Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I crazy

mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
Am I crazy for not feeling compelled to play the game, even though it is free, to play through the class stories but I'm probably going to watch them on youtube instead?

Comments

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157

No. Mostly because the class stories only make up 15 to 20% of the leveling process and it would require you to replay 80 or so percent of the game just to see them.

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Frostvein

No. Mostly because the class stories only make up 15 to 20% of the leveling process and it would require you to replay 80 or so percent of the game just to see them.

Well I would disagree with this statement.  You are always on the story lines.  While you are on the story lines you pick up new quest depending on if your a sub or f2p that determines how many extra quests you need to do.  Tell me one game that has better stories then SWTOR and tell me one game that has more story lines during the leveling process.  

Originally posted by maxima29

Well I would disagree with this statement.  You are always on the story lines.  While you are on the story lines you pick up new quest depending on if your a sub or f2p that determines how many extra quests you need to do.  Tell me one game that has better stories then SWTOR and tell me one game that has more story lines during the leveling process.  

The argument wasn't about the quality of the storylines. The point was, to see the class quests you have to trudge through a ton of quests that you've already done because the leveling process is so linear. In other games, you have 2-3 or more ways to level your character through quests alone. So, even if you level multiple classes, you can pick and choose where you go so the leveling process is varied - that isn't the case with SWTOR.

I don't blame anyone who wants to see the class stories for skipping straight to youtube.

The argument wasn't about the quality of the storylines. The point was, to see the class quests you have to trudge through a ton of quests that you've already done because the leveling process is so linear. In other games, you have 2-3 or more ways to level your character through quests alone. So, even if you level multiple classes, you can pick and choose where you go so the leveling process is varied - that isn't the case with SWTOR.

I don't blame anyone who wants to see the class stories for skipping straight to youtube.

I would agree there is really one path to leveling but SWTOR does have quality, very unique story lines that your actions actually have consequences in the outcome throughout the story, a story you are on almost the entire leveing process.  Not sure you can get that through youtube.  The other games that have 2 or 3 ways to level your toon only have the one story and a few had to add new ways to level cause they have been out for years.  

Sure if you want to go watch on youtube and not have the immpersion the stories give sure go ahead.  But if you like a story that you can change based on your actions then play the game.  

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I would agree there is really one path to leveling but SWTOR does have quality, very unique story lines that your actions actually have consequences in the outcome throughout the story, a story you are on almost the entire leveing process.  Not sure you can get that through youtube.  The other games that have 2 or 3 ways to level your toon only have the one story and a few had to add new ways to level cause they have been out for years.  

Sure if you want to go watch on youtube and not have the immpersion the stories give sure go ahead.  But if you like a story that you can change based on your actions then play the game.  

Sorry but this is simply untrue. The dialogue choices offer nothing but minor flavour changes based on light / dark choices. At the end of your story you are in exactly the same place as every other person in your class regardless of what choices you made. Nothing changes. There are no consequences. 

The quests and dialogue are well written, but the earlier poster is 100% correct in saying that only 10-15% of the game will change as you level another class.

You can easily just watch all the dark side / light side choices on YouTube. You don't need to play through to see them.

Originally posted by evilastro

Sorry but this is simply untrue. The dialogue choices offer nothing but minor flavour changes based on light / dark choices. At the end of your story you are in exactly the same place as every other person in your class regardless of what choices you made. Nothing changes. There are no consequences. 

The quests and dialogue are well written, but the earlier poster is 100% correct in saying that only 10-15% of the game will change as you level another class.

You can easily just watch all the dark side / light side choices on YouTube. You don't need to play through to see them.

1st he said 15-20% of course your going to low-ball it now.  And yes there are consequences hey you can kill this guy or not...your companion may like it or not, I did not say its changes the story in the end that stays the same.  I said throughout if one sorcerer decides to go dark parts of their story will be different then a sorcerer that goes light,  there may be an extra dead guy or two in there...that would be a consequene...so yes what i said was 100% true.  

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

So, even if you level multiple classes, you can pick and choose where you go so the leveling process is varied - that isn't the case with SWTOR.

this is the exact same problem i found in Rift and Tera. Doing the exact same things at the exact same places with every character. That is not good.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Just my opinion but I found the SW:TOR story line disappointing. The side quest story lines were by far the worst. Overkill. The only thing worse than getting a quest to kill rats is to have some fully voiced npc yammer on about the killing of the rat in depth, as if it mattered.
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley
    Just my opinion but I found the SW:TOR story line disappointing. The side quest story lines were by far the worst. Overkill. The only thing worse than getting a quest to kill rats is to have some fully voiced npc yammer on about the killing of the rat in depth, as if it mattered.

Yeah im pretty sure there isnt any quest that has an npc tell you to go kill rats.  Now while your out fighting you get optional quests to kill rats, rebels etc etc, but there are very few quests if any that have you go kill x number of anything that are not optional.  

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Yeah im pretty sure there isnt any quest that has an npc tell you to go kill rats.  Now while your out fighting you get optional quests to kill rats, rebels etc etc, but there are very few quests if any that have you go kill x number of anything that are not optional.  

Off the top of my head, I recall several instances of "go kill x seperatists" type quests mixed in with the other "go click x objects" ones.  I don't mind those quests, just pointing out that tOR has plenty of them.  The "bonus" quest things where you are told to kill 30 rackghouls or whatever should also count since they aren't really "optional" in the sense that you need the xp to level (especially as F2P).

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22

Off the top of my head, I recall several instances of "go kill x seperatists" type quests mixed in with the other "go click x objects" ones.  I don't mind those quests, just pointing out that tOR has plenty of them.  The "bonus" quest things where you are told to kill 30 rackghouls or whatever should also count since they aren't really "optional" in the sense that you need the xp to level (especially as F2P).

Yeah lots of go click x objects that I don't mind but not a lot of kill x number of separatist and I cant remember any to go kill rats.

• Pongo_Pongo_ Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Yeah lots of go click x objects that I don't mind but not a lot of kill x number of separatist and I cant remember any to go kill rats.

I know you are emotionally invested in swtor, for whatever reason, but you are being too literal on the use of 'rats' in the statement, in a attempt to discredit his argument.

fact is there are many 'kill a number of X' quests in the game.  doesn't matter what X is, it's still repetitive and boring.

fact is in order to level to see such 'great' class stories, one has to repeat a lot of content.  including the kill X quests.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Frostvein No. Mostly because the class stories only make up 15 to 20% of the leveling process and it would require you to replay 80 or so percent of the game just to see them.  

This is the preferred fall back of the SW:TOR enthusiast. Yeah but the quality. Yes, we all get it, BW can tell and amazing story, and throw heaps of money into a feature that very few people care to see in a game after the first play through. After you have seen it once, it is just annoying.

I recently went back and played another character to 50. Yup same boring stuff, and i hated it again.

And yes there are many quests to go kill X numbers of this, go collect x number of that. Combine that with the extremely, almost suffocating linear story lines and quests hubs, and it makes for a damn boring game. imo.

Wanna talk about PvP? here it is in a nutshell: He who CC's first, wins. GG see ya.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

a different cutscene every 2 hours, for doing this linear threadmill is too Little reward

yes, the cutscenes are pretty good

but most of the game isnt

their famous 4th pillar didnt Work out too well

i didnt even bother with youtube, i can live without knowing how they end

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

To me MOBAs provide more fun than many mmorpgs including SWTOR. Though I am tired of the same quest format.

I think a true change is needed and it is coming, ESO/Star Citizen/Camelot Unchained. Will be where the fun shall restart for me anyway.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Hatefull

Originally posted by Frostvein No. Mostly because the class stories only make up 15 to 20% of the leveling process and it would require you to replay 80 or so percent of the game just to see them.  

This is the preferred fall back of the SW:TOR enthusiast. Yeah but the quality. Yes, we all get it, BW can tell and amazing story, and throw heaps of money into a feature that very few people care to see in a game after the first play through. After you have seen it once, it is just annoying.

I recently went back and played another character to 50. Yup same boring stuff, and i hated it again.

And yes there are many quests to go kill X numbers of this, go collect x number of that. Combine that with the extremely, almost suffocating linear story lines and quests hubs, and it makes for a damn boring game. imo.

Wanna talk about PvP? here it is in a nutshell: He who CC's first, wins. GG see ya.

Of course it's the fall back it's the highlight of the game, everyone gets that even the enthusiasts.

Every RPG has a number of kill or collect quests, what separates the good from the bad is how it's presented, in TOR's case most of those types of tasks are filler you'd complete while doing missions anyway(bonus XP), Most quests in TOR even the side quests are comprised of activities you'd do in a single player RPG. Kill that guy, find this information, disable this or that device or enable it etc..etc.. There are few RPGs that deviate from that type of activity during their questing. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by simplius

a different cutscene every 2 hours, for doing this linear threadmill is too Little reward

A yet here you are on every single Swtor post spewing your assumptions with never a link to back it up.  It's clear you don't play it's clear you don't like it do you really have nothing better to do in life then attempt to bash a video game you don't like and don't play?  What does that say about you?

Originally posted by simplius

A yet here you are on every single Swtor post spewing your assumptions with never a link to back it up.  It's clear you don't play it's clear you don't like it do you really have nothing better to do in life then attempt to bash a video game you don't like and don't play?  What does that say about you?

i think you misunderstood him.

You hit up a planet. You do your class story for about 15-20 minutes, then 2+ hours of planet quests that you've done before to see 15-20 minutes more of the class story, and then the process repeats.

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

Every now and again I get the urge to play it because well I love star wars and fancy a fix normally leads to me subbing a month but each time I last maybe a little over a week. The problem is the game has so many problems on every level they would need the original development budget again to fix what's wrong with it.

Love the franchise have tried to love the game but I just cant.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    I just can't get passed the static, dull and lifeless world. Some npc's don't even move. For the amount of money that was spent to create this game, they really did a shit job.
  • sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

I quit when I saw a seemingly endless corridor filled with middle rank mobs spaced just far enough apart to ensure a slow crawl through them between me and the next story bit that would tell about 3 lines in what increasingly seemed like a needlessly drawn out story.

It is not that the story doesn't have its good points (and a LOT of bad points) but that the amount of time needed to get there is just to much and frankly not much fun. 

The problem ain't the amount of story but the tedium of the combat. 

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by mmoguy43
    Am I crazy for not feeling compelled to play the game, even though it is free, to play through the class stories but I'm probably going to watch them on youtube instead?

The game itself is a really mediocre WoW clone so I would say no you aren't crazy.

Originally posted by sfc1971

I quit when I saw a seemingly endless corridor filled with middle rank mobs spaced just far enough apart to ensure a slow crawl through them between me and the next story bit that would tell about 3 lines in what increasingly seemed like a needlessly drawn out story.

It is not that the story doesn't have its good points (and a LOT of bad points) but that the amount of time needed to get there is just to much and frankly not much fun. 

The problem ain't the amount of story but the tedium of the combat. 

I guess some of you will keep twisting things around just to keep the bashing going.  I thought there wasn't enough content?  I thought you out level the content? Now your saying there is too much content between story lines?  

Well ill I guess it's a matter of opinion and some clearly are more bias then others and over a million don't think its tedium.  Why do you think a major complaint is the restriction to the amount of toons f2p get?  Because leveling in Swtor is fun!!  If it was so horrible as you claim people would careless about alts.  Give me a few mmos where leveling alts is not a little tideous?  They all can be and Swtor isn't a different except their stories are superior over other mmos .  

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I have 21 alts :) from which 6 are level 55, another 5 level 50 and the rest are from level 11 to 30.  Never ever in any MMO I was able to manage this amount of alts and have fun leveling them. EQ2 came the closest, but I played it for 7 years. I had 8 alts there. And although world quest can become repetitive when doing them so many times, with the XP potions which drops with quests I am picking and choosing what I want to do or what not. I am still having fun and currently I am working on my little evil adorable b*tch merc.

Can't wait for GS and although I am not PvP fan, I had a privilege to test it and I absolutely love it. I am going to pend a lot of time in space.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

Guess so, never played more fun game with so many different stories and all voiced ... wow. Well, throne is split between Wow and Swtor. Only two games I can immagine to play for 10 or 20 years to come. Just hope next expansion will bring also class specific questing. And tears to haters that would love to see swtor dead.