Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hey SoE this is how graphics and animations look like in 2013 games

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
Especially if your going to have parkouring and environmental interactions in your game. 

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Hehe its not really fair to compare Ubisoft to other game devs. Maybe Rockstar and possibly Naughty Dog, but those are elite game developers.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Seven years and 3,000 posts into these forums, and the difference between SP and MMO is still a mystery to you?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Seven years and 3,000 posts into these forums, and the difference between SP and MMO is still a mystery to you? 

This

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    2/10. You can do better than that. Show some footage of that sweet Ubisoft terraforming wizardry and their network code for facilitating a persistent world with thousands of players interacting with each other and the environment in super-high detail smoothly. SOE really needs to know this stuff, man. Wish you had posted this earlier so they had a heads up.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

like I said 2013 games, and that goes for mmos too.  Such as these mmos.  Hell they did it with Planetside 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_j9uKBmUEk&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIp7vZuYzoA&hd=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swy0_w8SnxA&hd=1

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

EQN is voxel based, so its visual limitations is even greater than general mmos, be glad it doesn't look like CubeWorld or Trove.

Voxel tech is a massive leap forward in both development speed, cost and manpower usage that also allows for player made content. It's a new start for the mmo genre, so yes, get used to 8-bit or 16-bit art styles, which seems appropriate somehow, but at least you have this one AAA developer pushing the tech to allow this graphical level.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Hehe its not really fair to compare Ubisoft to other game devs. Maybe Rockstar and possibly Naughty Dog, but those are elite game developers.

Im glad they are finally stepping into the mmo scene with The Division and Destiny. 

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

Fair cop about SP to MMO's, however the point about planetside 2 is valid latest rounds of optimization for the game have made it very good under load, though personnel experiences do differ.

Even if they just pushed up to near the level of PS2 I think all will agree it would look better, same engine but one looks like a re-rendering of WOW and the other looks well good. 

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Im glad they are finally stepping into the mmo scene with The Division and Destiny. 

Divison and Destiny are not MMOs.

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

So hey... I don't care about graphics and animations if everything else in the game sux.

What about that?

Originally posted by kruler

Fair cop about SP to MMO's, however the point about planetside 2 is valid latest rounds of optimization for the game have made it very good under load, though personnel experiences do differ.

Even if they just pushed up to near the level of PS2 I think all will agree it would look better, same engine but one looks like a re-rendering of WOW and the other looks well good. 

PS2 has pretty minimal customization for character models. That's why it can run FPS battles between 200 people and make it work.

Originally posted by zevni78

EQN is voxel based, so its visual limitations is even greater than general mmos, be glad it doesn't look like CubeWorld or Trove.

Voxel tech is a massive leap forward in both development speed, cost and manpower usage that also allows for player made content. It's a new start for the mmo genre, so yes, get used to 8-bit or 16-bit art styles, which seems appropriate somehow, but at least you have this one AAA developer pushing the tech to allow this graphical level.

But the character models arent voxels.  What made me make this thread was looking at the transition from running into vaulting over an obstacle and it did not look right at all.

• DigironoDigirono Member Posts: 86

This even more-so than the guy that responded with "You have been here how long and don't know the difference between MMO's and Single-player games?

Its animation style is a bit more cartoon-y, you can't compare it to the graphical style of PlanetSide 2 which is trying to make a serious Sci-Fi Shooter; might I also add that it's fantasy..not...Sci-Fi. It is a bit lackluster, but hopefully they are ensuring that they can at some point 'update' the animations, graphics, and overall look of the game. That's one failing that World of Warcraft has, they didn't make it to last graphically and animation-wise, and they didn't make it so that they could go back and 'update' things. I'm interested to see where this goes, a few things here and there have disappointed me, but meh. 

Originally posted by tom_gore

PS2 has pretty minimal customization for character models. That's why it can run FPS battles between 200 people and make it work.

But everquest isnt FPS style gameplay so it doesnt have to sacrifice character models for FPS mechanics like real time bullets and no where near as much particle effects as PS2.  And I dont mind if they lower the 2000 player to 1000 player limit per map, 1000 is still a lot.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

I did say pushed to near PS2 quality, I accept some sacrifices for the customizations but as I said the engine is still under going optimization  as is coming along very well, I just do not accept the gulf of difference between the two.

To maybe highlight my meaning a bit lets switch history a bit, say EQN launched before Planetside2 and everyone is told Planetside2 will be running the same engine, hold that thought for a minute then respond as if that was true.

Originally posted by Digirono

This even more-so than the guy that responded with "You have been here how long and don't know the difference between MMO's and Single-player games?

Its animation style is a bit more cartoon-y, you can't compare it to the graphical style of PlanetSide 2 which is trying to make a serious Sci-Fi Shooter; might I also add that it's fantasy..not...Sci-Fi. It is a bit lackluster, but hopefully they are ensuring that they can at some point 'update' the animations, graphics, and overall look of the game. That's one failing that World of Warcraft has, they didn't make it to last graphically and animation-wise, and they didn't make it so that they could go back and 'update' things. I'm interested to see where this goes, a few things here and there have disappointed me, but meh. 

Fantasy doesnt equal cartoony graphics

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

"Parkouring" isn't an accurate term. Parkour is the activity of performing various movements like say - karate. I'll go practice karate by performing kicks. I'll go practice parkour by performing vaults. There is no real karate-ing nor is there parkour-ing image

MMOs being compared to single play games never really adds up, and I've have to see more footage of EQN (preferably closer to finish) to really decide on it's quality.

Really because that public event with all those people in different groups at the end of the 12 minute gameplay video of destiny in that open world map screamed out mmo to me.  Same for The Division when they showed all those players on its open world map at the end and two groups of players running into each other and getting into pvp.

• OlafTheStoutOlafTheStout Member UncommonPosts: 21

I am totally with you.

Disney called they want their toons back!!!

• DigironoDigirono Member Posts: 86

No, it doesn't..however that's not what I was saying. That's the style they have chosen, you can't compare it to a game that doesn't have that same 'style', like PlanetSide 2. 

• MattatronMattatron Member Posts: 226

Let's say there are 100 toons in close proximity. Now there are 100 sources of data each participant must render in real time (including AI). That just isn't possible for most gamers' machines as you raise the level of detail, and add particle effects, shaders and ambient lighting... hey let's add more complex animation and see if we can actually make peoples' rigs fizzle and smoke.

On another note, the game you selected, while agreeably pretty, has pretty boring, repetitious gameplay. So you've chosen a graphic-intensive, shallow game and said, "why can't mmos be more like this".

No, it doesn't..however that's not what I was saying. That's the style they have chosen, you can't compare it to a game that doesn't have that same 'style', like PlanetSide 2. 

Im not saying it has to look like Planetside 2s style, im saying it can have high graphical quality like PS2 but have its own style too. 

Really because that public event with all those people in different groups at the end of the 12 minute gameplay video of destiny in that open world map screamed out mmo to me.  Same for The Division when they showed all those players on its open world map at the end and two groups of players running into each other and getting into pvp.

Two groups of what? 5 players each? The bar for MASSIVELY Multiplayer has really been lowered ;)

But yeah, anything seems to pass for MMO these days, even if everything is instanced and you can never have more than a handful of players in the same space.

Originally posted by Mattatron

Let's say there are 100 toons in close proximity. Now there are 100 sources of data each participant must render in real time (including AI). That just isn't possible for most gamers' machines as you raise the level of detail, and add particle effects, shaders and ambient lighting... hey let's add more complex animation and see if we can actually make peoples' rigs fizzle and smoke.

On another note, the game you selected, while agreeably pretty, has pretty boring, repetitious gameplay. So you're chosen a graphic-intensive, shallow game and said, "why can't mmos be more like this".

Every mmo I have played since 1998 had repetitious gameplay, doing the same hotbar rotation...123456...123456 on majority of battles.  I wish mmos were as fun as Assassins Creed gameplay.  Ship Combat, Climbing, parkour, Air Attacks, Pick Pocketing, All sorts of stealth positional attacks, real time ranged combat where you can aim even things like poison darts and smoke bombs, boarding and taking ships for new crew and crafting materials.  Have you played Assassins Creed?

But everquest isnt FPS style gameplay so it doesnt have to sacrifice character models for FPS mechanics like real time bullets and no where near as much particle effects as PS2.  And I dont mind if they lower the 2000 player to 1000 player limit per map, 1000 is still a lot.

We don't know how much customization EQ will have. I would be willing to bet it is a lot.

Anyhow, this has been debated a dozen times already. "Cartoony" graphics weather time much better than "realistic" graphics. Your example of AC4 will look pathetic in 5 years, whereas EQNext graphics will still look just as fine, although they are still "cartoony" and that doesn't fit everyone's taste.

Funnily enough, the most popular MMO of all times has "cartoony" graphics. Coincidence?