Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holy grail

Scott1102Scott1102 Member Posts: 6

Hi all. First post here so hi! :)

basically  this is a message to anyone who played guild wars 1. 

I cant seem to find a game that is anywhere close to the experience guild wars gave me. I love to play support classes, primarily a Healer/monk. But after playing many MMORPG's including one on IOS. It seems most if not all focus too much on solo play and the ability to self heal. 

Guild wars 1 forced you to play in teams for everything not just elite areas. If there where no teams around the game allowed you to choose NPC henchmen to fight with you so you could still be a healer.  Now it seems you are either never needed or only in harder areas of the game. The game on IOS iv been playing over the last week iv basically teamed up twice and that was due to Boredom, I could have just solo'd it. 

So in a nutshell, is there any games out there that still employ the "trinity" or more like guild wars 1? 

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

There are lots of games that employ trinity, but sadly there are no games like GW1. GW2 is aimed at a different audience, and as such, is a whole different game.

What might be more discouraging is that none of the upcoming games are trying to fill the niche GW1 occupied either. So it might be a long wait until you get anything remotely similar.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Scott1102Scott1102 Member Posts: 6

Thanks for your reply :)

i understand and I won't get an exact copy of GW. It was definitely one of a kind. 

Just really want want a game that employs the trinity and really uses it. So players NEED a monk and a DPS. I understand some ppl hate the idea of waiting in a town saying "looking for healer" all day. But that's the game for me. 

is there a game like that? Where as the grouping is it's prime focus like GW1?

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Scott1102

i understand and I won't get an exact copy of GW. It was definitely one of a kind. 

Just really want want a game that employs the trinity and really uses it. So players NEED a monk and a DPS. I understand some ppl hate the idea of waiting in a town saying "looking for healer" all day. But that's the game for me. 

Most MMO's you level like that if you want. Last character I leveled in SWTOR (a really solo-able game) to 55 was doing 4 man Flashpoints (dungeons).

Was actually really fun as I was playing with people all the time. These are PUGS aswell, so your playing with different people. Some are good, some are crap.

It's what I tend to do now in MMO's. Treat them like lobby games with friends. (Like LAN parties I had for doom/quake when I was younger).

GW1 I believe was more lobby based but you can play other MMORPG's like that if you want. Try F2P games with an LFG tool.

I think (looking back) how it worked so well in GW1 was because the missions/quests where in outposts where you clicked "start mission" so it forced you to find a pug before starting. Dunno... Lol

i did download Rift, but didn't want to ply hundreds of hours in just in case it wasn't trinity based. 

Sorry for double post. Just read about Rift and it seems the trinity doesn't really exist in it.

Anyone else have any suggestions for a game that has trinity system? Where each class is unique
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Eh, I think you might be misusing the term "trinity". Trinity or "the holy trinity" means combat roles can be divided into three rough archetypes: tank, healer, DPS. It doesn't really matter how many classes the game has, or even if the game has classes in the first place; when combat has that dynamic (or something close to it), you can say it is a trinity.

Rift definitely uses trinity for group content. Also, Guild Wars might have one of the weakest trinities around, since there is no taunt and neither pure tank or pure healer is strictly mandatory (unlike in some other games).

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

well think the newest game which is focused on the trinity system is final fantasy xiv. but also the healer in tera was realy fun to me. next year there will be some new mmos with healer classes too.

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

Most GW2 fans won't admit it but man did they drop the ball dumping the Holy Trinity thing. it kills me. GW2 has the best graphics, good action type of combat, great music, a pretty large and beautiful world to explore.. But man the game just seems ruined because of the lack of trinity. There is zero accountability in any combat scenario.

Only in MMOS can one bad idea ruin a $100 million dollar investment. And once its implemented no one has the guts to fix it..

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

it might not be overall similar, but certain aspects of D&DO are the same.

free2play too

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I played Guild Wars for years and I'm enjoying Guild Wars 2 just as much if not more. It's worth a look.

Edit: Just noticed... you actually want a trinity? Huh... maybe GW2 isn't for you then... they tossed that concept aside (to the benefit of them game in my opinion). Hmm... well, WoW is pretty hardcore for needing a trinity or you fail, as are most other MMOs...

The original GW had a soft trinity... no taunting type mechanics, body blocking, loose aggro. Mesmers ftw by the way.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Why are you looking at MMOs to reproduce a feeling you got from a game that wasn't an MMO?
    I tried GW2 and hated it. Spent years on the first game achieving GWAMM and filling my hall eagerly awaiting it's follow up and didn't like it one bit.

I just feel (like many I think) that GW2 strips you of any identity or specialness. With trinity when you choose your class right at the beginning of the game your choosing your own path. A unique set of skills and talents that no other profession can manage. A warrior, super physical strength and armour to soak up damage and go toe to toe with bad guys. A monk to keep the team up and kicking and when all else fails to bring them back from the dead. A Mage who can control the elements and deal out massive damage or a Ranger who can commune with nature and relies on his survivability to stay alive.

You lose all that with GW2. Introducing open world and removing trinity every player becomes bland clones of each other with no specific traits to bring to the table. Might aswell remove the class system all together as there is no use for it. This is purely out of experience not internet reading. During my few weeks on. GW2 i did participate in a group battle, turned up with another 20 players stood there and I swear i didn't even press a button and they killed the boss. What was the point in me being there? Then once the bad guy died everyone scattered like cockroaches that's just been disturbed. No group play or team work, just turn up bash some keys then run away.

I always thought MMO stood for "Massive Multiplayer Online" or something like that? If Guild Wars 1 was not an MMO then I have no clue what it was.....
  • paulrgodpaulrgod Member UncommonPosts: 240

FFXI could be the game you're looking for - never have i played an MMO that was so dependent on other players in a group than this.  I do however hear that it's become less so these days but still a great MMO imo... in fact my all time favorite.

You do need to buy the game and pony up a sub to play.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by paulrgod

FFXI could be the game you're looking for - never have i played an MMO that was so dependent on other players in a group than this.  I do however hear that it's become less so these days but still a great MMO imo... in fact my all time favorite.

or FFXIV.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• SacriaSacria Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by GuyClinch

Most GW2 fans won't admit it but man did they drop the ball dumping the Holy Trinity thing. it kills me. GW2 has the best graphics, good action type of combat, great music, a pretty large and beautiful world to explore.. But man the game just seems ruined because of the lack of trinity. There is zero accountability in any combat scenario.

Only in MMOS can one bad idea ruin a $100 million dollar investment. And once its implemented no one has the guts to fix it..

Tera has better combat, tera has better graphics, tera's world is larger..... The music in tera is pretty bad though.  Not to mention it's horrific enchanting system (which is where tera fucked up massively.)

But yeah I agree with your point but it still smells like fanboism.

Anyway games that still have the trinity:

Rift.

Wow.

FFXIV

Tera.

everquest series.

And plenty more but these are the ones I recall off the top of my head.

• paulrgodpaulrgod Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by aspekx
    Originally posted by paulrgod

or FFXIV.

Erm no.... FFXIV is nothing like FFXI and therefore nothing like what the OP was asking for....

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    LoTRO - Group dynamics are key in dungeon runs and such.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA