Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS4 sells 1 million in 1 day

2»

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

PS4 doesnt charge for streaming media - like Netflix etc

some free to play mmos have no extra charge on PS4 - like DCUO and Planetside 2

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/17/ps4-planetside-2-dc-universe-online-will-not-require-playstatio/

Yoshida additionally confirmed that the PS4 versions of Zombie Studios' Blacklight: Retribution and Digital Extremes' Warframe will be free-to-play, and will not require a PlayStation Plus subscription to play.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    Lol...poor Nintendo. 
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Celcius
    Lol...poor Nintendo. 
    heh yeah right. their handhelds still print money. they aint hurtin.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Nadia

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/17/ps4-planetside-2-dc-universe-online-will-not-require-playstatio/

Yoshida additionally confirmed that the PS4 versions of Zombie Studios' Blacklight: Retribution and Digital Extremes' Warframe will be free-to-play, and will not require a PlayStation Plus subscription to play.

That's a bit of a plus on the PS4 side. But if you have to pay to play your favorite shooter, driver, etc. with your bud's it would definitely be something I would boycott.

That's a money grab pure and simple.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by laserit

That's a bit of a plus on the PS4 side. But if you have to pay to play your favorite shooter, driver, etc. with your bud's it would definitely be something I would boycott.

You get a lot of free games and discounts too on PS+. Even triple A games for example Dragons Dogma, Super Street Fighter 4, Uncharted 3 and many others were free.  And the discounts are pretty nice too for other games. 

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

You get a lot of free games and discounts too on PS+. Even triple A games for example Dragons Dogma, Super Street Fighter 4, Uncharted 3 and many others were free.  And the discounts are pretty nice too for other games. 

That's great for an optional service, but making you pay for playing you classic shooter's etc. with your buds is wrong and needs to be boycotted. There is no credible reason for it. It's a money grab.

Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by Stizzled

Didn't and wouldn't touch the Xbox 360 because of the pay to use Xbox live and only bought a PS3  for the Blue Ray, Netflix and Red Dead Redemption.

There is no reason for me to buy a new console and now that Sony charges to use a PS4 online service I'll have to boycott it just like I do the Xbox.

If it wasn't for all the cattle paying for Xbox Live, these services would most likely be free today.

I sure hope you aren't pro-subscription for MMOs then.

Well with a console you would have to pay for your sub + xbox live + internet connection.

PC = sub + internet connection.

My online PC experiences must be subpar to a console because I'm not paying an extra fee.

I wasn't talking about MMOs on console. Though, most MMOs that are already on or coming to the PS4 are either F2P or B2P, neither of which charge a monthly sub and the former doesn't even require PS+.

What I was doing was making a direct comparison between paying for an MMO subscription and paying for a Playstation+ or XBOX Live subscription. It just seems silly to me that a person would be willing to pay for a service that allows them to play an online game on PC but then be unwilling to pay for a service that allows them to play games online on a console. Especially when you consider that the console services are much cheaper and give out free games every month. It just doesn't seem fair that consoles shouldn't charge for online play but it's okay for an MMO to.

MMO's don't charge for general online play.  Now whether their game is worthy of a subscription is another argument and one that we would probably be mostly in agreement.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Nadia PS4 doesnt charge for streaming media - like Netflix etc   some free to play mmos have no extra charge on PS4 - like DCUO and Planetside 2 http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/17/ps4-planetside-2-dc-universe-online-will-not-require-playstatio/ Yoshida additionally confirmed that the PS4 versions of Zombie Studios' Blacklight: Retribution and Digital Extremes' Warframe will be free-to-play, and will not require a PlayStation Plus subscription to play.    

Not sure about the WiiU, but both the XB1 and PS4 require a sub to play any multiplayer. They are charging for their servers, and of course padding their wallets. Of the two plans, Sony's seems like the one that offers the most for the money.

Of course, there's always the PC.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Foomerang

The interesting twist with this gen console war is that the more powerful console is also less expensive.

The Xbox ONE is only more expensive because it is bundled with the Kinect, which would probably sell for at least £150 individually. Chances are MS will be forced to sell the Xbox ONE without Kinect and then it probably will be cheaper.

In UK the Xbox ONE is actually cheaper when buying up the games, as first party games are £45 on Xbox ONE, whereas first party Sony games are £50-55, and with FIFA 14 or Forza 5 giving away free helped reduce costs too. If I could not have gotten Forza 5 free I may not have got one, and waited for prices to drop.

I am not fussed with which one is the most powerful, I am interested in the console that has the games, and right now that is Xbox ONE. At launch I will have 8 Xbox ONE games (Forza 5, NFS Rivals, AC4, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragon and Zoo tycoon) and more to come too. The PS4 has ZERO games I fancy right now and none on the horizon either, and the Wii U had one game that I fancied, and after one year I only have 6 Wii U games. Therefore Xbox ONE is the best console in a long time with the most games I actually wanted, it even trumps the Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2 etc

With the console focussing on TV is a bonus, and can put the Sky box through HDMI socket, and do not need to get another HDMI splitter to connect the existing HDMI splitter probably reducing picture quality. Microsoft seem to have made a deal with Sky so the extra features should come, even if not at launch. Also there will be exclusive TV series, they were going to bring the new Blakes 7 to Xbox ONE, but it seems SyFy has that now, but no doubt there will be other TV series that will be shown on xbox ONE first.

All in all Xbox ONE is a no brainer for me.

Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Foomerang The interesting twist with this gen console war is that the more powerful console is also less expensive.
    The Xbox ONE is only more expensive because it is bundled with the Kinect, which would probably sell for at least £150 individually. Chances are MS will be forced to sell the Xbox ONE without Kinect and then it probably will be cheaper.

In UK the Xbox ONE is actually cheaper when buying up the games, as first party games are £45 on Xbox ONE, whereas first party Sony games are £50-55, and with FIFA 14 or Forza 5 giving away free helped reduce costs too. If I could not have gotten Forza 5 free I may not have got one, and waited for prices to drop.

I am not fussed with which one is the most powerful, I am interested in the console that has the games, and right now that is Xbox ONE. At launch I will have 8 Xbox ONE games (Forza 5, NFS Rivals, AC4, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragon and Zoo tycoon) and more to come too. The PS4 has ZERO games I fancy right now and none on the horizon either, and the Wii U had one game that I fancied, and after one year I only have 6 Wii U games. Therefore Xbox ONE is the best console in a long time with the most games I actually wanted, it even trumps the Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2 etc

With the console focussing on TV is a bonus, and can put the Sky box through HDMI socket, and do not need to get another HDMI splitter to connect the existing HDMI splitter probably reducing picture quality. Microsoft seem to have made a deal with Sky so the extra features should come, even if not at launch. Also there will be exclusive TV series, they were going to bring the new Blakes 7 to Xbox ONE, but it seems SyFy has that now, but no doubt there will be other TV series that will be shown on xbox ONE first.

I'm glad that worked out for you. Currently, neither console has any exclusives I want. On the horizon, there are a few PS4 exclusives that will persuade me to buy it. But there are no Xbox1 exclusives announced in the future that I care about.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It is no surprise,millions of people out there gotta have that new thing.Next will be the newest cell phone or Tablet ,the newest FB game will be the new trend,there will be a newer Esport to take over for LOL.

The whole premise of the console industry was to not need constant PC upgrades and ease of playing games.I have seen 2 consoles already go by in the same time i bought my PC.I have seen sub par graphics and linear game play,sure there are some off exceptions but not many.Supposedly this new PS4 is easier to make games,i bet it still churns out the same old,developers will save some money on time to develop but the games won't improve.

How many MMORPG's have been made for the consoles?ONLY one decent one FFXI,EQ Adventure';s is well outdated and not that good.So no matter how many new systems they get out just before Christmas,,the quality in game design will not improve.Quality starts on the PC platform,s then gets ported and dumbed down for consoles.All we are  going to see for consoles is 18 month game development and very short play times.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by Foomerang The interesting twist with this gen console war is that the more powerful console is also less expensive.

I'm glad that worked out for you. Currently, neither console has any exclusives I want. On the horizon, there are a few PS4 exclusives that will persuade me to buy it. But there are no Xbox1 exclusives announced in the future that I care about.

I am in the same boat. I do think Deep Down and the new Infamous look good though so as far as exclusives go, PS4 is looking better. I am also sick of MS politics and policies as well as personal experiences with faulty products so I am heavily leaning towards PS4, although in all honesty neither system has impressed me so I am taking the wait and see approach. Really it will all depend on what my two best friends go with and AFAIK they are holding out but leaning towards sony.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

Originally posted by Wizardry
    It is no surprise,millions of people out there gotta have that new thing.Next will be the newest cell phone or Tablet ,the newest FB game will be the new trend,there will be a newer Esport to take over for LOL.The whole premise of the console industry was to not need constant PC upgrades and ease of playing games.I have seen 2 consoles already go by in the same time i bought my PC.I have seen sub par graphics and linear game play,sure there are some off exceptions but not many.Supposedly this new PS4 is easier to make games,i bet it still churns out the same old,developers will save some money on time to develop but the games won't improve.How many MMORPG's have been made for the consoles?ONLY one decent one FFXI,EQ Adventure';s is well outdated and not that good.So no matter how many new systems they get out just before Christmas,,the quality in game design will not improve.Quality starts on the PC platform,s then gets ported and dumbed down for consoles.All we are  going to see for consoles is 18 month game development and very short play times.
    haha I enjoyed that. So funny that xenophobes exist in video game land. At least you're not hurting anybody :)

Originally posted by FlawSGI
    I am in the same boat. I do think Deep Down and the new Infamous look good though so as far as exclusives go, PS4 is looking better. I am also sick of MS politics and policies as well as personal experiences with faulty products so I am heavily leaning towards PS4, although in all honesty neither system has impressed me so I am taking the wait and see approach. Really it will all depend on what my two best friends go with and AFAIK they are holding out but leaning towards sony.
    Yeah most of my friends buy all consoles usually on launch so I will have plenty of hands on time to see which one I really prefer. Gran Turismo and Yakuza though... must buys for me.

Fighting games we all went PS3 last gen which is nice since we dont all live in the same state.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Release day sales of anything don't really impress me anymore. We live in a society where people can't possibly wait 5 seconds to get the new flashy game or piece of technology so every product has heavily front loaded sales.

Companies go out of their way to make it happen through all the hype and release day countdowns.

Maybe I'm strange, but I'm never in that much of a rush to get anything let alone deal with any issues that immediate release products tend to have.

I would wait a year and see how the two are stacking up (since generally speaking a lot of the conversation is aimed at which is better Xbox or PS) or at least wait until February after all the holiday and after holiday shopping is done.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Wizardry

It is no surprise,millions of people out there gotta have that new thing.Next will be the newest cell phone or Tablet ,the newest FB game will be the new trend,there will be a newer Esport to take over for LOL.

The whole premise of the console industry was to not need constant PC upgrades and ease of playing games.I have seen 2 consoles already go by in the same time i bought my PC.I have seen sub par graphics and linear game play,sure there are some off exceptions but not many.Supposedly this new PS4 is easier to make games,i bet it still churns out the same old,developers will save some money on time to develop but the games won't improve.

How many MMORPG's have been made for the consoles?ONLY one decent one FFXI,EQ Adventure';s is well outdated and not that good.So no matter how many new systems they get out just before Christmas,,the quality in game design will not improve.Quality starts on the PC platform,s then gets ported and dumbed down for consoles.All we are  going to see for consoles is 18 month game development and very short play times.

I have had the same consoles and have had to upgrade my PC and my wifes a couple times just to keep up. On the other hand my console games have gotten better over the years and I am still on the same systems. The reason I prefer a lot of games on my console is that I know that when I buy the game I don't have to worry about driver issues, updates causing conflicts, and other little software related conflicts that I have to fix or upgrade just to play my new game. I can't comment on the MMO portion of your post because there aren't a whole lot of titles as you mentioned, I will say that I enjoyed FFXI on my PS2 more than my PC though.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Selling 1 million in 24 hours is amazing for a console. Great launch for Sony and looking forward to see how things go for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. . Don't count the Wii U out just yet.  A price drop to $199 and some great exclusives like this one can change some things.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Basically what I am saying is that they should both do well, unlike Nintendo.  The only possible reason why I may get a PS4 is for the next Naughty Dog game, but maybe not Uncharted unless I have completed the first 3 first, or maybe if it gets an exclusive MMO not available on PC or Xbox. If I was getting a PS4 now then I would be stupid, as nothing appeals.  If the games were switched and PS4 got the Xbox games, and Xbox got the PS4 games I would have bought the PS4

This is MMO site, and most people who come here are MMO fans, and MMOs do best on PC than console, and maybe the majority prefer PC games than console games, but the one thing the PS4 has going for it are the MMOs, so the PS4 will probably be more favoured than the Xbox ONE here, but I prefer playing MMOs on PC, so PC plus Xbox ONE will be a good combination.

I am not particularly fond of MS policies but have also been let down by Sony countless times - 1) With the PSP they constantly kept updating it to remove the homebrew potential, 2) They removed Linux from PS3 after allowing it, 3) the HDD was going to revolutionise the PS2 just like Xbox ONE was meant to with TV but the HDD never reached Europe and I don't think the US got any TV services for it 4) Gran Turismo 5 was delayed for over one year at the last minute, and I bought a PS3 ready for it, and then did not have what I wanted to play on it for over a year, 5) The Last Guardian has been in development for ages for the PS3, but now be going to PS4. MS have always bent over backwards to please their customers and making a loss to do so. So after all that experience I am not touching PS4 until the games I want are actually released this time.

It just seems most people did not like MS policies and the DRM and went pro pro Sony and Anti MS, but Sony was the first to mention doing DRM and blocking 2nd hand games by taking out a patent to do so, and they still could use it.

The Xbox has more of a future if the cloud gaming works well, as you would be streaming graphics from an outside source, which can be constant upgraded, and would not be from the Xbox ONE. At the moment it does not matter as the consoles own graphics should carry things along, but hopefully the internet speeds and connectivity will get better over the years, making it more viable.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

Update
    http://business.financialpost.com/2013/11/21/playstation-4-gamestop-waiting-list/?__lsa=61c6-bfdb

Gamestop says they still have 2.3 million PS4 preorders.

PS4 is going to sold out for a while.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Update
    http://business.financialpost.com/2013/11/21/playstation-4-gamestop-waiting-list/?__lsa=61c6-bfdb

Gamestop says they still have 2.3 million PS4 preorders.

PS4 is going to sold out for a while.

They are shipping more for December, for the holidays