchained is definitely not a sandbox, unless there are hidden features we don't know about yet.For now, it's a theme park PvP game, just like DAoC.

You are categorically incorrect about it being a themepark like DAoC. Even a little research reveals this. It doesn't even have PvE progression, for example.
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Life is Feudal looks like a cross between Minecraft and Darkfall. What do you get when you take the building stuff sandbox and cross it with the most brutal full loot PvP sandbox? It could be a Frankenstein but it could also be the next EVE. Life is Feudal has Total War Rome style combat that allows one player to control dozens of characters at once.

Another contender is Peria Chronicles Online which is also targeting the world builder market.

Originally posted by Novusod

Life is Feudal looks like a cross between Minecraft and Darkfall. What do you get when you take the building stuff sandbox and cross it with the most brutal full loot PvP sandbox? It could be a Frankenstein but it could also be the next EVE. Life is Feudal has Total War Rome style combat that allows one player to control dozens of characters at once.

Another contender is Peria Chronicles Online which is also targeting the world builder market.

added keep em comin!