Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Before I spend $200, I need to know this:

Comments

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411
    I think EQN will not have the same building mechanic that will be present in Landmark.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

My take is Landmark will be a sandbox more focused on building and creativity where Next will be a theme park.  

I guess their take away from years of trying to develop a game that appeals to both Sandbox and Themepark players was it's easier to make two games that run on the same engine rather than try and make one game that does both really well.

It's hard for me to see the appeal of Landmark long term right now but until I see combat features flushed out more I am reserving judgment. 

• KwonKwon Member UncommonPosts: 56

You can upgrade?  That changes everything.

Ill get one $60 for my wife and wait to see what happens.  For those that are asking:  The 10% increase in yield item is HUGE in the $60 pack and the item in the $99 pack that effects item quality is significant.  They upper two packs also come with storage upgrades.  All critical if you are going to compete on the market for your items.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Pretty sure those are items you can get in game though. They give you a leg up but a month after release none of these items will have value.

EQN is going to be more of a sandbox than a theme park too.

• MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235

Everquest Next is pretty much Landmark minus the "developer quality building tools" but has quests, and rallying calls, combat classes and many races, and possibly more things that haven't been announced yet.

Landmark could be for you, when:

- You like to roleplay

- You like to explore

- You like to craft or build

- You played minecraft, and find yourself building new things all the time

- You love games like Wurm online, Xsyon, A tale in the desert.

- you like lego freebuilding

If you are looking for a game like WoW, Rift, or even Everquest 1 and 2, then I would wait for the release of Everquest Next: the game.

This answered many of my questions (but not all)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeTv5nnq9IY#t=16

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Ender4

There is pretty much no way that buying these packs will carry over to EQ Next though. I think that is just wishful thinking.

agree

http://www.reddit.com/user/terryjmichaels

These items are for Landmark. While they're built on the same technology, each game will have a different focus of what's important to the players and how they want to interact with the world.

Currently, none of these items are going to transfer into EverQuest Next once it launches.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    I have a hard time believing anyone in their right mind would spend $200 on these founder packages. It just boggles my mind that anyone would see value in their purchase. I know they do see value and not everyone values the same things as I do, but the cynic in my thinks the talk about buying these awesome packs are all talk and just intended to get other people to buy them because others said they were so awesome.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    I have a hard time believing anyone in their right mind would spend $200 on these founder packages. It just boggles my mind that anyone would see value in their purchase. I know they do see value and not everyone values the same things as I do, but the cynic in my thinks the talk about buying these awesome packs are all talk and just intended to get other people to buy them because others said they were so awesome.

Why does anyone purchase something that we can't fathom?  Just differing value systems and availability of disposable income.

I regularly go to the movie theatres and pay 10.50 a person to see a film, I'm sure some on these forums would wonder at my reasoning for it, since you can easily "wait" and see it for 1.25 from Redbox.

They've got the cash, they have the interest, and smart developers are going to monetize their games any way they can.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    The logic is: what's $100? Less than a day's earnings. So I'm working one day to get the game earlier, earlier, earlier, nnaaaaaaw!! And I'm getting some fluff too! Bah, it's a no-brainer!

I don't want  this to be a debate about how we all value our money.  But the point of the post is that I really don't mind spending it.....  So long as I don't  waste it.  I don't want to spend it on Landmark only to learn later that the game I am more excited about will do everything Landmark does plus more.

As far as spending money on a "free" game?  If that's what I do for my primary source of entertainment, then $100 is cheap.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I regularly go to the movie theatres and pay 10.50 a person to see a film, I'm sure some on these forums would wonder at my reasoning for it, since you can easily "wait" and see it for 1.25 from Redbox.

growing up as a kid - i always got "wait and see" from my dad

except back in 70s, wait and see could be 5 years for movies to come to TV networks

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805

The simple answer is:  No.  Everquest Next will NOT feature these types of tools to be used in the game.  I'm not saying it won't happen down the road but you're certainly not going to have the tools to create and change the world like you do in Landmark.  These are two, quite literally, different types of games.  Landmark is the developers playground.  It's going to be a game in itself with combat, etc.

Everquest Next is a legit MMO, much like WoW or EQ 1/2.  So no.  They won't share the same features.

I like to complain about games.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805

If you have a income that can warrant the purchase and you enjoy the games, I don't see the problem.  I bought a Trailblazer pack for myself and once gifting is out I'm going to buy a copy for my girl friend and three more for some of my friends for Christmas.  It all amounts to how much you have and how much money you can spend.  

I like to complain about games.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I don't think anyone thinks spending twice normal price for a game that is still in production is a good deal. There are tons of other reasons to spend money than it is a good deal though and $100 isn't exactly a ton of money. You can easily spend that much on one night of entertainment going to a concert, taking family to baseball game etc.

• QuillimQuillim Member UncommonPosts: 83

GURPS for MMO's pretty much covers EQN Landmark.

EQN Landmark is the answer to: I COULD HAVE BUILT BETTER! Well.. if you think you're so good, now you'll have all the tools to show us your supposed prowess at anything other than destructive commenting. This is going to be college for would-be MMO game developers.

Its basically a MMO for developing MMO's.

One thing they could really do to clarify things is remove 'EQ Next' from the title of the game. Simply call it SOE Landmark.. or just Landmark. If its an MMO to build MMO's.. then having EQ Next in the name is a misnomer.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Honestly, I am more excited for Landmark than I am for EQN. I am jumping on this, but it is Next that I am still only thinking about.

All die, so die well.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

I would only get this if you're interested in Landmark.  Don't get it thinking you'll get some type of perk with EQN.  They never said you would and you will be setting yourself up for disappointment.

They have said that Landmark is the testing ground for EQN however.  So if you want to be first to experience those concepts then a Founder Pack may be the way to go.  But know what you're getting.  Watch the livestream and ask yourself if you will be happy with what you see now and what they will reasonable be adding in the near future.

If the answer is yes, then jump in.  If it's no, wait and see.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Ender4

There is pretty much no way that buying these packs will carry over to EQ Next though. I think that is just wishful thinking.

agree

http://www.reddit.com/user/terryjmichaels

These items are for Landmark. While they're built on the same technology, each game will have a different focus of what's important to the players and how they want to interact with the world.

Currently, none of these items are going to transfer into EverQuest Next once it launches.

Good, thanks for the official response. I'll just wait till they announce the EverQuest Next pack.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Kwon

Aside from themes and narrative, will the interface, tools, mechanics, crafting system, guild system, etc be exactly the same?

The conclusion I am trying to make is this:  I want to play Next, but I'm digging what Landmark is putting down.  Do I spend $200 (on 2 founders packs)  on Landmark only to leave it and do the same things and more in Next?  Is Next everything (litteraly) that landmark is but with Norath themes and a persistent story line?

I know SOE wont tell me because they want money form me for both, but That's not going to happen.

you could spend $20 and start playing 31 days after the people that pay $100.

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

Why do people spend millions on paintings or statues?

Why did 375 people around the world spend GB£866,000 (€1,030,000 or US$1,350,000) for a McLaren P1 this year?

I can buy thousands of restaurant dinners, movie tickets, help thousands of people in need around the world and buy 13,500 Trailblazer packs.

Can you answer this questions?

I will be buying a Trailblazer founder pack for myself. I saved enough cash for it and I know I will enjoy the game and my special founder items.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
    Originally posted by Quillim

GURPS for MMO's pretty much covers EQN Landmark.

EQN Landmark is the answer to: I COULD HAVE BUILT BETTER! Well.. if you think you're so good, now you'll have all the tools to show us your supposed prowess at anything other than destructive commenting. This is going to be college for would-be MMO game developers.

Its basically a MMO for developing MMO's.

One thing they could really do to clarify things is remove 'EQ Next' from the title of the game. Simply call it SOE Landmark.. or just Landmark. If its an MMO to build MMO's.. then having EQ Next in the name is a misnomer.

Errr... No, not really. You see, all you can build is decorations. Houses. Castles. A game is much more than that. It's a combat system, abilities, progression, etc. Nothing of that you can build in Landmark. They want to add this, but what they want and what is realistic to do are very different things; whatever they add, will be extremely limited in scope.

Storybriks AI will help you to build your own story, but will not help you to build, say, your own combat and abilities into that story.

• SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    They've said that stuff you build can be brought from landmark to next, so that probably explains it. I don't think you can build anything in next, only craft.
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    If the Landmark items/perks carried over to EQN I would consider a purchase, but it doesn't so I will just wait for EQN.
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Ridrith

If you have a income that can warrant the purchase and you enjoy the games, I don't see the problem.  I bought a Trailblazer pack for myself and once gifting is out I'm going to buy a copy for my girl friend and three more for some of my friends for Christmas.  It all amounts to how much you have and how much money you can spend.  

I've heard this reasoning used often.  I find that those who can truly afford things don't really need to talk about it.  

For myself, I don't invest until there is substance.