Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did Turbine just blew up?

Comments

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

"Since the grid is completely connected it's simple a matter of transport permissions and fees."

Actually, Texas is on its own grid, mainly.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337
    According to Infinite Crisis' Twitter they have had a power outage (they share Turbine's servers) and as of five minutes ago they are "getting servers back online."
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

Turbine is in Boston, in the Northeast. Texas is in the South.

The storms are in the Midwest.

And this has what to do with the location of their datacenters?!?

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Stupid God is screwing up my mmo plans for tomorrow night.  
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I think the datacenter probably wasn't even the cause of the problem anyways - datacenter got UPSes and backup power generators. Servers probably got gracefully shut down.

I reckon it more likely that the ISP's data exchange facility that connects the datacenter to the rest of the world got KOed by the the storm (which explains the suddenness of it, and the lack of the shutdown messages).

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Originally posted by olepi

"Since the grid is completely connected it's simple a matter of transport permissions and fees."

Link to this:

http://www.texastribune.org/2011/02/08/texplainer-why-does-texas-have-its-own-power-grid/

"Bottom line: Texas has its own grid to avoid dealing with the feds."

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• SafraSafra Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

I think the datacenter probably wasn't even the cause of the problem anyways - datacenter got UPSes and backup power generators. Servers probably got gracefully shut down.

I reckon it more likely that the ISP's data exchange facility that connects the datacenter to the rest of the world got KOed by the the storm (which explains the suddenness of it, and the lack of the shutdown messages).

Thanks - sounds right. 

:::snicker::: Probably freaking the CIA and NSA out tonight, "Great! Now we have NO idea what a large portion of the country is up to"

LOL

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    The offices were probably overrun by people unhappy with the new trait trees.  
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Infinite Crisis and their site are also down so this is big shiz.

Link to this:

http://www.texastribune.org/2011/02/08/texplainer-why-does-texas-have-its-own-power-grid/

Thanks, that article backed up my former post.

Additionally, according to that link;

Even today, ERCOT (Electric Reliability Council of Texas) is also not completely isolated from other grids — as was evident last week when the state imported some power from Mexico during the rolling blackouts. ERCOT has three ties to Mexico and — as an outcome of the "Midnight Connection" battle — it also has two ties to the eastern U.S. grid, though they do not trigger federal regulation for ERCOT. All can move power commercially as well as be used in emergencies, according to ERCOT spokeswoman Dottie Roark.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Nout to do with GOD pal it's Humans

Asbo

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Or it could be because Texas has more oil and coal than any other state in the union and are the only ones that can actually do that...their power plants are still regulated by the Fed BTW. lol...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by Safra

:::snicker::: Probably freaking the CIA and NSA out tonight, "Great! Now we have NO idea what a large portion of the country is up to"

LOL

NSA, maybe; but CIA, do they ever? :P

Originally posted by Safra

LOL

NSA, maybe; but CIA, do they ever? :P

No, but they think they do therefore - freakout ;-D

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by NightBandit

I didn't know we had the tech to create tornadoes.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

you know your luck is running bad when, of all  the Data centers in all the world, it's the one your stuff is on that gets knocked out,lol. Time to put the hamsters to sleep for the night,turn off the lights and go home 'til tomorrow morning :)

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

well I guess if you can have some kind of invisible friend, then it's really a short hop from there to being able to assign it whatever tech you want it to have,lol ;)

Originally posted by GwapoJosh

Then you need to watch more terrible B movies sci-fi like this one, it will change your mind:

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

Unfortunately for them not so

"6:50PM Update: Due to a power issue at our datacenter, all services within the datacenter lost power. For unknown reasons, the backup power systems did not properly come online causing all services to lose power and go offline. Once the power issue is resolved, we will begin the process of verifying and restoring our games and websites. We appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience."

https://www.facebook.com/LOTRO

That's gotta suck, hope they had everything backed up.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by BMBender

That's gotta suck, hope they had everything backed up.

Yeah, I have my fingers crossed on both games.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Originally posted by ElasticZebra

Perhaps the victim of a DDoS attack.  Gaijin Online's War Thunder has been experiencing issues for a few days now I think.

Not Recently but the two past weekends saw DDOS on WT servers. BF4 also had DDOS issues.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Maybe not stupid just don't like the trait trees, banned from the forum (labeled as a naysayer), and tornadoes were the only option left to show some displeasement ;)

Btw, it's advisable to skip the very first night (based on RoI and RoR), I just plan to wait fo the first update probably tomorrow, plus half a day unti the first wave is over, only after that will I start the download (before dawn over there, early morning here). It worked for me so far with every expansion, skipping the first errors and the bandwith sharing with the masses ;)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

No, but we have the technollogy to be prepared for them

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

From Facebook:

We are temporarily delaying the launch of Helm's Deep while we work to address remaining issues, and will provide more information later this morning. We thank you for your continued patience, and will keep you updated.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Just got kicked from the server half an hour ago.

LOTRO website and game servers unreachable.

DDO website and game servers unreachable.

Turbine main Company website unreachable.

I basically only get directed to Google or Bing lol. Like they didn't pay their domain names bill and got removed from DNS.

So what? Wait until back online. I do not play Lotro anymore and guess not if they do not upgrade engine and rest ... but it seems to me excesive giving such title like end of world is coming. Ok if problems will be for days ... but for HALF AN HOUR?