Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS4 sells 1 million in 1 day

XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/playstation4-sales-surpass-1-million-units-in-north-america-in-24-hours-232248401.html

PS4 sells over 1 million consoles in the first 24 hours to consumers.

Off to great start.

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I am curious to see how bf4 will actually be on xbox one. I was all set to go ps4 only, but now I have opted to go console and pc. Now that I will have both pc and console, the xbox one is looking more attractive due to the games, server tech, and the other entertainment options. If I would have just one syatem pc ps4 or xbox, I probably would have gone ps4 though, odd how it all works out.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    And that was just North America, wonder what it will be in Europe.  I feel bad for the Japanese they getting it in 2014 especially since its a Japanese console.
  • mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283

I heard it is having GPU meltdowns.... :(

So we will see how many of these 1 million melt down.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by mrputts

I heard it is having GPU meltdowns.... :(

So we will see how many of these 1 million melt down.

Regardless, they sold over 1 million consoles and will make good on any consoles having issues just like Microsoft did with the Xbox 360.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Xbox one is the inferior hardware and as game makers learn to better unlock the best from the consoles that will really tell in its favour. Plus all the Xbox One media centre functions are really USA specific. Outside of the States not worth the bother and likely not worth the effort for years if ever at all. Finally, PS4 seems to have the better launch games and stronger cross-platform titles. You heard it here...M$ are a sinking ship in the console wars and will go down fast over next year or two. 
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Deathenger
    Originally posted by mrputts I heard it is having GPU meltdowns.... :(   So we will see how many of these 1 million melt down.
    Regardless, they sold over 1 million consoles and will make good on any consoles having issues just like Microsoft did with the Xbox 360.

Roughly 0.4%, so out of the 1,000,000 sold, about 4,000 should have issues out of the box. That's more than enough to cover the 400 bad reviews on Amazon and the Twitter posts. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Xiaoki
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/playstation4-sales-surpass-1-million-units-in-north-america-in-24-hours-232248401.html
    Off to great start.

Is that a great start? What are we comparing this to? I'm not saying it's not great, I'm just wondering why it's great. What's the break even number and the rolling in piles of cash number?

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Off to great start.

Is that a great start? What are we comparing this to? I'm not saying it's not great, I'm just wondering why it's great. What's the break even number and the rolling in piles of cash number?

Well as for the consoles, they loose ALOT of money by selling them. They make up for games sold and other memberships etc. 

The previous generation they lost like 100 or 200 bucks for each console they sold. Funny how it's even possible when they lost that much.

• bakon2bakon2 Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by andre369

Off to great start.

Well as for the consoles, they loose ALOT of money by selling them. They make up for games sold and other memberships etc. 

The previous generation they lost like 100 or 200 bucks for each console they sold. Funny how it's even possible when they lost that much.

I did not know they lost money...did some digging and you are correct in the loss, looks like they reduced the amount for this console though.

EDIT: this link says around a $60 loss per unit sold.  http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-20-sony-expects-to-recoup-playstation-4-hardware-loss-at-launch

Off to great start.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Biggest_game_system_launches

You tell me, and it hasnt even released in Europe and Japan yet

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Off to great start.

Selling 1 million of anything is a great start.

So that's $400 million in one day.  Compare that to any product that ever existed and yeah....that will be seen as a good thing.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Off to great start.

Yeah it didn't really seem "great" to me. It sounds like a lot of people are waiting to see what happens.

Consoles have at least an even share of the market to PCs, but unlike PCs a new console is a day when everything that isn't a ps4 is now the old system.  Maybe ppl know that it takes a year or so before a new console is really worth buying unless you're just dieing to pay too much to have the newest thing that has a poor selection of games.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Off to great start.

You tell me, and it hasnt even released in Europe and Japan yet

You didn't even need that link.  Questioning if it was a great start is absurd. 

Originally posted by DamonVile

Off to great start.

Yeah it didn't really seem "great" to me. It sounds like a lot of people are waiting to see what happens.

Consoles have at least an even share of the market to PCs, but unlike PCs a new console is a day when everything that isn't a ps4 is now the old system.  Maybe ppl know that it takes a year or so before a new console is really worth buying unless you're just dieing to pay too much to have the newest thing that has a poor selection of games.

It is great if you compare it to past launch sales of older consoles.  Right now its at the top.  for instance 360 sold 326 thousand in 2 weeks in US and PS3 197 thousand.  Hell PS4 sold more than PS2 at its launch, PS2 was about 500 thousand in one weekend in US.

Originally posted by Deathenger

Originally posted by mrputts I heard it is having GPU meltdowns.... :(   So we will see how many of these 1 million melt down.

Roughly 0.4%, so out of the 1,000,000 sold, about 4,000 should have issues out of the box. That's more than enough to cover the 400 bad reviews on Amazon and the Twitter posts. :-)

0.4% is what sony was predicting  before launch, they told IGN this in an article.  Regardless of what the actual number is, at least they are prepared for this.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Grats to Sony. Still gonna wait though. Not interested in xbone, but I will get a ps4 probably next year.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Foomerang         I will get a ps4 probably next year.

i'm waiting also

there's no game i want to play at the moment on PS4

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Nadia
    i'm waiting also

Same. I don't even know that I will get one. I broke down and got a PS3 for FFXIII, and then I broke down and got a Wii for Zelda (didn't beat it), and then I broke down and got a 360 for Fable3.

The Wii was traded in for a WiiU last Xmas, the kid plays a lot of Skylanders on it.
    The PS3 still sees some use for Netflix, and occasionally I'll play FFXIV on it to do gathering while on the couch.

The 360 is at Grandpa/ma's house, it has a Kinect for the kid for when he stays there, except they don't even know how to turn it on or change the TV input to let him play it, so it hasn't been updated in about 2 years.

So... I guess if my past purchasing history continues, I'll probably break down and get one of these when some game comes out that I just want to try, although I've pretty well regretted it for every time I bought one from the last generation, and this new generation doesn't really do anything that the previous one didn't already do - it's not like it can play Netflix any better or anything, and I don't watch TV as it is, and I don't play many console games anyway, so ... we'll see. Definitely not jumping in on the launch day hysteria, and the kid is too young to really care about the hardware yet, he just cares about SwapForce right now.

Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Xiaoki http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/playstation4-sales-surpass-1-million-units-in-north-america-in-24-hours-232248401.html   PS4 sells over 1 million consoles in the first 24 hours to consumers. Off to great start.
    http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Biggest_game_system_launches You tell me, and it hasnt even released in Europe and Japan yet

Is it still great if the XB1 sells two million units the first day? What if Sony was expecting something more like two million units sold on the first day? They do have something like seventy million existing PS3 units out there that need to be replaced.

Is it still a great relative to the growth in the video game industry itself?

Again, I'm not saying this is bad. Far from it. It just seems like people are cheering something with no context. Sony loses something like $60* on every console sold, so they didn't make $400M, they lost $60M. They now have to make a minimum of $60M in revenues from licensing and sales of games just to break even.

* Whether it is or is not $60 per console, it's more than $0 lost on each console. Sony has lost money, not made money.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by Nadia

i'm waiting also

Same. I don't even know that I will get one. I broke down and got a PS3 for FFXIII, and then I broke down and got a Wii for Zelda (didn't beat it), and then I broke down and got a 360 for Fable3.

The Wii was traded in for a WiiU last Xmas, the kid plays a lot of Skylanders on it.
    The PS3 still sees some use for Netflix, and occasionally I'll play FFXIV on it to do gathering while on the couch.

The 360 is at Grandpa/ma's house, it has a Kinect for the kid for when he stays there, except they don't even know how to turn it on or change the TV input to let him play it, so it hasn't been updated in about 2 years.

So... I guess if my past purchasing history continues, I'll probably break down and get one of these when some game comes out that I just want to try, although I've pretty well regretted it for every time I bought one from the last generation, and this new generation doesn't really do anything that the previous one didn't already do - it's not like it can play Netflix any better or anything, and I don't watch TV as it is, and I don't play many console games anyway, so ... we'll see. Definitely not jumping in on the launch day hysteria, and the kid is too young to really care about the hardware yet, he just cares about SwapForce right now.

I'm on the same boat.

Didn't and wouldn't touch the Xbox 360 because of the pay to use Xbox live and only bought a PS3  for the Blue Ray, Netflix and Red Dead Redemption.

There is no reason for me to buy a new console and now that Sony charges to use a PS4 online service I'll have to boycott it just like I do the Xbox.

If it wasn't for all the cattle paying for Xbox Live, these services would most likely be free today.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Originally posted by jdnyc

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Originally posted by Xiaoki http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/playstation4-sales-surpass-1-million-units-in-north-america-in-24-hours-232248401.html   PS4 sells over 1 million consoles in the first 24 hours to consumers. Off to great start.
    http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Biggest_game_system_launches You tell me, and it hasnt even released in Europe and Japan yet

Is it still great if the XB1 sells two million units the first day? What if Sony was expecting something more like two million units sold on the first day? They do have something like seventy million existing PS3 units out there that need to be replaced.

Is it still a great relative to the growth in the video game industry itself?

Again, I'm not saying this is bad. Far from it. It just seems like people are cheering something with no context. Sony loses something like $60* on every console sold, so they didn't make $400M, they lost $60M. They now have to make a minimum of $60M in revenues from licensing and sales of games just to break even.

* Whether it is or is not $60 per console, it's more than $0 lost on each console. Sony has lost money, not made money.

Here's the thing....console launch sales are mostly determined by production limitations so if one outsells the other at launch it's more likely only due to one company having higher production capability than the other i.e having more units available.My guess is we are going to have the closest to even launch sales of any launch battle so far.

But even if say PS4 does outsell Xbox One at launch it really doesn't mean anything long term.For example Xbox 360 vastly outsold PS 3 in their initial launch periods and people declared it it the winner of the console wars....however if you look at figures by the end of this console generation PS3 had actually outsold Xbox 360 so technically was the winner but it was really almost even by the end.

Also recouping money from console sales is not a launch concern  and is something that happens long term as production costs fall and each console has a much larger games library and user base over time.It's not relevant to this discussion IMO,

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

The interesting twist with this gen console war is that the more powerful console is also less expensive.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

What if Sony was expecting something more like two million units sold on the first day?

SONY sold through all of its available PS4 units

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/11/18/playstation-4-sells-through-first-shipment-of-1-million-units-in-24-hours/

The PlayStation 4 released last week, and it’s already vanished from the shelves. In the first 24 hours alone, the console sold through its entire initial shipment of 1 million units, making it the biggest console launch in American history.

Is it still great if the XB1 sells two million units the first day? What if Sony was expecting something more like two million units sold on the first day?

They werent expecting 2 million since they only shipped 1 million.  And that 1 million is now sold out.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by laserit

Didn't and wouldn't touch the Xbox 360 because of the pay to use Xbox live and only bought a PS3  for the Blue Ray, Netflix and Red Dead Redemption.

There is no reason for me to buy a new console and now that Sony charges to use a PS4 online service I'll have to boycott it just like I do the Xbox.

If it wasn't for all the cattle paying for Xbox Live, these services would most likely be free today.

I sure hope you aren't pro-subscription for MMOs then.

Well with a console you would have to pay for your sub + xbox live + internet connection.

PC = sub + internet connection.

My online PC experiences must be subpar to a console because I'm not paying an extra fee.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee