Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too little too late...

Comments

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

Greetings and "well-met" adventurers!

It has been a long while since my last post. I will say that this forum is one of my first stops during my morning coffee and as I get my day under way. As for our OP Master Nirrtix, I shall offer a good morn sir! World of Warcraft is and probably will remain for years yet to come, an oft-discussed massively multi-player online experience. For me, well that's just fine. It doesn't bother this "ol' babyboomer". What Blizzard Entertainment does with it's "flagship" brand is it's own affair. I really don't care one whit.

I have played the illustrious WoW on a fairly steady basis since 2005. I actually bought the box in 2004 about a week after it's explosion onto the Ethernet. However, I was and still am more partial to billiards rather  that PC games, although I am no longer a "noob" as the "cool kids" like to admonish. I have also played and still play Sony Online Entertainment's EverQuest deux the mmo, if you recall was supposed to be the "next BIG thing" after the original EverQuest. Well, it more or less flopped. I assert that part of Blizzard's 250K opening day crowd came from EQ 2. Just my two-cents, obliviously, no proof kind ladies and gentlemen of this esteemed jury..uh..I mean forum. I would also like to point out that that EverQuest at the time of EQ 2's release was, well shall we say under going a sort of love-hate relationship with its' player base. I offer this exhibit for your pleasure dear sirs and madams; http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/compendium-of-my-everquest-articles/#more-6614. Wolf, was at one time an EQ Guide. He still has a strong tie to EverQuest. However, I think it's important to see that most of these old games we lovingly refer to as once perfect games, really weren't so much. I also recall many forum rants in the old WarCry forums from back in the day about Dark Age of Camelot and some winching about an update or maybe it was an expansion back in 2002 or 2003 that caused quite an emotional out cry. Sadly I simply couldn't find those articles or forum discussions, but it seems I remember reading about them.

OK so what's all this about EQ, EQ 2, and DAOC if the forum topic is about the upcoming expansion of the mighty Argentinosarus-like WoW. Of course as we have read ad nauseam, the many emotional discussions about either the grandeur or the faults of this preeminent mmo. Thus really, the latter is simply an illustration how other well-loved mmo's have also had their detractors.It's all just fluff and bother. Sort of resembling kids stamping their feet because they want something else, I assume. Blizzard is working, in secret on the replacement for the failed Titan, which in reality never existed did it? Thus, all this rancor about a tired and worn out mmo is truly well past itself, isn't it? There is nothing that we can be say that hasn't been said, John Lennon once crooned. WoW dos, anyone? You know, Blizzard's attempting to create "something truly mind-blowing and completely different" is a bit like "dumping the girl you brung to the dance", as we say in the South. Thus we shall see won't we? I put my money on some type of prequel or sequel to WoW. But, I could be wrong and really won't cause me to loose any sleep will it? Blizzard is laughingly an "indie" gaming company..uhm...corp now, thus the bottom-line is what matters. I shall endeavor to believe they got rather cold feet on where they were taking the company and I can see a sort of "going back to the future" kind of atmosphere on the Anaheim campus these days.

I shall just sit back and read these truly wonderful rants and nuclear responses. Sort of gets one's intestines going all this about nothing, doesn't it?

There truly is new and interesting mmo's on the near horizon. This should excite. Sony is due their secrecy. I doubt seriously all of the undue rants and suppositions about the current development of EverQuest Next or Landmark is founded. The boys at Blizz know and respect the folks at SoE. Thus, if development actually pulls this thing off, well it will be a truly new direction for mmo's. Now, I could make accusations based on past failures, however it is really not an indicator of what we have today on the Sony campus out in sunny San Deigo. EQ, EQ 2, and EQ Next are all different episodes in the companies growth. I don't buy that these truly creative and intelligent ladies and gentlemen are inept at all. I don't work there and I haven't gone to university undergrad or grad in IT or graphics world, thus I am not qualified to judge gaming companies on what they create. Now, if anyone would like to actually "define" what their game would actually look like and the total cost of development and how they approach the shall we say "next-generation" graphics engine in terms everyone can understand, then BOOM, you DO have an argument. However, not in all the nearly 7 years I have read these forum rants have I ever seen a truly technical argument or discussion based on the ideas and philosophies of, well let's see, maybe Brian "Psychochild" Green, to name one. Or hmm, maybe Edward Castronova and his wonderfully thought-provoking blog "Terra Nova" might be a great place to actually study gaming in general. But, hey, who wants to actually read stuff from academics that really know something about console and mmo games, right?

It is truly wonderful to see what lies in our near-future, Blizzard and Sony will be a part of it. I do think and believe that finally we ALL will have choice by the third decade of this millennium. Look at the trends you see on Indiegogo  or Kickstarter. How many sandboxes are in the making? How many new voxel-type build your own world mmo's are planned? Yes, yes, I know, I know, you lovely "jaded" crotchety ol' 30-something gamers simply see fail, but I see opportunity even if most games don't see the light. I see the likes of Blizz and SoE actually paying attention to the competition out there in the Ethernet. I am enthusiastic not grumpy and bored and upset because I can't have my way. Funny thing, I'm from a generation that spent most of their youth outside....yep think about that one folks!

Game on, people!

Alyn

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Too many of those vanilla lovers forget how broken the game was back then too...

For instance, class balance. Playing a druid or a paladin back then was accepting to walk into a world of pain.

To me, the best period in WoW was WotLK.

I'll take class balance issues, bugs, logon queues (if they're not to long) and much more to get back some RP feeling like long flights between flight masters, not being able to pay for new skills because everything is so expensive, focus on exploration above action etc.  I could go on.

I'll take that not only because it would be worth it. But because it's FIXABLE. We have a more polished game, but it lost a lot of the essentials.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by slickbizzle
    Originally posted by Xssiv
    LOL!  

I can't believe people still say this type of stuff after all of the failed attempts to dethrone WoW. 

Dethrone it from what?  It doesn't have the most players. It isn't the most challenging.  Exactly what throne is it sitting on that people are trying to knock it off of? 

It's a fun game, but that's about it.  It has been years since it was "king of MMOs".

Really? Please go ahead and name an mmoRPG which has more subscribers. I'd even go as far as to say active players. What is the most challenging as well? I'd say 25-man end-game raiding is fairly challenging, but I can't be certain because my challenge-o-meter is broken, but maybe you can give me a reading. 

I'm not going to be a WoW fanboi here, because I really feel like they continue to decrease the bar for intelligence required to play this game. I remember spending plenty of time pouring over spreadsheets and crap, trying to squeeze out an extra 10dps, lol. With the upcoming expansion it sounds like you just throw some armor on and go. That said, maybe they will offset these changes somewhere else, like difficulty ramp? I read about Mythic difficulty? 

To say that every single mmo RPG on the market doesn't aspire to WoW's success, though, is ridiculous. Even when they do things that would ruin other games, they maintain millions of subscribers. Sometimes it seems like they're TRYING to make people unsubscribe and, still, millions of people are subscribers. 

If WoW isn't a "king" of mmoRPGs I would be very interested in knowing what is. 

Ok. WoW is the king.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    So does the statement 'too little too late' refer to the 9 year mark or 10 year mark of WoW being launched?
  • VercinVercin Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Considering WOW has made something like I dunno...20 billion dollars. Your statement seems to little to late.

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409
    Originally posted by Nirrtix

I frankly have lost faith in this game. Blizzard too little too late. Housing is in every modern MMORPG, to not add it for so long was silly. Everquest 2 has the best housing system in any MMORPG, but WoW has kiddified EQ2 as well.

Everyone calls WoW "Kiddie Craft," but WoW was far from that in Vanilla. Kiddie Craft started in WOTL, but mostly in Cataclysm. After all of this does Blizzard really think this expansion will bring players back?

I BETA tested WoW Vanilla WoW was epic. The game in it's current state is a mess. It is too easy to get to max level. So many servers are empty becuase they overfilled them. So many aspects of the game are dumbed down. I say this as someone who actually likes some of the less popular changes. I actually like the dungeon finder. The battle grounds I have mixed feelings about. They killed world PVP, but some people forget how difficult it was to get groups for some dungeons before that.

Long story short, Blizzard you flat out waited too long to listen to your base. WoW will be no more once the new MMO's come starting next year. 

I beta'd too, and to me and many of the people that came from the same MMOs I did, WoW was ALWAYS a simplified casual friendly game.  We either got over our issues with it and enjoyed it for what it is, or never played it at all.  Listening to people trip out about its "dumbing down" is kind of funny because it sounds exactly like the complaints I heard (and made myself) when it was released.  It was a terrible bad thing that was over simplifying everything that made MMOs great, and it was the worst thing to happen to PvP in ever.  I got over it, and enjoyed playing it on and off ever since.  From my perspective, its just gotten better at what it does over time. 

I do feel for you guys, because it sucks to have a game you like change in ways you don't, but it happens to them all eventually.  I think if people just play it for what it is without comparing it to what they think it should be, they could still enjoy it.

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151

I frankly have lost faith in this game. Blizzard too little too late. Housing is in every modern MMORPG, to not add it for so long was silly. Everquest 2 has the best housing system in any MMORPG, but WoW has kiddified EQ2 as well.

Everyone calls WoW "Kiddie Craft," but WoW was far from that in Vanilla. Kiddie Craft started in WOTL, but mostly in Cataclysm. After all of this does Blizzard really think this expansion will bring players back?

I BETA tested WoW Vanilla WoW was epic. The game in it's current state is a mess. It is too easy to get to max level. So many servers are empty becuase they overfilled them. So many aspects of the game are dumbed down. I say this as someone who actually likes some of the less popular changes. I actually like the dungeon finder. The battle grounds I have mixed feelings about. They killed world PVP, but some people forget how difficult it was to get groups for some dungeons before that.

Long story short, Blizzard you flat out waited too long to listen to your base. WoW will be no more once the new MMO's come starting next year. 

LOL!  

I can't believe people still say this type of stuff after all of the failed attempts to dethrone WoW. 

It's true, though. ESO and EQN are nothing to write home about, but with Blizzard actively shitting on the players and new trickle from new big-brand MMO's WOW's playerbase will be in the 2m range within a year half.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

It's not true until it happens...

It's possible won't deny that but well Blizzards games tend to last longer than most other games.  I mean just look at Diablo 2, SC(not 2), and WC3.

• DeminaDemina Member UncommonPosts: 30

It is funny, I always come back to WoW.  I sometimes leave for a few months or even a year and play a different MMORPG until cap and then I am like... hmmm I miss WoW.

But I do not have expectations of what they should give me.  I just play the game and run around and kill things, get loot, do some bgs, socialize, role play and when it works my nerves, I am gone again.... until I miss it and then I come back.  Simple really and it became really easy to come back without thinking that they should do this or that to please me.  I come back because of the good feeling I get in the game.  It is familiar, I know my way around mostly and alot of the time they have added some new stuff and voila, I am having a good time.

Most of the working of my nerves come from the community and not the game.  I think the game is great.  But as an adult, I can only take so much of people screaming 'noob' anytime someone makes a mistake in a dungeon run or bg.  Goodness gracious, people do not come out of the womb knowing how to play WoW.

Housing sounds great, but it is not a deal breaker for me.  The community is.

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

Yes, because all of the so-called "WoW Killers" have been very successful, haven't they?  Rift is f2p, ToR is f2p, Tera is f2p, Lotro, Aion...the list goes on and on.  And yet WoW still maintains millions of paying players. 

I love how your post contains so much concrete evidence and spot-on analysis to defend your position! It's amazing how much research you did in order to claim that WoW will be dead next year, especially considering that others have been making the same idiot claim for nine years.

Tell me, do you have a blog or a weekly email newsletter or update I can sign up for so that I can read even more of your intelligent, well-researched anti-WoW complaints?

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• mastersam21mastersam21 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by jazz.be
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Too many of those vanilla lovers forget how broken the game was back then too...

For instance, class balance. Playing a druid or a paladin back then was accepting to walk into a world of pain.

To me, the best period in WoW was WotLK.

I'll take class balance issues, bugs, logon queues (if they're not to long) and much more to get back some RP feeling like long flights between flight masters, not being able to pay for new skills because everything is so expensive, focus on exploration above action etc.  I could go on.

I'll take that not only because it would be worth it. But because it's FIXABLE. We have a more polished game, but it lost a lot of the essentials.

I 2nd this.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

LOL!  

I have to agree. imho WoW is losing subscriptions simply because it has gone the wrong way in it's talent system, and the carebear direction it has taken. The new titles have been coming out for years and nothing has ended it. I'm not sure which games he was referring too, but I see nothing but more WoW clones on the horizon. I do like the direction Gloria Victis is trying to take the genre, but I know it will never come close to dethroning WoW.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Hey it's almost 10 years old. Let it age and die in peace.

You think WoW would still be sporting 12 million players if it stuck with Vanilla servers and only added more 40 man raids?

Think again.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

WoW loses subs at the end of every expansion, then they return for the new one. Granted that its shedding players slowly, but its hardly doom and gloom when you still have over 4 times as many as your next competitor.  

The new expansion looks solid, I would expect them to get quite a few people returning to check out the updated models / graphics.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Quite a few people including myself have been shocked and pleasantly surprised by the direction wow will be taking in the next expansion, it's caused me to start subbing again.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Hey it's almost 10 years old. Let it age and die in peace.

You think WoW would still be sporting 12 million players if it stuck with Vanilla servers and only added more 40 man raids?

Think again.

It's not sporting 12 million players now, so I'm not sure where you're going with that.

• I have to agrtee with Nirra here. I played with her back in the day. WoW is not dead per se. I could sub tomorrow and get the mind tearing feeling. With a backlash that I just forked out 10 euro for nothing. I have learned my lesson. Yes it is a little too late. 

That is from a male perspective. Way to late.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Oh, this thread again.

Yes, Wow has lost subscribers, yet it still dwarfs every other 'mmo' by a landslide when it comes to it's player base numbers, and they will only increase once their ex pack drops, like it does every time they release one.

12 mil was its peak obviously..

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Lol 'it may be 'too late' for people who need to think in such a way and can't handle that it may continue without them. If the game is good in the next expansion then you are talking at least 2 expansions of life. That's 4 years. Long time for those that cannot return based on an entrenched opinion..

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

The only reason WoW has been losing subs gradually is not there is an actual selection on the menu of MMOs.  Unlike in the past where you have a selection on one high quality meal and an assortment of bland meals one would have to forcibly eat.  The pieces of the MMO pie is now giving out more shared portions instead of giving the whole pie to WoW.  And I hardly would count WoW out for the count as initial impressions of the new expac gives the impression of a minor reboot which has long been overdue.  Too much people are chugging the hype sauce on the new MMOs coming out which WoW will likely have business as usual.  They might not have the subs they had in their prime, but they far surpass the min amt needed to be very profitable.  Lets not forget that to date EVERY themepark MMO that has competed against WoW have either gone F2P or B2P.

I have stopped playing since early Cata and with the little I've read about the new expac I am enticed to kick up my account again.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

LOL!  

Exactly. The only real threat to WoW, has always been and likely will remain Blizzard themselves.   In this case its easy to put a name to that, Ghostcrawler... He has done more to lose Blizzard millions of WoW players, than all of the other MMO games since 2004 combined.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • MMOManiacsMMOManiacs Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by Wraithone

LOL!  

Exactly. The only real threat to WoW, has always been and likely will remain Blizzard themselves.   In this case its easy to put a name to that, Ghostcrawler... He has done more to lose Blizzard millions of WoW players, than all of the other MMO games since 2004 combined.

And he is no longer with Blizzard, it will be interesting to see where it goes.

On a side note, yes GC was in charge during its sub losses, but he was also in charge when they grew it to 12 million. When GC took over, wow was at 8 million subs. He grew that to over 12 million at its peak at the start of Cata, and wow is now back down to (and stabalized at in the last couple of quarters) just under 8 million. WoW is basically in the same postion it was when he took over.

• WoW is at  500, 000 subs. with 20000 active.