Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

married couple thinking of EQ2. Not typical mmorpg players (anymore)

cd_bluecd_blue Member UncommonPosts: 14

My wife and I have been away from MMORPGs for sometime and was thinking about giving EQ2 a shot. We are going to be only able to play very casually but yet would like to feel like outside of raiding we could be competitive gear wise with raiders (obviously not as well geared but not completely garbage if you get what I am saying). 

So basically my question is...

1. With mercs now in game can 2 people with them pretty much do the instances without having anyone else? 

2. Is community pretty mature compared to WoW?

3. Long question... Outside just doing quest we both like to do tradeskills, collect pets/companions/mounts/whatever, work on our house, farm for stuff to sale just for something to do, and just “fun” stuff outside of fighting for gear all the time. Does EQ2 offer much of that? 

Think that is pretty much it :) Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by cd_blue

My wife and I have been away from MMORPGs for sometime and was thinking about giving EQ2 a shot. We are going to be only able to play very casually but yet would like to feel like outside of raiding we could be competitive gear wise with raiders (obviously not as well geared but not completely garbage if you get what I am saying). 

1. With mercs now in game can 2 people with them pretty much do the instances without having anyone else? 

under level 85 - yes

beyond 85, you will want a 3rd person w a merc

all communities have their dregs but less popular mmos have much better communities

personally the EQ2 community is best i've seen  -- most popular server is Antonia Bayle and Freeport

EQ2 has global chat channels, that can be seen in all zones

3. Long question... Outside just doing quest we both like to do tradeskills, collect pets/companions/mounts/whatever, work on our house, farm for stuff to sale just for something to do, and just “fun” stuff outside of fighting for gear all the time. Does EQ2 offer much of that? 

in spades - EQ2 has more fluff than any mmo i know of

two helpful links I put together

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/397576/EQ2-site-links.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/397574/EQ2-85-FaeArasai-flying-Mount-quests-shrink-illusion-earning-titles.html

my answers :)

EQ2 Frostfell is upcoming soon in mid December - a fun holiday event

http://www.zam.com/wiki/Frostfell_%28EQ2_Live_Event%29

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by cd_blue

under level 85 - yes

beyond 85, you will want a 3rd person w a merc

all communities have their dregs but less popular mmos have much better communities

personally the EQ2 community is best i've seen  -- most popular server is Antonia Bayle and Freeport

EQ2 has global chat channels, that can be seen in all zones

in spades - EQ2 has more fluff than any mmo i know of

two helpful links I put together

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/397576/EQ2-site-links.html

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/397574/EQ2-85-FaeArasai-flying-Mount-quests-shrink-illusion-earning-titles.html

my answers :)

Nadia is on the money here

Also, if you two are the type that just likes to see content and dont worry about max level there is a TON to do in EQ2.  You can divert most or all of your exp into AA and just do the cool heritage quest chains, explore dungeons, etc

EQ2's housing is the best on the market (UO can make a claim to this too but its an old, dead game).  No other game comes close.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

If you two are over 30 Id recommend looking into the guild Old School on Antonia Bayle server.

Laid back group of people, they do some raiding but not remotely a guild focus.  Very helpful bunch of people, they will let you be on your own if you want to but if you ever want to grab an extra person or two it would be fairly easy to do so.  

• BlueProteusBlueProteus Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Since you mentioned tradeskills, I'll just say that the crafting and marketplace in EQ2 are some of the best I've seen. There is no "craft all" button...you have to actually make each item and pay attention. I loved it.

Playing: Various Stuff
    Played: AC, AoC, ArcheAge, BDO, CoX, EQ2, Eve, GW, LotRO, Ryzom, SWG, SWtOR, Vanguard, WoW, Etc.

• cd_bluecd_blue Member UncommonPosts: 14

Thanks everyone! We are making our characters now. 

Just curious if we decide to stay. What all do we need to be caught up with everyone else content wise? I heard if you get last expansion (Tears of Veeshan) you get rest of expansions for free. Then I read on website you get 7 previous ones. What about the other two.  Also for sure want Mercs would we need another expansion for that? 

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

You download the basic package........ then you have to buy Age of Discovery, and/or Chains of Eternity and/or Tear of Veshaan, separately

I have the basic game and Age of Discovery. AoD has the mercs, dungeon maker, trade apprentices, etc.. So it's a must have for me :-) When you get to 80+ buy the other two.

I also recommend Oldschool highly on AB server....

There are a lot of dregs in chat, make a guild chat and bypass and the immature comments in normal chat. Or, go to a less populated server and there is less dregs there to deal with... IMO

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

TOV includes Chains of Eternity  (can no longer buy COE seperately)

Age of Discovery is not a content expansion

AOD adds optional features like  Beastlord class, Mercenaries, Tradeskill Apprentice, Dungeonmaker

these features can be bought seperately and I think only Mercs are worthwile  (15.00 onetime fee)

AOD is not required to use Dungeonmaker dungeons

but you won't be able to create your own AOD dungeons

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

If you buy Tears of Veeshan you will get Chains of Eternity included. The Age of Discovery expansion is now split up in parts that can be bought from the Station Store in game. So if you go free to play and want to level you will get by with just buying the mercenaries add on, and maybe tradeskill apprentices later if you are heavily into tradeskilling.

If you start from level 1 and intend to level up all the way you do not need ToV expansion or CoE until you reach 90, also recently the equipment limitations for free to play toons was removed. It is probably better to spend some money on potions and other services you may need while leveling.

Me and my wife leveled from the 70s to 85 on the old more limited free to play and many level up to the 70s at least on free to play you probably need to sub in the 80s though as it gets a bit limited IMHO. But we have free to play 95s in our guild.

Another thing you can do nowadays is to test a level 85 toon with gear and spells and all. You can test that toon from 85 until you get xp for level 86 at that time it gets frozen and you have to buy the toon for I think $ 40. This free 85 is not something you should start with until you have played some weeks and got your bearings. Start as Free to play make 2 toons each, one on Freeport and one on Antonia Bayle one start in New Halas/Frostfang sea  and one in Neriak/Darklight woods (most popular starting areas although I personally like the Timorous Deep newbie areas) also roll different classes. Try them out a but and use the U (guildsearch command) look at the guilds and  type a /Who all guildname that you are interested in now and then when you are playing then you will see how many they have online on your playtime, that is important information, the best guild in the world will be bad for you if they do not play on your times.

When you have found the server and the guild and have got into EQ2 (so after some weeks of play) then try the 85s. And remember to have fun. Collateral Damage on AB server also has several couples playing and is a inclusive guild for grown up people that tries to do things together.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• cd_bluecd_blue Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Thanks everyone for the responses. We are going to start playing shortly and get the hang of things. From all we have heard seems like AB server would be a great place. Is there active a good amount of actual roleplaying there? I use to run a RP guild years ago on the Nameless Server on EQ 1. I wouldn't mind RPing time to time :)

Also thanks for suggestions on the guilds. We will check them out they sound like they would be a good fit. 
  • KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Yes there are several RP guilds still on AB the website for the EQ2 roleplayers is called Raven Mythic, there you will find guildlistings and events, there are also several dedicated chat channels for Roleplayers on AB but i will not list them here. Ill send a message to you here on the site this evening.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

one of the better features of EQ2 is its Guild finder

its a great guilds listing if they roleplay, tradeskill, etc