Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Serious] Please convince me this won't be another generic MMO without mentioning Landmark

Comments

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

Honestly, to me, it seems like Landmark was a holdover idea they were going to throw our way to get us a little hyped about Next. Then they realized everyone loved it and now they're scrambling to turn it into a full game. Note all the initial talk of Landmark didn't talk about it being a fully fledged MMO, it talked about holding people until EQN.

It sounds like this is going to turn into a very slapped together version of Minecraft with 1/10th of the features.

• gkslashgkslash Member Posts: 27

The game will be free to play. Convince yourself.

Thanks in advance!

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    It sounds like this is going to turn into a very slapped together version of Minecraft with 1/10th of the features.
    The reality might be that this is true but it certainly doesn't 'sound' like this is the case. The things they have suggested you will be able to do makes it a much more complex version of Minecraft. We just haven't seen enough to know which is the case yet though.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

I cant convince you, Sony is releasing a consumer version  of some of their dev tools and has somehow convinced everyone its early access to EQN and that people will step from Landmark into the game when it launches.  Its two different applications.

Its like me selling you 3studio and Photoshop (loaded with templates)  giving you a built in art pipeline to a runtime environment then telling you it was the next great MMO, we have reinvented everything!!

Without the distraction of Landmark.  I haven't seen anything in EQN that hasn't already been done in other MMO's.  They said they were going to reinvent the MMO.  It was all marketing hype.

Originally posted by Ender4

The reality might be that this is true but it certainly doesn't 'sound' like this is the case. The things they have suggested you will be able to do makes it a much more complex version of Minecraft. We just haven't seen enough to know which is the case yet though.

Oh for sure the BUILDINGS will be more advanced than Minecraft. No doubt.

But note that Minecraft didn't become a runaway success until they added a day and night cycle with attacking mobs, player made traps, food harvesting, and stuff like that.

I am fairly certain all SoE intended this game to be was a sandbox building game to stress test server code and mine for ideas and keep people talking about EQ until Next was done.

Now they're trying to turn it into a legit game and... I just don't think it's going to have much to it.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I am fairly certain all SoE intended this game to be was a sandbox building game to stress test server code and mine for ideas and keep people talking about EQ until Next was done.

i don't agree w you

ever since SOE Live, when SOE announced Landmark,

SOE spelled out what they intended during the Landmark panel

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/04/soe-live-2013-delving-deeper-into-eqns-landmark/

Landmark was always intended to be *any* theme, Scifi, Western, whatever

EQN is restricted to the Norrath theme

some gamers like yourself are only viewing Landmark as EQN lite, a game to make buildings for EQN

but Landmark is far more than that

Scifi, post apocalyptic, Western themes etc have no place in EQN

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Akuma_The_Wicked

This isn't a troll post. I want to love EQN.

EQ1 was my favorite game of all time. I loved EQ2 and WoW as well. Every game since has been the exact same formula with a different skin.

Convince me that this game is going to be different. What are the main points that are making it different than any other generic MMO out there? What has you sold?

Thanks in advance

EQN isn't built yet.  Just prototype ideas and concepts.  Landmark is the laboratory from which they will experiment and build EQN from what works and doesn't work.  The players of Landmark are the lab rats.  You can't have a discussion about EQN without Landmark because even though they are different games, one begets the other.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Now they're trying to turn it into a legit game and... I just don't think it's going to have much to it.

Based on zero research you've done on the game.  Okay....

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    OP

The plans SoE has laid out describe an MMO that is pretty different from the norm, from the world to the class system. Thing is, if you're really interested you should watch the videos. Asking for a blank opinion check here is not going to net you anything useful as those who have posted in-depth about what was actually said by SoE are tired of repeating it. You'll be left with some misinformed or incomplete information as can already be seen here.

Both EQN and Landmark have YouTube channels and are very informative, specifically the SoE Live reveal and panel presentations. Though not complete yet, what SoE is intending is really exciting for those who want something different IMO. You should see for yourself :)
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I should clarify that there are posters such as Nadia that post backed up info to a great degree. My point was to be wary of the source of information and watch the videos if you wish.
  • kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

EQ1 was my favorite game of all time. I loved EQ2 and WoW as well. Every game since has been the exact same formula with a different skin.

Convince me that this game is going to be different. What are the main points that are making it different than any other generic MMO out there? What has you sold?

Thanks in advance

Ok...

1.  Mobs use a new AI that will make them adapt to their surroundings (not something they are developing they say they have made it) All i heard was varying spawn rates,that is not making the game better,just able to handle more spam/speed killing when needed.This is also not creatures adapting,it is merely computer code that changes the spawn times.

There has been rumblings that a lot would like to see Nocturnal creatures that are much harder to fight at night but who knows if SOE is willing to do anything the players want.

2.  Desctructible world made of voxels that you can destroy with skills (you can even go underground like this)

They have worded it nicely but how destructible is it,it might just mean you can dismantle one block at a time and build it back up ,one block at a time.

3.  Guild Wars 2 style combat but with multiclassing (40 confirmed)

This is new for them to come out of their ALTAHOLIC shell but definitely nothing new to gaming.

4.  Parkour-style movement  This is a small nice touch but all automated,i get the feeling they might have been too lazy to test it from various distances ansd give the players the input keys  so decided to automate it.Even Emotes that games have you are allowed to trigger them,this automated design ruins the immersion of it.

5.  It's freakin' Everquest.  What more do you need?

I have really like the Everquest series,but it is really stale,they need some new angles and creativity.They could have licensed Physx and do their own work in many areas from physics to nicer models ,more animations in players.They could have even done their own destructible but chose to license someone else's hard work and it really imo is rather dated,it is better than Minecraft but still looks 15 years old.

In regards to your response to mob AI its not just varying spawn rates, its spawn locations even, mobs will migrate to safer territory if we give em enough trouble. To go along with that quests aren't done in your traditional manner either. Numerous quests done by one person will be completed and the next player that comes along won't be able to acquire that quest cause its already done, as in the world was actually effected and changed by the players and their decisions/actions, they've already stated thats all in and it'll work out to the point where playing on a different server can be a completely different gameplay experience because the world could be totally different from your original server based on the actions/decisions of the community there, that's all quite diferent from any other mmo I've ever seen :x

FreeRealms (2009) has 1 character w access to all classes and tradeskills

SOE has done multiclassing before

Originally posted by jdnyc

Based on zero research you've done on the game.  Okay....

Based on all the press releases and videos.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

Thanks in advance

This game (EQ Next) makes use of the mobs, lands, lore, and classes we all know and love from the EQ franchise. They are modifying everything to the point it will feel totally new, yet have familiar references. There is a whole timeline of content in this new game that is embedded in the earth itself. Hidden areas and foul creatures long thought extinct may be uncovered at any time.

The ability to multi-class and build up each class you unlock independently will also be a huge drive. The ability to tweak your class combos to overcome challlenges will obviously lead to months and years of fun. Taking active part in the history of a fresh new EQ will be alot of fun.

I think one thing the Devs learned with EQ was players liked the evolution of the world and progression of things so much that they would have progression servers. This definately feels like a direction that EQ Next will take big time. Main difference being that the world will progress or not, based on player actions or inactions.

Long story short....you may or may not be into what is comming, but I know all this has me interested. Just with they would step on the gas a bit....seems the progress is alot slower than I originally thought upon the reveal.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    Originally posted by Karble

This game (EQ Next) makes use of the mobs, lands, lore, and classes we all know and love from the EQ franchise. They are modifying everything to the point it will feel totally new, yet have familiar references. There is a whole timeline of content in this new game that is embedded in the earth itself. Hidden areas and foul creatures long thought extinct may be uncovered at any time.

How exactly does it say anything about the gameplay? That's pretty much a generic pitch for any game out there. There are supposed to be underground dungeons that are triggered by you digging a hole in the ground, but it's not, in itself, a great improvement over anything.

The ability to multi-class and build up each class you unlock independently will also be a huge drive. The ability to tweak your class combos to overcome challlenges will obviously lead to months and years of fun. Taking active part in the history of a fresh new EQ will be alot of fun.

I hope the alot will eat everyone who calls his name in vain. As for multiclass and tweaking you abilities, wasn't that the pitch for The Secret World and FFIVarr? As for building your own combos, that was the feature of that singleplayer game with woman fighting her way through memory-storing evil empire? Yeah, that could lead to whole HOURS of fun.

I think one thing the Devs learned with EQ was players liked the evolution of the world and progression of things so much that they would have progression servers. This definately feels like a direction that EQ Next will take big time. Main difference being that the world will progress or not, based on player actions or inactions.

The pitch for GW2. We all know how it turned out. 

Long story short....you may or may not be into what is comming, but I know all this has me interested. Just with they would step on the gas a bit....seems the progress is alot slower than I originally thought upon the reveal.

That nefarious alot again, be his fangs forever sharp. And if by "slower" you mean "they've got nothing, so far" - you are 100% right.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by goboygo
    I cant convince you, Sony is releasing a consumer version  of some of their dev tools and has somehow convinced everyone its early access to EQN and that people will step from Landmark into the game when it launches.  Its two different applications.

Its like me selling you 3studio and Photoshop (loaded with templates)  giving you a built in art pipeline to a runtime environment then telling you it was the next great MMO, we have reinvented everything!!

Without the distraction of Landmark.  I haven't seen anything in EQN that hasn't already been done in other MMO's.  They said they were going to reinvent the MMO.  It was all marketing hype.

This was my impression as well - but when I brought up the fact that EQL wasn't really a game, it was a dev tool with a shiny wrapper, people looked at me funny and said "No, you don't get it, it'll be great. It's just like Minecraft, except it's EQ - get it?"

They also were handing me kool-aid to drink.

It seems like if I wanted to play Minecraft, I'd play Minecraft. It seems they were developing EQN, 2013 hit and they said "Holy crap Minecraft is awesome" and they threw the entire thing in the john and started over. Now that the new EQN will be 2 years delayed, they are just pushing out one of the dev tools (of course with some monetization) in order to give people something to do - I don't really see any game to it... (of course, I feel the same way about Minecraft, so maybe I just don't get it).

EQN looks like WoW and GW2 had a baby, and you just say "Sandbox" loud enough and somehow that makes a difference. I am interested in Storybricks, but I'm not holding my breath about it, and if it actually turns out to be interesting I'll be pleasantly surprised and glad I was wrong with my expectations. When it actually releases. My money is on March 2016.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Also, a word of caution:

The original Everquest has had 3 separate expansions each feature destructible, alterable, or dynamic environments as a feature. Huge print - large marketing bulletpoint, lots of hype about how this would change the way you played the game because now you could alter the geography around you.

In LDoN, it consisted of being able to break open a box, and the box would appear to break.

In Prophecy of Ro, it consisted of being able to defeat a door. And when defeated, the door would open. You could also defeat a catapult in one place I think, and it would then disappear.

In Velious, it consisted of one raid being able to awaken the sleeper, and it triggering a server-wide event and remaining forever awoken on that server.

So when the marketing hype consists of being able to blow up bridges and blow up holes in the ground - remember what they told us about all this other stuff too, and how the reality of it played out. Maybe it will be awesome - I'll admit, Velious was a hell of an expansion, but if half your marketing revolves around one raid beating one event that can only be performed once ever and you call that "being able to impact your server in a permanent and meaningful way" - that's technically true, and probably really awesome for the 60-80 people who were there, but ultimately disappointing for the 99.9999% of the population that won't get to do that. Similarly to how exciting it is to interact with a box. Or to defeat a door.

EQ2 improved upon this

four years ago,

Player written books were added as game update 52 (not an expansion feature)

http://eq2dev.wordpress.com/2009/04/22/leave-your-permanent-mark-on-the-world-of-norrath/

this seems like a simple feature to offer, I'm surprised other major titles lack this

Originally posted by Ridelynn
    Also, a word of caution:

The original Everquest has had 3 separate expansions each feature destructible, alterable, or dynamic environments as a feature. Huge print - large marketing bulletpoint, lots of hype about how this would change the way you played the game because now you could alter the geography around you.

In LDoN, it consisted of being able to break open a box, and the box would appear to break.

In Prophecy of Ro, it consisted of being able to defeat a door. And when defeated, the door would open. You could also defeat a catapult in one place I think, and it would then disappear.

In Velious, it consisted of one raid being able to awaken the sleeper, and it triggering a server-wide event and remaining forever awoken on that server.

So when the marketing hype consists of being able to blow up bridges and blow up holes in the ground - remember what they told us about all this other stuff too, and how the reality of it played out. Maybe it will be awesome - I'll admit, Velious was a hell of an expansion, but if half your marketing revolves around one raid beating one event that can only be performed once ever and you call that "being able to impact your server in a permanent and meaningful way" - that's technically true, and probably really awesome for the 60-80 people who were there, but ultimately disappointing for the 99.9999% of the population that won't get to do that. Similarly to how exciting it is to interact with a box. Or to defeat a door.

None of these were majorly hyped or even suggested to be a major focus of the expansions. This is one of the most disingenuous posts I have seen on these forums.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Ender4

Originally posted by Ridelynn
    Also, a word of caution:

None of these were majorly hyped or even suggested to be a major focus of the expansions. This is one of the most disingenuous posts I have seen on these forums.

Yeah like your comments along the lines of "EQN will rule all other mmo's" words to those effects.

Stones and glass houses come to mind.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Thanks in advance

Well, if you loved EQ1, EQ2 and WoW then, "Every game since has been the exact same formula" why would you change that? Are you looking for a game that you dislike? I'm not sure what you're looking for here. Is this one of the lesser known "Let's make BAD games" discussions?

In all seriousness, we rarely see changes in a genre. Look at Call of Duty. Gee, I wonder what Ghosts is about. I think the Vegas line on it being about some terrorist plot and you having to save the world was like 1.0001:1. 

Based on the thread, I think that EQN actually does a LOT to try to advance itself, but if you think they're going to radically change things like game mechanics, you may want to just exit the genre for a while. Either that, or try playing it on a console. That should definitely be a different style of play than what you're accustomed to. 

I'm just not certain what your expectations are, or if they're even reasonable. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by Ender4   Originally posted by Ridelynn Also, a word of caution:   The original Everquest has had 3 separate expansions each feature destructible, alterable, or dynamic environments as a feature. Huge print - large marketing bulletpoint, lots of hype about how this would change the way you played the game because now you could alter the geography around you. In LDoN, it consisted of being able to break open a box, and the box would appear to break. In Prophecy of Ro, it consisted of being able to defeat a door. And when defeated, the door would open. You could also defeat a catapult in one place I think, and it would then disappear. In Velious, it consisted of one raid being able to awaken the sleeper, and it triggering a server-wide event and remaining forever awoken on that server. So when the marketing hype consists of being able to blow up bridges and blow up holes in the ground - remember what they told us about all this other stuff too, and how the reality of it played out. Maybe it will be awesome - I'll admit, Velious was a hell of an expansion, but if half your marketing revolves around one raid beating one event that can only be performed once ever and you call that "being able to impact your server in a permanent and meaningful way" - that's technically true, and probably really awesome for the 60-80 people who were there, but ultimately disappointing for the 99.9999% of the population that won't get to do that. Similarly to how exciting it is to interact with a box. Or to defeat a door.
    Yeah like your comments along the lines of "EQN will rule all other mmo's" words to those effects.

Stones and glass houses come to mind.

Point out my post that suggests it will rule the world? I have been very clear in the fact that we just don't know if the game will be any good yet, what we know is it isn't just following the paint by numbers MMORPG mold so at least it has a fighting chance unlike most.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Thanks in advance

Ok...

1.  Mobs use a new AI that will make them adapt to their surroundings (not something they are developing they say they have made it)

Believe it when I see it, that sounds like a bunch of Bolognese.

2.  Desctructible world made of voxels that you can destroy with skills (you can even go underground like this)

The majority do not care the environment is destructible when it will respawn moment's later

GW2 combat is the most boring combat I have ever played

4.  Parkour-style movement

Can't wait to see everyone running around doing acrobatics everywhere

It will not feel even remotely like everquest.  The land will have some similar names but won't even resemble what you remember.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Everything you see about it, EQN seems more like Guild Wars 2 without the casual:

"Have max level  and finish all content in in a cpl weeks.  We don't care, we have your money already."

quite honestly..  Which presents a ton of urks and problems..

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Betaguy

Thanks in advance

Ok...

1.  Mobs use a new AI that will make them adapt to their surroundings (not something they are developing they say they have made it)

Believe it when I see it, that sounds like a bunch of Bolognese.

The majority do not care the environment is destructible when it will respawn moment's later

GW2 combat is the most boring combat I have ever played

4.  Parkour-style movement

Can't wait to see everyone running around doing acrobatics everywhere

It will not feel even remotely like everquest.  The land will have some similar names but won't even resemble what you remember.

Every counterpoint (shown in red)  to these facts are opinionated and have a strong bias. If you just don't like it, that's fine. Using opinions to argue facts is an exercise in futility.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here